Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,608 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? (1379 Views)

What Exactly In One Word Is Islam? / 7 Types Of People In RELIGION SECTION / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by bodejohn(m): 4:02pm On Sep 08, 2010
Looking at the events of the past weeks especially from the unwarranted disruption of a Jumat service in University of Ibadan and the near breakdown of law and order that almost followed, the uproar in USA over the plan to build a Muslim community center near ground Zero to the recent activities of a pastor also in USA trying to raise a congregation who will be burning the Quran, I have been unable to find an answer to my question. What is in religion that divides us? Will it ever be possible for us to find common grounds or words in our religions that will make us live in peace and respect each other? We leave in fear not because of these religions but because of the people who become extremists with it.

Dear all,
Let us use this thread to identity the things or issues that can bring us together as a people even with our diverse religious affiliations.
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by Jenwitemi(m): 4:55pm On Sep 08, 2010
The two most virulently intolerant religions on the face of this planet, christianity and islam, are also the most divisive because of their henotheistic nature. My god is better than yours. My religion is the only truth, while yours is counterfeit. That is henotheism in it's simplest meaning.

There is no way, and i repeat, no way these two religions will ever find a common ground for the sake of peaceful co-existence. It is not in their nature(henotheistic) to find such common grounds. It goes against the religion of these two religions to find such common grounds. They were purposefully created specially(among other dark reasons) to cause strifes and conflicts amongst humanity. They both feed on strifes and conflicts to enable them to feel their importance on this planet. The more strife, the better.

The whole humanity will have to spiritually grow above and beyond these two hateful religions or else they will drag us down into the abyss with them. It all depends on each individual. We all have to play our part in this urgent task of self-evolution or we are all done for. What we are seeing now are signs of things to come.
bodejohn:

Looking at the events of the past weeks especially from the unwarranted disruption of a Jumat service in University of Ibadan and the near breakdown of law and order that almost followed, the uproar in USA over the plan to build a Muslim community center near ground Zero to the recent activities of a pastor also in USA trying to raise a congregation who will be burning the Quran, I have been unable to find an answer to my question. What is in religion that divides us? Will it ever be possible for us to find common grounds or words in our religions that will make us live in peace and respect each other? We leave in fear not because of these religions but because of the people who become extremists with it.

Dear all,
Let us use this thread to identity the things or issues that can bring us together as a people even with our diverse religious affiliations.
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 09, 2010
jenwitemi, u've spoken well. Please help me tell them O! Religion creates dogmatism; dogmatism creates intolerance! In the name of religion, they go about killing innocent people calling them unbelievers. I just hope all these religious fanatics wont bring about another Dark Age.
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by victorazy(m): 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2010
Is there anything like religion in heaven? just asking plz!!!!
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by yommyuk: 12:06am On Sep 10, 2010
In regards to religious division, the problem is not the "religions" it is the human factor that is the driving force. Even Within these so called religions. there is strife and infighting. If "humans" can love each other as they would love themselves, this world/Universe will be heaven for us all.

Let me illustrate further. Religions can be compared to the main tribes in Nigeria.(Yourba, Ibo, Hausa). Fussing and fighting. Is there anything wrong being a Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa. But an Ibo man will say Yoruba is bad and vice versa. The issue is not the tribal group, but the human factor. LIKE RELIGION.
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by Jenwitemi(m): 2:01pm On Sep 10, 2010
A question that has been asked so many times before, but always greeted with absolutely deafening silence. Why is that not surprising?
victorazy:

Is there anything like religion in heaven? just asking plz!!!!
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by Jenwitemi(m): 2:12pm On Sep 10, 2010
And what exactly is that "human factor" that divides humanity? Care to elaborate more? Is it not the case that these two heno religions(christianity and islam) play on those human factors to cause even more strifes for their own benefit? Is it not futile to try and extricate these two religions from what they sometimes tacitly and other times boldly promote in their scriptural texts, which are creation of divisions amongst mankind? All one has to do is to study the relationship between christians and muslims of this forum and the case for religions being huge divisive factors would become crystal clear and irrefutable.
yommyuk:

In regards to  religious division, the problem is not the "religions" it is the human factor that is the driving force. Even Within these so called religions. there is strife and infighting. If "humans" can love each other as they would love themselves, this world/Universe will be heaven for us all.

Let me illustrate further. Religions can be compared to the  main tribes in Nigeria.(Yourba, Ibo, Hausa). Fussing and fighting. Is there anything wrong being a Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa. But an Ibo man will say Yoruba is bad and vice versa. The issue is not the tribal group, but the human factor. LIKE RELIGION.
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by yommyuk: 9:57pm On Sep 10, 2010
@Jenwitemi

Forget about the religious division and focus on your "SOUL". That is the "Human factor" I am referring to. Jesus Christ said "why worry about the speck in your friends eye when "YOU" have a log in your own eye". At least the religious fanatics have more chance of making heaven than u.

