Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Catholic Priest Saga: Ohakim, Wife Apologise To Imo People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Catholic Priest Saga: Ohakim, Wife Apologise To Imo People (2556 Views)

Akpabio Refuses To Apologise To Goje In The Senate Over Comment / 2nd Niger Bridge: Oshiomhole Must Apologise To Nigerians, Say CSOs / Mrs Aisha Buhari Visit To Imo State In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Priest Saga: Ohakim, Wife Apologise To Imo People by oladayo042: 1:18pm On Sep 05, 2010
Governor Ikedi Ohakim of Imo State on Saturday in a 10-minute statewide broadcast tendered an unreserved public apology to Christians in Imo State and Nigeria over the humiliation of a Catholic Priest, Rev. Fr. Eustace Okorie, by officers of the State Security Service (SSS) attached to him.

In a broadcast, which was relayed on the state’s radio and television stations, the governor, who returned to the state on Saturday after a medical trip abroad, noted that he had led his cabinet members to apologise to the Catholic Archbishop of Owerri, His Grace, Dr. Anthony J. Obinna, under whose Ecclesiastical Province the priest serves.

But on realising how the matter has inflamed passion in the state for weeks on ends, he said, “That notwithstanding, I hereby once more tender an unreserved apology to Reverend Father Eustace Okorie, the Roman Catholic Church and the entire Christians in Imo State and Nigeria.

“I respect ordained people of God, no matter the religion or denomination. My wife was born and bred a Catholic; my mother was born and bred a Catholic; I was raised a God-fearing Anglican. I have solid Catholics in my cabinet. So it is unthinkable that I would disrespect or order the humiliation of any man of God. The incident is unfortunate and saddens us all.”

The governor however expressed dismay over the role of some politicians and mischief makers who took advantage of the situation to plant advertorials in newspapers with a non-existent “Catholic Mothers’ Forum.”

He said this was with the clear intention of aggravating the already tense situation, adding, “Religion and politics have never mix well. So I implore those who are bent on instigating a sectarian crisis or inter-denominational war to stop in the interest of the state.”

The public apology by Governor Ikedi Ohakim has stirred emotions and attracted commendation from a cross-section of the predominantly Christian state of Imo, especially the catholic community.

Meanwhile, the wife of the governor, Barrister Chioma Ohakim, had in the course of her August meeting visits to council areas across the state continued to apologise for the overzealousness of the security personnel who humiliated the priest. The incident, which she described as unfortunate and sad, she said is one that must not recur.

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67066:catholic-priest-saga-ohakim-wife-apologise-to-imo-people-&catid=672:top-stories&Itemid=794
Re: Catholic Priest Saga: Ohakim, Wife Apologise To Imo People by mensdept: 3:38pm On Sep 05, 2010
Nonsense. Some leaders think they are above it all until one crack in the ceiling threatens the whole roof. He's now a God-fearing this and that. Ohakim, Please become a pastor in 2011 and leave government house to serious people.
Re: Catholic Priest Saga: Ohakim, Wife Apologise To Imo People by suncanon: 9:26am On May 25, 2011
Why hasn't he done this all this while instead he has been denying. This apology is becouse he failed the just concluded governorship election. Do you know what it means to strip a priest neked by a pagan. Please let Ohakim go and rest or,
Re: Catholic Priest Saga: Ohakim, Wife Apologise To Imo People by anointedf(m): 10:20am On May 25, 2011
The day OhAkIm did that to a man of God, he has finally nailed his own political coffin. OHAKIM laid to rest.

FORGET ABOUT HOLDING POLITICAL OFFICE IN NIGERIA.

(1) (Reply)

Josephine Anenih, Pockets Pdp Anambra Women N150m: Group Alleges / Senate, House Committees Disagree On Oil Benchmark / You’re A Liar And An APGA Paid Agent, Tony Nwoye Tackles PDP Olisa Metuh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.