Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,278 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Christians On Nairaland - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians On Nairaland (4185 Views)

Muslims Did Not Protect Christians On Christmas Day - CAN / Bauchi State Government Sponsors 2,306 Christians On Pilgrimage / 3 Types Of " Christians " On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians On Nairaland by nuclearboy(m): 10:13pm On Sep 06, 2010
okay, so this is not a "true" Christian discussion but I was thinking - based on what I read here, who would I listen to if I find something I do not understand in the Scriptures or I want sincere CHRISTIAN counsel. I put together a list and would really wish to know what background affiliation these people have i.e. Baptist, RCC, Pentecostal, Seventh-day, whatever.

Those I view as being truly maturing Christians here would be

Jesoul (ladies first)
Pilgrim1 (never knew her though I hear she re-incarnated as the Angel Viaro, commander of the linear-tarradiddle hosts)
TV01 (I call him "Teach"wink
Aletheia
Enigma
Ttalks
Viaro
Inesqor
David-the-Giant-Killer-dylan
Noetic 1 - 17  grin
cgift
Olaadegbu (sincere even though I saw him as dogmatic and trying too hard. But definitely clean and straightforward)
yommyuk
No2atheism (where's that dude?)
Kunleoshob (tithe-Master)

PS: I was/am still Pentecostal though I've been everything in and out of Christianity in the past too.

If its not too much to ask, whats your "church" type?

PS: This list may not be exhaustive and I may have forgotten some biggies. One name escapes me but I also know him as "Modamo"!
Re: Christians On Nairaland by ttalks(m): 9:32am On Sep 07, 2010
Hi nuclearboy, . . . wink

Not really sure how to answer ur question as regards "church type".
But I think what I should do is give background info on where I was before and where I am now.

I was born into a muslim family, and I was a muslim for the first 14 years of my life.
Then, in the 14th year; somewhere down the middle, I became Christian and joined the Pentecostal movement.
Was in the pentecostal movement for about 13 years before my eyes got open to the hidden truths(although not really hidden) in the
word of God.
Dusted my feet off the pentecostal movement in a slow and gradual process and now find myself with a group of believers that I can't really place
a classification on 'cos it ain't a denominational stuff; just a group of "serious-with-the-truth-of-the-bible" christians who have left
the popular everyday doctrines being spouted from the pulpits far and wide.
Have been there for a couple of years now; although I'm highly irregular due to the nature of my job.

So as it is, my "church type" has no classification. grin
Re: Christians On Nairaland by fyneguy: 10:26am On Sep 07, 2010
Hmmm

I suppose one should be bold enough to tell us the name of his church
Re: Christians On Nairaland by KunleOshob(m): 1:28pm On Sep 07, 2010
I describe myself as non-denominational even though I fellowship with a group of believers who are sincerely seeking the truth. My christian beliefs are based purely on the direct teachings of our lord Jesus christ and the principles of Love he established. I also derive knowledge from the writings of the apostles for doctrine. I take the old terstament with a pinch of salt cos a lot of things in it are not relevant to christianity, it is an old way that has been replaced with a new covenant even though some preachers appeal to it when it favours them. In all I don't believe in church denominations becos it goes directly against clear scriptural instructions. I also believe that the overwhelming majority of churches today (at least in Nigeria) have deviated from true christianity to a man made variant of it which I consider as false religion.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by yommyuk: 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2010
My church is Celestial church of Christ. Despite some of it's shortcomings, I still see Christ as the Anchor of the church. It is a church where you can see the move of God in the natural with your naked eye. Keeps my feet on a solid ground.

I am also exposed to the sermon of some Truth Speakers like Andrew Wommack, TD Jakes,Joyce Meyer,Brian Houston, Federick K Price, etc. This allows me to broaden my Spiritual Horizon.

