Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,564 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm (15743 Views)

Buhari Raises 13-Member Panel To Probe Weapon Procurement Since 2007 / APC Raises Alarm Over Withdrawal Of Customs, Immigration Personnel From Border / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by sevule(m): 12:29pm On Sep 06, 2010
@ Sagamite: Your logic is sound and flawless, the only problem is that you are trying to convince people that have preconceived notions of Nigeria in their heads and have no interest in expanding their rather myopic and antiquated viewpoint.
@ Honeric01 et al: The statistics say 70% of Nigerians LIVE UNDER $1 a day not EARN a dollar a day. We all agree that the ratio of income earners to dependents in Nigeria is very high. So if as a civil servant I am earning 30k a month and I have a family of 6 to feed, lets do some simple maths.
Monthly income = 30,000
Daily income = 1,000
Family size = 7
Amount spent PER HEAD = 1000/7 = =N=142.8 (less than a dollar a day)
Assumptions: 1)Above mentioned civil servant SPENDS ALL his salary without having a single kobo as savings.
2)The civil servant HAS NO OTHER dependents(which is impossible in present day Nigeria).
Tkb made a very valid point of people having more than one income stream but when we compare the income of average Nigerians with the sheer number of dependents (let us not forget that a good percentage of Nigerians are polygamous) with the multiple income streams we would still arrive at the sad fact that almost 70%(give or take) of Nigerians live in poverty. Let us stop blaming others for our problems and realize that we have a FUNDAMENTAL problem with our burgeoning population vis a vis our current resources (not anticipated or untapped resources which wishful thinkers in this forum have been drumming into our ears ad nauseum )
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 12:55pm On Sep 06, 2010
sevule:

@ Honeric01 et al: The statistics say 70% of Nigerians LIVE UNDER $1 a day not EARN a dollar a day. We all agree that the ratio of income earners to dependents in Nigeria is very high. So if as a civil servant I am earning 30k a month and I have a family of 6 to feed, lets do some simple maths.
Monthly income = 30,000
Daily income = 1,000
Family size = 7
Amount spent PER HEAD = 1000/7 = =N=142.8 (less than a dollar a day)
Assumptions: 1)Above mentioned civil servant SPENDS ALL his salary without having a single kobo as savings.
2)The civil servant HAS NO OTHER dependents(which is impossible in present day Nigeria).

Here's your answers to your questions

honeric01:

So you actually think a basic salary of 7000-15,000 naira (civil servant) can actually do all these?[b] clothes
,school fees, buy goods and repair them etc? you think so?

Now, that's where you're getting it all wrong, Most Nigerians don't have one source of income, most homes all over Nigeria have more than 2 sources of incomes (except the unemployed/sick/extremely poor ones).
[/b]

An average Nigerian spend between 15k-30k per month on feeding (5 persons)

Most homes with 7-8 family size have some of their ward working on their own already, a Nigerian as young as 18 is already bringing money home to the family through casual jobs and all that, some of them don't even eat at home, rather they give to their parents. (Nigerian mentality, big boy/girl mentality).

yes, i strongly fault those "professionals" that came up with the 70% stat, 10 years ago? maybe debatable, but 2010, still 70%? that's absolutely rubbish (with all the urban migration that has happened so far).
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 1:09pm On Sep 06, 2010
^^^ That is why a lot of them cannot afford anything.

That is why a gift of N1000 to most junior civil servants gives you a lot of leg.

Furthermore, I think it is utter crap to say MOST people in Nigeria have 2 sources of income. That is fallacy.

Very, very few homes have 2 steady stream source of income. Once in a while, every few months, people might delve in some small scale investments. It is normally not steady.

Most people do not have 2 sources on income. Some few do.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 1:31pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

Futhermore, I think it is utter crap to say MOST people in Nigeria have 2 sources of income. That is fallacy.

Very, very few homes have 2 steady stream source of income. Once in a while, every few months, people might delve in some small scale investments. It is normally not steady.

Most people do not have 2 sources on income. Some few do.

