Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,244 members, 7,860,560 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:36 PM

Understanding Feminism - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Understanding Feminism (1952 Views)

Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" / Awkward Ideology Of Nigerian Ladies Towards Feminism That Ruins Relationship / My Opinion About FEMINISM... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 12:36pm On Mar 29, 2019
What Feminism Is
Realize that feminism is more than "girl power" or "hey, it'd be cool to be equal to men. " Feminists seek to dismantle all systems of oppression—not just patriarchy like their name suggests, but also systematic racism, heterosexism, ableism, and more. It covers issues from rape culture to income inequality. In the eyes of a feminist, every human has human dignity, and deserves the same freedoms and opportunities in life.
"Girl power" ignores the idea that women can do bad things too.
Equality to men is an impractical idea—which men should women be equal to? White heterosexual men? Black autistic men? Fat transgender men? Not all men are equally privileged.
Observe how feminism encompasses injustice of all forms and mutations. It supports everyone from the rape victim to the woman whose bottom is pinched by a coworker, from the teenage wife to the gamer who is frustrated at seeing characters of her gender seen like objects. The existence of larger problems does not invalidate the smaller problems.
Recognize that feminism holds that all people deserve to be treated with basic human decency. They should not need to dress a certain way, lose a certain amount of pounds, hide signs of their religion or disability, or straighten their hair in order to be treated with basic respect.
Basic respect means (among other things) freedom to walk around without stares of disgust or rude remarks, human rights such as effective healthcare, equal opportunity, and not fearing for their safety or lives because of their gender/race/gender identity/etc.
Recognize the importance of consent in feminist beliefs. Feminists believe that no one's bodily autonomy should be violated. This is very clear in their stance on sex and sexual assault, but also in a number of things in everyday life. In feminism, consent has no exceptions.
Most feminists are pro-choice [21] because a fetus is using a pregnant person's body (causing things like vomiting and serious financial expense), and it thus it should be removed if the pregnant person no longer consents to its use of their body. [22]
Feminists usually oppose the draft [23] and routine infant circumcision, [24] because men did not consent to the draft, nor can infants consent to an unnecessary operation. [25]
Understand feminism's stance on the female body. Feminists believe that women's bodies are about more than sex and beauty. They dislike the treatment of women as sexy objects in advertising, movies, video games, and other areas. They are critical of the beauty industry that tells women that they need to meet a nearly impossible standard in order to feel happy and desirable.
Some feminists rebel against toxic beauty culture by deliberately choosing not to follow it (e.g. not shaving, wearing little or no makeup, accepting body fat). Others prefer to dress up according to beauty norms. Neither preference makes a woman a bad feminist.
Some women protest the idea that the female body (especially cis women's breasts) is inherently sexual. They believe that women should be able to breastfeed in public without people ascribing sexual meaning to it, and go topless in the heat like men can.
Recognize that feminism is intersectional. It encompasses more than sexism—it also addresses issues of race, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, income, size, religion, and more. This is because feminism is for all women, not just the straight white able-bodied etc. women. The need for feminism will disappear when all forms of oppression no longer exist.
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 12:37pm On Mar 29, 2019
lalasticlala front page pls
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 12:45pm On Mar 29, 2019
ifyalways ahnie kanwuliaextra xhosanostra blank trustyshoess sharliz safarigirl repogirl dingbang ishilove lefulefu nofavorss ibkayee pocohantas adewumiopeyemi cerowo divay22 eyinjuege babeosisi geekybabe pharmagirl refiner dangotesmummy preshy561 iamj makydebbie twaci sisisioge oochi123 Victorian czarina twoclans guest007 skarlett uyailncomparabl bukatyne carammel hibiscus76
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 12:54pm On Mar 29, 2019
cococandy nwanyiawkaetiti missraine69 mznaett chommieblaq dollyjoy
Re: Understanding Feminism by Preshy561(f): 12:54pm On Mar 29, 2019
Feminism only on the net.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Feminism by Earthquake2: 12:59pm On Mar 29, 2019
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Understanding Feminism by iRepNaija1: 1:02pm On Mar 29, 2019
Please don't put this on the front page. This is just another factually incorrect post about feminism.

Edit: If you're going to talk about feminism, at least go to the dictionary to collect the correct definition.
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 1:10pm On Mar 29, 2019
Preshy561:
Feminism only on the net.
dear dont dem. dey claim to be feminist yet dey still be under a man a get decived. see Linda ikeji toke makinwa.
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 1:11pm On Mar 29, 2019
Earthquake2:
Nonsense
my dear is not nonsense women deserved respect from all of us
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 1:12pm On Mar 29, 2019
iRepNaija1:
Please don't put this on the front page. This is just another factually incorrect post about feminism.

