Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then - Nairaland / General (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then (22126 Views)

If All Our Parents Used To Take First Position, Who Takes The Other Positions? / Lies We Have Told Our Parents / Nice Vs Rugged Man, Who Was Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 8:41pm On Sep 23, 2010
mädchen:

Is there a problem on nairaland if you live outside Nigeria? I'm getting some negative vibes, directed towards some people living outside Nigeria? I can figure out that there are favorites here though that live abroad. Anyways sorry for going OT. Was just mildly curious.

you know it's all jokes right.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 23, 2010
mädchen:

Is there a problem on nairaland if you live outside Nigeria? I'm getting some negative vibes, directed towards some people living outside Nigeria? I can figure out that there are favorites here though that live abroad. Anyways sorry for going OT. Was just mildly curious.

There really is no problem. Its just that there is a yawning difference in culture as between a country like Nigeria and a country like Germany.
So some of your questions and comments do inevitably reflect that difference. Its totally understandable.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 8:52pm On Sep 23, 2010
tensor777:

There really is no problem. Its just that there is a yawning difference in culture as between a country like Nigeria and a country like Germany.
So some of your questions and comments do inevitably reflect that difference. Its totally understandable.
VERY INTERESTING! My comments inevitably reflect the difference in culture. Coming from one who doesn't know how long I have been in Germany. My questions are seen as unnigerian, cause my profile location says Germany! Hmm,
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 8:53pm On Sep 23, 2010
bawomolo:

you know it's all jokes right.
It's mild sarcasm , I won't say jokes! Noticed it from the beginning of this thread, that I have actively followed. smiley
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by UyiIredia(m): 8:57pm On Sep 23, 2010
mädchen:

It's mild sarcasm , I won't say jokes! Noticed it from the beginning of this thread, that I have actively followed. smiley

>>> some clarity, on what u mean, via examples undecided undecided undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 9:04pm On Sep 23, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

[
Uyi Iredia link=topic=511646.msg6810410#msg6810410 date=1285271867:

It will take a while to go back and note them. don't have a problem with this though. However, 'some clarity via examples' will be nice for Tensor to produce which highlights the 'yawning difference between the Nigerian culture and that of Germany my comments and questions show' smiley
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tollu: 9:18pm On Sep 23, 2010
I think some of our parents were somewaht sick.

I used to think I was alone in this thing but this thread has opened up my eyes. Still on page 7 so can't make a full comment just yet.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 9:20pm On Sep 23, 2010
somewhat sick seems a bit harsh.

more like a product of their environment
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tollu: 9:38pm On Sep 23, 2010
Yeah, it might be considered harsh but then what do we call the horrible horrible horrible things that some of us experienced as kids?

People close to me don't even know I have a mum!
She tries ending her phone calls with "I love you" and I'm like "OK mum, talk to you later".

She actually tried making amends sometime this year, but I wasn't willing to deal with old hurts there and then so I guess things r still hanging.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 23, 2010
reflecting - we say its love but i think it may also be a case of the game of my pikin is better than yours carried to extremes

parents doing whatever they can to stay ahead of the joneses in the parenting stakes
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Kilode1: 10:02pm On Sep 23, 2010
mädchen:

WOW, you really do have questions grin

I'm not sure, as you can deduce from the number of posts I have, I'm a newbie here, though I ghosted for eons before registering. cool

NL, una get favorites?! shocked  make una add me join o!, I'll like to share out of Seun's proceeds.

Don't let it get under your skin, I actually believe most of the posters here live outside Nigeria, you will figure that out soon and probably enjoy the caustic remarks.

Afterall, we are all products of parental brutality and abuse.

the last sentence was a joke cool
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by etinbaba: 10:26pm On Sep 23, 2010
instrestinly dis doesnt inply to every family
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tollu: 10:32pm On Sep 23, 2010
Finally made it to the end and phew . . .

When I started reading, I couldnt wait to post my onw experiences but right now, I'm not sure that would be a good idea.
To everyone who has been bold enough to share, I say THANK YOU. You may have no idea the kind of semi closure your words have brought to people but rest assured, your words have gone a long way.

oyb:

reflecting - we say its love but i think it may also be a case of the game of my pikin is better than yours carried to extremes

No such thing as love for some of these parents man. No such thing.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 10:41pm On Sep 23, 2010
^^ You must share your own o
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tollu: 10:54pm On Sep 23, 2010
Biko, make I no share anything tonight.
Got plans for tmr morning and wouldn't wanna wake up in cold sweat.

There was someone that said his father was still beating him in his dreams! Even after the said father had passed on!!

