Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,251 members, 7,836,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? (3951 Views)

No Supreme Court In The World Has Ever Cancelled Election Based On A Fraction... / National Grid Collapses, Plunges Lagos, Others Into Darkness / TCN Confirms Collapse Of National Grid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by AZeD1(m): 4:34pm On Mar 19, 2019
meccuno:
Yeah. they did this so that we all can move at their pace and level. because if other states are allowed to grown, then we would see the real reason why Nigeria should have never been a Nation.
This is wrong. The reason why power was sent to the national grid was because of cost. It's cheaper to generate power via water (hydro stations) than gas because the input for hydro stations which is water cost nothing. So using a central grid meant a person in kano paid the same as a person in Enugu.

Now the law has been amended (since 2014) and anyone is free to generate power and distribute as they like.

Transmission is different from Distribution and the FG only controls Transmission.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by rexwalters: 4:40pm On Mar 19, 2019
AZeD1:

This is wrong. The reason why power was sent to the national grid was because of cost. It's cheaper to generate power via water (hydro stations) than gas because the input for hydro stations which is water cost nothing. So using a central grid meant a person in kano paid the same as a person in Enugu.

Now the law has been amended (since 2014) and anyone is free to generate power and distribute as they like.

Transmission is different from Distribution and the FG only controls Transmission.
Thanks for the update at least people like meccuno and 1888 now know they are the foolish ones,always blaming their own shortcomings on our brothers up North.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by meccuno: 4:42pm On Mar 19, 2019
AZeD1:

did you hear of the mega watts generated by akwaibom state govt
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by slimfit1(m): 4:44pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:
Without our Brothers up North,the Yorubas,ibos and over 250 minorities will turn Southern Nigeria to another Southern Sudan,you never know what you have until you lose it.

And for your information they are not behind any laws made that were establised and approved by your fathers and fore fathers.

Get out my friend which law is it the one Abdulsalam made you are talking about or what?
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by I888(m): 4:45pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:
At least you done see say you no get sense,playing smart but not been clever?
Not clever in what sense? That South does not have what it takes a build and maintain a Dam in the South? are you kidding me?
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by AZeD1(m): 4:49pm On Mar 19, 2019
meccuno:
did you hear of the mega watts generated by akwaibom state govt

Akwa Ibom owns the Ibom power plant and it supplies power to Akwa Ibom.

You can see more about the the company here..

http://ibompower.com/company/
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by meccuno: 4:51pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:
Thanks for the update at least people like meccuno and 1888 now know they are the foolish ones,always blaming their own shortcomings on our brothers up North.
you started the insults . but when i reply you i become the aggressor.......continue o........ grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by meccuno: 4:54pm On Mar 19, 2019
AZeD1:

Akwa Ibom owns the Ibom power plant and it supplies power to Akwa Ibom.

You can see more about the the company here..

http://ibompower.com/company/
i tot you said the federal Government controls the transmission? can you expantiate on that using the akwa ibom model?
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by rexwalters: 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2019
meccuno:
you started the insults . but when i reply you i become the aggressor.......continue o........ grin
Aggressive Grass Cutter Bush Meat?
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by I888(m): 4:57pm On Mar 19, 2019
meccuno:
no mind the MALU? who is he calling brothers up north when they can not compete favourably with their counterparts in the south? In jamb, the cut off mark in the North is always different from what is obtainable in the south...

wetin concern me?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by I888(m): 4:58pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:
it is now 1888 but i888 angry
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by meccuno: 4:58pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:
Aggressive Grass Cutter Bush Meat?

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by meccuno: 4:59pm On Mar 19, 2019
I888:
no mind the MALU? who is he calling brothers up north when they can not compete favourably with their counterparts in the south? In jamb, the cut off mark in the North is always different from what is obtainable in the south...

wetin concern me?
abeg help me ask am............. grin grin grin
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by rexwalters: 5:04pm On Mar 19, 2019
I888:
Not clever in what sense? That South does not have what it takes a build and maintain a Dam in the South? are you kidding me?
Very poor comprehension,you must be studying for your GCE?Nigeria as a nation cannot build a dam in southern Nigeria,not to talk of only the south States of Nigeria that cannot build an ordinary oil refinery?

Remove the income from mineral oil from the Niger Delta states which belongs to the Federal Government (All of The Good People of Nigeria) and revenue from Lagos State,what other income do you have from those beggar states down south?
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by AZeD1(m): 5:05pm On Mar 19, 2019
meccuno:
i tot you said the federal Government controls the transmission? can you expantiate on that using the akwa ibom model?
There are three segments of power: Generation, Transmission and Distribution.

Generation and Distribution have been privatized why Transmission is in the hands of the FG.

