Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

***Hair For African Women*** - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ***Hair For African Women*** (29763 Views)

15 Most Stylish Ghana Braids Ideas For African Women / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / African Women And Wigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 8:02am On Sep 08, 2010
Does our hair define who we are as women?  I have always had long glossy hair, the envy of many women as they think it is a weave, I have never put in a weave by the way, anyway, I cut my hair and people were really surprised, wanting to know "WHY".  Surely change is good for us all, a fresh start.  I am rocking a brush cut right now and shower time is the best time for me, no need to worry about a shower cap or the right shampoo!

Please share your views, would you ever cut your hair, if not why?  Are you more comfortable in weaves and hair extensions than your own hair, short or long?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 8:16am On Sep 08, 2010
SA Goddess:

Please share your views, would you ever cut your hair, if not why? Are you more comfortable in weaves and hair extensions than your own hair, short or long?

I've been cogitating over getting a  "Buzz" cut, it shouldn't be a big deal but for some reason I'm torn (that's why I used that word embarassed).

Maybe I'll finally pluck up the nerve this weekend undecided.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 8:26am On Sep 08, 2010
I cut my hair for the first time in 9 years last year and it felt good, breezy and all. I had to get used to "the new me", I kept it at brush cut for a couple of months then grew it but didn't use any chemicals. I fell "victim" again to chemicals when it grew longer because my hair is unmanageable at its natural state. . . . . . . . . anyway, for the winter, I had braids on but on Saturday, my hairdresser messed me around and I decided right there and then I was cutting it again, been really short for a week now and I love it, fresh for the summer.

Are there softners I could use if I decided to keep it natural for a long while?

Be brave Madlady, go for it girl. . . . . . .
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Sissy3(f): 8:49am On Sep 08, 2010
sadly, most people both genders inclusive believes that hair in some kind of way dodefine a womans beauty, in particular long hair. so its not surprising that most people were shocked that you cut your hair. i certainly do heavily disagree however. there are some women that can most definitely rock short cuts. it fits their face and brings out their best facial structures and vice versa with long hair

i have a long hair myself as well and inasmuch as i sometimes eye cute/gorgeous short hairstyles that instantly sends me to cloud10, i havent developed enough liver or kidney to have any sharp scissor around my hair. and everyone will certainly "sue" me for tampering with that hair.

i am more comfortable in my own hair.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 9:12am On Sep 08, 2010
SA Goddess:

I cut my hair for the first time in 9 years last year and it felt good, breezy and all. I had to get used to "the new me", I kept it at brush cut for a couple of months then grew it but didn't use any chemicals. I fell "victim" again to chemicals when it grew longer because my hair is unmanageable at its natural state. . . . . . . . . anyway, for the winter, I had braids on but on Saturday, my hairdresser messed me around and I decided right there and then I was cutting it again, been really short for a week now and I love it, fresh for the summer.

Are there softners I could use if I decided to keep it natural for a long while?

I'm tall and I have a bit of a bucky so really not sure if it will suit me.

What's a "brush cut"?

SA Goddess have you tried this product, my mum uses it.

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:25am On Sep 08, 2010
@ Sissy, I guess as we grow older, we define who we are and cutting our hair or going natural says "I am who I am, with or without my hair" I am just so content right now, whether people think short hair does not suit me or not does not bother me, I am happy with me.

@ Madlady, brush cut is the really short boy cut, the kind you just run clippers through the hair, almost bald! I am going to try upload a pic so you can see it!

I am in SA, is this product easily available at Naija shops all over?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:37am On Sep 08, 2010
Picture not very clear but will take a picture in a bit,
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 9:54am On Sep 08, 2010
^^^OK.

That product been around for years, it's sold in all the shops in most black areas hear in the UK.

Paltas seems to be discussed lots on the net, maybe someone in Nigeria will tell you if it's available in Nigeria.

By the way, you can't use heated appliances when you use it, it makes your  hair sizzle if you do.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:58am On Sep 08, 2010
madlady:

^^^OK.

That product been around for years, it's sold in all the shops in most black areas hear in the UK.

Paltas seems to be discussed lots on the net, maybe someone in Nigeria will tell you if it's available in Nigeria.

By the way, you can't use heated appliances when you use it, it makes your hair sizzle if you do.

Thanks girl, all I plan to do to my hair is wash and twist once long enough, but no permanent twist, I would like to have the option to braid it when I want a different style!

I will google the product shortly!