All in All my brother, I follow Christ. cool
Re: Christians On Nairaland by toluxa1(m): 3:49pm On Sep 07, 2010
KunleOshob:

I describe myself as non-denominational even though I fellowship with a group of believers who are sincerely seeking the truth. My christian beliefs are based purely on the direct teachings of our lord Jesus christ and the principles of Love he established. I also derive knowledge from the writings of the apostles for doctrine. I take the old terstament with a pinch of salt cos a lot of things in it are not relevant to christianity, it is an old way that has been replaced with a new covenant even though some preachers appeal to it when it favours them. In all I don't believe in church denominations becos it goes directly against clear scriptural instructions. I also believe that the overwhelming majority of churches today (at least in Nigeria) have deviated from true christianity to a man made variant of it which I consider as false religion.

I agree totally with what you have said except for the BOLDED. It takes real hard work and God's wisdom for one to see and understand the 'riches' of the Old testament. In fact, Both the New and old testament are equally important as they came from the mouth of God.

Scripture says:

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Re: Christians On Nairaland by JeSoul(f): 6:28pm On Sep 07, 2010
Ttalks, so many have your same testimony of being 'saved' from the pentecostal movement. May God continue to bless you.

Nukedude, whut up?
  I think I recall Pilgrim mention once that she attended a baptist church? As for No2Atheism, he quit NL a while back.

Church affiliation . . . hmmm, I have none really. Due to my music involvement I've been afforded the opportunity to visit and fellowship in all kinds of different churches from baptist to pentecostal to catholic. And If there's one thing I've learned, its that there is no one church that has it all together. I do have a church (pentecostal) that I regularly attend when I'm home but I'm not a member. I see and hear all kinds of things that I do not agree with, but I do love the church though I don't really participate in much "church stuff/events". I'm much more active/closer with my friends who are believers. We hang out, study, fellowship as time permits us these busy days. And in recent times, Romans 14:22 has become my motto.

Hope that answers? smiley
Re: Christians On Nairaland by ow11(m): 6:59pm On Sep 07, 2010
Not a very regular member on this board but I belong to the pentecostal movement. Have been most of my life!

I upsets me when Christians try to use false science to preach the gospel as if the stories in the bible need to be proven by anyone. It upsets me when Christians do so and somehow puts me on the side with 'atheists' which isn't cool!

I would however prefer Christians stuck to the bible and visited 'Answers in Genesis' a lot less. Other than this and the general ostentatious lives many men of God live in Nigeria, I am at peace with the gospel and conduct of the children of God.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by noetic16(m): 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2010
KunleOshob:

I describe myself as non-denominational even though[size=15pt] I fellowship with a group of believers who are sincerely seeking the truth.[/size] My christian beliefs are based purely on the direct teachings of our lord Jesus christ and the principles of Love he established. I also derive knowledge from the writings of the apostles for doctrine. I take the old terstament with a pinch of salt cos a lot of things in it are not relevant to christianity, it is an old way that has been replaced with a new covenant even though some preachers appeal to it when it favours them. In all I don't believe in church denominations becos it goes directly against clear scriptural instructions. I also believe that the overwhelming majority of churches today (at least in Nigeria) have deviated from true christianity to a man made variant of it which I consider as false religion.

they are seeking the truth because they share ur dogma. please be real grin
Re: Christians On Nairaland by noetic16(m): 7:02pm On Sep 07, 2010
@ OP

I am a non-conformist Christian.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 07, 2010
noetic16:

they are seeking the truth because they share your dogma. please be real grin
u can say this over&over again. I wonder when a few sect share views, they tend to believe they re on the right path, thinking others are deluded.Wheres the reverse is the case
Re: Christians On Nairaland by noetic16(m): 7:17pm On Sep 07, 2010
toba:

u can say this over&over again. I wonder when a few sect share views, they tend to believe they re on the right path, thinking others are deluded.Wheres the reverse is the case
grin grin so because they dont pay tithes they are all going to heaven grin
Re: Christians On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 07, 2010
Thats BS. Only God knows whos going to heaven. Some atheists might even qualify ahead of some so 'called S.U'
Re: Christians On Nairaland by nuclearboy(m): 8:38pm On Sep 07, 2010
Amazing how most are non-conformists who "basically" refuse to be affiliated to any "church" and were "delivered" usually from pentecostalism. Makes one remember the issue of some being known as the "called-out" ones! Also makes me wonder anew at the identity of Babylon the LovePeddler!