Wetin u know self? your statements about Nigerians in Nigeria are so outdated that one would think you have never been to Nigeria.
Even those in the private sectors are into other biz that brings income to their pocket, not to talk of the public sectors. most teachers have shops of their own, most state and local government workers have shops scattered around Nigeria, in fact, i dey talk too much, Do your own research.

I have given you assignment, do the research yourself and stop posting this your one-way statement.

Got other things to worry about.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by REALTRUTH1: 2:30pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

- We can't adequately provide for the 150m we currently have.
- Our attempt to improve productivity and governance to improve our ability to provide for the current population is painfully slow and cannot match the population explosion.
- Weather patterns and land fertility structures are changing drastically with us having limited understanding of why, the likely developments and likely final state, so our current agricultural knowledge would be eroded and become obsolete hence we might not be be able to control our food productions which might lead to food shortages.
Yet people do not see a problem with our spiralling population?
The truth is Nigeria presently is far more than 150Million population wise,,,,Nobody takes a country serious which lacks verifiable statistical data about very fundamental indices that defines such country! The census board of Nigeria claims that Lagos population is 9Million plus,,,,whereas the Lagos State Government believes that it is over 20Million,,
Anybody who have lived in or being to areas such as Ajegunle,,Orile Iganmu,,Badia,,Agege,,Okokomaiko,,Oshodi,Mushin and other areas of lagos would know that Lagos is truly almost or over 20 Million,,,
By my thinking,,Nigeria is far more than or almost 200Million population wise,,,what is your thinking about this??
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

Wetin u know self? your statements about Nigerians in Nigeria are so outdated that one would think you have never been to Nigeria.
Even those in the private sectors are into other biz that brings income to their pocket, not to talk of the public sectors. most teachers have shops of their own, most state and local government workers have shops scattered around Nigeria, in fact, i dey talk too much, Do your own research.

I have given you assignment, do the research yourself and stop posting this your one-way statement.

Got other things to worry about.

No, I grew up in Nigeria and I am one of those that frequent Nigeria every year and keep in contact with a huge bunch of my high school mates and herds of cousins.

I cannot even put a finger on any that has extra income outside his salary, talkless of owning a shop. None whatsoever except friends that do not have a 9-5 job and own their own multiple businesses. Most are normally only aspiring to set up some entreprenuerial venture.

I am talking about between 20-30 people o.

I meet alot of them annually at weddings etc, so I am current.

I would think it would be logical if majority of workers have second incomes especially by virtue of a shop it will make a slight dent in my own sample list. And majority of my sample are all university grads.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 3:25pm On Sep 06, 2010
REAL TRUTH:

The truth is Nigeria presently is far more than 150Million population wise,,,,Nobody takes a country serious which  lacks verifiable statistical data about very fundamental indices that defines such country! The census board of Nigeria claims that Lagos population is 9Million plus,,,,whereas the Lagos State Government believes that it is over 20Million,,
Anybody who have lived in or being to areas such as Ajegunle,,Orile Iganmu,,Badia,,Agege,,Okokomaiko,,Oshodi,Mushin and other areas of lagos would know that Lagos is truly almost or over 20 Million,,,
By my thinking,,Nigeria is far more than or  almost 200Million population wise,,,what is your thinking about this??

I really don't think we can be 200m.

No 1, I don't think the census can be as wrong as that much a margin.

No 2, China, India, Pakistan etc that are more populous and dense than us can hardly claim any city over 20m. (Beijing is the only one over, at 22m)

No 3, even if Lagos is 20m most other states, by geographical distribution logic if you look at other countries, should not have the population to take us to 200m based on our urbanisation pattern. (at best, maybe 4 or 5 will be between 5m - 15m, then the rest of the states will trail down below 5m)
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 4:08pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

No, I grew up in Nigeria and I am one of those that frequent Nigeria every year and keep in contact with a huge bunch of my high school mates and herds of cousins.

I cannot even put a finger on any that has extra income outside his salary, talkless of owning a shop. None whatsoever except friends that do not have a 9-5 job and own their own multiple businesses. Most are normally only aspiring to set up some entreprenuerial venture.

