Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm (15745 Views)

Buhari Raises 13-Member Panel To Probe Weapon Procurement Since 2007 / APC Raises Alarm Over Withdrawal Of Customs, Immigration Personnel From Border / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 9:37pm On Sep 05, 2010
Sagamite:

Sorry, where do you get your stats from?

You claim you are not using city stats?

You keep on missing the point being given to you about evn if someone makes N2000 Naira a day, what is profit and how many mounts does the profit have to feed.

I pretty much sure that your N500 figure is one of your conjectural fallacies that will break under testing because I can cook a pot of Efo Riro soup for 2 for less than £5 in London.

Leaves: 3 for £1.
Plum: 2 for £0.8.
Palm oil: Bottle £2.50, I will use a fraction, maybe £0.50
Meat: £2 worth will last 2 a week.
All other ingredients (salt, maggi, onions, tatashe, ata rodo) will be fractions used. Maybe max £1.

Remember Nigerian ingredients should be more expensive in London than Nigeria. So to tell me that MINIMUM pot of soup in Lagos (I forgive you for saying Nigeria) is £2 or £2.50 is pure fallacy.

Hhehehehe, now, let me take you on a roller coaster ride.

Vegetables go for 50 naira per chunk (only for 2 except mixed with a cup of egusi)
P.oil is between 150-200 naira per bottle (u need 1/8 of it to cook 1 time soup which goes for 20-30 naira)
G.oil is between 180-230 naira per bottle  (Anywhere in Nigeria, if you have a different stat, you can type it here)
A kilo of fish starts from 200-500 (Anywhere in Nigeria)
Maggi is between 2-3 10 naira, knowe goes for 10 for 1
salt sells for 10 naira ( the unbranded ones)
Egusi between is 30-80 per cup (Anywhere in Nigeria)

A derica of rice goes for 100-150 anywhere in Nigeria
Beans goes for 70-120 per derica
garri goes for 60-120 per derica (to make eba with that, it's only for u)
Kerosene sells from 60-100 per bottle (for cooking soup, rice/eba and might be enough to warm the soup later in the day).

the list goes on, so let me stop here, to prepare a soup, you'd have spent up to 500 naira on soup alone.

A family of 5 spend more than 1,000 naira a day on feeding anywhere in Nigeria, except the extremely poor ones which i can't say don't exist, but to say 70% of the WHOLE population spend LESS than a dollar a day is unrealistic and barbaric from all point of view.

Back to these questions, i need answers to them, don't ignore them:

we have 36 states plus Abuja making it 37, are you trying to tell me that an average of 1.5 million people from these states do not spend more than $1 a day (feeding?)

infact, i am wasting my time, because the WB said it's 70% (I HAVE BEEN SEEING THIS STATS SINCE 10 YEARS AGO, YET IT HAS NOT CHANGED), does that make it true?

Answer me, do you mean in the past 10 years, 70% still spend less than $1 a day? Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided (put inflation and all that in view).
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by olaolabiy: 9:39pm On Sep 05, 2010
Sagamite:

I no understand?

You mean it is irrelevant?

It is taken from your pay every month and you will pay it up to a certain age, so it is not free.

It used to be TOTALLY free before.
it is almost irrelevant because those kids don't pay it back. you know better than i do about this reality.
some would prefer never to work.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

Vegetables go for 50 naira per chunk (only for 2 except mixed with a cup of egusi)
P.oil is between 150-200 naira per bottle
G.oil is between 180-230 naira per bottle  (Anywhere in Nigeria, if you have a different stat, you can type it here)

Kerosene sells from 60-100 per bottle (for cooking soup, rice/eba and might be enough to warm the soup later in the day).

Since when were items like rice, maggi cubes and tinned tomatoes a STAPLE part of the diet for most rural dwellers in Nigeria? undecided
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 05, 2010
ola olabiy:

it is almost irrelevant because those kids don't pay it back. you know better than i do about this reality.

