Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,819 members, 7,851,744 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:06 AM

Sambo: Jonathan ’ll Defeat Ibb, Atiku In The North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sambo: Jonathan ’ll Defeat Ibb, Atiku In The North (543 Views)

Osinbajo, Tinubu, Saraki, Atiku In A Meeting / Anxiety Mounts As Buhari Keeps Tinubu, Atiku In The Dark Over New Cabinet / President Jonathan, IBB & Atiku Begs Obasanjo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sambo: Jonathan ’ll Defeat Ibb, Atiku In The North by oladayo042: 7:18am On Aug 31, 2010
•Nobody can intimidate me, says President

•'Facebook' fans: He must run

Vice-President Namadi Sambo has a strong message for those who believe that if President Goodluck Jonathan declares his intention to contest next year’s presidential election, Northerners will not vote for him.

The former Kaduna State governor, who was sworn-in as the number two citizen on Wednesday, May 19, said if his boss joins the race, he would get more votes than some aspirants who hail from the zone.

Former Head of State, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), his successor, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd), former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, Governor Ibrahim Shekarau of Kano State and Mrs. Sarah Jubril have already joined the race from the North.

Sambo, the highest-ranking officer from the zone, also said that his position as Jonathan’s running mate is not threatened. He described as false the report that some governors are against the Jonathan/Sambo ticket for the election.

He declared in an interview in Abuja: “If the people that are talking do not have personal interest, then it will be a different matter. But when you see people that have interest, and they are the same people talking, then it becomes a kind of problem. It is not true that all Northerners are backing them. We will get more votes in the North. That is the truth.

“This issue is purely a PDP matter and I can tell you to go and investigate and find out the true position of the North. The majority of the North or the majority of Nigerians, their concern is who can save the present situation and let Nigerians live above poverty level. Their concern is about who can deliver so that our society will change to a society we can all be proud of so that our socio-economic status will improve. I think that is the major concern of Nigerians.

“We are 50 already. Our concern is not whether North or South, our concern is who can deliver Nigeria to us. And this is the situation. We are delivering Nigeria and I believe we are in a position to deliver the promise that Nigerians want”.

Also speaking with a tone suggesting his determination to contest the 2011 elections, Jonathan said yesterday that his various meetings with some power brokers should not be seen as an act of cowardice.

In fact, Jonathan, who became the President after the death of Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua on May 5, this year, said nobody could intimidate him if eventually he decides to declare his intention to contest next year.

In a statement issued by Presidential spokesman, Ima Niboro, the President said it was unfortunate that his various meetings with other politicians have been misinterpreted.

Niboro also said a report by a national newspaper that South-South governors were out to sabotage his boss was not only inaccurate but misleading.

The statement reads: “It is extremely uncharitable for any one to spin these meetings in such negative lights, and attempt to force the President into retreat from these well thought out engagements with political leaders of all hue and disposition in the interest of the country.

“The newpaper continued it’s on going campaign of calumny against President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, when it served up a tissue of lies today (yesterday) on the President’s recent meeting with former military President, General Ibrahim Babangida. This comes after an outrightly false claim served up on Sunday, to the effect that the President complained to some Northern group that visited him that some South-South Governors were out to sabotage him. The newspaper refused to correct this false report even after it was firmly reminded that it failed to double check its information, and that the story is completely untrue.

“Twenty four hours later, it is at it again. This time, it is another lie that the President tried to talk Babangida out of his ambition to return to office.

“Anyone who has even a passing acquaintance with the President knows he is not one who dissuades people from pursuing their personal ambitions. This is even more so when there is no purpose to be served by it, since the long suffering mass of the Nigerian people would decide who governs them in a free and fair contest.

“Since June 12, 1993, Nigerians have in successive elections become wiser. The next presidential elections, no matter who the candidates are, would sound a resonant Never Again! Never again shall the will of the Nigerian people be quashed underfoot by the vaunting ambitions of a few.

“This is what the President has promised Nigerians, and he is fully committed to delivering on this pledge. It is therefore unfortunate that any self-respecting newspaper should lend its pages to reporting a series of lies against the person and the institution of the Presidency. These tales are unverified and sourced from openly interested parties. They are lies, pure and simple.