"ttalks" is especially interesting to me because that obviously was an issue of a person truly "called out".

Kunle is quite a character (to be sincere). tithes Tithes TITHES! grin But it goes past that, my brother. And I'm honored to call you such!

@Toluxa1:

I missed out your name (forgot since you've been hiding). I also missed out chukwudi44 who I respect except for supporting RCC no matter what!

@Image123:

The penchant to refuse to accept wrong EVER is the only undoing I see. Aside that, Thumbs up to you! cool Toba supports any thing that looks or sounds Christian - but all that glitters is not gold: we're meant to judge starting from inside.

Our darling Jesoul:

smiley

Finally to Noetic 1, 2, 3,4,5,6,7,8 , 17:

NL has no sword/gun logo else I've have presented "arms"! wink
Re: Christians On Nairaland by TV01(m): 10:39pm On Sep 07, 2010
Post believing, I was a "deep-end" Pentacostal for 6+ years. I was "church boy" and fully immersed in the religious life. I grew and advanced beyond my contemporaries and in literally no time had the traditions down to  "T". But I never ceased to cry to Him, saying, "I hear what they say, I listen to the MOG, I obey without question, but I need to hear You for myself. Then He spoke! And shredded all my doctrine and recieved notions. Block by block, He dismantled the edifice I'd built. Of course, I didn't fall easily. I went to great lenghts to explain to God how we "did church". But the merest glimpse of a revelation of Christ left me without appetite for men and their traditions. And I am happy to count it all loss that I may gain Him. Godspeed.

TV

to answer your question? I am "non-denominational", don't have church "membership" or a pastor "in authority" over me. No "physical" affiliations as such.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by TV01(m): 10:43pm On Sep 07, 2010
fyneguy:

Hmmm

I suppose one should be bold enough to tell us the name of his church

You miss road abi?
Re: Christians On Nairaland by toluxa1(m): 10:59am On Sep 08, 2010
nuclearboy:

@Toluxa1:

I missed out your name (forgot since you've been hiding).

Lol. Not really sire. Sometimes I really want to post somethings but when I come across REALLY REALLY long posts by you, KunleOsho, Joe (sometimes I wonder whether you guys had long typing lessons), I dont know where to start from, so I just read and read. I'm mostly around.

Last time I tried to post something it was deleted by whoever. I just finished a study on 2 Tim. 4 that night and then I heard you mention something about people having itching ears, wanting to hear what they want to hear.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;.

nuclearboy:

Amazing how most are non-conformists who "basically" refuse to be affiliated to any "church" and were "delivered" usually from pentecostalism. Makes one remember the issue of some being known as the "called-out" ones! Also makes me wonder anew at the identity of Babylon the LovePeddler!

I am feeling you bro. Ekuse!

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by aletheia(m): 6:10pm On Sep 08, 2010
My journey: Born into a nominal "Christian" home that mixed Christian beliefs with fetish practices. Then went to secondary school and believed on Jesus as Lord and Saviour at age 15. Was zealous for a few years then drifted away from the Lord until University where the Lord graciously turned me back to him through some of his servants and His Word. To Him be praise and glory.

I don't identify with any denomination though the place where I regularly worship has an Evangelical-affiliation (similar to Baptist).
Re: Christians On Nairaland by fyneguy: 8:01pm On Sep 08, 2010
TV01:

You miss road abi?

Itching to get insulted? You should strive to keep your dignity, however herculean.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by TV01(m): 9:45pm On Sep 08, 2010
fyneguy:

Itching to get insulted? You should strive to keep your dignity, however herculean.