Its is possible to by pass transmission within a locality (say a state) so if you generate power in Akwa Ibom and want to sell in Akwa Ibom, you don't need transmission, you just need to talk directly to the distribution company in charge of Akwa Ibom and sell the generated power to them directly. But if your customer is in Lagos or Benin, then you need to talk to Transmission so they can get the power to Benin/Lagos for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by I888(m): 5:08pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:
Very poor comprehension,you must be studying for your GCE?NIgeria cannot build a dam in southern Nigeria,not to talk of only the south States of Nigeria that cannot build an ordinary oil refinery?

Remove the income from mineral oil from the Niger Delta states which belongs to the Federal Government (All of The Good People of Nigeria) and revenue from Lagos State,what other income do you have from those beggar states down south?
LMAO...

why is the North after oil?
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by rexwalters: 5:13pm On Mar 19, 2019
AZeD1:

There are three segments of power: Generation, Transmission and Distribution.

Generation and Distribution have been privatized why Transmission is in the hands of the FG.

Its is possible to by pass transmission within a locality (say a state) so if you generate power in Akwa Ibom and want to sell in Akwa Ibom, you don't need transmission, you just need to talk directly to the distribution company in charge of Akwa Ibom and sell the generated power to them directly. But if your customer is in Lagos or Benin, then you need to talk to Transmission so they can get the power to Benin/Lagos for you.
Meccuno & 1888 should pay you for your lecture,knowledge is not free for the stiff necked.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by rexwalters: 5:16pm On Mar 19, 2019
I888:
LMAO...

why is the North after oil?
Exploration is part of the oil business,Mr Ignorant,The North of Nigeria already has enough oil and gas in the South South of its Nation,all mineral and mineral oil found anywhere in Nigeria belongs to the Fed (The Good People of Nigeria) go and read the constitution of 1979 & 1999 (As Amended), and The Land Use Act 1978,abi na your ancestors plant the oil and gas for ground?Thief.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:23pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:
Exploration is part of the oil business,Mr Ignorant,The North of Nigeria already has enough oil and gas in the South South of its Nation,all mineral and mineral oil found anywhere in Nigeria belongs to the Fed (The Good People of Nigeria) go and read the constitution of 1979 & 1999 (As Amended), and The Land Use Act 1978,abi na your ancestors plant the oil and gas for ground?Thief.

So the north owns the oil in the South ? Aboki, clap for yourself.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by rexwalters: 5:32pm On Mar 19, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:

So the north owns the oil in the South ? Aboki, clap for yourself.
Comprehension I see is one of your major problems,Not only the North of Nigeria but The Federal Government (All of The Good People of Nigeria) own all mineral and mineral oil found anywhere in Nigeria by virtue of The Mineral Oil Act 1978,The Land Use Act 1978 and the Constitution of The Federal Republic of Nigeria 1979 as amended in 1999.

General Obasanjo a southerner is still alive in Otta,you can go and inquire from him,how he,yaradua,and the Supreme military council came up with the formula that the so called politicians democratic rats have not been able to change for 40 years,even after uninterrupted democracy (demonstration of craze) for 20 straight years.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 5:50pm On Mar 19, 2019
I888:
Dams can be created in the South bros...
You're very funny sir, so you want flood to wash away my dear village, that is not possible due to lowlevel down south here (some metres above sea level) and if its possible, the cost and environmental hazard will be high.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by I888(m): 5:55pm On Mar 19, 2019
DeejaywonDJ1:
You're very funny sir, so you want flood to wash away my dear village, that is not possible due to lowlevel down south here (some metres above sea level) and if its possible, the cost and environmental hazard will be high.

Your explanation is different from what that nonentity was saying.

Not that it can't be done... Not that is not possible but due to geological hazards, it is not advised.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by I888(m): 6:01pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:

Lol this guy sef. If I follow u d way ur body dey shake like jelly fish, na ban I go chop.

If not for the fraudulent aim and objectives, why would the federal government own the lands and it's oil? In the US, that is not so.

Which oil north get ? Keep deceiving yourself. Oil that is not in commercial quantity. Make God answer una prayers so that una go divide the country make every person go their way cos everyone knows the only thing u guys are waiting for is to discover oil.

If it means sucking up all the oil in the south to make that happen, may your wishes be done.

The south where I come from are resourceful enough to survive without oil... It is very evident in the way we have always done things in comparison to you guys.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by wirinet(m): 6:09pm On Mar 19, 2019
meccuno:
me too. but what can one do? we are stuck with these people for a while. if we get Governors who are futuristic and with a defined plan, all things being equal, we can beat the system that was designed to make us fail.
That's what I have been telling the "Nigeria held us back" crew. If you get visionary and sincere leaders, no system can hold them back, they would find a way around all obstacles.
For example, to beat the states must "feed the national grid" law, don't pass through the national grid, don't use the transmission lines. Just create clusters - industrial, commercial or social clusters and the generate power locally to those clusters. Some private companies are doing it.

To beat the 13% derivation law, create oil companies and bid and obtain oil licences in your state. If the state own or partnered companies drill it's own oil, it will receive 40% share of crude sales along with 13% derivation.