I am talking about between 20-30 people o.

I meet alot of them annually at weddings etc, so I am current.

I would think it would be logical if majority of workers have second incomes especially by virtue of a shop it will make a slight dent in my own sample list. And majority of my sample are all university grads.

So you have a few of just 20-30 people, and you want to use that as a yardstick eh? well, are these your people civil servants? what's the size of their home? whats their take home pay? do you actually think they survive only on their salaries if they are civil servants?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by tkb417(m): 4:49pm On Sep 06, 2010
@People

i cant read back

what are you people saying?

@Topic
70% of Nigerians dont live on less than $1 dollar a day

Its a lie

oya Sagamite, 4play, sevsule, Tensor

what are u people saying
that after all expenses, after paying for ur rent, ur transport, ur childrns school fees, recharge cards, and others, what is left is less than $1 a day

and so ffcking what?

some rcih men actually have negative bank balances grin grin grin

not sure Femi Otedola sees profits at the end of the month grin grin grin

the bottom line is an average Nigerian can afford to eat meals, make fone calls, buy clothes, send children to school

thats the koko
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 5:42pm On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

So you have a few of just 20-30 people, and you want to use that as a yardstick eh? well, are these your people civil servants? what's the size of their home? whats their take home pay? do you actually think they survive only on their salaries if they are civil servants?

My point is that:

1) I know for sure that most people do not have shops except it is their main trade.

2) If most people do, then it will be reasonable to expect that out of my circle of 20-30 friends and family I know about, then at least about 5 (if not 16) should show the representation of the majority if it is true. But none does.

And No, they are not all civil servants. Most work in the private sector with salaries ranging from 13K to 600K per month (for the ones I know) and they live solely on that.

tkb, how many shops and danfos do you own to supplement your salary?

Honerico, same question to you.

None?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 5:47pm On Sep 06, 2010
tkb417:

some rcih men actually have negative bank balances grin grin grin

not sure Femi Otedola sees profits at the end of the month grin grin grin

Otedola has enough cash flow to buy a yatch for pleasure.

tkb417:

the bottom line is an average Nigerian can afford to eat meals, make fone calls, buy clothes, send children to school

thats the koko

The average urban dweller that is.

A lot of kids in some of the rural areas sit on the floor in shacks wearing rags. Meals, at best twice a day and not of the highest quality. Fone calls, is so rare, they are the ones than normally prostrate to the person on the line.

I knew an Hausa girl that 4 years ago was making N8000 a month as a nurse in Katsina, and she was not starving. And she had no side business.

She was planning (and went) to do postgrad that she told me would shoot it up to big money after graduation. That is N40,000.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 5:55pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

My point is that:

1) I know for sure that most people do not have shops except it if their main trade.

2) If most people do, then it will be reasonable to expect that out of my circle of 20-30 friends and family I know about, then at least about 5 should show the representation of the majority if it is true.

And No, they are not all civil servants. Most work in the private section with salaries ranging from 13K to 600K per month (for the ones I know) and they live solely on that.

Honerico, same question to you.

None?

Hehehehe, now tell me, how many of them earn #13k per month? what kinda job does he/she do? does she pay her/his house rent/ school fees/ feed/ transport/ handle other bills from this same #13k?
does he/she live alone? has mouths to feed from this #13k?

Because your 20-30 friends do not have other sources of income does not make some of the REST Nigerians so, your friends/family could be among those i exempted to be either poor/sick/handicapped or they just have enough to cater for their lives and needs, thereby not needing an extra income generator.

I do not work with the government nor under any private sector, i am on my own, and i have more than one source of income, i am not even rich, nor "poor", i have needed #1k in my account so bad before, and i have also had enough in my account that he didn't know what to do with them.

