Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

***Hair For African Women*** - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ***Hair For African Women*** (29754 Views)

15 Most Stylish Ghana Braids Ideas For African Women / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / African Women And Wigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 11:57am On Nov 05, 2010
Second wash Madlady? Do you take two washes everytime? I use aquous cream on my son when he washes, no soap because he had eczema when he was younger. . . . .still use it to this day and his skin is so smooth and soft, I can imagine your skin being as soft at a baby's bottom cheesy I use Dove Moisturising Bar for my skin and it works great.

My hair is still growing nicely, it is going to be thick, I can see it. I was thinking the other day how my sculp is so clean as there is no dandruff, if nothing else, the clean sculp should keep me away from chemicals for a long time, if not for life!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 4:43pm On Nov 05, 2010
SA Goddess:

Second wash Madlady? Do you take two washes everytime? I use aquous cream on my son when he washes, no soap because he had eczema when he was younger. . . . .still use it to this day and his skin is so smooth and soft, I can imagine your skin being as soft at a baby's bottom cheesy I use Dove Moisturising Bar for my skin and it works great.

My hair is still growing nicely, it is going to be thick, I can see it. I was thinking the other day how my sculp is so clean as there is no dandruff, if nothing else, the clean sculp should keep me away from chemicals for a long time, if not for life!

Yes, twice a day embarassed . The Shea butter quite greasy so I feel the need to use something that suds before I use that.
Dove, I could try that. You used aqueous cream for your baby that's very good, I think you get that on Prescription here. smiley

Yes you must have a lot of growth by now, what style are you wearing?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:30am On Nov 08, 2010
madlady:

Yes, twice a day embarassed . The Shea butter quite greasy so I feel the need to use something that suds before I use that.
Dove, I could try that. You used aqueous cream for your baby that's very good, I think you get that on Prescription here. smiley

Yes you must have a lot of growth by now, what style are you wearing?

Oh, I get you now, one wash in the morning and another in the evening? I also take two showers a day, nothing beats that just showered freshness. Yeah, I use aqueous cream on my baby to wash his delicate skin and it works wonders. . . . . . . . and Dove Cream Bar for me, nothing else is good enough, love me my Dove!

My growth is only two and a half months old so still not long enough to plait but it's grown and is getting quite thick. I still brush and press it down during the week but on weekends I rock the rough look and make up my face nicely, I will give it another month and should start braiding afterwards cheesy I am also going to start with the oil treatments as my hair is not the soft kind, oil treatments should soften it a bit!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 9:57am On Nov 08, 2010
SA Goddess:

Oh, I get you now, one wash in the morning and another in the evening? I also take two showers a day, nothing beats that just showered freshness. Yeah, I use aqueous cream on my baby to wash his delicate skin and it works wonders. . . . . . . . and Dove Cream Bar for me, nothing else is good enough, love me my Dove!

My growth is only two and a half months old so still not long enough to plait but it's grown and is getting quite thick. I still brush and press it down during the week but on weekends I rock the rough look and make up my face nicely, I will give it another month and should start braiding afterwards cheesy I am also going to start with the oil treatments as my hair is not the soft kind, oil treatments should soften it a bit!

Let me reply quickly before I leave, twice in the morning and twice before bed. The Shea butter does not sud so I shower with ulay shower wash then bath with the Shea butter embarassed.

I have given up pressing my hair with electric hot comb, it and canerowing gave me split ends.

Oil treatments are very good, get a heat cap, they make the oil treatments more effective.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 10:15am On Nov 08, 2010
madlady:

Let me reply quickly before I leave, twice in the morning and twice before bed. The Shea butter does not sud so I shower with ulay shower wash then bath with the Shea butter embarassed.

I have given up pressing my hair with electric hot comb, it and canerowing gave me split ends.

Oil treatments are very good, get a heat cap, they make the oil treatments more effective.

I see re: second wash, it sure took me long enough cheesy

Mine I press down with the hand after brushing just so it looks neat and not too "grown" (long)

I am definitely getting the heat cap, my hair is not soft so this should help a great deal, thanks for the tip!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 4:36pm On Nov 08, 2010
My hair is 4 months old since I chopped it and last week I was able to braid it. i do miss pouring water on my head everyday sad but I love the different look. the ladies who braided my hair were surprised at how soft it was. At a point the extension was falling off cos the hair was so soft embarassed I'm looking forward to how much the hair will grow when I take the extensions out cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 4:03am On Nov 09, 2010
SA Goddess:

I see re: second wash, it sure took me long enough cheesy

Mine I press down with the hand after brushing just so it looks neat and not too "grown" (long)

I am definitely getting the heat cap, my hair is not soft so this should help a great deal, thanks for the tip!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin to your first comment.