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 6:50am On Sep 09, 2010
SA Goddess:

Does our hair define who we are as women?  I have always had long glossy hair, the envy of many women as they think it is a weave, I have never put in a weave by the way, anyway, I cut my hair and people were really surprised, wanting to know "WHY".  Surely change is good for us all, a fresh start.  I am rocking a brush cut right now and shower time is the best time for me, no need to worry about a shower cap or the right shampoo!

Please share your views, would you ever cut your hair, if not why?  Are you more comfortable in weaves and hair extensions than your own hair, short or long?

Yes, I would cut my hair. I've done it before. About 2 ½ years ago, I cut all of my shoulder length hair off. It was a wonderful feeling because everyone was so used to me having shoulder length hair. I have natural unrelaxed/unpermed natural hair. In about a week and a half. I'll be cutting my hair again. I look forward to it. I've already made an appointment at a natural hair salon. I've never had a weave either. The idea of sewing, gluing, or bonding any type of artificial hair to my head is quite mind boggling. I never really understood why women [and some men] do it. Hehehe, I guess the way I look at weave is the same way that relaxed and weaved women look at me and my natural hair. I'm comfortable having my hair short or long. Either way is fine for me.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:56am On Sep 09, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Yes, I would cut my hair. I've done it before. About 2 ½ years ago, I cut all of my shoulder length hair off. It was a wonderful feeling because everyone was so used to me having shoulder length hair. I have natural unrelaxed/unpermed natural hair. In about a week and a half. I'll be cutting my hair again. I look forward to it. I've already made an appointment at a natural hair salon. I've never had a weave either. The idea of sewing, gluing, or bonding any type of artificial hair to my head is quite mind boggling. I never really understood why women [and some men] do it. Hehehe, I guess the way I look at weave is the same way that relaxed and weaved women look at men and my natural hair. I'm comfortable having my hair short or long. Either way is fine for me.

I am sure weaves and the likes work for people. . . . . . . . .I personally could never understand how one puts something on them that is so far from self, but hey, whatever blows their WEAVE back cheesy

I like being real both internally and externally, it's worked for me so far!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 8:16am On Sep 09, 2010
SA Goddess:

I am sure weaves and the likes work for people. . . . . . . . .I personally could never understand how one puts something on them that is so far from self, but hey, whatever blows their WEAVE back  cheesy

I like being real both internally and externally, it's worked for me so far!

Same here. Besides, I don't know how to take care of relaxed and weaved hair. The whole thing is just mind boggling.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 10:55am On Sep 09, 2010
Mine has been relaxed but it is a mission to keep it looking good so I usually braid it. . . . . . this time around, I want to stay away from chemicals. . . . . . .
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:35am On Sep 09, 2010
SA Goddess:

Mine has been relaxed but it is a mission to keep it looking good so I usually braid it. . . . . . this time around, I want to stay away from chemicals. . . . . . .

Good for you wink. I'm more into using natural methods of caring for my hair. For example, I don't use shampoo or conditioner and I make my own hair styling products. To wash my hair, I use black soap or castile soap. Then to condition, I use avocado and honey or extra virgin olive oil. For moisturizer, I use shea butter, and for styling it varies depending on what I want do with my hair. All in all, I try to keep it as natural and as simple as possible. It a lot cheaper and healthier than buying products that are loaded with tons of chemicals.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 1:46pm On Sep 09, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Good for you wink. I'm more into using natural methods of caring for my hair. For example, I don't use shampoo or conditioner and I make my own hair styling products. To wash my hair, I use black soap or castile soap. Then to condition, I use avocado and honey or extra virgin olive oil. For moisturizer, I use shea butter, and for styling it varies depending on what I want do with my hair. All in all, I try to keep it as natural and as simple as possible. It a lot cheaper and healthier than buying products that are loaded with tons of chemicals.

Thanks girl, I am taking notes about caring for my natural hair, I need to stick with it this time!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 3:59pm On Sep 09, 2010
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by naijadiva2(f): 8:50pm On Sep 10, 2010
cool! another thread I like about hair, lol. Anyhoo, I'm natural too and i've tried using natural alternatives to care for my hair but it was costing me a lot so i went back to commercial products. I think my hair felt better when i used natural products so i might go back to it in the future.

Im rocking a full weave at the moment but im taking this mess out tonight because it itches like crazy and i dont feel comfortable with it. this was my first time sporting a full weave and i guess i wanted to see what was so great about them, but i don't like it. so yea, giong back to rocking my hair. cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 8:26pm On Sep 11, 2010
SA Goddess:

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed Lost my nerve (my forehead)
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2010
madlady:

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed Lost my nerve (my forehead)

What do you mean, did you not go ahead with it?

