Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,776 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate (9167 Views)

I Got N100m From PDP, Not Yuguda – Odili / Faleke Picks Mohammed Audu As Running Mate / Odili: How Jonathan Displaced Me As Yar’adua’s Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Beaf: 3:35am On Sep 14, 2010
[size=14pt]Babangida picks Odili as running mate [/size]
By Soji Bamidele
September 14, 2010 02:24AM

Former military ruler, Ibrahim Babangida, is in advanced talks with Peter Odili, former governor of Rivers State, as he closes in on a running mate for the 2011 presidential elections.

A source within Mr. Babangida's camp said that the choice of Mr. Odili was strongly influenced by Raymond Dokpesi, chairman of DAAR Communications, and director general of Mr. Babangida's presidential campaign. The two men have a history of mutually beneficial dealings. Mr. Dokpesi was the director general of Mr. Odili's campaign when he ran for president in 2007. At the time, Mr. Odili was alleged to have invested N400 million of funds taken from the Rivers State treasury, into Mr. Dokpesi's company.

The EFCC, under Farida Waziri, quizzed Mr. Dokpesi over the money, but no charges were ever filed. According to the source, "Odilli will be groomed as the person that will succeed General Babangida, come 2015."

A controversial choice

Mr. Babangida, who is at the centre of several allegations, will be picking an equally controversial character if he settles on Mr. Odili as a running mate. Mr. Odili was elected governor of Rivers State in 1999 and was re-elected in 2003. His tenure was marred by human rights violations, insecurity, and widespread accusations of fraud.

During his governorship, Rivers State was, in theory, one of the wealthiest states in the country owing to its enormous oil revenue, but Mr. Odili instituted relatively few improvements. Instead, the former governor is on record for acquiring a South Africa-based hospital, and two Brazilian jets.

In November 2006, Peter Odili announced that he would run for president in the 2007 election under the ruling PDP. However, a day before the PDP's presidential primaries, Mr. Odili stepped down from the contest, paving the way for fellow governor, Umaru Yar'Adua, to emerge as the party's flag bearer.

Reports say Mr. Odili was forced out of that contest when the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) led by Nuhu Ribadu, released a report implicating him in fraud, mismanagement of state funds, money laundering, and abuse of office.

In February that year, Mr. Odili filed a suit challenging the powers of the EFCC to probe his administration. The court granted him an indefinite injunction stopping any investigations into his finances, describing it as a breach of his civil rights.

The declaration

It was expected that Mr. Odili would be unveiled at a rally for the official declaration of Mr. Babangida's intention on Wednesday in Abuja.

However, a text sent out by the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP. Rufa'i Ahmed Alkali. inviting all party executives to an emergency meeting on that same day , is raising eyebrows.

The coincidence in the timing is leading to speculation that this may be an attempt to steal the thunder from Mr. Babangida's declaration. As of the time of going to press , we were unable to contact Mr. Babangida to find out if he intends to change his plans. . Text messages to Mr. Alkali seeking clarity on the matter, remained unanswered

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5618480-146/babangida_picks_odili_as_running_mate.csp
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Beaf: 3:37am On Sep 14, 2010
A cocktail of theives! shocked shocked
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by naijaking1: 3:38am On Sep 14, 2010
That will be a game changer
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by AkinEgba: 3:42am On Sep 14, 2010
Wasn't he planning to hand over to an Ibo in 2015? Have Ibos across the Niger agreed that Odili is ibo enough to take their place in 2015? Either this report is untrue, or IBB is a thoroughly confused person.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Beaf: 3:52am On Sep 14, 2010
[size=14pt]birds of the same feather, he wants to use Odili to have access to the source. What a Joke? these clowns never give up. odili, a failed politician, babangida, a national thief thief. when you mix the two of them what do you get? failed theiving politicians.
[/size]

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5618480-146/babangida_picks_odili_as_running_mate.csp
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 4:30am On Sep 14, 2010
I hope odili does not accept that position and disgrace us. this IBB is using the same northern tactics as others.any igbo that accepts VP is a fool and deserves to be assassinated.im sick of it. angry
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Ibime(m): 4:43am On Sep 14, 2010
^^^I think you might find that it is IBB who should beware association with Odili lest his reputation be forever sullied.

