Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,486 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar (26329 Views)

Call Tinubu Like Jonathan Did To Buhari, Ohanaeze Tells Atiku, Obi / Buhari Looks Sporty As He Inaugurates The 12th Naval Games In Lagos / Buhari Looks Good To Win 2019 Election, Says Bloomberg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by ijustdey: 11:57am On Apr 11, 2019
Jamila Abubakar

As the nation raised its voice against run-away banditry, kidnappings and rustling decimating lives and livelihood in rural north and caging the northern branch of the national elite, President Muhammadu Buhari boarded his plane last week for an economic summit in Jordan. From there he was to visit Dubai for a number of days. His deputy meanwhile boarded his own plane to Rwanda to participate in remembrance ceremonies for a horrific genocide. Senate President Saraki also jetted out to Qatar to attend some international parliamentary event. In this globalized world, their audiences must know that in Nigeria villages are being abandoned; highways are being deserted; dozens are kidnapped every day and the nation they lead is waking up to security threats that could dwarf Boko Haram. Yet, there they were, requesting foreigners to invest in a nation where foreign highway construction engineers have to be protected by armed soldiers and policemen, where human life has virtually no value, from a nation aping democracy when its elections provide the most fertile ground for crimes and fraud. Diplomatic etiquette will discourage pointed questions around relationships between violent crimes, the economy and Nigerian democracy, but there must have been a few who thought these three leaders either have the thickest skins or the highest levels of insensitivity.

President Buhari will travel out whether the nation is having its worst or best moments, but he does have the discretion to choose when it is the more sensible thing to do not to leave the nation for days on end. He chose the worst possible moment to attend an event that will not make a drop of a difference to the Nigerian economy or his false image as a tough, crime-fighting President. President Jonathan did not earn the popular tag ‘clueless’ for nothing. His legendary insistence that Boko Haram was a northern conspiracy against him, the manner he consistently devalued its danger, his initial denial that Chibok girls were abducted, his trademark mien that things are always better than they actually were, combined to create the image of a President that had no idea what was going on in the nation he led.

President Buhari took over from him, pushed Boko Haram into distant enclaves where it adjusted appropriately, removed road blocks from highways, sent tons of money to the insurgency in the Niger Delta to appease it and then…nothing. He sat in charge of a nation where doing very little about everything was the new normal. Decision-making was patchy, laboured and rare. Declines in the efficacy of public, security and law and order institutions began to register in lives of citizens. High-level corruption found new, cosier neighborhoods to flourish, and emerging crimes began to straddle huge parts of the nation. Tentatively at first, armed gangs created by an earlier wave of crime of rustling which uprooted entire communities and cultural systems began to probe at the heart of rural northern communities for weaknesses. It found many. Thousands of Fulani had lost their cattle and livelihood, and had discovered how easy it was to acquire firearms, become rustlers themselves, fight peasants who resisted them and establish control and presence in largely-unpoliced rural areas and extensive forests.

Poor governance and corruption created further distances between the citizen and the state, and this became more pronounced under Buhari, a president ironically elected to improve the security of the citizen. Dangerous official denial of weak will and incompetence and the crude cultivation of the perception among the poor that Buhari could not do wrong allowed gaping holes in the security infrastructure to widen, as armed crime pitched communities against each other and made many others hostage. Agriculture suffered as farmlands became abandoned. Rustling increased, creating new recruits for armed criminal activities. Kidnapping blossomed into the only growing economy in the north, making overnight millionaires and creating its own elaborate systems to survive and expand. Policing, already severely stressed by a weakening state and corruption, retreated. Millions of citizens were increasingly abandoned particularly in areas that provided Buhari’s political lifeline throughout his political career.

Jonathan lost an election because he failed to protect citizens and curb corruption. Buhari won a second term because peasants and the urban poor in the north thought he could still fix their rapidly deteriorating lives. Bandits and kidnappers saw an opportunity to dig in. They know what Buhari’s voters do not: his capacity or willingness to stand up for the poor who stood by him is severely limited. They may not have the sophistication to read security maps very well, but they know about abandoned populations, vulnerable highways, frightened relations of victims who prefer to pay millions in ransom than go to the police, and a government that does little more than lament and condemn. Today the bulk of Buhari’s voters are threatened by both Boko Haram and gangs that routinely take over entire villages for pillage or for the hell of it. Because they can. Those who did not vote for him to return as president taunt those who did for their current plight, but they do so from barricades. No one is safe in Buhari’s Nigeria today. You would think you are in Jonathan’s Nigeria. Only it is worse.

Nothing captures the routine, pathetic lamentation of Buhari’s leadership than the statement released by his aide while he wined and dined with world leaders in faraway Jordan last weekend. “How can I be happy and indifferent to the senseless killings of my fellow citizens by bandits?” he asks. ”I am human and I understand the pains of the victims and their families who have been traumatized and impoverished by constant ransom demands by bandits….I constantly listen to our security personnel in order to understand their problems and needs…It is therefore ridiculous to suggest that I am indifferent to these killings”, he pleads. What is ridiculous is that President Buhari expects that a nation that is bleeding from neglect is going to believe that he is doing enough. If, all considered, President Buhari is concerned about security and is not indifferent to the killings particularly in the regions that just gave him a new mandate, then the nation is in even worse trouble that it realizes. If he survives the legal challenge to his re-election, the next four years will be tough for the nation. A president who cannot understand that he is seriously under-performing in managing security is a major liability for any nation.