You are part of the human factor I am referring to
LOST SOUL undecided
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by Mudley313: 12:19pm On Sep 11, 2010
Insert Quote
In regards to  religious division, the problem is not the "religions" it is the human factor that is the driving force. Even Within these so called religions. there is strife and infighting. If "humans" can love each other as they would love themselves, this world/Universe will be heaven for us all.

Let me illustrate further. Religions can be compared to the  main tribes in Nigeria.(Yourba, Ibo, Hausa). Fussing and fighting. Is there anything wrong being a Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa. But an Ibo man will say Yoruba is bad and vice versa. The issue is not the tribal group, but the human factor. LIKE RELIGION.

wrong comparison. the difference between difference in tribe and religion is that being igbo does not arrogantly stipulate that those who are yorubas or not ibos are automatically sinners or infidels and will burn in some imaginary burning fire for eternity for being non-ibos; now thats intolerance
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by Purist(m): 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2010
For as long as John 14:6 remains in the Bible, and it's equivalent in the Quran, there will ALWAYS be that division.
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by yommyuk: 1:10pm On Sep 11, 2010
The key word I am referring to is *Division". What causes the division within religion. The answer is Human beings. In the bible some humans see the statement "Love thy neigbour", and live it. Some see "Eye for an eye and live that also. Different perceptions from the same book. Human factor.

Let's relate the above to "Tribalism". In our beloved naija, there are inter-marriages b/w all tribal groups. However within these groups some are tolerant or Intolerant of the other. Why? Human factor.

Some may use religion as a front but deep inside it is something more sinister. My grandparents were muslims, but did not hinder my Dad or myself from becoming Christians. However in some cultures, such move will carry the "Death Sentence". Human factor for u sad
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by Mudley313: 2:22pm On Sep 11, 2010
The key word I am referring to is *Division". What causes the division within religion. The answer is Human beings. In the bible some humans see the statement "Love thy neigbour", and live it. Some see "Eye for an eye and live that also. Different perceptions from the same book. Human factor.

Let's relate the above to "Tribalism". In our beloved naija, there are inter-marriages b/w all tribal groups. However within these groups some are tolerant or Intolerant of the other. Why? Human factor.

Some may use religion as a front but deep inside it is something more sinister. My grandparents were muslims, but did not hinder my Dad or myself from becoming Christians. However in some cultures, such move will carry the "Death Sentence". Human factor for u

i'm surprised to see you tryin to rationalize your irrational and utterly intolerant belief system above after the bolded below:

@Jenwitemi

Forget about the religious division and focus on your "SOUL". That is the "Human factor" I am referring to. Jesus Christ said "why worry about the speck in your friends eye when "YOU" have a log in your own eye". At least the religious fanatics have more chance of making heaven than u.

You are part of the human factor I am referring to
LOST SOUL

you just helped to buttress the point that its logically impossible for religion (especially the abrahamic faiths) not to be devisive and intolerant (because thats just how they're structured). you dont need to look too far but in your own bible to see instances where "your god" (not just human factors as you're trying to explain) ordered people to loot, r.ape murder women, kids, properties of unbelievers who had just a mere difference in belief or god. christianity itself is the most devisive of them all. protestants believe catholics are commiting the sin of idolatory for their practice of praying before stautues of mary and saints or going against jesus proclamation that no one goes to god except through him by praying through mary; catholics believe that protestants deviated from the right path cos of a confused monk named martin lurther; jehovahs witnesses believe its ludicrous to believe in an eternal burning hell; mormons believe joseph smith was provided the right message and what all yall are currently following has been perverted by man; other christians believe celestial churches are fetish and demonic; some christian believe tithing is wrong and stealing in the name of gawd, some dont; some believe speaking in tongues is divinely inspired some believe it is what it is: pure gibberish; and so on and so forth and this is only with ONE religion
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by mazaje(m): 10:12pm On Sep 11, 2010
The Abrahamic religions think only of competition. The religions are based ONLY on castigating others to survive. . . . . .My God is better than your God is the principle on which all the Abrahimic religions are founded upon, so as long as people continue to believe in them there will always be division. . . .What are people to do when there are passages in the bible and the koran which people stupidly accept as the word of God which says that unbelievers are condemned already(in the bible) and Allah hates the unbeliever(in the koran)?. . . .How will you like a person that your God has already declared as condemned or his enemy? As long as people continue to foolishly believe i these crazy religions there will always be division and hate on both sides no matter how people love to pretend or conceal their hatred and dislike for each other. . . .
Re: What Exactly In Religion Divides Us? by Purist(m): 4:19pm On Sep 12, 2010
mazaje:

How will you like a person that your God has already declared as condemned or his enemy? As long as people continue to foolishly believe i these crazy religions there will always be division and hate on both sides no matter how people love to pretend or conceal their hatred and dislike for each other. . . .

Absolutely spot on!

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Ruling The World? / Prophecy From Pastor Chris Oyakhilome At The New Year Service. / I Dont think u have ever think about This, Have You ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.