Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Quran-burning Event - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Quran-burning Event (4245 Views)

Captured Boko Haram (ISIS) Leader Can't Pray Or Read Quran (Video) / PDP Queries Buhari ‘indifference’ To Burning National Issues / Americans On Washington Post Hail Burning Of Suspected Female Boko Haram Bomber (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quran-burning Event by naijaking1: 11:26pm On Sep 06, 2010
What do you think about this event planned for FL?

[size=18pt]Church plans Quran-burning event[/size]

Lauren Russell, CNN

In protest of what it calls a religion "of the devil," a nondenominational church in Gainesville, Florida, plans to host an "International Burn a Quran Day" on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The Dove World Outreach Center says it is hosting the event to remember 9/11 victims and take a stand against Islam. With promotions on its website and Facebook page, it invites Christians to burn the Muslim holy book at the church from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

"We believe that Islam is of the devil, that it's causing billions of people to go to hell, it is a deceptive religion, it is a violent religion and that is proven many, many times," Pastor Terry Jones told CNN's Rick Sanchez earlier this week.

Jones wrote a book titled "Islam is of the Devil," and the church sells coffee mugs and shirts featuring the phrase.

Muslims and many other Christians -- including some evangelicals -- are fighting the initiative.

The church launched a YouTube channel to disseminate its messages.

"I mean ask yourself, have you ever really seen a really happy Muslim? As they're on the way to Mecca? As they gather together in the mosque on the floor? Does it look like a real religion of joy?" Jones asks in one of his YouTube posts.

"No, to me it looks like a religion of the devil."

The Islamic advocacy group Council on American-Islamic Relations called on Muslims and others to host "Share the Quran" dinners to educate the public during the monthlong fast of Ramadan beginning in August. In a news release, the group announced a campaign to give out 100,000 copies of the Quran to local, state and national leaders.

"American Muslims and other people of conscience should support positive educational efforts to prevent the spread of Islamophobia," said CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper in the release.

The National Association of Evangelicals, the nation's largest umbrella evangelical group, issued a statement urging the church to cancel the event, warning it could cause worldwide tension between the two religions.

"The NAE calls on its members to cultivate relationships of trust and respect with our neighbors of other faiths. God created human beings in his image, and therefore all should be treated with dignity and respect," it said in the statement.

Dove's Facebook page, set up for the September event, has more than 1,600 fans.

"Eternal fire is the only destination the Quran can lead people to, so we want to put the Quran in it's [sic] place -- the fire!" the page says.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-29/us/florida.burn.quran.day_1_american-muslims-religion-cair-spokesman-ibrahim-hooper?_s=PM:US
Re: Quran-burning Event by Oba234: 11:35pm On Sep 06, 2010
honestly, why are they seeking provocation? Gosh, this is so unnecessary. They are not behaving like christians. "The bible says do unto others as you would want others to do unto you" will they like it if someone create and even called burn the bible day? They have a right to do it, but they are just seeking unnecessary provocation. By doing this they are spreading intolerance and hate.
Re: Quran-burning Event by Okijajuju1(m): 11:41pm On Sep 06, 2010
I hope the U.S intelligence and EMS departments are ready for the fall out of such an occasion. This is an invitation to war o!! Who ever the ignoramus is that is planning this event, he had better be arrested for acts tantamount to provoke acts of terrorism now before its too late o!

The Islamic world would not retaliate by burning bibles o!!
Re: Quran-burning Event by EzeUche22(m): 11:41pm On Sep 06, 2010
God knows what will happen in Nigeria if they do this event!

Remember what happened with the Mohammed Cartoons. Just imagine what some Muslim fanatics up North will do to Christians living in the North who have nothing to do with this act.
Re: Quran-burning Event by Okijajuju1(m): 11:47pm On Sep 06, 2010
^^^^ Abi o! Good observation!!

Someone had better forward this link to Onovo and the Chief of defense staff O!!
Re: Quran-burning Event by Nobody: 11:53pm On Sep 06, 2010
Yea, useless ppl. Christians ni yen o.

I just hope it doesnt cause an uproar. My safety matters o
Re: Quran-burning Event by naijaking1: 12:38am On Sep 07, 2010
EzeUche22:

God knows what will happen in Nigeria if they do this event!

Remember what happened with the Mohammed Cartoons. Just imagine what some Muslim fanatics up North will do to Christians living in the North who have nothing to do with this act.

That's where I was coming from shocked
Re: Quran-burning Event by Nobody: 2:15am On Sep 07, 2010
You can burn the American flag in the US too. But it is not wise to burn the Quran. When the extremists react, innocent people will die. This is plain sad. They are free to do it but it's not wise.
Re: Quran-burning Event by GAR3TH(m): 2:27am On Sep 07, 2010
americans are F**king stup!d  angry

anyway someone should contact the chief of defense, NIA or any gov/ military security agency for them to have the proper protocol in place, in-case a horrible event does happen in nigeria in response to the burning.

Can someone if not every one contact all forms of gov/ military agencies
Re: Quran-burning Event by GAR3TH(m): 2:33am On Sep 07, 2010
[size=16pt]Religious leaders decry plans for Quran burning[/size]

Religious leaders gathered in Houston on Saturday to condemn a Florida church's campaign to burn hundreds of Qurans later this week.

Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, Sikh, Zoroastrian and Muslim clergy spoke to about 120 people at an interfaith symposium held at the Baitus Samee Mosque in northwest Houston. They discussed the sanctity of scriptures and denounced the ill-treatment of religious books.

"Even if it is a human document merely inspired by encounters of the divine, or generations of my people's wisdom passed down and kept sacred, it is still sacred," Rabbi Jonathan Siger told the audience.

Notorious past

The symposium was held in response to the Dove World Outreach Center's announcement of a "Burn a Quran Day" on Sept. 11 at their church property in Gainesville, Fla.

The non-denominational church gained notoriety in 2009 for its "Islam is of the Devil" signs posted on the church's lawn.

"Islam is a very oppressive religion, and the Quran is definitely a dangerous book," said Terry Jones, pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center. "We want to send a clear message to radical Muslims, that in the U.S., we are not interested in shariah law and shariah courts. We have a Constitution, and we hope to uphold it."

Though the church was denied a burning permit by Gainesville authorities, members still plans to burn "a couple hundred Qurans" on the evening of Sept. 11 to commemorate those killed in the World Trade Center attacks.

A radical response

Jones agreed that burning books may be perceived as radical, but it is the only way to get their message across, he said.

"The radical Muslims are not interested in dialogue or peace," Jones said. "Their religion is so radical that they are willing to die for the cause, so our message has to be this radical in order for them to understand."

The campaign has gained more than 7,000 fans on its Facebook page, and organizers expect several hundred participants at the event.

Many panel members at the interfaith symposium expressed personal and religious disapproval of the church's actions.

"I'm absolutely horrified and beyond disgusted at their behavior," said Siger of Congregation Jewish Community.

Siger, a former Gainesville resident, likened the burnings to the Holocaust.

"The Jews, particularly, are very familiar with book burnings," Siger said. "First they burn books, then they burn people."

Pastor Dale Inman of Calvary Road Baptist Church said not only will the burnings cause hate, but the event also goes against biblical teachings.

"The words of the Bible says that 'All men shall know whom are my disciples because of your love, one for another,' and I don't find burning the Quran a way of promoting friendship and unity amongst people," said Inman, a panel member at the event.

Similar texts

The irony of Christians burning the Quran, he said, is that the Quran and Bible have many similarities.

"Many Christians don't know that there are many stories in the Quran that can be found directly out of the Bible; the stories of Adam and Eve, Noah, the flood," he said. "There are areas that are different, but there are a lot of the same stories."

While the Muslim community condemns the actions of the church, symposium co-organizer Dawood Munir said he doesn't believe burning the Quran will devalue the book in any way.

"The burning event is promoting bitterness, but it will not hurt the Quran," said Munir, president of the Cypress chapter of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. "By burning a paper and burning a book, it only hurts the emotions, but it cannot burn the teachings which are in the heart of the people."

Central to the belief of Muslims, Munir said, is that the Quran is the literal word of God and therefore God himself will protect his book. "So we're not too worried," Munir said.

Siger told participants that he's pleased the Houston community rejected the bait of hatred and came together to share their love of scripture with mutual respect.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7187112.html
Re: Quran-burning Event by chyz(m): 2:34am On Sep 07, 2010
Its not the americans that have to worry. the muslims would die in high numbers by gang assassinations and US law enforcement.The people that have to worry are christians in other countries. I think christians in the north should back up and head home or to the army barracks because groups like OPC and IYC or Ohanaeze are as usual are not going to protect their brothers in the north.
Re: Quran-burning Event by naijaking1: 2:46am On Sep 07, 2010
A radical christian is as dangerous as a radical muslim. No need for exteremism.
Re: Quran-burning Event by EzeUche22(m): 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2010
naijaking1:

A radical christian is as dangerous as a radical muslim. No need for exteremism.

I would not go that far. How many radical Christians you see blowing themselves up?

1 Like

Re: Quran-burning Event by philip0906(m): 5:35pm On Sep 07, 2010
EzeUche22:

I would not go that far. How many radical Christians you see blowing themselves up?
Nice question. . .
Re: Quran-burning Event by seanet02: 5:40pm On Sep 07, 2010
philip0906:

Nice question. . .
i support you. its the same thing RADICALISM has no tribalistic approach
Re: Quran-burning Event by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 07, 2010
What do the id'iots hope to achieve if they burn all available quran ? Does it in anyway change the religion or stop muslims from practicing their religion anyways i just hope my yoruba folks up north can start moving en-masse home before the almajiris start their reprisal killings.
Re: Quran-burning Event by chosen04(f): 6:09pm On Sep 07, 2010
Will it make the world a better place?

******Not a nice move at all******
Re: Quran-burning Event by seanet02: 6:11pm On Sep 07, 2010
chosen04:

Will it make the world a better place?

