Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

***Hair For African Women*** - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ***Hair For African Women*** (29764 Views)

15 Most Stylish Ghana Braids Ideas For African Women / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / African Women And Wigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 5:00pm On Oct 22, 2010
lol it takes some people longer to jump on the natural bandwagon. Anyway, what matters is tat your ear now. Ok, have a wonderful weekend cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 9:08am On Oct 23, 2010
SA Goddess:

YEP, soon migrating from brush to comb  cheesy

I am definitely going to start co washing then, thanks for the tip  I can imagine it being soft and moisturised nicely. . . . . . how often do you wash your hair then? 
I try to co-wash my hair 3 times a week but most times I end up co-washing it twice a week. I shampoo my hair once a month.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:14am On Oct 23, 2010
Ejadamen:

I try to wash my hair 3 times a week but most times I end up washing it twice a week.

Do you co-wash or use the 'no poo method'?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 9:21am On Oct 23, 2010
@Inked I just modified my message. What do you mean by no-poo. Read my modified message and if doesn't answer your question then ask again.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:12am On Oct 23, 2010
Ejadamen:

@Inked I just modified my message. What do you mean by no-poo. Read my modified message and if doesn't answer your question then ask again.

Ok, it clarified my question. No poo as in no shampoo.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 11:47am On Oct 23, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Ok, it clarified my question. No poo as in no shampoo.

Ah!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by kieryn(f): 9:45pm On Oct 24, 2010
I have been natural for about five years. When I was transitioning I braided my hair until all the relaxer came out. It has been nothing but trails and tribulations. My hair is shoulder length and very coarse and curly. So coarse and curly that when I wash it shrinks half its length. On the other hand, i would say my hair is a lot healthier but i just don't know what to do with. I am also the kind of person that doesn't like to do hair. I wish my hair was effortless. Tried twisting it but doesn't fit my face. When I unravel it it was so beautiful, but the style only lasted a day. So the only styles options I have is braiding. I occasionally press it to straighten it but bc heat and humidity the style doesn't last long. I recently had my first sew-in, love it. It gave my hair a chance to rest and think it will be my new choice of hair style. As far as cutting my hair, I don't think so. You got to have the face to rock a very short cut and i just don't have it.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Bella87(f): 8:30am On Oct 25, 2010
I did my BC 7 months ago (I cut off all my hair! no transition), I guess I kinda looked like a boy for a while  grin
Well, apart from my mum asking when I'm gonna get my hair "done" everytime she sees me, I'm loving my hair. It has been growing pretty good smiley can't stop touching it. I'm currently rocking a twist-out frohawk, my signature style.

PS: Youtube helps alot!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 8:53am On Oct 25, 2010
Bella87:

I did my BC 7 months ago (I cut off all my hair! no transition), I guess I kinda looked like a boy for a while grin
Well, apart from my mum asking when I'm gonna get my hair "done" everytime she sees me, I'm loving my hair. It has been growing pretty good smiley can't stop touching it. I'm currently rocking a twist-out frohawk, my signature style.

PS: Youtube helps alot!

Our mothers just don't get it, mine said I should grow my hair as I looked like my father cheesy hello, he is MY father. .

Rock on girl, I am loving not having to put chemicals in my hair, my sculp is clean and fresh at all times!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Bella87(f): 10:27am On Oct 26, 2010
lol, yeah they need to start seeing things more clearly

Me too! my scalp is so clean and fresh now, I used to have dandruff problem but ever since I went natural it's been history, I'm sure the fact that I now use only natural products helped alot.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 10:44am On Oct 26, 2010
I also had a dandruff problem and no amount of treatment would help the situation and now my sculp is clean, those relaxers/chemicals are bad for real.

I just need some inspiration to get through this not so nice stage of my journey, I am beginning to look like a village girl, hair not long enough for plaiting/braiding and not short enough to look cute cheesy I use the scrubbing brush to "comb" it but even that is not going according to plan, it's better on weekends because I don't have to comb but can do rough and still look good! Can't wait to get past this stage but I will be patient!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Bella87(f): 12:01pm On Oct 26, 2010
aww the TWA stage, my hair was wayyy easier to take care of at that stage but didn't have much styling options . . . Now as for u "thinking" u look like a village girl (lol grin I went through that), lipgloss & medium to large earrings (and other accesories) should be your best friends, trust me !!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 12:26pm On Oct 26, 2010
My studs are not helping the situation either cheesy cheesy cheesy but I will look into investing in more girly earrings, got gloss so will make sure I look cute. . . . . .I also had an aha moment earlier, I can invest in head scarves also cheesy I got one already and these are going to be my best buddies from now until my hair is at a decent length to play with.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 4:19pm On Oct 26, 2010
Bella87:

lol, yeah they need to start seeing things more clearly

Me too! my scalp is so clean and fresh now, I used to have dandruff problem but ever since I went natural it's been history, I'm sure the fact that I now use only natural products helped a lot.
I'm curious,what natural products?