Metta n sele ni ilu yii walahi
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 24, 2010
tollu:

I think some of our parents were somewaht sick.

I used to think I was alone in this thing but this thread has opened up my eyes. Still on page 7 so can't make a full comment just yet.

tollu:

Finally made it to the end and phew . . .

When I started reading, I couldnt wait to post my onw experiences but right now, I'm not sure that would be a good idea.
To everyone who has been bold enough to share, I say THANK YOU. You may have no idea the kind of semi closure your words have brought to people but rest assured, your words have gone a long way.

No such thing as love for some of these parents man. No such thing.

They did the best they could. Its callous to think you would have done better if you were in their shoes. many of these parents didnt have parents to show them any love and they were beaten just as badly as we were. As far as they were concerned, that was the only way to relate to children.

I love my own parents . . . yeah they made so many mistakes but on the flip side, where would i have been without their sacrifice? I'd rather a father who prefered to almost kill me than one who didnt even show his face one day.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 12:45am On Sep 24, 2010
I guess you are right David.

When I had the opportunity of mixing with guys who grew up in a family that the father was non-existent, even despite the beating i received I still appreciate my dad.

You know when you grew up in a family where your dad and mom have been together for over 30yrs, You tend to take some things for granted. Some people just wanted a father figure which was never there and if you knew a lot of folks in the Western countries you would still appreciate your family more.

My dad as much as he flogged me, I got a lot of things from him which were integrity and discipline in all ways of life. Even here where I can go anywhere without anyone checking me I still stay home most of the tme.

One thing my dad says it (A ki gbe ile eni ki a fi orun ro) You cant stand in your house and get into trouble.

Another thing was financial discipline. I still dont understand how my parents were able to feed 4 children with that kind of salary they got. While in Nigeria, I was making over 3 times what my parents made combined at the peak of their careers and I still struggled financially.

When I got here, I have been able to tighten my finances more. As at now, I dont have any credit card cos my dad told me that anything you cant pay for/afford, You dont need it. Despite many ppl telling me to get a CC to build credit, The thought of living in debt scares me.

I guess in all we should still thank God for the kind of parents we had. They had their positives and negatives. I would wish he communicated more rather than flog but I would still take him in his brutal ways than have a non-existing dad, jail-bird dad, a serial drunkard, wife-beater,multiple-kids-from different women dad or womaniser.

My dad now uses me as an example for my youngers ones that : look at Dayo, see how he is doing, that was because he adhered to the discipline we gave him. LOL If only he knew
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 12:50am On Sep 24, 2010
^^^ true. My dad would never allow us go play with our friends and neighbours, it was like living in a cage! As my dad would say . . . read now while ur friends are playing, when they are now starting to read at old age you can then play all you want. Turned out he was right!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 12:58am On Sep 24, 2010
^^ You were lucky you had brother who were close to your age that you could play with.

I had 2 sisters after me and my only bro was 9yrs younger. Friends were not encouraged to visit cos of the kind of scrutiny my parents would give them and I wasnt allowed to go out either.

I learnt a lot in my moments of solitude which included learning all the countries of the world and their capital by age 9. I still remember till today

Most times when my dad is not home I would just take a ball and start raising it by myself and play table soccer My right hand vs my left hand.

LOL.

Atimes its fun to be your own friend I tell you
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:02am On Sep 24, 2010
lol poor you. My brothers and i would play unofficial world cup tournaments with fanta/coke/sprite metal covers all day! You dared not step outside the house doors, if you were caught na God go save you that day. Trick was to open your math textbook, solve 1 or 2 problems and pose it there with some scrap paper. Soon as dad came home you just sat there and pretended to have been hard at study all day. grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Kilode1: 1:31am On Sep 24, 2010
I guess in all we should still thank God for the kind of parents we had. They had their positives and negatives. I would wish he communicated more rather than flog but I would still take him in his brutal ways than have a non-existing dad, jail-bird dad, a serial drunkard, wife-beater,multiple-kids-from different women dad or womaniser.

I agree, with a very mild protest. . .

I learnt a lot in my moments of solitude which included learning all the countries of the world and their capital by age 9. I still remember till today
OMG, me too!! maybe not all but a lot! I was also reading bulky encyclopedias to kill boredom, after doing assignments( you can imagine your dad giving you more assignments than your teachers) you just have to be reading something.

Most times when my dad is not home I would just take a ball and start raising it by myself and play table soccer My right hand vs my left hand.

So no be only me?! grin grin

I still don't understand how my parents were able to feed 4 children with that kind of salary they got. While in Nigeria,

can't get it either. . .