An average Nigerian is either a meat seller, tomatoes seller, fish seller, danfo driver, okada rider, shop owner, e.t.c, and most of us spend more than $1 every day on feeding.
Come to Nigeria, walk around Nigerian cities on fridays-sundays to see what i am saying about 70% of NIGERIANS not living below $1 per day!
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 5:58pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

A lot [/b]of kids in some of the rural areas sit on the floor in shacks wearing rags. Meals, at best twice a day and not of the highest quality. Fone calls, is so rare, they are the ones than normally prostrate to the person on the line.

The [b]a lot
you are talking about here, how many? 100? 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? how lot [/b]is the [b]lot?

you must have been checking around all the houses in the rural areas to have arrived at that findings.

How many Nigerians do you know in person that spends less than $1 a day?, let me make it easy, how did you come about the fact that 70% of Nigerians spend less than $1 a day?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 6:18pm On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

Hehehehe, now tell me, how many of them earn #13k per month? what kinda job does he/she do? does she pay her/his house rent/ school fees/ feed/ transport/ handle other bills from this same #13k?
does he/she live alone? has mouths to feed from this #13k?

Only one I know of that earns N13K. He is a teacher in a "private" school in Lagos. He is lucky he has an apartment left behind by his parents, so he does not pay rent but shares with 2 siblings. Works locally, so can trek to work. Has a wife and new born baby.

The next makes about N18K and has to feed about 9 (siblings and parent). Also lucky the father left a roof behind. And he tells me things are worse for others around.

Majority sit within the N100K to N200K mark and are grads.

honeric01:

Because your 20-30 friends do not have other sources of income does not make some of the REST Nigerians so, your friends/family could be among those i exempted to be either poor/sick/handicapped or they just have enough to cater for their lives and needs, thereby not needing an extra income generator.

They are not handicapped. Some are poor.

I repeat:

Sagamite:

2) If most people do, then it will be reasonable to expect that out of my circle of 20-30 friends and family I know about, then at least about 5 (if not 16) should show the representation of the majority if it is true. But none does.

It is a fallacy to say majority of Nigerians have a second income stream especially shops apart from the income. Pure conjecture.

honeric01:

An average Nigerian is either a meat seller, tomatoes seller, fish seller, danfo driver, okada rider, shop owner, e.t.c, and most of us spend more than $1 every day on feeding.
Come to Nigeria, walk around Nigerian cities on fridays-sundays to see what i am saying about 70% of NIGERIANS not living below $1 per day!

Nah, I repeat majority of Nigerians live in rural areas and live off the land. No way do they spend up to N150 per day on food only.

That is applying Lagos/PH/ABJ/KD/JOS/etc life to paint Nigeria.

It is not the same in Otukpo, Otukpa, Obolo-Ofor, Ilesha, Kutigi, Yelwa, Damaturu, Akamkpa, Omuo-Ekiti, Kagoro, Kataf, Yelwa, Zugeru, Igbeti, Ago-Are, Eruwa, Burutu, Bonny I can go on and on.

Complete fallacy.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by tkb417(m): 6:36pm On Sep 06, 2010
@sagamite
i tot of buying Hiace buses to run lagos/Abuja routes years back but dropped the idea when the vibes frm my folks were negative

Point is, many people i know in Nigeria do a lotta informal things to make money aside

u don get my new YIM?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 6:43pm On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

The a lot you are talking about here, how many? 100? 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? how lot [/b]is the [b]lot?

you must have been checking around all the houses in the rural areas to have arrived at that findings.

How many Nigerians do you know in person that spends less than $1 a day?, let me make it easy, how did you come about the fact that 70% of Nigerians spend less than $1 a day?

How did you know most Nigerian's have shops?

Most Nigerians live in rural areas. FACT.

Most of the villages in the rural areas would barely have up to 20 shops, so how can majority in the villagers own shops? Where do they own it?

Show me your source and research. I am very confident, knowing you, that it is mere figure in the air assumption.

How did I arrive at my own conclusion?

Superior analytical thinking.

1) In most countries the commercial hub or Capital has highest average earnings. FACT!

In UK, London has the highest average wages, in Spain it will be Madrid or Barcelona, in Italy Milan, In Nigeria Lagos or Abuja. FACT!