It actually is automatically paid back through the tax system so you can regard it as a future tax liability.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 9:47pm On Sep 05, 2010
ola olabiy:

why not first put to judicious use the little you have got in nigeria before complaining about its inadequacy.
spend and not plunder the allocated one.

You go vote for me?  tongue
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 9:48pm On Sep 05, 2010
tensor777:

Since when were items like rice, maggi cubes and tinned tomatoes a STAPLE part of the diet for most rural dwellers in Nigeria? undecided

Oh, you think they chew sugarcane every day? or they drink koko all day long? people like you still think Nigerians who live in other parts of Nigeria apart from Lagos live on trees, eat unripe plantains. sad

I didn't include any tin tomatoes on my list, i only listed what 99% eat on a daily basis. If you don't eat rice, you will eat Garri/eba/fufu
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by olaolabiy: 9:48pm On Sep 05, 2010
Sagamite:

You go vote for me?  tongue
if you go contest.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by olaolabiy: 9:49pm On Sep 05, 2010
tensor777:

It actually is automatically paid back through the tax system so you can regard it as a future tax liability.
automatically paid back by boys who prefer to remain jobless?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 9:55pm On Sep 05, 2010
ola olabiy:

some would prefer never to work.

It is not irrelevant.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone that goes to Uni and prefer never to work.

Once you earn over £15K, they remove it with interest.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 10:04pm On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

P.oil is between 150-200 naira per bottle (u need 1/8 of it to cook 1 time soup which goes for 20-30 naira)

the list goes on, so let me stop here, to prepare a soup, you'd have spent up to 500 naira on soup alone.

Now factor in how many days each will last you.

And I assume you realise you just put Lagos prices there?

honeric01:

A family of 5 spend more than 1,000 naira a day on feeding anywhere in Nigeria, except the extremely poor ones which i can't say don't exist, but to say 70% of the WHOLE population spend LESS than a dollar a day is unrealistic and barbaric from all point of view.

Are you having a laff?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Every family of 5 in Nigeria spends N30K per month on food?  grin

In a country where even those in the city earn about N30K a month? But people spend this on FOOD ONLY in Nigeria?  grin

Where did you get your figure from?

honeric01:

Back to these questions, i need answers to them, don't ignore them:

we have 36 states plus Abuja making it 37, are you trying to tell me that an average of 1.5 million people from these states do not spend more than $1 a day (feeding?)

infact, i am wasting my time, because the WB said it's 70% (I HAVE BEEN SEEING THIS STATS SINCE 10 YEARS AGO, YET IT HAS NOT CHANGED), does that make it true?

Answer me, do you mean in the past 10 years, 70% still spend less than $1 a day? Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided (put inflation and all that in view).

As I said, even if the figures are not accurate because of complex informal sector, 70% would not live on what is far off that figure.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

I didn't include any tin tomatoes on my list, i only listed what 99% eat one way or the other. If you don't eat rice, you will eat Garri/eba/fufu

I am aware of what is on your list but the point is that at least in the villages items like processed cassava meal (gari, eba, fufu), palm oil, bushmeat and vegetables are cheap and readily available

This is not the case for items like rice and tinned tomatoes which are mostly imported and hence relatively expensive.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 10:16pm On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

Just going by your estimates here AND using the top range prices only. To cook a pot of soup for 2:

2 chunks of vegetables - 100 naira

1/8 of G.oil - 30 naira

Poor man no dey chop fish for city, replace with chicken or meat. Maybe 100 naira.

Maggi - 3 naira
Salt - 2 naira
Egusi - 80 per cup

That is roughly N300 at the top range of your prices and adding the luxury of Egusi and boku meat/chicken. They will even not finish it, it would be left over for next day.