My brothers and i would play unofficial world cup tournaments with fanta/coke/sprite metal covers all day! You dared not step outside the house doors, if you were caught na God go save you that day.

Table soccer! we plenty o!  cheesy

^^ You were lucky you had brother who were close to your age that you could play with.

He sure was grin

One thing my dad says it (A ki gbe ile eni ki a fi orun ro) You cant stand in your house and get into trouble.

DK and Davidylan! I think my father raised you guys!!  (but he was kinda meaner to DayoKanu  grin )

The experiences are so similar, up to the "owe" you quoted! ( I always disagree with that proverb though, because I once "ro" my neck inside my room  grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 2:11am On Sep 24, 2010
I also had the responsibility of teaching my younger ones school work during holidays.

I would conduct fake exams, Make report card(and design it) for my sisters. When my dad came for the weekend he would tell them to go and bring all what I thought them.

He would check what i thought them and my teaching methods before asking me how many chapters of Lacombes, National Common Entrace by Odiaka, New general maths, Further Maths Project, Nelkon, Abbott, Ababio, Stone and Cozen Biology I was able to complete in the week (With a stern face).

My mom who was a teacher I would help her to mark her students script, grade her students, (When she was getting her higher degree, I would help her to write her notes) Its not easy to be a first born boy
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Okijajuju1(m): 2:19am On Sep 24, 2010
The plight of the Nigerian Child!! Sad!!

Today, I smile when I see kids of nowadays who didnt have to go through half the shi't we did complaining bout their parents!! My Parents hurt me both physically and psychologically that I ended up hating my siblings for no reason!!

Thank goodness I am one of the success stories from those times.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tpiah: 4:30am On Sep 24, 2010
well, y'all know what they say

eni lori oni fila, eni ni fila o lori.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tollu: 7:10am On Sep 24, 2010
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 7:45am On Sep 24, 2010
tollu:

Now I'm not asking anybody te tell me "I love you", just don't

- Take out all you fraustrations on me cos u broke up with your husband
- Don't beat me to stupor just cos I "stole panla" from the pot on my birthday
- Don't accuse me of being a witch just cos I look like my paternal grandmother (LOL)
- Don't smack me senseless cos a cousin took pictures of me n my younger siblings
- Don't whip me with your tongue at any given opportunity

I cannot honestly say I love my mum. I understand her? Now I do but the damage is done.

You said  a whole lot of stuff there and I hope you can turn those past events into something positive.

I think you probably highlighted some of the reasons why your mum was probably like that, and sitting back now and reflecting it on it will probably give you an insight into her state of mind as of then.

As per the last statement, I have seen that same/similar theme reoccurring in this thread in my opinion, and while the damage may not or cannot be undone on our generation, I think it is vital that we break that trend and raise our kids via the best way we can. For example, you didn't like our your mum took out her frustration on you, and I am guessing you will most likely not do the same with your own off-spring etc.

On a lighter note, lol at those who played "table soccer" with "counters" (bottle tops). Damn, those were memories boy!  I also remember that massive ODIAKA book, you cannot fail your common entrance exam if you read that book lol. Back then it was like the bible for most Primary 5-6 pupils wanting to attempt the Common entrance exam back then. grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 24, 2010
dayokanu:

I also had the responsibility of teaching my younger ones school work during holidays.

I would conduct fake exams, Make report card(and design it) for my sisters. When my dad came for the weekend he would tell them to go and bring all what I thought them.
He would check what i thought them and my teaching methods before asking me how many chapters of Lacombes, National Common Entrace by Odiaka, New general maths, Further Maths Project, Nelkon, Abbott, Ababio, Stone and Cozen Biology I was able to complete in the week (With a stern face).

My mom who was a teacher I would help her to mark her students script, grade her students, (When she was getting her higher degree, I would help her to write her notes) Its not easy to be a first born boy