******Not a nice move at all******
I WONDER OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Quran-burning Event by philip0906(m): 6:18pm On Sep 07, 2010
The Bible was,is and will remain d best selling book of all time so any so-called "christian" burning d quran is only a fool,cos there is no competition whatsoever

1 Like

Re: Quran-burning Event by seanet02: 6:21pm On Sep 07, 2010
philip0906:

The Bible was,is and will remain d best selling book of all time so any so-called "christian" burning d quran is only a fool,cos there is no competition whatsoever

The QURAN was,is and will remain d best selling book of all time so any so-called "MUSLIMS" burning d bible is only a fool,cos there is no competition whatsoever
Re: Quran-burning Event by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 07, 2010
seanet02:

The QURAN was,is and will remain d best selling book of all time so any so-called "MUSLIMS" burning d bible is only a fool,cos there is no competition whatsoever
I think the christains feel threatened here cuz from the comment of the organizers,it seem they are scared that the islamic religion is growing despite all the so-called conspiracy against it.
Re: Quran-burning Event by philip0906(m): 6:29pm On Sep 07, 2010
seanet02:

grin grin grin
~Bluetooth:

I think the christains feel threatened here cuz from the comment of the organizers,it seem they are scared that the islamic religion is growing despite all the so-called conspiracy against it.
Please don't generalise it.Many Christians have even openly rejected dat.Not everyone dat says he/she is a christian is.Many just hide under d banner of Christianity.
Religious leaders gathered in Houston on Saturday to condemn a Florida church's campaign to burn hundreds of Qurans later this week.

Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, Sikh, Zoroastrian and Muslim clergy spoke to about 120 people at an interfaith symposium held at the Baitus Samee Mosque in northwest Houston. They discussed the sanctity of scriptures and denounced the ill-treatment of religious books.
Re: Quran-burning Event by philip0906(m): 6:32pm On Sep 07, 2010
@seanet02
This might probably interest u
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books
Re: Quran-burning Event by seanet02: 6:39pm On Sep 07, 2010
philip0906:

@seanet02
This might probably interest u
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

the same wikipedia that says you never believed when its says WARRI BELONGS TO ITSHEKRI
Re: Quran-burning Event by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 07, 2010
The funniest part is that the pastor's church just have 50 members. . .i think the guy just need attention.person
Ileke-IdI:

Yea, useless ppl.  Christians ni yen o.

I just hope it doesnt cause an uproar. My safety matters o
i hope that is not your church that is planning to start third world war
Re: Quran-burning Event by philip0906(m): 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

The funniest part is that the pastor's church just have 50 members. . .i think the guy just need attention.fcktardi hope that is not your church that is planning to start third world war
Did not even notice that grin grin grin grin My question then is,y r they been paid this much attention?
Re: Quran-burning Event by philip0906(m): 6:51pm On Sep 07, 2010
seanet02:

the same wikipedia that says you never believed when its says WARRI BELONGS TO ITSHEKRI
Ok since u don't believe wikipedia,hope u'll believe this or d'u want me 2 put up an Islamic site claiming dat the Bible is indeed d highest selling book of all time? grin grin
http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/bestsellerFARQ.html
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/literature/21-best-selling-books-of-all-time.htm
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-top-selling-books-of-all-time.htm
Re: Quran-burning Event by seanet02: 6:55pm On Sep 07, 2010
philip0906:

Ok since u don't believe wikipedia,hope u'll believe this or d'u want me 2 put up an Islamic site claiming dat the Bible is indeed d highest selling book of all time? grin grin
http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/bestsellerFARQ.html
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/literature/21-best-selling-books-of-all-time.htm
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-top-selling-books-of-all-time.htm
Complete rubbish stop inciting violence
Re: Quran-burning Event by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 07, 2010
philip0906:

Did not even notice that grin grin grin grin My question then is,y r they been paid this much attention?
I just watched the live report from cnn i-desk where the US army commander was reacting to the planned event on its dangers to the lives of the US forces in kabul where there is already a protest. . .so the issue here is not about the size of the congregation but the consequence the act itself will cause the whole world besides only a single man was involved in the controversial picture of the prophet mohammed
Re: Quran-burning Event by philip0906(m): 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2010
seanet02:

Complete rubbish stop inciting violence
ok sorry grin grin
Re: Quran-burning Event by philip0906(m): 7:03pm On Sep 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I just watched the live report from cnn i-desk where the US army commander was reacting to the planned event on its dangers to the lives of the US forces in kabul where there is already a protest. . .so the issue here is not about the size of the congregation but the consequence the act itself will cause the whole world besides only a single man was involved in the controversial picture of the prophet mohammed
Very true. . .I just wish our muslim "brothers" will know dat many of us Christians are against it.It is totally uncalled for and amounts 2 sheer stupidity
Re: Quran-burning Event by naijaking1: 9:28pm On Sep 07, 2010
EzeUche22:

Religion remains an opium to society. The less you know it's an opium, the more the effect on you.
I have seen fellow christians 'take their lives' based on bibilical understanding, the only difference with suicide bombers maybe that the muslims are engaged in a war effort. Neverthless, the principle is the same: taking one's own life with the hope for a better life in heaven.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sanusi Lamido Is A Liar. Lawmakers / Boko Haram Member Arrested In Abuja / World Bank Team To Vet Fg Contracts - Gej

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.