Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison (4952 Views)

Army Kills 14 Boko Haram Members As Sect Attacks Military Base In Yobe / Heavy Fighting In Bagana Kogi State / Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Beaf: 10:43pm On Sep 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Suspected Islamists attack prison in Nigeria: authorities[/size]
(AFP) – 2 hours ago

KANO, Nigeria — Suspected members of an Islamist sect that launched an uprising last year attacked a prison in northern Nigeria on Tuesday, officials said, sparking a fierce gun battle with authorities.

Authorities in Bauchi said they repelled the attack, which followed a spate of recent shootings blamed on the sect. Residents said that military and police were occasionally firing into the air as they locked the area down.

"There was heavy fighting between the attackers and the security forces which lasted for almost an hour. It was quite terrifying," resident Usman Ahmad told AFP by phone.

Residents took cover to avoid being caught in the crossfire and to keep from being mistaken for one of the sect members, he said.

"The army and police personnel have been deployed in large numbers and have taken control of the area around the prison," Ahmad said.

"But for sporadic shooting in the air by the army and the police, it's calm. Fighting has stopped."

Bauchi state police commissioner Danlami Yar'Adua and an adviser to the state governor confirmed the attack, with both saying the situation had been brought under control.

Neither said whether anyone was killed or if prisoners had escaped. It was also unclear how many alleged sect members were involved.

"The Bauchi central prison was attacked this evening by people believed to be members of Boko Haram in an attempt to free their comrades," Bauchi state police commissioner Danlami Yar'Adua said, referring to the name of the sect.

"They arrived at the prison and began shooting sporadically to gain access, but we deployed our anti-riot policemen, who engaged them and contained the situation."

Police have been among the victims of the recent deadly shootings in northern Nigeria blamed on members of the sect. At least nine people have been killed by motorcycle-riding gunmen.

Last year's uprising by Boko Haram, also known as the Nigerian Taliban, began with attacks on police posts.

It was crushed by a police and military assault, with hundreds eventually killed and the sect's headquarters and mosque left in ruins.

Its leader, Mohammed Yusuf, was captured alive and then killed on July 30 last year by police, who said he was trying to escape.

Police also insist that Yusuf's deputy, Abubakar Shekau, was killed last year, though he recently appeared on video issuing new threats. Police say the clips are digital mock-ups.

At the time of the one-year anniversary of the uprising in July, authorities in Maiduguri, where the sect was based, insisted there was no threat of attacks, but security was tightened and intelligence agents blanketed the city.

The recent shootings had signaled the sect may be preparing to strike again in Africa's most populous nation.

Most of the shootings occurred in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, where authorities earlier Tuesday banned the use of motorcycles at night in a bid to stop the violence.

Tuesday's attack comes just before the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan and ahead of January presidential elections.

Boko Haram, which means "Western education is sin" in local Hausa dialect, had fought for the creation of an Islamic state in Nigeria, whose 150 million population is divided roughly in half between Christians and Muslims.

Nigeria's north is mainly Muslim, while the south is predominately Christian.

The vast majority of Muslims in the country reject the sect's hardline ideology, and many observers say the group grew out of frustration with Nigeria's widespread corruption, poverty and lack of opportunities for youths.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i47w4QUoZbMAQaYX03nIL2ws_PNg

www.nairaland.com/attachments/317658_Bauchi_jpgf863c7b146d5632d232e46ce193139c5
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Beaf: 10:48pm On Sep 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Breaking News: Boko Haram Organizes Prison Break In Bauchi[/size]
Posted: September 7, 2010 - 21:31
By SaharaReporters, New York

The religious sect known as Boko Haram this evening in Bauchi State demonstrated the porousness of Nigerian security by carrying off an audacious prison break and freeing over 700 people being held in the federal prison there.

The prison is located in front of the palace of the Emir of Bauchi. Eye witnesses told Saharareporters that the group struck at about the time Muslims, including the Emir, were breaking their fast.

The Emir quickly vacated his palace while soldiers and police were being drafted from the nearby city of Jos. The governor of the state, Isah Yuguda, is currently in Saudi Arabia in observance of Hajj.

This is the third time in three days that the sect, which began an uprising in Bauchi last year, would strike.

As Sahareporters reported yesterday, Boko Haram militants have also killed district heads and a retired police officer in Maiduguri near the palace of the Shehu of Borno.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-boko-haram-organizes-prison-break-bauchi
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Kilode1: 11:10pm On Sep 07, 2010
They should have taken those Boko-Haram prisoners away from Northern Nigeria Prisons or at least away from the Borno-Bauchi area.