The prices will not be the same in rural areas.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 10:23pm On Sep 05, 2010
tensor777:

I am aware of what is on your list but the point is that at least in the villages items like processed cassava meal (gari, eba, fufu), palm oil, bushmeat and vegetables are cheap and readily available

This is not the case for items like rice and tinned tomatoes which are mostly imported and hence relatively expensive.

Thank you.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 10:24pm On Sep 05, 2010
tensor777:

I already made provision for those ones, the prices i quoted covered the urban areas too, if you think i am wrong, ask anyone from [b]any [/b]part of Nigeria how much a derica of rice, bean, garri cost, then get back to us with the price and where in Nigeria the person reside.

No food item on my list is mostly imported, we all know Rice is 95% imported in Nigeria, that does not stop both the rich/poor from eating it.

Sagamite:

Now factor in how many days each will last you.

And I assume you realise you just put Lagos prices there?

Are you having a laff?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Every family of 5 in Nigeria spends N30K per month on food?  grin

In a country where even those in the city earn about N30K a month? But people spend this on FOOD ONLY in Nigeria?  grin

Where did you get your figure from?

As I said, even the figures are not accurate because of complex informal sector, 70% live on what is not far of that figure.

Apart from the oil (bottles) i quoted, the rest are what 1-2 persons consume in a day, a derica of garri can only feed 1-2 persons, for the rice, it will feed 2-4 persons.

The soup surely will reach 2-3 persons too, so if you calculate what you'd have spent at the end of the day, it will be running into 800 naira for 2-4 persons.

THAT'S NOT A LAGOS PRICE, i have already told tensor777 to confirm these prices with anyone living outside Lagos, anywhere in Nigeria, just confirm how much these items cost, then get back to us.

Yes, a family of 5 in Nigeria spend between 15-30k on feeding per month, how they get the money is what i call the Nigerian spirit, now a days, both parents work and apart from working, they have other source of income (thrift and contribution), you just won't understand what Nigerians can do, THE PASTORS WILL TELL YOU THAT THERE'S MONEY IN NIGERIA, if you doubt me, just look around these "poor" areas, churches are springing up and down, Banks, now you'd begin to wonder how possible it is for churches and banks survive if their potential customers live below $1.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 10:29pm On Sep 05, 2010
Food prices in some part of Nigeria are more expensive than what they sell for in Lagos, states like:

Bayelsa
Delta
Port Harcourt
Abuja

Just confirm, it's very easy to do, you have people out there, ask them how much food stuffs go for.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 10:40pm On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

I already made provision for those ones, the prices i quoted covered the urban areas too, if you think i am wrong, ask anyone from [b]any [/b]part of Nigeria how much a derica of rice, bean, garri cost, then get back to us with the price and where in Nigeria the person reside.

No food item on my list is mostly imported, we all know Rice is 95% imported in Nigeria, that does not stop both the rich/poor from eating it.

Apart from the oil (bottles) i quoted, the rest are what 1-2 persons consume in a day, a derica of garri can only feed 1-2 persons, for the rice, it will feed 2-4 persons.

The soup surely will reach 2-3 persons too, so if you calculate what you'd have spent at the end of the day, it will be running into 800 naira for 2-4 persons.

THAT'S NOT A LAGOS PRICE, i have already told tensor777 to confirm these prices with anyone living outside Lagos, anywhere in Nigeria, just confirm how much these items cost, then get back to us.

Yes, a family of 5 in Nigeria spend between 15-30k on feeding per month, how they get the money is what i call the Nigerian spirit, now a days, both parents work and apart from working, they have other source of income (thrift and contribution), you just won't understand what Nigerians can do, THE PASTORS WILL TELL YOU THAT THERE'S MONEY IN NIGERIA, if you doubt me, just look around these "poor" areas, churches are springing up and down, Banks, now you'd begin to wonder how possible it is for churches and banks survive if their potential customers live below $1.

honeric01:

Food prices in some part of Nigeria are more expensive than what they sell for in Lagos, states like:

Bayelsa
Delta
Port Harcourt
Abuja

Just confirm, it's very easy to do, you have people out there, ask them how much food stuffs go for.