As I also say, it is only a bad workmen that quarrels with his tools, good workmen perform wonders with bad tools.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 6:29pm On Mar 19, 2019
I888:

Your explanation is different from what that nonentity was saying.

Not that it can't be done... Not that is not possible but due to geological hazards, it is not advised.
That is it sir, even flood is playing hide & seek game with them upnorth due to dam overflow. Asejire dam almost cleared half of Ibadan if not for timely intervention. We're not yet mature for anything sophisticated like dam, education, governance etc. in this country due to bad leadership and poor maintenance and our non challant attitude towards everything.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:38pm On Mar 19, 2019
rexwalters:
Comprehension I see is one of your major problems...

Lack of civility and inability to marshall coherent arguments is yours. You have been spewing rubbish through this thread and blaming everyone but yourself for it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:49pm On Mar 19, 2019
wirinet:

That's what I have been telling the "Nigeria held us back" crew. If you get visionary and sincere leaders, no system can hold them back, they would find a way around all obstacles.
For example, to beat the states must "feed the national grid" law, don't pass through the national grid, don't use the transmission lines. Just create clusters - industrial, commercial or social clusters and the generate power locally to those clusters. Some private companies are doing it.

To beat the 13% derivation law, create oil companies and bid and obtain oil licences in your state. If the state own or partnered companies drill it's own oil, it will receive 40% share of crude sales along with 13% derivation.

As I also say, it is only a bad workmen that quarrels with his tools, good workmen perform wonders with bad tools.

You do not realize the depth of the problem : the FG is like a dog in a manger, it won't eat hay and won't permit horses to.
Many states have tried to take control of their resources but have been blocked by the FG.
Edo state bid for electricity distribution in 2014 and was rebuffed. Akwa ibom, Rivers and other states have bid for oil licences without result. Cross river built Tinapa and it's full utilization was blocked by Abuja. The south south states want their ports developed but the FG connives with Lagos to maintain a monopoly in apapa. The list goes on.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by wirinet(m): 7:17pm On Mar 19, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:

You do not realize the depth of the problem : the FG is like a dog in a manger, it won't eat hay and won't permit horses to.
Many states have tried to take control of their resources but have been blocked by the FG.
Edo state bid for electricity distribution in 2014 and was rebuffed. Akwa ibom, Rivers and other states have bid for oil licences without result. Cross river built Tinapa and it's full utilization was blocked by Abuja. The south south states want their ports developed but the FG connives with Lagos to maintain a monopoly in apapa. The list goes on.

How come Lagos States is currently generating about 59Mw of electricity for its domestic use through the IPP scheme.

Many, including Lagos State government have been embarking on independent power projects, and are now relying on power generated from their power installations for their domestic use. The Independent Power Projects (IPPs) of Lagos State generates 59MW of electricity into the state power grid.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/guardian.ng/business-services/firms-state-dump-national-grid-for-independent-power-supply/amp

An Independent Power Project need not pass through the national grid.

On Akwa Ibom and Rivers States bidding for oil license, I Cound not find any information on it online, please give us links to confirm that they bid for oil licences and why it was refused.

On Tinapa, I feel that it was an ill conceived and executed project, better put a white elephant project. A free trade zone where there is no trade and a tourist resort for foreigners at a time the Niger Delta is unsafe to foreigners.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by meccuno: 7:33pm On Mar 19, 2019
wirinet:

for the first suggestion, thought about it. but the second part can you tell me how can actually create oil companies like that? are there no laws against it?
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by I888(m): 7:47pm On Mar 19, 2019
wirinet:

Thank you sir.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by wirinet(m): 7:32am On Mar 20, 2019
meccuno:
for the first suggestion, thought about it. but the second part can you tell me how can actually create oil companies like that? are there no laws against it?

To register an oil company is not that difficult. All you need to do is to go to CAC and register a company and then operate like a regular business.
A better option is to register and investment company and then partner with foreign companies with expertise in the oil industry or any other interested industries to operate and run the business. Lagos States has Ibile Holdings - http://ibileholdings.com/about-us/ . Awolowo did wonders with Odua Investments, they dominated the cocoa industry. Odua Investments at a time was one of the biggest conglomerates in West Africa.

There are no Laws against incorporating a company and partnering with foreign companies to do business in Nigeria. At the start of this democracy in 1999, many state governments partnered with Econet Wireless to bring GSM to Nigeria and their states, like Lagos and Delta, but greed took over the governors and they sold the shares and pocketed the money.
Re: Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction? by lastempero: 8:00am On Mar 20, 2019
AZeD1:

So why is geometric power not distributing their energy because I know there plant in ABA has since been completed n test runner.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian State With The Highest Number Of Jobless And Lazy Youths / Where In Aso Rock Was This Broadcast Done? / (viewers Discretion): Aftermath Of Boko Haram Attack In Biu LGA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.