2) Average wage figures across the rest of the countries is normally without exception far lower, especially in rural areas. You can make £10K in Montrose, support a family and survive well. In London or even Leeds, with the same money, you will be almost homeless if without government support.

Here, compare London incomes to the rest of UK:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/income_distribution/3_13_apr06.PDF

The average employment income of London is 7-10K more than Wales, Scotland, NI and the rest of England. If you calculate it and exclude the cities in the latter 4 in the 4's averages (that is remove Manchester, Edinburgh, Leeds, Belfast etc from the averages), it would be close to 10-12K difference.

Same applies to Nigeria. Another special FACT for you: average wages in Lagos cannot be more than N30K per month infusing some generousity there. So I can deduce considering the income gap in Nigeria and my knowledge of the land that average wage in rural areas cannot be more than N10K (I am sure it is far less as most people are unemployed), yet they have a lot of mouths to feed.

Can you see the logic process?

Now explain how you came by your majority of people have shops.

Explain how you came to the conclusion that villagers do not like to dress nice.

Explain how you came to the conclusion that food cost is the same in across Nigeria (in Villages and cities, prices are the same).

I wait for your explanations.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by tkb417(m): 6:45pm On Sep 06, 2010
whats your defination of a rural area

and who told u Femi otedola can buy a yatch today?

hahaha, dude cannot even sleep; u talking abot buyin a yatch
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 6:47pm On Sep 06, 2010
tkb417:

@sagamite
i tot of buying Hiace buses to run lagos/Abuja routes years back but dropped the idea when the vibes frm my folks were negative

Slacker!

You no get danfo?  shocked

Ergbe! grin

As usual, you are like every other homeboy I know, ONE steady income and aspirations (looking for the big idea). Utter bollocks that majority of Nigerians have shops.

tkb417:

Point is, many people i know in Nigeria do a lotta informal things to make money aside

As I said earlier, the might make some 1 or 2 ad hoc investments every year (buy gold in Dubai and sell in Ikoyi) but there is NO steady second income.

tkb417:

u don get my new YIM?

I get now. Shebi we chatted on it?

Abi, that one don virus again?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by tkb417(m): 6:49pm On Sep 06, 2010
@Saga

Youre getting it all wrong

70% of the danfos in Lagos are owned by civil servants and teachers

FACT!!! ( Dont tell me to show you proof)
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 6:53pm On Sep 06, 2010
tkb417:

whats your defination of a rural area

Rural na!

Countryside, no be city. No be Lagos, PHC, IB, KD, ABJ, KANO or any of the other capital cities and second and third towns of the respective state.

Usually a place that is over 95% original indigenes. Slow pace of life and substinance farming/animal rearing is major employment oppotunity. People do not migrate their as it has no economic hub activity.

Markets, no supermarket or night clubs.

tkb417:

and who told u Femi otedola can buy a yatch today?

hahaha, dude cannot even sleep; u talking abot buyin a yatch

Wetin do am?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by tkb417(m): 6:59pm On Sep 06, 2010
so if i live in Ile -Ife, im living in a rural area?

or you joking

what about Ijebu Ode

u need to come down to 9ja fast

Otedola is broke- hes owing everybody
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:01pm On Sep 06, 2010
tkb417:

@Saga

Youre getting it all wrong

70% of the danfos in Lagos are owned by civil servants and teachers

FACT!!! ( Dont tell me to show you proof)

Let me say I believe you. I think it just adds more to my argument

What % of Lagosians are civil servants?

5%?

What % of Lagosians are unemployed or underemployed? 50? 60? 70?

So at the end of the day even with your assertion, the average man is unemployed/underemployed and some are scrapping by since they have to pass a good fraction of their earnings to the civil servant danfo owner.

Even you yourself, what would you guage is the average salary of a 5-year graduate living in Lagos (exclude the huge volume of them that are unemployed). 60K? 80?

No use your gbogbo big boys realm of friends o. Average across the board.