Awww this is cute. grin

It cuts across all first-borns though not only boys. I know if we did something wrong, my elder sister would chop more cane than anybody. grin grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ugsh: 3:44pm On Sep 24, 2010
My parents those days were terrible., but i wont talk about what they did to me because I was stubborn and they did it for my own good. BUT SOME OTHER PARENTS I KNEW BACK THEN WERE EVIL!!! angry lipsrsealed
I remember our former neighbour back then who used to beat her children black and blue until they were unrecognisable. Although her children were "very stubborn" and she was a stressed out single mom who worked 4rm as early as 5am in the morning to like 10pm in the night, what she did on one fateful day was fetish.
She gave some intructions for her four children to carry out while she was at work, but her stubborn children decided to play and engage in other activities. I was asleep when she came back then, but the following morning I couldn't recognize any one of them. The Ada and only girl of the house sustained the most injuries, she was only 11yrs old and her mom held her wrist down while she pounded her hand with a real hammer until it bled. She locked the door so no one heard their cries. She hit her elder brother's head on the concrete wall until he fainted. They told me they wished they had died.Even after all the bleeding she allowed their wounds to get infected and it swelled up the next day with double pain. I think the Landlord of the house sent her packing i can't really remember.
This is just one of the thousands abuses that are happening to kids in Nigeria today. cry
The Government should establish a child protection agency and sue these parents to court, or put them in a psychiatric home, because I don't think our neighbour was alright upstairs, I mean why would you beat your children to the point they bled, and that wasn't enough to soften her heart, she still allowed it to get infected. That was her right arm, she couldn't even write in school because she didn't even bother to take them to hospital.She only gave them Panadol!!!!!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Elpieda: 3:46pm On Sep 24, 2010
Wow, I just read all 16 pages and had a variety of emotions run through me cos it just made me realize I was never alone, My dad never touched me cos he never believed in hitting a woman but my mum beat me wella.

Truth is am not as close to my mum as I want to be but someone said something to me. You alone can decide how you want to relate to your parents no matter how bad you were disciplined.

I would admit that who I am today is partly a result of the discipline I received from my folks most especially my mum, Yes in the process our relationship sort of disintegrated and she is trying to get us to chat like best friends and I am so resistant to that, She gets me to say i love you but I am also resistant to that cos we dint grow up saying I love you so why now,

Well the point I want to make is this. I will most definitely give my kids some good spanking when they mess up (definitely not in an abusive way). But I will make sure I also let them know how much I love them and hug and kiss them crazy and give them reasons why I spank them and not just leave them feeling hurt. That is what I will change about my mum and dad's parenting. They will beat you and not explain why they do what they do and just leave u hanging without hugging and showing affection after wards, Till date am scared of having a female child cos I don't want to end up having a shallow relationship with her where she doesn't tell me anything but as i said If I ever get a female child from day 1, she will know that I lovee her with everything and I will always make that VERBAL before it gets late,
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 24, 2010
ugsh:

My parents those days were terrible., but i wont talk about what they did to me because I was stubborn and they did it for my own good. BUT SOME OTHER PARENTS I KNEW BACK THEN WERE EVIL!!! angry lipsrsealed
The Ada and only girl of the house sustained the most injuries, she was only 11yrs old and her mom held her wrist down while she pounded her hand with a real hammer until it bled. She locked the door so no one heard their cries. She hit her elder brother's head on the concrete wall until he fainted. They told me they wished they had died.
The truth is such a woman had mental health issues. That is pure criminal assault. shocked shocked It has nothing whatsoever to do with discipline.
Definitely she should have been in some sort of cage. angry
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 4:55pm On Sep 24, 2010
I would admit that who I am today is partly a result of the discipline I received from my folks most especially my mum, Yes in the process our relationship sort of disintegrated and she is trying to get us to chat like best friends and I am so resistant to that, She gets me to say i love you but I am also resistant to that cos we dint grow up saying I love you so why now,

Similar to mine too
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:08am On Sep 25, 2010
Elpieda:

Wow, I just read all 16 pages and had a variety of emotions run through me cos it just made me realize I was never alone, My dad never touched me cos he never believed in hitting a woman but my mum beat me wella.

Truth is am not as close to my mum as I want to be but someone said something to me. You alone can decide how you want to relate to your parents no matter how bad you were disciplined.

Well the point I want to make is this. I will most definitely give my kids some good spanking when they mess up (definitely not in an abusive way). But I will make sure I also let them know how much I love them and hug and kiss them crazy and give them reasons why I spank them and not just leave them feeling hurt. That is what I will change about my mum and dad's parenting. They will beat you and not explain why they do what they do and just leave u hanging without hugging and showing affection after wards, Till date am scared of having a female child cos I don't want to end up having a shallow relationship with her where she doesn't tell me anything but as i said If I ever get a female child from day 1, she will know that I lovee her with everything and I will always make that VERBAL before it gets late,

interesting. Similar to my mom in a way but i think she reversed quite early in our teenage yrs. Unlike my father, she noticed the increasing rift and tried her best to repair the damage before it was too late. Have to credit her with doing a good job so far though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently / Shocking Video: Real Life Mutant Vampire Boy Spotted In Angola, / All Elections In Nigeria Were Rigged Since 1960 - Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.