@ naija _diva - how long have you had your natural hair for? What do you do to it, plait or do you wear it as is most times? I am trying to get ideas so I know what I can do with mine but I must say it is not the softest, it will be nice when it's grown but I don't know how I am going to get through the next couple of months. . . . .I want to go natural with all my heart so all suggestions are welcome! THis is a journey for me!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 13, 2010
Me too im in a dilemma at the moment. I havnt put any chemical in my hair for 1year and 6months. I have just been braiding it to grow out the relaxer. But I want a clean slate and just want to cut it all off but my family is telling me not to because hair makes a woman. Hmmmm.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 3:27pm On Sep 13, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Me too im in a dilemma at the moment. I havnt put any chemical in my hair for 1year and 6months. I have just been braiding it to grow out the relaxer. But I want a clean slate and just want to cut it all off but my family is telling me not to because hair makes a woman. Hmmmm.

A lot of people believe hair makes the woman and I refuse to believe that, my mother is not too thrilled with my very short hair but hey, I am the one who has to live with me and my hair, she will live! wink I must say the clean shave and brush cut is liberating, shower time being the best time! cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 3:28pm On Sep 13, 2010
SA Goddess:

What do you mean, did you not go ahead with it?

No just left  it the same as normal, cane rowed front and sides and loose from the middle.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 3:39pm On Sep 13, 2010
madlady:

No just left it the same as normal, cane rowed front and sides and loose from the middle.

Cool, so what do you do to the middle then? Just trying to picture what you have described above!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 3:49pm On Sep 13, 2010
^^^Loose at the at the back, sometimes I ease out my hair with a electric comb.

I will show u when/if its less busy.

I wanted to get it processed but the hairdresser would not do it.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by oluite(f): 3:51pm On Sep 13, 2010
I cut my hair some years back.it was really low,i had baby curls on it n i loved it but oh nobody else did cos they couldnt get how i cud cut my very long hair!!!i soon got tired of my low hairdo cos i was in d salon evry wekend to cut my hair n redo d baby curls.maybe if i had left it natural i wont av grown so tired so quickly.my hair grows fast.I av allowed my hair to grow back again as i find it easier to manage.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 3:54pm On Sep 13, 2010
madlady:

^^^Loose at the at the back, sometimes I ease out my hair with a electric comb.

I will show u when/if its less busy.

I wanted to get it processed but the hairdresser would not do it.

Sure, would love to see what you got.

@oluite
Did you go back to relaxing then? I am trying to get away from that, my hair also grows fast but I want a different look now, I guess it would have been better to let the relaxer grow out but with the knots I had after taking out braids, I was not prepared to go through the pain while getting my hair damaged at the same time!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 4:00pm On Sep 13, 2010
Oh, Madlady, I also owe you a pic of my short hair cut. . . wink
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2010
SA Goddess, is that your baby?

So beautiful.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 4:03pm On Sep 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

SA Goddess, is that your baby?

So beautiful.

Thanks girl, that's my baby. . . .he is a little grown now, he is 3.5 years old now so I guess he is not a baby anymore!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 13, 2010
SA Goddess:

A lot of people believe hair makes the woman and I refuse to believe that, my mother is not too thrilled with my very short hair but hey, I am the one who has to live with me and my hair, she will live! wink I must say the clean shave and brush cut is liberating, shower time being the best time! cheesy
Yes o! My mum said she would disown me if I cut my hair grin grin grin Anyway I want to cut it jare so that I can just wash my hair everyday. So how do you dress the low cut up? do you wear makeup and big earrings? I dont wear makeup and wear stud earrings so with a low cut im thinking that will not be a good look grin grin grin

Oh and your baby is cute by the way smiley smiley
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by chika98: 6:19pm On Sep 13, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Yes o! My mum said she would disown me if I cut my hair grin grin grin Anyway I want to cut it jare so that I can just wash my hair everyday. So how do you dress the low cut up? do you wear makeup and big earrings? I dont wear makeup and wear stud earrings so with a low cut im thinking that will not be a good look grin grin grin

Oh and your baby is cute by the way smiley smiley

Cut your hair and do a "punk" fro on it. LOL
Rock it well and watch everyone want one too. I will cut my hair but not right now. . . . When I get a bit older I reckon cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Hauwa1: 7:18pm On Sep 13, 2010
Shaved my hair last week. i don't have 200 dollars for or even 40 bucks for hair
i feel good. i just love the way it feels when showering grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photos From MBGN 2014 / Ladies, What Is Your Ideal Heel Height? / Funke Akindele (Jenifa) Makes A Colorful Fashion Statement [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.