We call that patting down. So you don't use a HOT COMB, they can be ok if used with the correct products.

Are you going to plait ? do you ever thread your hair?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:08am On Nov 09, 2010
Ejadamen:

My hair is 4 months old since I chopped it and last week I was able to braid it. i do miss pouring water on my head everyday sad but I love the different look. the ladies who braided my hair were surprised at how soft it was. At a point the extension was falling off cos the hair was so soft embarassed I'm looking forward to how much the hair will grow when I take the extensions out cheesy

I hope I can braid/plait at four months, I so look forward to that. . . . . I am almost certain your hair will have grown when you take out the braids!

madlady:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin to your first comment.

We call that patting down. So you don't use a HOT COMB, they can be ok if used with the correct products.

Are you going to plait ? do you ever thread your hair?

Yes, patting down it is actually, NO hot comb for my hair and the only heat to come close to my hair will be when I go under the dryer when I do treatment at the salon, I will start blow-drying it when it is long, not now. Yeah I am going to plait as soon as I can, looking forward to it, I like cornrows with or without hair extensions.

What's threading? Maybe I know it but call it something else. . . . . .
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 8:36am On Nov 09, 2010
SA Goddess:

I hope I can braid/plait at four months, I so look forward to that. . . . . I am almost certain your hair will have grown when you take out the braids!

Yes, patting down it is actually, NO hot comb for my hair and the only heat to come close to my hair will be when I go under the dryer when I do treatment at the salon, I will start blow-drying it when it is long, not now. Yeah I am going to plait as soon as I can, looking forward to it, I like cornrows with or without hair extensions.

What's threading? Maybe I know it but call it something else. . . . . .

I've avoided the hot comb for some time, sadly I will have to do it for 2 occasions coming up. angry

I'm sure threading goes by other the names. My sis-in-law laughs when I ask her to get her hair done in that style when she goes home to Nigeria. She said that style went out in the dark ages. I heard that threading made your hair grow quickly. I love it, it looks like ART.

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 8:46am On Nov 09, 2010
madlady:

I've avoided the hot comb for some time, sadly I will have to do it for 2 occasions coming up. angry

I'm sure threading goes by other the names. My sis-in-law laughs when I ask her to get her hair done in that style when she goes home to Nigeria. She said that style went out in the dark ages. I heard that threading made your hair grow quickly. I love it, it looks like ART.

3 pictures showing very basic threading styles.

I see now, LOL, it sure looks like stone age art cheesy cheesy cheesy Is it done with hair extentions/fibre?

Uh, hot combing your hair for two occasions should not damage it, I really don't think it will! I am going back to my home country (Lesotho) for the Christmas holidays, getting hair done is cheaper there and artistic, can't wait! cool
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 9:07am On Nov 09, 2010
^^^

I couldn't find any modern threading styles, but I really have seen a few very young girls (6years old or so) sporting that style here in the UK. It's done with shiny thread, I think

What do those artistic  SA styles look like? you've really got me interested cool cool cool
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:13am On Nov 09, 2010
Yeah, I am sure there are modern styles but at least I got the idea of what threading is. . . . . . .

I will see if I can find pictures to post on here re: styles!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by oluite(f): 1:50pm On Nov 09, 2010
A more modern way of doing the threading is to use wool(yes knitting thread).Its very popular in Nigeria with brown and black thread colour a favourite for most girls.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 2:24pm On Nov 09, 2010
oluite:

A more modern way of doing the threading is to use wool(yes knitting thread).Its very popular in Nigeria with brown and black thread colour a favourite for most girls.

Cool, my previous nanny used to do my hair like that too but only use black wool, it's a very pre-teen way of getting the hair done but I loved it, soon some people at work started doing it too!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 4:57am On Nov 10, 2010
Guess what guys?!?! I FINALLY cut my hair grin. Omg, it feels soooooo good but the cold is kickin' my a** with this short cut. I'm so happy I did it. I bought  some castor oil on Monday so I'm gonna be be using that and a glycerin spray/spritz I made to moisturize my hair. I have a really nice shea hair butter here in my house. Can't wait to start using it. It feels so good when I take a shower and feel the warm water on my head. I went to visit my former high school teacher today [who by the way happens to be white] and when I showed him my haircut, he was shocked and thrilled. Lmao, everyone else thought it was cool and was totally shocked. The funny thing about the whole thing was that everyone looked shocked but then they'd say "Oh, your crazy anyway so I'm not surprised you'd do something like that", they're faces were saying otherwise though grin. Doing the BC a second time around feels nice.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 5:07am On Nov 10, 2010
^^
Sounds great.