The proximity to their comrades could be too tempting for the miscreants.

Did the courts try them before jailing them?
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by chyz(m): 11:20pm On Sep 07, 2010
[size=18pt]Breaking News: Boko Haram Organizes Prison Break In Bauchi[/size]

Posted: September 7, 2010 - 21:31

By SaharaReporters, New York

The religious sect known as Boko Haram this evening in Bauchi State demonstrated the porousness of Nigerian security by carrying off an audacious prison break and freeing over 700 people being held in the federal prison there.

The prison is located in front of the palace of the Emir of Bauchi. Eye witnesses told Saharareporters that the group struck at about the time Muslims, including the Emir, were breaking their fast.

The Emir quickly vacated his palace while soldiers and police were being drafted from the nearby city of Jos. The governor of the state, Isah Yuguda, is currently in Saudi Arabia in observance of Hajj.

This is the third time in three days that the sect, which began an uprising in Bauchi last year, would strike.

As Sahareporters reported yesterday, Boko Haram militants have also killed district heads and a retired police officer in Maiduguri near the palace of the Shehu of Borno.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-boko-haram-organizes-prison-break-bauchi
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by chyz(m): 11:23pm On Sep 07, 2010
So i see these northern muslim security officers love siding with their muslim brothers. Who do think is going to believe that people came to a prison and over powered them. Im sure those security let them out. This stuff all ways happens around the ending of Ramadan. I smell a break up! grin
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Beaf: 11:37pm On Sep 07, 2010
chyz:

So i see these northern muslim security officers love siding with their muslim brothers. Who do think is going to believe that people came to a prison and over powered them. Im sure those security let them out. This stuff all ways happens around the ending of Ramadan. I smell a break up! grin

I wouldn't question the religion of the security officers, but what is certain is that an a security breach of incredible proportions; this was a jail break that released 700 prisoners!

Heads must roll.

Kilode?!:

They should have taken those Boko-Haram prisoners away from Northern Nigeria Prisons or at least away from the Borno-Bauchi area.

That makes a lot of sense. Since these sect have displayed a dangerous proclivity for violence and extremism, it would have been logical to jail them in states where there is no sympathy for either their behaviour or their sect.
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by chyz(m): 12:33am On Sep 08, 2010
Beaf:

I wouldn't question the religion of the security officers, but what is certain is that an a security breach of incredible proportions; this was a jail break that released 700 prisoners!

Heads must roll.

That makes a lot of sense. Since these sect have displayed a dangerous proclivity for violence and extremism, it would have been logical to jail them in states where there is no sympathy for either their behaviour or their sect.

Cant u imagine wat trouble is going to go on in nigeria?? This week ramadan is over, so the muslims are "allowed" to kill the non-believers where ever they may find them. 700 inmates are released(muslim militants, police from jos left to go to bauchi meaning the fulanis are going to try their best to kill as many beroms as possible and collect the land supported by the soldiers, in the U.S. this pastor guy may have a quran burning day thats going to definitely get ear to illiterates and the whole north will be in fames which will lead to repraisal attactks in the West and East. Nigeria is a failed useless state. angry cry
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by naijaking1: 12:46am On Sep 08, 2010
Kilode?!:

Good question. Why didn't somebody think about dispersing these criminals to all the prisons in the east and west. I'm sure that inside Abakiliki, Calabar, or Benin prisons they would have become ready wives to older and more hardened criminal who would have also converted them to a less violent, and more loving way of life.
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Kilode1: 12:56am On Sep 08, 2010
Beaf:

Exactly!

That will be the sensible thing to do IMO, that is what sensible prison/corrections administrators will do, but you know your country now. I tire.
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by koruji(m): 1:27am On Sep 08, 2010
If anyone is listening at all. This sporadic attacks appear to be strategies to get Nigeria security forces engaged. Something is just not right and the real targets may be different - all Nigerian security forces must be on alert. Jos, Abuja, all large cities and the other usual suspects need to be especially on red alert.

This is what happens when a country does things with almost complete reliance on hardware - hardware imported to the last pin at that. Where is the intelligence base for securing this country? Obviously driving away these attackers is not the end of the matter - we cannot sit and wait for what they will do next. Where is the domestic security network for nipping this kind of thing in the bud!