And grads I am sure on average make more than the average artisan.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:04pm On Sep 06, 2010
tkb417:

so if i live in Ile -Ife, im living in a rural area?

or you joking

what about Ijebu Ode

u need to come down to 9ja fast

Ife is a major university city. Ago-Iwoye is a rural area though, despite university being there.

Ijebu Ode is third city of Ogun State (Abeokuta is second, Sagamu is first  grin) and is in a state close to Lag. Most states in the SW and close to Lagos will have about 6 city/towns that are not rural.

Somewhere like Sokoto, Yobe, Adamawa, Benue, Bayelsa, Kogi, Plateau, Akwa Ibom, Imo, Anambra can not have more than 3.

Even Ife and Ijebu-Ode will have hordes of non-indigenes that have migrated there.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by tkb417(m): 7:06pm On Sep 06, 2010
hahahaha

ur stats are faulty

lemme segment the people in Lagos for u

Civil servants - 20%
OPS -                15%
artisans     -      35%
beggars -           1%
unemployed        5%
under employed  24%

Thats how Lagos people are segmented (the artisans are the people in mushin, oshodi, mile 2, alaba et al)
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2010
tkb417:

hahahaha

your stats are faulty

lemme segment the people in Lagos for u

Civil servants - 20%
OPS -                15%
artisans     -      35%
beggars -           1%
unemployed        5%
under employed  24%

Thats how Lagos people are segmented (the artisans are the people in mushin, oshodi, mile 2, alaba et al)

Ok, if I was to make reasonable assumptions: 60% of Lagosians are unemployed, underemployed and poorly paid?

My assumptions was that, conservatively, 20% of the artisans and 10% of the CS and OPS earn peanuts. And I added it to the beggars and blah blah.

So majority are struggling.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 7:31pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

How did you know most Nigerian's have shops?

Most of the villages would barely have up to 20 shops, so how can majority in the village own shops? Where do they own it?

Show me your source and research. I am very confident, knowing you that it is mere figure in the air assumption.

How did I arrive at my own conclusion?

Superior analytical thinking.

Same applies to Nigeria. Another special FACT for you: average wages in Lagos cannot be more than N30K per month infusing some generousity their. So I can deduce considering the income gap in Nigeria and my knowledge of the land that average wage in rural areas cannot be more than N10K (I am sure it is far less as most people are unemployed), yet they have a lot of mouths to feed.

Can you see the logic process?

Now explain how you came by your majority of people have shops.

Explain how you came to the conclusion that villagers do not like to dress nice.

Explain how you came to the conclusion that food cost is the same in across Nigeria (in Villages and cities, prices are the same).

I wait for your explanations.

I can see that you like typing, typing typing typing, yet they tend to be the same thing all over again, and it also seems like you are dragging me into this your recycling typing method too.

Ok, i will type small small sha.

All those links (foreign) wey u dey post na for your pocket, for Nigerian system, what works abroad does not neccesarily work here, because it is like that overthere does not make it so overhere, so sorry bro, post something from Nigeria.

Can you back up your statements with proof? MOST people live in rural areas? the rural area you are talking about, how many of these people did you find out from about the amount they spend on feeding per day?

Did you go into their houses to ask if they spend less than $1 a day or not?

What the city dwellers consume were gotten from the rural dwellers at a price, only few people in the rural areas work for the government, the rest are self employed (very rare to find someone not working in the village, except if he or she is lazy or handicapped (some of them own lands and they farm and do other things on their lands)

Most of the people in the towns, villages are into fishing/farming/hunting, most of them have city clients who come on a daily/weekly basis to buy from them, they may not have the "physical shop", but they surely have a place they transact business with their clients (apart from the general market).

The market these people transact business is not a normal market, rather it's a market where city merchants come to buy from the locals in LARGE quantities.

You surely do not have any superior thinking about the Nigerian settings, rather you have a tied up, recycled, fixed thinking about Nigeria and the rural area, you do not even know how they transact business in the rural areas, in your mind, you think these rural dwellers sell within themselves only, far from it, they sell to city dwellers and they also eat from what they harvest. (which is surely more than $1 if valued in naira).