Neither you nor your ilk were RSVP'ed, but in your hubris you had to gatecrash and trumpet your presence in an sneeringly ugly manner. It's probably pointless telling you that you don't actually have the wherewithal to disturb my dignity, although certainly less so thant trying to deny you your deep craving to spew your religiosity.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by fyneguy: 10:25am On Sep 09, 2010
grin^

RSVPed ? heehheheheheheehehe

I used to think only nuclearboy was full of gibberish. Your case is even more pathetic.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by nuclearboy(m): 5:55am On Sep 10, 2010
@TV01:

Please let it go. What you are/have will be a source of worry and fear to contrary spirits. You cannot expect their love
Re: Christians On Nairaland by ogoamaka99(m): 6:20am On Sep 10, 2010
@ nuclearBOY,
     Boy oh! boy. What a post. Are you a Christian?. I wish to use this thread to challenge you to prove that you are a true christian. I ask this question because Christians are known for fellowship with one another. They fellowship by gathering in a location which is called church. If you are a true christian prove to us that you have a place you fellowship?.   Moreover a true christian has an overseer or pastor over his/her head, prove to us that you have an overseer or pastor over your head or that you are an overseer yourself.
   Members of this forum demand the above proof from you.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by Rhino3dm: 10:34am On Sep 10, 2010
Hmm. You are challenging nuclear boy? ? Heeey! When the explosion happens we wont let you go AWOL. . .
Re: Christians On Nairaland by KunleOshob(m): 12:27pm On Sep 10, 2010
@ogoamaka
Kindly provide scriptural backing for the hubris you ranted above.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by nuclearboy(m): 1:05pm On Sep 10, 2010
@kunle:

Why bother to respond to "it". Ogoamaka99 is a waste of space and time - I wonder if such were not created just so the rest of us know that no matter how bad things are, we have plenty to thank God for. At least our brains are functional and common sense is available to us.

Imagine a human saying the only way to know christians is if they follow other men when Christ Himself said only God has such honor. Dead, rotted, stinking lying fellow. Next you'll hear from him is "poverty mentality" showing life for the mistake is about cash.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by Rhino3dm: 1:44pm On Sep 10, 2010
Roflmao.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by JeSoul(f): 2:19pm On Sep 10, 2010
ogoamaka99:

Moreover a true christian has an overseer or pastor over his/her head, prove to us that you have an overseer or pastor over your head or that you are an overseer yourself.

Few things tick me off more than this.

When I'd go to different churches to do music/poetry, I'd get asked all the time by mostly elderly folks (Godbless them) "who's your pastor?" "who's spiritual headship are you under?". The question always annoys me. It insinuated 2 things:
  1- that if a christian is not "under the authority" of some pastor somewhere they are somehow illegitimate christians. And
  2- that I must've acquired the scriptural knowledge that I displayed from a pastor. As if it were impossible to learn by studying the bible for oneself.

Please where is the scriptural directive that demands the submission of christians to pastors?
Re: Christians On Nairaland by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:00pm On Sep 10, 2010
JeSoul:

Few things tick me off more than this.

When I'd go to different churches to do music/poetry, I'd get asked all the time by mostly elderly folks (Godbless them) "who's your pastor?" "who's spiritual headship are you under?". The question always annoys me. It insinuated 2 things:
1- that if a christian is not "under the authority" of some pastor somewhere they are somehow illegitimate christians. And
2- that I must've acquired the scriptural knowledge that I displayed from a pastor. As if it were impossible to learn by studying the bible for oneself.

Please where is the scriptural directive that demands the submission of christians to pastors?

You cannot be further pissed than i am. even with the current Christian Association of Nigeria, they ask the same putrid questions, which pastor groomed you? I mean WTF!! TB Joshua was posed the same question, when he made claims to being a ManOfGod. I mean we all know TBJ was abducted by aliens and they did stuff to him grin
Re: Christians On Nairaland by aletheia(m): 4:39pm On Sep 10, 2010
@ogoamaka99:
An example of bad and poor teaching internalized and subsequently regurgitated as a putrid mess!

ogoamaka99:

Are you a Christian?. I wish to use this thread to challenge you to prove that you are a true christian.
Do mere words prove that one is a Christian?

ogoamaka99:

I ask this question because Christians are known for fellowship with one another. They fellowship by gathering in a location which is called church.
Mohammedans fellowship with one another: does that prove they are Christians? The Church of Christ is not. . .a location.