As the elections approach we can expect more of this, and President GEJ must be on top of the situation, otherwise these people will make nonsense of any plans - elections, electricity, etc.
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by PapaBrowne(m): 2:47am On Sep 08, 2010
^^^^
Strong point!! Exactly my thought!! Might really just be a distraction. I hope they are smart enough to get on top of it!!
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Beaf: 5:45am On Sep 08, 2010
The amount of damage the extremists could do to a govt owned prison is mind boggling.

[size=14pt]Boko Haram attacks Bauchi prison [/size]
September 8, 2010 04:38AM

Suspected members of the Islamic sect, Boko Haram, yesterday evening attacked the Bauchi central prison and set the place ablaze and freed members of the sect who were jailed there following last year’s unrest. Other prisoners were also reportedly released by the sect members.

The prison is close to the palace, and the emir of Bauchi, Muhammadu Rilwanu Suleyman Adamu, reportedly went into hiding shortly after the start of the exchange of gunfire between the assailants, men of the Nigeria police force and prison guards.

Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by EzeUche22(m): 5:48am On Sep 08, 2010
Could this be a response to Friday's Quran burning in Florida?

Remember what these people did during the Danish Cartoon episode.

We Southerners must put rivalry aside and prepare for the worse. If you have family up North, make sure you get in contact with them.
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by otokx(m): 11:05am On Sep 08, 2010
Really strange
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by olabukola: 11:49am On Sep 08, 2010
"One Nigeria"
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by ud4u: 1:26pm On Sep 08, 2010
This people case don tire me
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by agitator: 1:45pm On Sep 08, 2010
naijaking1:

Good question. Why didn't somebody think about dispersing these criminals to all the prisons in the east and west. I'm sure that inside Abakiliki, Calabar, or Benin prisons they would have become ready wives to older and more hardened criminal who would have also converted them to a less violent, and more loving way of life.

you too bad o  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 08, 2010
i think i might be in support of this florida pastor oh, i love playing the bad advocate, lol, naija , anything goes, i love this country,
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2010
in celebration of ramadan,
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by kufreabasi(m): 1:59pm On Sep 08, 2010
Is this how and what they want to use to end their ramadan or holy fasting?
what is and was their prayer and fasting for?
To waste souls or for what?
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by seanet02: 2:05pm On Sep 08, 2010
kufreabasi:

Is this how and what they want to use to end their ramadan or holy fasting?
what is and was their prayer and fasting for?
To waste souls or for what?
stop inciting violence, we the Real Muslims have already condemned what this radicals are doing, its against ISLAM because the meaning of ISLAM itself is PEACE
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by hercules07: 2:51pm On Sep 08, 2010
See bigotry of epic proportions on this thread, the people being killed by these boko harams are probably muslims as well, so will muslims support them?
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by bisiaet: 2:57pm On Sep 08, 2010
stop inciting violence, we the Real Muslims have already condemned what this radicals are doing, its against ISLAM because the meaning of ISLAM itself is PEACE  

Sorry this poster it really pissed me off when you people term this religion a peaceful religion please in your own record please can you provide the evidence of that peace in this religion in anywhere in the world please? I dislike this attitude of hide and pretending of you muslims sorry to use that statement any time your so called brother in Islam strike and unleash their evil blood sucking pride then some of you will come out and say oh we do condemn it please is condemnation a lip talk? So many of you in your closet still hailing Bin Laden, terrorist and the sorts of BokoGoat or whatever they called themselves?

Only lip condemnation or TV condemnation is that what you mean by condenm? Please just hold your peace to yourself and stop thinking you are trying to deceive anybody. I dont even know why they still kept those Bokogoat followres in thtat place and I am so sure it is the same people who claimed to be condeming it will tell the state government not to allow them to be move away from the stste. Rubbishhhhhh!!!!
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by jason12345: 3:30pm On Sep 08, 2010
EzeUche22:

Could this be a response to Friday's Quran burning in Florida?

Remember what these people did during the Danish Cartoon episode.

We Southerners must put rivalry aside and prepare for the worse. If you have family up North, make sure you get in contact with them.
yes some illiterates among them would start killing but not all Muslims are the same
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by jason12345: 3:35pm On Sep 08, 2010
bisiaet:

Sorry this poster it really pissed me off when you people term this religion a peaceful religion please in your own record please can you provide the evidence of that peace in this religion in anywhere in the world please? I dislike this attitude of hide and pretending of you muslims sorry to use that statement any time your so called brother in Islam strike and unleash their evil blood sucking pride then some of you will come out and say oh we do condemn it please is condemnation a lip talk? So many of you in your closet still hailing Bin Laden, terrorist and the sorts of BokoGoat or whatever they called themselves?