I have had opportunities to work in rural areas when i was still with my boss, these people EAT CORRECT food more than the city dwellers, they don't economize their food, they eat abundantly, don't let the "rags" you see them wear deceive you, they might not have tap waters, electricity, street light, silverbird, but they surely know how to feed themselves with what i just listed above.

I repeat, when it comes to FOOD, Nigerians don't starve, they surely know how to eat, they know how to feed themselves, PLEASE FOR THE LAST TIME, never you say the rural dwellers spend less than $1 a day on feeding if you don't have a glaring fact to back it up.

I have been to ovia north, Ude, Akoko, Isale Apata, Odogunyan, sapele e.t.c and i have lived in these places for 1 day-3 months before.

I think we won't end this discussion if we continue this way.

I want to give you an assignment that you still haven't completed since i first gave you.

Where in the Rural areas have you been to?
How many families have you seen eating?
must these family pay cash for the food they eat before you value the food?

How do you know if a farmer eats less than a dollar a day if he eats what he planted himself?
How do you know if a fisherman eats less than a dollar a day if he eats what he caught himself.

As for the civil servants, most of them own the shops you see around, most of them own the danfos, bikes you see around.

Research! research!!, research!!!

i rest my case!!!!
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:52pm On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

All those links (foreign) wey u dey post na for your pocket, for Nigerian system, what works abroad does not neccesarily work here, because it is like that overthere does not make it so overhere, so sorry bro, post something from Nigeria.

Can you back up your statements with proof? MOST people live in rural areas? the rural area you are talking about, how many of these people did you find out from about the amount they spend on feeding per day?

So people in rural areas make as much as those in Lagos?

Yet, people migrate at droves to Lagos looking for the honey on the streets?

honeric01:

What the city dwellers consume were gotten from the rural dwellers at a price, only few people in the rural areas work for the government, the rest are self employed (very rare to find someone not working in the village, except if he or she is lazy or handicapped (some of them own lands and they farm and do other things on their lands)

Back up your assertion that few people in rural areas work for the govt.

Where is your proof?

Did you go to there houses one by one to ask them?

honeric01:

Most of the people in the towns, villages are into fishing/farming/hunting, most of them have city clients who come on a daily/weekly basis to buy from them, they may not have the "physical shop", but they surely have a place they transact business with their clients (apart from the general market).

Back up your assertion that most people in towns and villages are into fishing/farming/hunting.

Back up your assertion that most have city clients.

Where is your proof?

honeric01:

The market these people transact business is not a normal market, rather it's a market where city merchants come to buy from the locals in LARGE quantities.

Back up your assertion that their main market is city merchants.

Where is your proof?

You are yet to show me any proof.

Did you go around all the villages checking?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:58pm On Sep 06, 2010
You still have not explained how you came to the conclusion that villagers don't dress nice because they don't like to show off.

And how you came to the conclusion that food cost is the same in across Nigeria (in Villages and cities, prices are the same).

I am still waiting.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 8:00pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

You still have not explained how you came to the conclusion that villagers don't dress nice because they don't like to show off.

And how you came to the conclusion that food cost is the same in across Nigeria (in Villages and cities, prices are the same).

I am still waiting.

Because it's clearer for everyone to see, they don't spend all day watching TV, lusting after some expensive clothes, they don't have silverbird to visit, nor do they have to go to a nightclub, that shouldn't be hard for you to have pointed out yourself.

Why do you think people in the cities wear expensive clothes? undecided
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 8:08pm On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

Because it's clearer for everyone to see, they don't spend all day watching TV, lusting after some expensive clothes, they don't have silverbird to visit, nor do they have to go to a nightclub, that shouldn't be hard for you to have pointed out yourself.

Why do you think people in the cities wear expensive clothes? undecided

Sorry?

That is why they were dirty clothes, have BOs and have decayed teeth?

Try again, that did not work.

You really need to explain to me how a specie of animals do not do it bests to be attractive. That is the fundamental of animal mating existence (especially humans) and right here on NL, you are revolutionarily redefining animal behaviour.

