Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,484 members, 7,819,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate (9184 Views)

I Got N100m From PDP, Not Yuguda – Odili / Faleke Picks Mohammed Audu As Running Mate / Odili: How Jonathan Displaced Me As Yar’adua’s Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by rhymz(m): 8:06am On Sep 14, 2010
Fact is that whether Jonathan becomes president till 2015 or Odili goes on to become president after 2015, that will not stop igbos from wanting thesame position. As far as regional interest is concerned, Odili and Ebele represent the interest of the SS region and not that of the SE. It is folly for anyone to justify their occupation as igbo slot when they do not come from any of the SEastern states. If a man with dual hausa-yoruba identity that is not from any of the SW regions but say kogi or Kwara state becomes the president, it can't be said that he has already taken the slot of the yorubas coz while it can be argued that he is yoruba his geographical location probably occassion by his dual identity disqualifies him from representing not just the yoruba interest but that of the region.
Igbos' clamour for presidency goes beyond just tribe, the core runs along geographical divide as well and that is what we must not confuse.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chyz(m): 8:12am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

You may not be against jonathan but a lot of ibo have expressed their opposition toward his aspiration even on nl.what i still want to understand is why IBB would want to settle for Odili,a ND when he had made noise that he would want to see an ibo presidency in 2015.is that not a deception to the core ?

Thats a rhetorical question. IBB hasnt chosen the guy anyways.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by rhymz(m): 8:24am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

You may not be against jonathan but a lot of ibo have expressed their opposition toward his aspiration even on nl.what i still want to understand is why IBB would want to settle for Odili,a ND when he had made noise that he would want to see an ibo presidency in 2015.is that not a deception to the core ?
. . . The igbo as a tribe is not against Ebele's candidature, most of the igbos that have expressed opposition to his candidature are PDP members whose arguements are justifiable in the confines of their constitution, it is individual and is not representative of the igbo tribe. It is only natural for everyone to want to protect their interest and make any moves towards achieving that. Just because the Yorubas have openly expressed their support for GEJ it does not mean the Igbos must tow that line, everyone has their reason and that of the Yorubas is very obvious besidz they have little to lose if their expectations are not met. However, it is imperative for the igbos to be careful with whom they align with to get the best bargain, simple! What we do now will determine how others will also support us, openly declaring any support now for anyone is folly, this is bargaining time and the igbos are going to use it to their advantage, no sentiments, just deal. So far, i like the divergent views amongst the igbo group, it will make the politicians fight for their support thus striking a bargain.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Abagworo(m): 8:38am On Sep 14, 2010
I have not seen where igbos are against jonathan,neither is any igbo a top member of ibb's campaign team.it is either yoruba or edo.the evidences are top headlines here on nairaland politics.

Odili is a de-tribalised man and his problems in rivers state is rooted in this.babangida too is de-tribalised so is jonathan.jonathans problem is edwin clark who openly despises igbo and behaves as if ss is majority ijaw.he needs to be nationalist in his approach to issues and not tribalist.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by seanet02: 8:39am On Sep 14, 2010
No matter who the evil genius pick as his walking stick, it is going to be failure unlimited for the evil genius and his cohorts, if he choose the man who ripped Nigeria off and set up an airline with looted funds, it will still be back to square one for the evil genius, it is failure unlimited for the evil genius
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by otokx(m): 8:41am On Sep 14, 2010
This is a diversionary tactics.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by udezue(m): 8:47am On Sep 14, 2010
Look any Igbo who identifies him or herself as Igbo whether from SE or SS or Benue is Igbo enough and if he or she has the qualifications to be President I will throw my support behind him or her. I don't get why it should matter whether he is SE or SS unless we just want to play some kinda game where Presidency must rotate btwn SS and SE.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 14, 2010
Rhymz. I do agree with you, except on whether Odili is an Igbo man. Yes, he is, please refer to the thread on the true extent of Igbo land. South East and South South are only the post civil war expression of what the other major tribes want igbo land to be and not what it is. South South region is hardly monolithic in anyway, apart from the common issue their marginalization in oil resources.