SA Goddess:

I also had a dandruff problem and no amount of treatment would help the situation and now my sculp is clean, those relaxers/chemicals are bad for real.

I just need some inspiration to get through this not so nice stage of my journey, I am beginning to look like a village girl, hair not long enough for plaiting/braiding and not short enough to look cute cheesy I use the scrubbing brush to "comb" it but even that is not going according to plan, it's better on weekends because I don't have to comb but can do rough and still look good! Can't wait to get past this stage but I will be patient!
You're funny. Try to enjoy this stage cos when the hair gets longer,you'll remember this stage wistfully. I'm loving every part of my hair growth. I just ignore the stares and move on.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by hairqueen: 4:34am On Oct 27, 2010
Great topic, Please can you explain why Hair Loss, Pain, And Hair Thinning Are Abnormal When Removing Braids, Hair Extensions, Or Weave-ons

The cost for looking good can vary depending on each women’s tastes and status; however as of recent thin hair and loss of natural hair has become the price many women are paying to “look good”.

So many women are settling for pain, thin hair and even bald spots when removing bonding glue or braids. It is unacceptable. It is unhealthy to loose hair when removing these hair styles, but so many women feel it is a sacrifice they must pay.

There is a product people use to remove these dreadlocks, braids and hair attachments called Take Down Remover cream, so there is no excuse why women are losing or damaging their hair.

When a women wears any type of hairstyle for 4 weeks or more the hair can become dry, and filled with build up of dust, sweat, and oils. The natural hair can even begin to get matted like a dreadlock. And when the natural hair is mixed with hair attachments there is a tendency for the hair to tangle in with the add-on hair as it gets older.

With this knowledge, women must use caution when having these hair styles removed-that way they won’t have to settle for pain, hair loss or thin hair. Stylists are not taking the time to care for their clients hair by being trained in proper removal of hairstyles. They just experiment with different products which can cause adverse reactions to the scalp.

Alopecia, scalp discolorations, white spots and persistent flaking of the scalp (dandruff) are all byproducts that have been on the increase due to improper removal methods. Improper removal of the adhesive for Lace Frontal wigs and extensions are causing some women to lose their whole frontal hairline. It is unacceptable.

The natural hair of a women is her crown and glory, and should be cared for and maintained no matter what hairstyle she is adorning. Hair is a women’s God given natural beauty and when we do not take the time to care for our hair, or demand that our stylist respects our hair; it is a manifestation of lack of self worth and love of self.

It is so disheartening that nowadays the crown and glory of a women is based on which type of hair extension she is wearing, I.e. Spanish Wavy, Brazilian Silky or Asian Yaki.

There are many products on the market that are specifically created for removing any type of braid style, weave, hair extension or even dreadlocks. It is up to every women to ask and do the research. Hairdressers are talented and they need to sincerely value this talent by properly applying and removing add-on hair or hair attachments. If a stylist does not know the proper method of removing any particular hairstyle, do not put it in your clients hair!

It is never too late to save your hair, start loving your natural hair today.

Please call us for training and more discussions on this issue.
hairmasters
Tel:+234-703-188-2527

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:40am On Oct 27, 2010
Ejadamen:

I'm curious,what natural products?
You're funny. Try to enjoy this stage cos when the hair gets longer,you'll remember this stage wistfully. I'm loving every part of my hair growth. I just ignore the stares and move on.

My only problem is when coming to work, I just can't get the style right for some reason but otherwise I am good.

I am sure I am going to have many happy days with my hair but girl allow me to vent from time to time, it's not all smooth-sailing, this is new to me so I am sure you will understand why I get frustrated at times, but I appreciate that there are people walking me through this journey, it will definitely make it easier!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 6:16am On Oct 29, 2010
SA Goddess:

My only problem is when coming to work, I just can't get the style right for some reason but otherwise I am good.

I am sure I am going to have many happy days with my hair but girl allow me to vent from time to time, it's not all smooth-sailing, this is new to me so I am sure you will understand why I get frustrated at times, but I appreciate that there are people walking me through this journey, it will definitely make it easier!

Hmmm, what style are you going for?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Hmmm, what style are you going for?

LOL, that is the problem Nerd, I just brush it and end up looking like I just got off the bus from my village cheesy somehow it just doesn't look right but soon this stage will be a thing of the past. . . . . .weekends are easy as I just apply moisturiser and wear it stylishly rough and off I go. . . . . . . .
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 5:32pm On Oct 29, 2010
SA Goddess:

LOL, that is the problem Nerd, I just brush it and end up looking like I just got off the bus from my village  cheesy  somehow it just doesn't look right but soon this stage will be a thing of the past. . . . . .weekends are easy as I just apply moisturiser and wear it stylishly rough and off I go. . . . . . . .