Odili is a son of a LovePeddler, large-scale thief and murderer.

God forbid bad thing. I rather vote Abacha than Odili. Odili you no go die well for all the people you have killed in Rivers State. Son of Jezebel.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Obiagu1(m): 4:53am On Sep 14, 2010
So no Utomi, no Nnamani, and no Soludo, rather he wants to settle for Odili, someone with a bad reputation? Igbos are not that silly!
He should find a credible and capable Igbo or bid it goodbye.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 4:55am On Sep 14, 2010
Ibime:

^^^I think you might find that it is IBB who should beware association with Odili lest his reputation be forever sullied.

Odili is a son of a LovePeddler, large-scale thief and murderer.

God forbid bad thing. I rather vote Abacha than Odili. Odili you no go die well for all the people you have killed in Rivers State. Son of Jezebel.

Odili is so effing evil. i swear i hate that bastar.d.the dude is so crooked. definitely if IBB is considering him,its to loot the country to the last drop.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by naijaking1: 5:00am On Sep 14, 2010
So after all the personal hatred against Odili/IBB, can someone think of a strategic importance of this issue, barring emotions from the discussion as much as possible.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 5:04am On Sep 14, 2010
naijaking1:

So after all the personal hatred against Odili/IBB, can someone think of a strategic importance of this issue, barring emotions from the discussion as much as possible.

The strategic purpose of IBB reaching out is to get SE and niger delta votes. i think thats quite clear.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by AkinEgba: 5:06am On Sep 14, 2010
naijaking1:

There is no sensible strategy here. His plan is to try and divide SS vote while fooling Ibos with a promise of the presidency in 2015. Now IBB should know that Odili is only popular in his community (onelga) and his wife's community in Imo state. The fact that Odili is generally unpopular in the SS coupled with another fact that Ibos want an Ibo from the SE as the president makes IBB's choice of Odili idiotic.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by naijaking1: 5:34am On Sep 14, 2010
Akin-Egba:

There is no sensible strategy here. His plan is to try and divide SS vote while fooling Ibos with a promise of the presidency in 2015. Now IBB should know that Odili is only popular in his community (onelga) and his wife's community in Imo state. The fact that Odili is generally unpopular in the SS coupled with another fact that Ibos want an Ibo from the SE as the president makes IBB's choice of Odili idiotic.

I called this a game changer, because despite all we know about Odili's ambivalence about his Igbo nationality, despite all the crimes IBB committed while in office, the ordinary Igboman in PH, Aba, and even Enugu will definitely have a soft spot for Odili anytime, anyday.

They know these facts.

Another fact that doesn't help Jonathan is Chief Clark saying on so many occassions that they(Ijaws) couldn't trust Odili, because he's Igbo. I can see and hear that tape played over and over in Igbo dense areas where Jonathan may want to win. And don't forget the Biafran issue suddenly raised by another uncordinated supporter of Janthan.

Jonathan and Clark could afford to stick it to the Igbos as they have done in the past, but to do it to Igbos and Hausa/Fulani people at the same time, they need a better formula.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Beaf: 6:11am On Sep 14, 2010
naijaking1:

Is this meant to be a joke?
What can be the strategic importance of two mega thieves forming an alliance? If the scoop is true, their alliance is doubly worthless.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 6:30am On Sep 14, 2010
"POST DELETED"
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 6:31am On Sep 14, 2010
Look at this greedy evil thief Odili.