Jamila Abubakar wrote this piece from Abuja

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/buhari-looks-like-jonathan.html

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by sholatech(m): 12:04pm On Apr 11, 2019
One of the most balanced political articles I've read of recent. PMB needs to wake up!

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by BlackfireX: 1:09pm On Apr 11, 2019
I don't understand o

1 Like

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by ican2020: 2:09pm On Apr 11, 2019
Big lie
One listens to people and takes informed decision, while the other one believes he knows everything, yet, certificateless

122 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by FearGodinall: 2:26pm On Apr 11, 2019
sholatech:
One of the most balanced political articles I've read of recent. PMB needs to wake up!
. Really but the Buhari you voted for can't be awake to his responsibility because he's lifeless to all happening in his government.

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by hisexcellency34: 2:55pm On Apr 11, 2019
Do you mean worse than Jonathan?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by PureMind2: 2:56pm On Apr 11, 2019
Okay

1 Like

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by BlackAdam55(m): 2:56pm On Apr 11, 2019
or Buhari is worst than Jonathan,but he's still our president undecided

11 Likes

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by salbis(m): 2:56pm On Apr 11, 2019
Make u no insult Jonathan please. Make una dey enjoy the next level wey una ask.

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by DonMarvay(m): 2:56pm On Apr 11, 2019
Really.

I need a partner/contributor for my instagram travel blog.
Its all about showcasing amazing travel destinations within Africa, thereby promoting the different African cultures and unique beauty.
I am about to promote my page through Tunde Edut and Instablog both of which have given me the price in order to grow my followers and monitize my page.
If you are interested kindly dm me your whatsapp number for a chat.
Please i need someone or people who have very unique ideas with pictures, short videos and descriptions for various travel destinations around Africa.
Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by Kennitrust(m): 2:56pm On Apr 11, 2019
Hello. Dare not compare GEJ with Buhari because Buhari is worse than anything Nigerian were expecting

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by nwabobo: 2:56pm On Apr 11, 2019

25 Likes

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by kaen1317: 2:57pm On Apr 11, 2019
Clueless Lifeless one with no idea of what to do with power.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by Englishgold: 2:57pm On Apr 11, 2019
Shut up, who asked you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by salbis(m): 2:58pm On Apr 11, 2019
sholatech:
Was he sleeping when una vota am. Next level una ask, next level una don get and next level una go remain to enjoy.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by bamasite(m): 2:58pm On Apr 11, 2019
cheesy
Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by XaintJoel20: 2:58pm On Apr 11, 2019
Well articulated
Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by kaen1317: 2:59pm On Apr 11, 2019
So nice to have a northern president in the face of all the killings in the north. If it were a southern president in the same circumstance, the north will accuse him of turning a blind eye in other to reduce northern population.

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by Iseoluwani: 2:59pm On Apr 11, 2019
If u didnt finish the article gather here asap

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by Ehizs: 3:00pm On Apr 11, 2019
Jonathan don suffer, they even comparing him with a lifeless somebody. SMH

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by kaen1317: 3:00pm On Apr 11, 2019
Those that go out of their way to breed snakes should not shout when they are bitten by the snakes the raised.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by holuwajaytee(m): 3:00pm On Apr 11, 2019
No be small thing
Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by oweman: 3:01pm On Apr 11, 2019
God forbid thing for >>
1) Buhari dont drink alcohol so never drunk
2) Buhari dont loot so dont have soft spot for looters .

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by madridsta007(m): 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2019
ijustdey:

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/buhari-looks-like-jonathan.html

The fattest lie around.

But I understand the predicament of this Jamila. She has to make a comparison to a figure which was demonised by the North and West in order to get a soft-landing from Buharists and Northerners.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by BlackAdam55(m): 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2019
kaen1317:
So nice to have a northern president in the face of all the killings in the north. If it were a southern president in the same circumstance, the north will accuse him of turning a blind eye in other to reduce northern population.
True!

11 Likes

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by dictbennie(m): 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2019
So the writer still had to drag Jonathan into Buhari's ineptitude.. Tueh!!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by Nairalandmentor(m): 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2019
shocked
Re: Buhari Looks Like Jonathan - Jamila Abubakar by Pavarottii(m): 3:04pm On Apr 11, 2019
Abeg they are not in d same level at any area of life. Jonathan is Miles ahead of all past head of states of Nigeria, even if he did only one tenure...

He has left the stupid country to be... After realising that his type of leadership is for advanced and developed countries... Not 3rd world countries like Nigeria..

If anyone should call GEJ name again in Nigeria matter... The thunder that will strike u is d one that gave power to Thanos.

29 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gridlock: Osinbajo, Sanwo-olu Visit Apapa, Inspect Ongoing Projects / Aondowase Chia Is Dead (Benue Commissioner For Rural Development) / Tinubu: As A Man United Fan, I Am Envious Of Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.