Lmaaaaaaoooooo @ village part grin. I bet all the village girls who are steppin' off buses must be mad at you right now. Have you considered making your own or using hair gel to help style your hair?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by ochukoeja(f): 6:21pm On Oct 31, 2010
I'm seriously thinkin of cutting my hair and goin low my fear is that my hair is scanty and i fear cutting it will make me look very small since i have a baby face. But i knw this is something i must do given the fact that my hair is damaged and needs to rest. I'm still thinking about it while i cover my hair with weavons.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 4:44am On Nov 01, 2010
ochuko eja:

I'm seriously thinkin of cutting my hair and goin low my fear is that my hair is scanty and i fear cutting it will make me look very small since i have a baby face. But i knw this is something i must do given the fact that my hair is damaged and needs to rest. I'm still thinking about it while i cover my hair with weavons. 

Awww, don't be scared. Here, check out this video on Youtube>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/Nikkimae2003?feature=chclk#p/search/7/CwIHTBtBrro & http://www.youtube.com/user/bambiix2#p/search/0/rLF1jWSDEtw. It might give you a boost in terms of how you feel about cutting your hair. I was supposed to cut my hair this weekend but there was a change in plans. The only thing that seems to worry me at this point is the this winter cold and having short hair. I know imma rock it anyway but this weather is setting worse and worse by the day. Anyway way, check out the videos I posted, they're really helpful. I actually saw one of the girls [second video] in the video here in New York, I was too shy to say 'hi' to her though embarassed. She just moved to New York not to long ago.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 6:51am On Nov 01, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Awww, don't be scared. Here, check out this video on Youtube>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/Nikkimae2003?feature=chclk#p/search/7/CwIHTBtBrro & http://www.youtube.com/user/bambiix2#p/search/0/rLF1jWSDEtw. It might give you a boost in terms of how you feel about cutting your hair. I was supposed to cut my hair this weekend but there was a change in plans. The only thing that seems to worry me at this point is the this winter cold and having short hair. I know imma rock it anyway but this weather is setting worse and worse by the day. Anyway way, check out the videos I posted, they're really helpful. I actually saw one of the girls [second video] in the video here in New York, I was to shy to say 'hi' to her though embarassed. She just moved to New York not to long ago.

The girl in the second video looks really great. Do you know what she said she put on her hair?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 11:35am On Nov 01, 2010
madlady:

The girl in the second video looks really great. Do you know what she said she put on her hair?

She was putting henna in her hair. Omgggggggg, I love that Nneka song in Bambii2x's BC video.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 1:02pm On Nov 01, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Lmaaaaaaoooooo @ village part grin. I bet all the village girls who are steppin' off buses must be mad at you right now. Have you considered making your own or using hair gel to help style your hair?

But they will know what I am talking about, the village look is distinct grin grin grin grin

I have not considered making my own hair products YET, but am interested to know how I can make my own styling gel!

I will check out the vedio link, a bit hectic at the office today!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 4:09pm On Nov 01, 2010
SA Goddess:

But they will know what I am talking about, the village look is distinct grin grin grin grin

I have not considered making my own hair products YET, but am interested to know how I can make my own styling gel!

I will check out the vedio link, a bit hectic at the office today!

Hehehe, the village girl thin is still crankin' me up.

@everyone on this thread:
Check out this website, there's lots of helpful and interesting articles on the website >>> http://fromgrandmaskitchen.com/
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 5:09pm On Nov 01, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

She was putting henna in her hair. Omgggggggg, I love that Nneka song in Bambii2x's BC video.

Oh that's why it looks glossy. Thanks smiley
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 5:35am On Nov 02, 2010
Here's another link as well, her stuff seems good as well. I've only seen a few videos though >>>  http://www.youtube.com/user/BeautifulBrwnBabyDol#p/u. And for those of you know who are in the know in the natural hair community, here's EmpressRi's Youtube link. Omg, this woman is like the natural hair queen >>> http://www.youtube.com/user/richeau . ope you all like it wink
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 8:44pm On Nov 02, 2010
^^
It's good.
I use yellow Shea butter to bath with (second wash) it very moisturizing. I cant use it in my hair, it's too heavy.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 10:02pm On Nov 02, 2010
madlady:

^^
It's good.
I use yellow Shea butter to bath with (second wash) it very moisturizing. I cant use it in my hair, it's too heavy.
How do you use shea butter to bathe
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 8:05am On Nov 03, 2010
I use Shea Butter Rose and Rosemary wash. A few pics of the products. smiley

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 12:46pm On Nov 03, 2010
madlady, that means it comes as a soap? Pics weren't so clear to me. Shea butter is very good for hair. I love it! Only a small quantity is needed,a teeny bit. Anything more and it's heavy.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by madlady(f): 2:33pm On Nov 03, 2010
Yes they are bad, I tried to save money by buying a cheap one, bad move.

The Shea Butter comes in tubs, I then add herbs or scent to it ,the lady I bought it from taught me how to do it.

You can use it for your hair but, it makes my hair stick to my head.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photos From MBGN 2014 / Ladies, What Is Your Ideal Heel Height? / Funke Akindele (Jenifa) Makes A Colorful Fashion Statement [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.