“The fact is that President Jonathan has been meeting different leaders on different occasions and platforms. Some have come to inform him of their intention to run for the presidency. Others he has met with as a matter of courtesy being a sitting President, and keen to ensure that the next presidential elections do not degenerate into a do-or-die affair as our elections are sometimes wont to do.

“He has met former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar; he has met Babangida; he has met Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, and will meet him again soon. He has met with Gen. Yakubu Gowon, two time President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo; former President, Alhaji Shehu Shagari; former Vice-President, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, and former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar. He will meet with even more leaders and political actors as the race to 2011 heats up.

“It is extremely uncharitable for any one to spin these meetings in such negative lights, and attempt to force the President into retreat from these well thought out engagements with political leaders of all hue and disposition in the interest of the country.

“We think it is time to put an end to this long line of false stories and verify what is served to the general public”.

Also on the popular social network site, Facebook, the President thanked his numerous admirers calling on him to contest.

He said before declaring his intention, he must consult with God and Nigerians. He also unveiled the efforts he has made since May 6 when he became the President to alleviate the suffering of the masses.

He said: “Let me dedicate today to thank all of you who have in your reactions and comments on this page urged me to run in the forth coming 2011 presidential elections. Like I said elsewhere, offering myself for further service is not my decision to make alone.

“It is one decision that I must take in solemn consultation with God Almighty and Nigerians. The decision must ultimately be based on clarity of conviction and vision. It is in this regard that I want to thank the people of the North-Central, South-South, North-West, North-East, South-East and South-West zones of the PDP for their encouragements, prayers and urgings.

“We have launched the Power Road Map and have also made some progress in the areas of Electoral Reforms with the appointment of Prof. Jega, signing of the Electoral Act and the prompt release of N87.7 billion to INEC and peace in the Niger Delta with the commencement in Obudu of the re-orientation of repentant militants.

“I have also taken time to inform you of the progress made in tackling issues such as stimulating economic growth by providing generous credit facilities to the tune of N500 billion to the real sector, cleansing the financial sector with the signing into law of the AMCON Act to serve as a safety net against bad loans as well as the political support given to the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to take decisive action to protect investors in the capital market.

“In the anti-corruption war, I am pleased to state with a clear conscience that this administration has not interfered with the EFCC and the ICPC and I have instructed the Attorney-General to treat every Nigerian equally under the law with no sacred cows.

“I also told you of the implementation of the one-year Action Plan for the education sector to increase the capacity of the sector to attract funding and ensure that such funding is channelled into increasing the service delivery capacity of the sector.

“Indeed, I took time to enlighten you of our plans to pay living wages to all workers under the employ of the Federal Government in addition to the N150 billion set aside for the bail out of the textile industry with N30 billion of that already disbursed.

“In addition to these, I gave you details of the progress we made in the aviation sector such that our efforts bore fruit with the Category 1 certification awarded Nigeria which means that Nigerian registered airlines and aircraft can now fly directly to any airport in the United States.

“In the down stream sector of the oil industry, I took the time to enlighten you of plans now in advanced stages to build new refineries so that we can refine locally and export to fuel thirsty neighbours.

“I also ordered the Petroleum Minister to clean up the sector so that exports can be maximised and further downstream to make fuel available in our filling stations.

“I am constantly pleased to read your comments on this page, testifying to the ease with which you now buy petrol for your cars. These and many other programmes and plans I have shared with you to let you know that in as much as there is a frenzy of activities occasioned by the coming elections, I have not deviated from my primary responsibility which is to provide leadership for Nigeria that is geared towards maintaining law and order and ensuring the peace and economic progress of Nigeria and Nigerians.

“I thank everyone and group that has so far endorsed me and this administration and say to you that your endorsement strengthens and inspires me to keep on serving Nigeria to the best of my abilities so help me God”.

By Lateef Ibrahim & Akeem Oyetunji, Abuja

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66649:sambo-jonathan-ll-defeat-ibb-atiku-in-the-north&catid=672:top-stories&Itemid=794

Re: Sambo: Jonathan ’ll Defeat Ibb, Atiku In The North by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 31, 2010
GEJ shld not just trust the everybody that surround him esp these northerners.

(1) (Reply)

Rebranding Vs Dora Akunyili / Gusau Denies Dumping Northern Pact On Single Candidacy / Wole Soyinka Launches Political Party- Dfpf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.