Edit: If you're going to talk about feminism, at least go to the dictionary to collect the correct definition.
oga why dont u blog urs.most of d girls agree wit me so why do u disagree
Re: Understanding Feminism by iRepNaija1: 1:15pm On Mar 29, 2019
Bossjakande:
oga why dont u blog urs.most of d girls agree wit me so why do u disagree

Which girls? You're the only one who keeps re-replying to your own post.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 1:18pm On Mar 29, 2019
iRepNaija1:

Which girls? You're the only one who keeps re-replying to your own post.
u think I put my blogs on on nairaland am on enough website for ur info watsapp 2go, Facebook etc. dats were pole truly apprec8 wat o do.
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 1:21pm On Mar 29, 2019
Re: Understanding Feminism by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 29, 2019
Great read. Nice blog as usual.

Most girls are hypocrites
Re: Understanding Feminism by Jcole1985(m): 1:53pm On Mar 29, 2019
I was happily reading this untill I remembered that Ceecee,Linda Ikeji and 99% of our olosho female celebrities are Feminists.What a load of rubbish! angry
Re: Understanding Feminism by MissRaine69(f): 10:22pm On Mar 29, 2019
Bossjakande:
cococandy nwanyiawkaetiti missraine69 mznaett chommieblaq dollyjoy
Yes?
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 9:41am On Mar 30, 2019
MissRaine69:
Yes?
wat ur opinion
Re: Understanding Feminism by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 30, 2019
Bossjakande:
u think I put my blogs on on nairaland am on enough website for ur info watsapp 2go, Facebook etc. dats were pole truly apprec8 wat o do.

Boss, I found your blog grin

I was in the fb rooms when I found you grin

1 Like

Re: Understanding Feminism by austyn0(m): 10:08am On Mar 30, 2019
Jcole1985:
I was happily reading this untill I remembered that Ceecee,Linda Ikeji and 99% of our olosho female celebrities are Feminists.What a load of rubbish! angry
Self acclaimed feminists rather. Be specific next time brow
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 11:18am On Mar 30, 2019
Guest007:

can u see wat am saying I cry out evrytime but it will be like a joke dats not me I aware dey stole my blogs again. nofavorss see wat dose barstards have done on fb dey stole my blogs again
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 11:23am On Mar 30, 2019
Guest007:

preshy561 skarlett blank xhosanostra sexybbstar ginaz sinaj cococandy sisisioge yettymuse bukatyne ahnie bujebudanu1 safarigirl amarabae ishilove pocohantas nwanyiawkaetiti uyailncomparabl iamj lefulefu rosalieene rosarie rosieluv vizkiz hibiscus76 makydebbie czarina sinaj see how dey steal my blogs
Re: Understanding Feminism by Nobody: 11:24am On Mar 30, 2019
Bossjakande:
can u see wat am saying I cry out evrytime but it will be like a joke dats not me I aware dey stole my blogs again. nofavors.s see wat dose barstards have done on fb dey stole my blogs again
Oh my God! This is really wrong. They don’t even take permission they just stole everything like that. Na wa o

Sorry boss
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 11:33am On Mar 30, 2019
Nofavorss:
Oh my God! This is really wrong. They don’t even take permission they just stole everything like that. Na wa o

Sorry boss
I sware dose barstards will regret it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding Feminism by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 30, 2019
Bossjakande:
preshy561 skarlett blank xhosanostra sexybbstar ginaz sinaj cococandy sisisioge yettymuse bukatyne ahnie bujebudanu1 safarigirl amarabae ishilove pocohantas nwanyiawkaetiti uyailncomparabl iamj lefulefu rosalieene rosarie rosieluv vizkiz hibiscus76 makydebbie czarina sinaj see how dey steal my blogs

Boss, you stole the blog from them or they stole the blog from you? shocked

3 Likes

Re: Understanding Feminism by Jcole1985(m): 8:12pm On Mar 30, 2019
austyn0:
Self acclaimed feminists rather. Be specific next time brow
How come no one told me there was an exam before you can become a feminist

1 Like

Re: Understanding Feminism by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 30, 2019
Ndi-ara.

Until you tell me how you plan on ending the benefits enjoy in this our misandric society, you're wasting your time.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Feminism by czarina(f): 9:21pm On Mar 30, 2019
Nofavorss:

Sorry boss
Seriously? undecided
Re: Understanding Feminism by ednut1(m): 9:48pm On Mar 30, 2019
Bossjakande:
see as he dey beg. 35 year old man lol
Re: Understanding Feminism by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 30, 2019
czarina:
Seriously? undecided
What? Are you the person pilfering his work? That’s not fair. You causing him pains

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 10:06pm On Mar 30, 2019
Guest007:

Boss, you stole the blog from them or they stole the blog from you? shocked
dey stole d blogs from me I wrote it first
Re: Understanding Feminism by Bossjakande: 10:07pm On Mar 30, 2019
ednut1:
see as he dey beg. 35 year old man lol
if I tell u bad word u will hate ursef are u animal
Re: Understanding Feminism by ednut1(m): 10:09pm On Mar 30, 2019
Bossjakande:
if I tell u bad word u will hate ursef are u animal
grin cry cry baby.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Actress Uche Ogbodo Goes Completely Naked (see More Photos)18+ / How Should Finances Be Handled In A Marriage? / I've Already Divorced Once. And Now My Second Husband Is Cheating. What's Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.