Only lip condemnation or TV condemnation is that what you mean by condenm? Please just hold your peace to yourself and stop thinking you are trying to deceive anybody. I dont even know why they still kept those Bokogoat followres in thtat place and I am so sure it is the same people who claimed to be condeming it will tell the state government not to allow them to be move away from the stste. Rubbishhhhhh!!!!

have u lived with a muslim before u judge or so called Christian that have a gay or pedos as there pastor or as there father, as am a christian
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by udezue(m): 4:16pm On Sep 08, 2010
overly violent creatures.
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by Parnassuss(m): 4:19pm On Sep 08, 2010
these guys are too serious, their remaining comrades should be dispersed to the 4 winds. Also Bauchi state should man up an do the difficult but necesarry thing, they are a menace to all.
And i retain my belief of ppl being only as bad as their environs, if some Naija Muslim dey act up, make we check wetin make them act up. Y Ghana muslims not do same, Togo, Benin to name a few. Its the region's Bleep-up thats telling on it so, no be say 'muslims be demons.'
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by MaiSuya(m): 4:26pm On Sep 08, 2010
You people seem to 4get that during the last crises, members of the sect actually [i]targeted [/i]muslims.
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by deebsman1(m): 5:09pm On Sep 08, 2010
Wondering y many folks on this Nairaland are choosing to damage the reputation of this gr8 website. Somebody sat down and thought of doing something creative, and he brought this gr8 website up, at least for the education of human folk, but many pple here are just bent on destroying the reputation by giving baseless analyses, replies, scamming schemes, etc. And many of them would be claiming as if they are the most knowledgeable human on earth. Why? Please whenever a sensitive issue lyk this is being discussed, lets always try to be truthfull wt whatever we're typing or posting or whatever. @topic, d Boko Haram movement is pure non-sense and bull sh*t, what they are doing is totally uncalled for, at all. Also, d movement may be a political movement trying to hide under the cover of religion to perpetrate their evils, we all know how things is always being done in 9ja now, at least many those pple they are killing are muslims. I also think they say the meaning of BOKO HARAM = WESTERN EDUCATION IS SIN, that just shows that, they are not true followers of the prophet (S.A.W), cos the prophet(S.A.W) said and urged his followers to seek for knowledge, even if they should go as far as china, which shows the importance of education in islam.
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by javalove(m): 5:19pm On Sep 08, 2010
bisiaet:

Where did you stop in school? This is about the worst and the most uninformed post I have ever read on NL.

I am a muslim and a proud one at that. We muslims are peace loving people. Stop blaming the ignorance and aggressiveness of a few on the wh9ole Muslims. . .stop it its not nice.

Why is the violence only erupting from the north all the time.? There about the same numbers of muslims on the South West as there are in the north, why dont we see the same kinds of violence erupting there?

It boils down to education. . .proper education of what the religion stands for and not swallowing whatever you are taught hook line and sinker. . .

I have lived in the north before leaving Nigeria. I understand how easy it is to spark up violence there because of lack of proper education and poverty.

I have very good christian and Muslim friends and I am cool with them all. . .

Condemnation? Of course every sensible muslim will dissociate him or herself from activities that involves taking of innocent lives, I condemn it wholeheartedly and i will speak against it if given the chance. What else do you want? And dont forget, some of these notherners are so ignorant that they can even kill me as a muslim because I am yoruba. . .so what does that tell you?

Let the education you have reflect in what your speeches. Let what you say be based on fact and figures and not just talking because you want to.

Islam is Peace. it is my Religion and I hope to die a Mumin. . .Insha Allah

So take muslims out of this. . .

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by onyengbu1(m): 6:25pm On Sep 08, 2010
[center][size=28pt]Quran Burning Day Attack Preparations have started.

Sensible christians should Vacate North Before the D-Day.

You are warned![/size][/center]
Re: Heavy Fighting - Islamist Sect Attacks Bauchi Prison by comechop(m): 7:08pm On Sep 08, 2010
javalove:

I am a muslim and a proud one at that. We muslims are peace loving people. Stop blaming the ignorance and aggressiveness of a few on the wh9ole Muslims. . .stop it its not nice.

Islam is Peace. it is my Religion and I hope to die a Mumin. . .Insha Allah

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Seriously, who are you deceiving? Nigerians may be stupid, but not that stupid dammit! lol
In all seriousness, Islam = violence veritat! Period!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo Declares: Jonathan Can’t Fight Corruption! / Somebody Should Get These Girls A Pedestrian Bridge / Breaking: A copy of The Document Tinubu Tried To Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.