ogoamaka99:

If you are a true christian prove to us that you have a place you fellowship?.
Being a true disciple of Christ is not about convocations, conclaves or congregations. It is about obedience.

ogoamaka99:

Moreover a true christian has an overseer or pastor over his/her head, prove to us that you have an overseer or pastor over your head or that you are an overseer yourself.
The Head of any true Christian is Jesus Christ. False cult followers like you demand for overseers &c and follow men (which only illustrates the nature of most of the PFN)

ogoamaka99:

Members of this forum demand the above proof from you.
You do not speak for me.
Re: Christians On Nairaland by yommyuk: 11:41pm On Sep 10, 2010
@ogoamaka99

When Jesus wanted to appoint his disciples, the most obvious thing he could have done was go to the Synagogue and choose the Levites who worked in the Temple. But he choose men who had no attachment to the Temple. Fishermen, Tax Collectors and no hopers.

Your question is similar to the pharisees who thought Jesus was casting out demons with the power of satan. Why? because Jesus was not the typical Levite or High priest they saw in the temple. He did not dress like them or talk like them. His ways were not their ways.

John 1:12-13
But to all who believe him and accepted him(CHRIST), he gave the "RIGHT" to become children of God. They are reborn- not with a physical birth resulting from "human passion or plan", but a birth that comes from God.

That is why Jesus Christ said "Even if you do not believe in me, Believe in the "works" (Signs and Wonders) I do" Instead of you focusing on another brother's denominational affliations, FOCUS on the Words of God that he is advocating.

A true Christian is not a matter of physical attachement to a so called church. A true Christian  spiritually realises a total transformation in the spiritual core of  his/her being. This should not be mistaken for  physical rejuvenation, or psychological adjustment, or social improvement, but spiritual exchange and regeneration.
Be YE doers of the WORD and not followers of men sad
Re: Christians On Nairaland by InesQor(m): 8:18am On Sep 11, 2010
Inesqor's Spiritual Odyssey:

I was born into a home with a mother who was a church-goer and a father, a very learned man who had studied various religions (he could accurately and with ease, quote from various religious material) and who had decided to pursue Ifa (his own father used to lump Ifa with church-going). Thus, I was coerced to practise Ifa few times with the family but I went to church more often, howbeit coerced as well. I was barely a teenager when my brother became a Christian and I noticed how improved his life altogether became, so I told him I would like to attend the teenage fellowship he used to attend at our Baptist Church.

Summarily, God took a hold of us and we declared that we would no longer attend ANY of Dad's Ifa practices because they were plainly a manipulation of spiritual principles (I dont want to go into that at the moment, please). Eventually, Mum and our other siblings really became Christian too. For 8 years I thoroughly grew at that Teenage church, in followership for one year and then progressively, in cadres of leadership (which geared me up to be better built in my faith).

Towards the end of these 8 years, I joined a WOF group at the University and then learnt "new things" that reminded me of many mystical grab-have Ifa practices that attempt to manipulate deity via incantations and sacrifices (and I was even told that this was the Christian equivalent, and it was alright). I needed ONE YEAR AWAY from it (while on NYSC, so much free time to revisit all that I thought I knew) to shake it all off and see light. By the time I joined Nairaland, I still had some streaks of WOF thought because it's very deep poison, although I had broken free from a lot of it. So I was glad to see that many other people saw this for what it was. I thought I was alone. Now, many of the WOFers who we used to fellowship together are amazed when I converse with them today, because I was, like, second to the head when I left there.

Right now, I take time out to study the Word and listen to God for myself. I don't believe anything just because a Christian, howbeit a "Man of God" says so. Once in a while I attend the same Baptist church where I grew to help out with the same teenage group. But I worship with a certain inter-denominational Christian church.

As Jesoul hinted, nowhere is perfect. I also disagree with some of the things taught at this church, but then if there is a global drought I would rather drink fairly muddy water than drink poison.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Win War Without Fighting- Arch Bishop Benson Idahosa / Must A Good Christian Attend Church? / Contra Bibliolatreia I Mark 10:5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.