So you are still maintaining that the average Nigerian family spends N30K on food only?

Where did you get your figures from?

Given that in the richest nations, families spend about 10% of income on on food.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/july192006/food_prices_71906.php

And this proportion increases as we go up the less rich countries, it will be conservative to say that Nigerians spend 40% of their income on food.

So are you telling me that the average Nigerian family in ALL parts of Nigeria makes about N75K a month, that is N900K a year, that is about £3900 per year?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by manny4life(m): 10:46pm On Sep 05, 2010
@honeric01

You said you have been seeing this stats since like 10 years ago, someone on here mentioned the "rule of 70", how much do u think Nigeria as a nation has grown? I mean give me real numbers, then tell me what % of growth has increased since ten years ago.

For the record, the 70% living under $1 a most recent late 2008 / early 2009survey study.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 10:56pm On Sep 05, 2010
manny4life:

@honeric01

You said you have been seeing this stats since like 10 years ago, someone on here mentioned the "rule of 70", how much do u think Nigeria as a nation has grown? I mean give me real numbers, then tell me what % of growth has increased since ten years ago.

Hehehehe, see questions, do i have to answer that? i think you should do the research yourself, then come back here, tell us what you were able to get from your research.

Is Nigeria of 2000 still the Nigeria of 2010? did it change or not? for better or for worse? give us honest answers yourself.

Sagamite:

So you are still maintaining that the average Nigerian family spends N30K on food only?

Where did you get your figures from?

Given that in the richest nations, families spend about 10% of income on on food.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/july192006/food_prices_71906.php

And this proportion increases as we go up the less rich countries, it will be conservative to say that Nigerians spend 40% of their income on food.

So are you telling me that the average Nigerian family in ALL parts of Nigeria makes about N75K a month, that is N900K a year, that is about £3900 per year?

Hehehehe, so because that site stated that rich nations spend 10% of their income on food, that means Nigerians should also spend 10% on food too right?

Maybe you are missing this, NIGERIANS don't play with food, WE prolly work because of Food, that's like 60% of the main reason why Nigerians here in Nigeria work, FOOD FIRST, any other thing come after that.

So it takes a Nigerian in Nigeria to understand this analogy, ask Nigerians in Nigeria (Average Nigerians) what they think about food and you'd be surprised at the response you'd be getting.

I had an exception in my comment, except you want to ignore that part, I didn't say ALL, i said except the poor (extremely) poor ones can be said to be living below $1 per day.

within 15k-30k worth of food per month, that's what a family of 5 often live on (Of course, some family buy in bulk, thereby spending less to get the same percentage of foodstuffs), don't tell me the stats you are quoting got their data only from the urban areas, because you'd ask you to post the places they went to conduct the research for all to see, and not just that, also how many of these urban places they went to.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 11:01pm On Sep 05, 2010
And if you lot think Nigerian civil servants actually live only on their take home salaries, then you can believe anything!
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by manny4life(m): 11:07pm On Sep 05, 2010
Hehehehe, see questions, do i have to answer that? i think you should do the research yourself, then come back here, tell us what you were able to get from your research.

Is Nigeria of 2000 still the Nigeria of 2010? did it change or not? for better or for worse? give us honest answers yourself.

No doubt that Nigeria changed but change wasn't much. That has been my point all along, and yes I have done my research it's you guys telling me no way people live under a $1, and I'm telling u that people do based on the Nigeria's output so far. Again Nigeria has changed, but the change isn't SIGNIFICANT, in fact, it was not until about a year and half ago that NIGERIA experienced an economic boom which shrunk a lil this year on is on stable growth. If my memory serves me correctly, current economic forecast/prediction using the rule of 70, that Nigeria would grow and double her GDP by 2020; more than any other African nation.