Onyakpiri:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpWg-HoykZ8[/flash] Start from 3:03
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 14, 2010
So IBB has been deceiving the ibo by playing politics with them. . . .na wa o
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by slap1(m): 6:49am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

So IBB has been deceiving the ibo by playing politics with them. . . .na wa o
You must have left your Bluetooth on overnight for the virus of confusion to invade it so completely. How else could you have possibly arrived at this inoperative conclusion?
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 14, 2010
slap1:

You must have left your Bluetooth on overnight for the virus of confusion to invade it so completely. How else could you have possibly arrived at this inoperative conclusion?
How could IBB think of getting ss votes by going for odili when most ND would definitely vote for jonathan ? I'd expected him to extend the vp slot to the ibo atleast to show that he's truly passionate about seeing an ibo president in 2015
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 7:01am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

How could IBB think of getting ss votes by going for odili when most ND would definitely vote for jonathan ? I'd expected him to extend the vp slot to the ibo atleast to show that he's truly passionate about seeing an ibo president in 2015

The plan is to keep the money running in these old political elites family. of course if this happens Odili is going to be the "igbo" PDP candidate for presidency.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by SkyBlue1: 7:02am On Sep 14, 2010
LOOL. Has to be a joke because I would personally find it difficult to think up a more untrustworthy and deceitful pair than IBB and Odili. You have maradona paired up with one of the worst (if not the worst) govenors the south saw in the Obasanjo era and definitely the worst govenor Rivers State has ever seen in its entire history ( even the military administrators did a much much much better job with less funds). At least Timipre Sylva has an excuse for his gross ineptitude and we can blame it on him being a crackhead, but what on earth was Odili's excuse? Why hasn't the EFCC arrested this man yet sef? Is the court injunction against them arresting him he got through his wife the judge still standing?
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 7:03am On Sep 14, 2010
Check out another video showing how corrupt this thief is:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRyOMrJE-w[/flash] Start at 2:14
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by MetalGong4: 7:11am On Sep 14, 2010
Let the political maneuvers continue . . . lol grin
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by slap1(m): 7:18am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Got ya! You said "have been decieving", so I was like : have been already decieved? Well, IBB, with his choice of Peter Odili, has already shown us his manifesto.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by SkyBlue1: 7:21am On Sep 14, 2010
Actually @OP, your title is misleading. The article does not say IBB has picked Odili as running mate. "Advanced talks" does not mean chosen, we don't even know what the talks were about. No need to be sensationalist.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 14, 2010
chyz:

The plan is to keep the money running in these old political elites family. of course if this happens Odili is going to be the "igbo" PDP candidate for presidency.
is odili an ibo man ? If no,why should he take ibo slot  ?
slap1:

Got ya! You said "have been decieving", so I was like : have been already decieved? Well, IBB, with his choice of Peter Odili, has already shown us his manifesto.
If you are going to accept Odili being an ibo man to take the ibo slot,why are you guys against Jonathan then ?
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Beaf: 7:29am On Sep 14, 2010
Sky Blue:

Actually @OP, your title is misleading. The article does not say IBB has picked Odili as running mate. "Advanced talks" does not mean chosen, we don't even know what the talks were about. No need to be sensationalist.

Nah, its not my title, its the 234Nexts title, word for word; complaints should go to them.
You will find at least one of my posts to be nuanced, because of the realisation that the story is an insider scoop. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-513004.32.html#msg6749314
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by rhymz(m): 7:34am On Sep 14, 2010
Well, let us not conclude yet, so far, he has not officially come out to say so. However, I think IBB's desperation is making him dense and impairing his judgement. If he thinks he can use Odili to kill two birds at thesame time then he is in for a shocker. Odili is not even popular in the SS let alone the SE. Infact, a delta state igbo would be more acceptable to the igbos in the SE than one from rivers state. Besides, when igbos say they want an igbo president, what they mean is an igbo from any of the southeastern states.
IBB is so falling out of favour in virtually every sphere of his campaign, I see a seriously confused man everytime he makes a move, the guy is not even as intelligent and politically savvy as we give him credit for. I bet Obasanjo is beating him to even his own game of wits. . . Scheeew. . . Evil genius my boring a$s, nothing intelligent abt most his moves-from botched paid interviews to manipulative associations that turned sour-everything is just desperate and manipulative. Imagine the nonentity implying he would give the igbos the presidency come 2015, like he would just walk on by and hand it over to anyone he likes(na ya papa invent d position). Even his comments shows a man that lacks depth. In a recent interview on AIT,when he was comfronted with the death of Dele Giwa, rubbish SAP and the missing 12billion oil windfall, the fool kept hiding his lack of any intelligent response by comparing his administration to a mediocre OBJ's and ended up saying Nigerians should be greatful to him. I felt like breaking the TV. Like Okey Ndibe succinctly put it: A case of mediocrity pointing accusing fingers at another mediocrity and yelling you are more mediocre.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Beaf: 7:37am On Sep 14, 2010
rhymz:

Well, let us not conclude yet, so far, he has not officially come out to say so. However, I think IBB's desperation is making him dense and impairing his judgement. If he thinks he can use Odili to kill two birds at thesame time then he is in for a shocker. Odili is not even popular in the SS let alone the SE. Infact, a delta state igbo would be more acceptable to the igbos in the SE than one from rivers state. Besides, when igbos say they want an igbo president, what they mean is an igbo from any of the southeastern states.
IBB is so falling out of favour in virtually every sphere of his campaign, I see a seriously confused man everytime he makes a move, the guy is not even as intelligent and politically savvy as we give him credit for. I bet Obasanjo is beating him to even his own game of wits. . . Scheeew. . . Evil genius my boring a$s, nothing intelligent abt most his moves-from botched paid interviews to manipulative associations that turned sour-everything is just desperate and manipulative. Imagine the nonentity implying he would give the igbos the presidency come 2015, like he would just walk on by and hand it over to anyone he likes(na ya papa invent d position). Even his comments shows a man that lacks depth. In a recent interview on AIT,when he was comfronted with the death of Dele Giwa, rubbish SAP and the missing 12billion oil windfall, the fool kept hiding his lack of any intelligent response by comparing his administration to a mediocre OBJ's and ended up saying Nigerians should be greatful to him. I felt like breaking the TV. Like Okey Ndibe succinctly put it: A case of mediocrity pointing accusing fingers at another mediocrity and yelling you are more mediocre.

I don't even believe Odili can visit the SS. The dude has been declared persona non grata.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by rhymz(m): 7:46am On Sep 14, 2010
Beaf:

I don't even believe Odili can visit the SS. The dude has been declared persona non grata.
. . . My brother he can jare, na nigeria we dey. All he needs to do is to move in in the company of a hundred policemen and in tainted vehicles. . . Scheeew. . .If IBB inspite of what he has done, can still be reckoned with then odili wu obele oku!
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 7:46am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

is odili an ibo man ? If no,why should he take ibo slot  ? If you are going to accept Odili being an ibo man to take the ibo slot,why are you guys against Jonathan then ?

who says anybody is against jonathan?what we are concerned about is Igbo interest. ibo,yoruba, hausa interest is not our business. and i didnt say he was going to try to go for the ibo slot come 2015 so clean ur ears. I said he going to try and be "Igbo" PDP candidate.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 14, 2010
chyz:

who says anybody is against jonathan?what we are concerned about is Igbo interest. ibo,yoruba, hausa interest is not our business. and i didnt say he was going to try to go for the ibo slot come 2015 so clean your ears. I said he going to try and be "Igbo" PDP candidate.
You may not be against jonathan but a lot of ibo have expressed their opposition toward his aspiration even on nl.what i still want to understand is why IBB would want to settle for Odili,a ND when he had made noise that he would want to see an ibo presidency in 2015.is that not a deception to the core ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Economy To Overtake UK, France By 2050 / Uproar As Senate Debates 2018 Budget Proposal / 2019: Jonathan Says Pdp’s Primary Election Will Be Free, Fair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.