Also, you did not answer how you came to the conclusion that food cost is the same in across Nigeria (in Villages and cities, prices are the same).
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 8:15pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

So people in rural areas make as much as those in Lagos?

Yet, people migrate at droves to Lagos looking for the honey on the streets?

Back up your assertion that few people in rural areas work for the govt.

Hehehe, all in your bid to defend your points, where did you see me type about rural dwellers earning more than the city dwellers? another way to run from the truth? they surely eat better food than some of the city dwellers because they are responsible for most of what the city dwellers eat.

Those that go to Lagos are those who want to live the Lagos life, those who must have (in one way or the other) believe it's greener in the other part, just like some Nigerians are running abroad, some end up getting so poor than they wished they remained in Nigeria.

How many government establishments do you have in the rural areas? answer the questions yourself and stop asking me things ordinarily you should know.

Sagamite:

Where is your proof?

Back up your assertion that most people in towns and villages are into fishing/farming/hunting.

Back up your assertion that most have city clients.

Where is your proof?

Back up your assertion that their main market is city merchants.

Where is your proof?

You are yet to show me any proof.

Did you go around all the villages checking?

Why are you throwing back the questions i asked you? you should answer them, don't shy away from these questions, you keep SHOUTING fact! fact! fact!, yet you don't even have any evidence to back them up  grin grin grin

I gave you first hand evidence on how i got to know about the occupation these rural dwellers find themselves in, if you don't believe me, go to these towns,villages, ask them what they do, when i and some of my friends visit the village, we can home with fresh harvest, things you'd buy with thousands of naira in the cities, these people produce these food stuffs themselves and they are mostly healthier than the city dwellers.

Do i have to go to their houses to know that they transact with city merchants when i often see them loading trucks with their harvests?

do i have to go to their houses to know that they transact business with city merchants when i have first hand experience with them?

Ask Funny Iyanda, she once had a show that focused on the rural business way, all these things i am talking about were shown/discussed on the show, documentaries were shown too, so i am not basing my facts on a foreign link, neither am i comparing them with how it works in the west.

Bro, you do not have a case when it comes to how much value is consumed by rural dwellers because most of them don't buy what they eat, they produce what they eat, and if you are to pay for them, you'd end up spending more than $1.

I rest my case. cool
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 8:25pm On Sep 06, 2010
Sagamite:

Sorry?

That is why they were dirty clothes, have BOs and have decayed teeth?

Try again, that did not work.

You really need to explain to me how a specie of animals do not do it bests to be attractive. That is the fundamental of animal mating existence (especially humans) and right here on NL, you are revolutionarily redefining animal behaviour.

Also, you did not answer how you came to the conclusion that food cost is the same in across Nigeria (in Villages and cities, prices are the same).

Because most of them believe in Pako (Local wood chewed to clean the teeth/tongue), those wearing dirty clothes must have been coming from the farm, were naturally dirty (since no one is watching them), did not see need to wash it since they are used to it in the rural areas (DOES WEARING RAG CLOTHES IN THE VILLAGES MAKE YOU A STARVING NIGERIAN?)

Animal ko, homosapien ni, i already explained to you, when you went through the villages, did you SEE all the villagers WEARING rags? haven't you seen RICH people that are naturally dirty?

The cost of food in the cities started from the villages, they are the ones who decide (from the start) how much the food will cost when it gets to the cities because it's how much they sell their wears to the merchant that will influence how much the merchant is likely to sell in the cities.

The villagers (most of them being the producers) eat from their harvest, i have said this before, so they don't have to pay cash to get the food they eat, but that does not still make the value lower than what the city dwellers consume.

In my price list, i never gave a static price, i had options there, e.g (rice sell for 120/130 in Lagos, sells for 140/150 in places like Bayelsa, Delta, PH, ABJ, it sometimes sell for 100 in the villages/rural areas and i also made option for that, check the price lists again)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Senate Moves To Amend 1999 Constitution With 13 Bills.. / 20 Great Oscar Wilde Quotes For Our Political Times / 11 Ex-Jonathan's Ministers May Join APC - The Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.