My point is Nigeria has yet to experience growth and a real economic "BOOM".
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 11:19pm On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

Hehehehe, so because that site stated that rich nations spend 10% of their income on food, that means Nigerians should also spend 10% on food too right?

I advised you on this earlier:

Sagamite:

Honestly honerico, you need to start reading people's posts and consuming and ratiocinating the content before giving a counter.

This is what I said:

Sagamite:

honeric01:

Maybe you are missing this, NIGERIANS don't play with food, WE prolly work because of Food, that's like 60% of the main reason why Nigerians here in Nigeria work, FOOD FIRST, any other thing come after that.

So Nigerians don't pay for transport, they don't pay for clothes, they don't pay for school fees, they don't by goods and repair them etc?

honeric01:

I had an exception in my comment, except you want to ignore that part, I didn't say ALL, i said except the poor (extremely) poor ones can be said to be living below $1 per day.

That is why I said average.

You maintain that the average Nigerian family spends N30K per month on food only?

I am even being lenient as the average Nigerian family is over 5 (parents and 3 kids). It is more like 7 or 8.

honeric01:

within 15k-30k worth of food per month, that's what a family of 5 often live on (Of course, some family buy in bulk, thereby spending less to get the same percentage of foodstuffs), don't tell me the stats you are quoting got their data only from the urban areas, because you'd ask you to post the places they went to conduct the research for all to see, and not just that, also how many of these urban places they went to.

Mate, when professionals that work for NIGERIAN govt, talkless of world bank, are doing stuff like this, despite any errors it will be across geography.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 11:51pm On Sep 05, 2010
manny4life:

No doubt that Nigeria changed but change wasn't much. That has been my point all along, and yes I have done my research[b] it's you guys telling me no way people live under a $[/b]1, and I'm telling u that people do based on the Nigeria's output so far. Again Nigeria has changed, but the change isn't SIGNIFICANT, in fact, it was not until about a year and half ago that NIGERIA experienced an economic boom which shrunk a lil this year on is on stable growth. If my memory serves me correctly, current economic forecast/prediction using the rule of 70, that Nigeria would grow and double her GDP by 2020; more than any other African nation.

My point is Nigeria has yet to experience growth and a real economic "BOOM".
What are you saying? who said no Nigerian live below $1?

Sagamite:

I advised you on this earlier:

This is what I said:

So Nigerians don't pay for transport, they don't pay for clothes, they don't pay for school fees, they don't by goods and repair them etc?

That is why I said average.

You maintain that the average Nigerian family spends N30K per month on food only?

I am even being lenient as the average Nigerian family is over 5 (parents and 3 kids). It is more like 7 or 8.

Mate, when professionals that work for NIGERIAN govt, talkless of world bank, are doing stuff like this, despite any errors it will be across geography.

Bro, it's late here, i need to head to bed, but before i do that, let me say :

They pay for transport and all that, don't get me wrong, Here in Nigeria, some part pay house rent yearly, some quarterly, while very few pay monthly, so the issue of paying house rent from the monthly income can not really be discussed here.

So you actually think a basic salary of 7000-15,000 naira (civil servant) can actually do all these? clothes,school fees, buy goods and repair them etc? you think so?

Now, that's where you're getting it all wrong, Most Nigerians don't have one source of income, most homes all over Nigeria have more than 2 sources of incomes (except the unemployed/sick/extremely poor ones).

Do you know how many Nigerians use cellphones? do you know how many of them load their phone daily? someone who spend below $1 per day on feeding cannot use/maintain a phone in Nigeria. more than 68 million Nigerians use phone, this number is only for those that registered their lines (google it up yourself, do the research bro).

An average Nigerian spend between 15k-30k per month on feeding (5 persons), i already did the math for you.