Have you kept the natural colour or did you henna ?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 6:38am On Nov 10, 2010
Nope, I haven't hennaed it yet. I wanna buy the henna when I go to Little India and right now I don't feel like trekking all the way to Manhattan just to buy some henna. At the moment its the cold/laziness that's keeping me from going. I've been wanting to pick up some Chandrika Ayurvedic bath soap. Anyway, I'll wait till it grows a bit more before I try anything with henna or cassia. I'm soooo happy right now grin. I couldn't stop grinning when I saw myself in the mirror.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:10am On Nov 10, 2010
The head even feels lighter when the hair is cut, shower time being the best time cheesy "wrong" time to cut it Nerd with all that bone-chilling cold and snow over there wink Americans don't seem to like short hair very much, remember the noise made when Solange cut her's!!!

Nice that you are enjoying it Nerdy girl! cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 8:13am On Nov 10, 2010
SA Goddess:

The head even feels lighter when the hair is cut, shower time being the best time  cheesy  "wrong" time to cut it Nerd with all that bone-chilling cold and snow over there  wink  Americans don't seem to like short hair very much, remember the noise made when Solange cut her's!!!

Nice that you are enjoying it Nerdy girl!  cheesy

Your are so right, it does feel lighter. lol, I know I picked a bad time. I actually just took a shower a few minutes ago and I'm one of those people who likes to apply products while my hair is still wet so I'm really feelin' it right now cry. I have a feeling that hats are gonna be my BFF this winter. I never used to wear hats since my hair provided all the insulation I needed but now that its short I need to invest in some cute hats. Hehehe, just another excuse to go on a mini shopping spree grin. lol, I remember the whole Solange thing. It was ridiculous how people were bad mouthing the poor girl. I found it interest in how a lot of them didn't even realize she had been natural for years. Anyway, she looks fierce. She's really starting to make a name for herself in the fashion scene. At least now people don't know her as "the other Knowles". Oh and by the way, here's links you might wanna check out for styling and caring for short hair >>> http://bglhonline.com/gallery-2/short-and-chic/ , http://bglhonline.com/ , and http://www.curlynikki.com/search/label/TWA%20Styles , http://cocoandcreme.com/tag/natural/ ,
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 8:46am On Nov 10, 2010
Hats are definitely going to be your BFF this winter but by next Spring, your hair will have grown nicely, enjoy the mini shopping spree for cute hats girl cheesy

Solange - I thought America was rather fickle giving the poor girl lip for cutting her hair and being different, I guess everyone wants to look like everybody with weaves, fake nails, eye lashes and fake bodies wink Is she in fashion too, I know she is djaying now and she looks like she enjoys it a great deal, good for her to be her own person instead of being Boyonce's little sister!

OMW Nerd, I checked out the website but will read nicely in a moment, I love it, glad to see most people are starting to look inwards for beauty as opposed to thinking hair makes the woman and the straighter the better, black women finally don't have to look up to Europeans women as the standard for beauty cool cool cool
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:14am On Nov 10, 2010
Yeah, she DJays as well but lately she's been making a name for herself with her sense of fashion and occasional modeling gigs. I usually find a lot of helpful info on the sites posted. lol, ya ever realize that Black men have hair issues as well? I have a Ghanaian friend who wants to grow locs and every time I see him, I always run my hands through his hair. He hasn't loc'ed them and isn't quite sure when he'll loc it but there's just something about seeing and feeling his hair in its natural state that makes me wanna touch his hair. lol, he never seems to touch my hair though since a lot of Black men think that women don't to have their hair touched [even though a lot don't actually like it]. I have another friend who had waist length curly locs and my hands are always in his hair when I see him. We could just be watching tv and I'll randomly start touching his hair. Hehehe, its nice having mutual understanding with natural haired men.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by bkbabe97y(m): 10:21am On Nov 11, 2010
^^^U wanna touch my hair?! No, not that one. I meant the one just below my waist!^^^
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 10:37am On Nov 11, 2010
Not a pretty thing to imagine, do you not trim down there? shocked
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:35pm On Nov 11, 2010
bk.babe97y:

^^^U wanna touch my hair?! No, not that one. I meant the one just below my waist!^^^

Lmao, I don't mind touching your hair [on your head] but I'm not touching the one "down there" wink.

SA Goddess:

Not a pretty thing to imagine, do you not trim down there?  shocked

Hehehe, don't mind him. He wants me to touch him by any means necessary.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:26am On Nov 12, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Lmao, I don't mind touching your hair [on your head] but I'm not touching the one "down there" wink.

Hehehe, don't mind him. He wants me to touch him by any means necessary.