Most homes with 7-8 family size have some of their ward working on their own already, a Nigerian as young as 18 is already bringing money home to the family through casual jobs and all that, some of them don't even eat at home, rather they give to their parents. (Nigerian mentality, big boy/girl mentality).

yes, i strongly fault those "professionals" that came up with the 70% stat, 10 years ago? maybe debatable, but 2010, still 70%? that's absolutely rubbish (with all the urban migration that has happened so far).

See, i can't continue typing, i am too heavy to continue, my eyes wan close embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by manny4life(m): 12:01am On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

What are you saying? who said no Nigerian live below $1?

You and your cohorts on here at least that's what I've deducted so far. You guys are saying for the price of items including food, there was no way no one lived under $1 a day. On that note, I rest my case unless otherwise.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 1:06am On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

They pay for transport and all that, don't get me wrong, Here in Nigeria, some part pay house rent yearly, some quarterly, while very few pay monthly, so the issue of paying house rent from the monthly income can not really be discussed here.

Whether they pay monthly or bi-annually where do you think the fund will come from?

If they pay quarterly, don't you think they will have to save up to pay it?

honeric01:

So you actually think a basic salary of 7000-15,000 naira (civil servant) can actually do all these? clothes,school fees, buy goods and repair them etc? you think so?

Now, that's where you're getting it all wrong, Most Nigerians don't have one source of income, most homes all over Nigeria have more than 2 sources of incomes (except the unemployed/sick/extremely poor ones).

Now what is the population of civil servants?

About 1m? Is that not one of the most desirable jobs in Nigeria?

Are you saying those that desire the civil service jobs are actually making more than the civil servants, albeit the civil servants can make extra money on the side?

My friend, most people make less than the salary of a civil servant in Nigeria.

I have a relative that lives in Lagos that earns N13000 a month. I have a friend that makes N18000 a month outside Lagos and feeds a family of about 10, albeit, his mom and sister can make an additional N7000 a month through small trade and work.

honeric01:

Do you know how many Nigerians use cellphones? do you know how many of them load their phone daily? someone who spend below $1 per day on feeding cannot use/maintain a phone in Nigeria. more than 68 million Nigerians use phone, this number is only for those that registered their lines (google it up yourself, do the research bro).

Please tell me how many Nigerians load their mobiles every day.

Please do. I don't know them except they are the middle class of Lagos and even those is like every 3 days. Most I know in Nigeria mostly text.

What proportion of Nigerians load their mobiles everyday?

honeric01:

An average Nigerian spend between 15k-30k per month on feeding (5 persons), i already did the math for you.

You must be having a fcking laugh if you think for one second that some Yaro Yaro in Zamfara spends N15k a month on food.

honeric01:

Most homes with 7-8 family size have some of their ward working on their own already, a  Nigerian as young as 18 is already bringing money home to the family through casual jobs and all that, some of them don't even eat at home, rather they give to their parents. (Nigerian mentality, big boy/girl mentality).

How many 18 year olds have steady income in Nigeria? And the girls are not married off by this age?

You mean like the income of the girl that works in the "supermarket" (as corner shops are called in Nigeria  grin) that earns N6K a month? From which she has to eat and transport herself? No wonder the girl is always sleeping. Wey the energy?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by odumchi: 6:24am On Sep 06, 2010
The typical rural Nigerian is poor. 150m live in nigeria. 75million people survive on less than 1000n a day. 48million people are considered average. 2million are wealthy.