I had visions of a small patch of Amazon, not a nice thought grin grin grin grin
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 7:47am On Nov 12, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Nope, I haven't hennaed it yet. I wanna buy the henna when I go to Little India and right now I don't feel like trekking all the way to Manhattan just to buy some henna. At the moment its the cold/laziness that's keeping me from going. I've been wanting to pick up some Chandrika Ayurvedic bath soap. Anyway, I'll wait till it grows a bit more before I try anything with henna or cassia. I'm soooo happy right now grin. I couldn't stop grinning when I saw myself in the mirror.

@Inked_Nerd that sounds very cool, is it better than SHEA BUTTER. Your a mine of information. cool cool cool

@SA Goddess wink you said you blow dry, does it last longer than using the electric comb?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:07am On Nov 12, 2010
I don't blow dry hun, I think I said I will only blow dry when my hair is longer (when braiding/plaiting). My hair is still too short for blow drying girl. . . . . . .
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 9:25am On Nov 12, 2010
^^
I love the way you reply, you always make me smile. wink

I know your "growing it" cool term.
When you did blow, how long did it last? I've had it done ONCE about 10 years ago, my head felt very sore, that's why I use the really old method of "electric comb". I also do it myself so it's free.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 9:32am On Nov 12, 2010
madlady:

^^
I[i] love the way you reply, you always make smile[/i]. wink

I know your "growing it" cool term.
When you did blow, how long did it last? I've had it done ONCE about 10 years ago, my head felt very sore, that's why I use the really old method of "electric comb". I also do it myself so it's free.

Thanks girl cheesy

I used to blow dry it once a week (washed it every week so had to blow dry every time) when I had chemically processesed hair, now I put on moisturiser and comb while still wet, easier that way for now!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 9:42am On Nov 12, 2010
C your cheesy face  grin

Ok last questions. Did the blow out last the week? did it revert? I am thinking of spending the money to get it done  for those 2 dos coming up. It costs £45 for a wash and blow dry (local) so if it wont last  long, I would rather save the money.

Most of my friends have braids so don't blow dry.

This darn tiny notebook, the keys are too small. embarassed
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 10:04am On Nov 12, 2010
madlady:

@Inked_Nerd that sounds very cool, is it better than SHEA BUTTER. Your a mine of information. cool cool cool

@SA Goddess wink you said you blow dry, does it last longer than using the electric comb?

Hmmm, well shea butter is primarily for moisturizing. . . Hmmm, do you use shea butter to wash your hair? The Chandrika soap can be used on hair [I think]. If you really wanna try some ayurvedic soap for hair then you might wanna consider Shikakai shampoo soap. I think you might like that. It lathers very well, strengthens hair, and promoted hair growth. You can find these products at your local Indian beauty supply store. I'll try to make a stop off in one of the Indian stores in Manhattan so I can stock up on some that way I won't have to go back there unless I really need something. Doing the BC the second time around made me realize that I really don't need a lot of things to care and style my hair. Next week, I'll be making some flax seed hair gel. I've already got the seeds and other ingredients so all I need to do is buy some more essential oils and then I'm good to go. I recently found out about a supposed "natural"/ "organic" hair gel that has some nice ingredients in it. Normally, I'm not a product junkie but I'm willing to give this one a try. Its called African Formula Super Grow Hair Gel. The name alone kinda sounds kinda dodgy. Anyway, I'll give it a go and see how it goes.  

SA Goddess:

I had visions of a small patch of Amazon, not a nice thought  grin  grin  grin  grin

Lmao, oh Lord!!! Can't wait to see what bk.babe97y says when he sees this grin.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 10:13am On Nov 12, 2010
madlady:

C your cheesy face grin

Ok last questions. Did the blow out last the week? did it revert? I am thinking of spending the money to get it done for those 2 dos coming up. It costs £45 for a wash and blow dry (local) so if it wont last lomg, I would rather save the money.

Most of my friends have braids so don't blow dry.

This darn tiny notebook, the keys are too small. embarassed

I see that cheesy face, I thought the same when I replied there cheesy cheesy cheesy

I did blow out to soften the hair a bit but would still wash it every second day so you wouldn't even see I had done blow out. Blow drying I would do after washing my hair so it did not break or was tangled, it worked nicely. Good grief, 45 pounds is a lot of money to pay just for a wash a blow dry, what are those people smoking! shocked shocked

"This darn tiny notebook, the keys are too small. embarassed - I hardly ever visit NL when I am away from my PC, it becomes a nightmare!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ladies, What Is Your Ideal Heel Height? / Photos From MBGN 2014 / Funke Akindele (Jenifa) Makes A Colorful Fashion Statement [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.