The average Nigerian buys food on credit and his staple foods are bread, beans and the occasional rice. (fufu is too expensive)
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by tpiah: 6:27am On Sep 06, 2010
^^you didnt mention any swallow at all, in your list of so-called staple foods.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by ada24: 7:16am On Sep 06, 2010
this thread is funny - what kind of soup are u guys cooking for N500 a kilo of chicken alone in PH is between N700-800, minimum for a batch of onions over N100. u haven't even factored in dry fish, crayfish and the other essentials needed.

i have no idea why people are arguing back and forth about this $1 figure, it is an average of the 70% not what everyone is earning. The last time I checked the govt do not provide benefits (welfare) to unemployed people in Nigeria so what income do people who are not working earn?

a lot of people have mobile phones but use them only to flash so this business of people having phones therefore somehow the majority of people are middle class is funny.

anyway i will leave all the economic analysis to the main posters here as my brain is tired.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 7:39am On Sep 06, 2010
manny4life:

You and your cohorts on here at least that's what I've deducted so far. You guys are saying for the price of items including food, there was no way no one lived under $1 a day. On that note, I rest my case unless otherwise.

, do i need to pay attention to you undecided

Sagamite:

Whether they pay monthly or bi-annually where do you think the fund will come from?

If they pay quarterly, don't you think they will have to save up to pay it?

Now what is the population of civil servants?

About 1m? Is that not one of the most desirable jobs in Nigeria?

Are you saying those that desire the civil service jobs are actually making more than the civil servants, albeit the civil servants can make extra money on the side?

My friend, most people make less than the salary of a civil servant in Nigeria.

I have a relative that lives in Lagos that earns N13000 a month. I have a friend that makes N18000 a month outside Lagos and feeds a family of about 10, albeit, his mom and sister can make an additional N7000 a month through small trade and work.

Please tell me how many Nigerians load their mobiles every day.

Please do. I don't know them except they are the middle class of Lagos and even those is like every 3 days. Most I know in Nigeria mostly text.

What proportion of Nigerians load their mobiles everyday?

You must be having a fcking laugh if you think for one second that some Yaro Yaro in Zamfara spends N15k a month on food.

How many 18 year olds have steady income in Nigeria? And the girls are not married off by this age?

You mean like the income of the girl that works in the "supermarket" (as corner shops are called in Nigeria  grin) that earns N6K a month? From which she has to eat and transport herself? No wonder the girl is always sleeping. Wey the energy?

I have just discovered your problem, the names of these areas make you think they live on trees or that they bake mud for bread, infact i just think i am wasting my time trying to convince you that 70% of Nigerians don't live less than $1 a day.

I can't continue with this endless typing, it's Monday and i should start my Monday on a fruitful course!
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 9:21am On Sep 06, 2010
honeric01:

I have just discovered your problem, the names of these areas make you think they live on trees or that they bake mud for bread, infact i just think i am wasting my time trying to convince you that 70% of Nigerians don't live less than $1 a day.

I can't continue with this endless typing, it's Monday and i should start my Monday on a fruitful course!

You know the meaning of conjecture and strawman's argument?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by nex(m): 9:26am On Sep 06, 2010
These British are just too desperate. They've taken on the policy of "since we're no more moving up, let's tear others down".

What they don't know is that the more they complain about "population disaster" in Nigeria, the more British businesses continue to read it as "inexhaustible market", and they continue to leave London for Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 9:39am On Sep 06, 2010
nex:

These British are just too desperate. They've taken on the policy of "since we're no more moving up, let's tear others down".

What they don't know is that the more they complain about "population disaster" in Nigeria, the more British businesses continue to read it as "inexhaustible market", and they continue to leave London for Lagos.

Amsorry.

Educate me on which businesses have left London for Lagos so far.  grin
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 11:23am On Sep 06, 2010
- We can't adequately provide for the 150m we currently have.

- Our attempt to improve productivity and governance to improve our ability to provide for the current population is painfully slow and cannot match the population explosion.

- Weather patterns and land fertility structures are changing drastically with us having limited understanding of why, the likely developments and likely final state, so our current agricultural knowledge would be eroded and become obsolete hence we might not be be able to control our food productions which might lead to food shortages.

Yet people do not see a problem with our spiralling population?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Man Arrested At Radio House With Grenades & Live Ammo / Breaking: Ashaka Town: Army Repel Strong Boko Haram Attack / FG Announces Dates For Ocholi's Funeral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.