While Odili is a full igbo man, schooled in Enugu and I think married to an Igbo woman, Jonathan has just his names to the claim, and the precedents of Edwin Clarks fight against Igbos (in the person of Odili) ever works against him any time one wishes to associate Ijaws and Igbos, even as mere cousins

IBBs' advisers have probably recognized the ongoing clamour by Igbos to express the true extent of the region as against their interest in the presidencey. Hence his strategy to pick a mate that will draw from both Igbo and South South Interests. Jonathan will have to work really hard to get a block vote from SE and even SS. He needs to shed the Edwin Clark Image and work on a strategy that clearly shows that he views both regions as being no different. He need to play on the old eastern region sentiments, but how he will overcome the civil war perceptions is the challenge.

On the other hand, if this is true, it is not because IBB has any promise to any one, but because he knows he must reduce any block votes Jonathan may get. Why is Jonathan not working to thwart the block votes IBB may get from the NW. This strategy was used effectively by Uba against Soludo in Anambra state elections. The game is getting more interesting though
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 9:04am On Sep 14, 2010
THis Babangida get sense no be small. Whether Odilli is from the South east or not, the truth remains that Igbos will vote for an Odilli rather than a Jonathan who as someone claimes only has an Igbo name to his claim. The only thing that can jeorpadise IBBs ambition is if other popular candidates like Buhari, Atiku also pick a popular Igbo from the South east as their vice.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by igboboy1(m): 9:05am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

your question doesnt make sense? Are igbos only found in the SE? I am from the SS and readily identify as being Igbo. My geopolitical affiliation is SS my ethnic affiliation is Igbo so stop asking retarded questions
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by onyengbu1(m): 9:28am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

It amaze me how people like you take everything you read on nairaland as igbo opinions.

You should grow up abeg.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 9:42am On Sep 14, 2010
igbo boy:

your question doesnt make sense? Are igbos only found in the SE? I am from the SS and readily identify as being Igbo. My geopolitical affiliation is SS my ethnic affiliation is Igbo so stop asking retarded questions

I get your point. But what if the interest of the south-south contadicts that of Ndigbo.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 14, 2010
rhymz:

. . . The igbo as a tribe is not against Ebele's candidature, most of the igbos that have expressed opposition to his candidature are PDP members whose arguements are justifiable in the confines of their constitution, it is individual and is not representative of the igbo tribe. It is only natural for everyone to want to protect their interest and make any moves towards achieving that. Just because the Yorubas have openly expressed their support for GEJ it does not mean the Igbos must tow that line, everyone has their reason and that of the Yorubas is very obvious besidz they have little to lose if their expectations are not met. However, it is imperative for the igbos to be careful with whom they align with to get the best bargain, simple! What we do now will determine how others will also support us, openly declaring any support now for anyone is folly, this is bargaining time and the igbos are going to use it to their advantage, no sentiments, just deal. So far, i like the divergent views amongst the igbo group, it will make the politicians fight for their support thus striking a bargain.
Well presented maybe i shouldn't much since the ibo are the ones during the bargaining here. . .just that i thought,ibb should in the mean time pick an ibo as his vice if truly he wanted a SE presidency come 2015 to avoid any successionary problem by that time
igbo boy:

Do politicians remember geopolitical affiliations when it comes to politics ? No,they understand their own tribe only.if not,why can't an ibo man contest election in lagos ?
onye_ngbu:

It amaze me how people like you take everything you read on nairaland as igbo opinions.

You should grow up abeg.
which part of my post are you talking about ? ojukwu has promised Ibb ibos' votes yet Ibb is still showing little concern for ibo.is that not a clear handwriting on the wall ? Ibb is only trying to use ibo and dumb them,the earlier the better you guys realise that.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by mbulela: 10:08am On Sep 14, 2010
beaf, kindly send me membership forms for the GEJ solidarity group.
I'll rather make GEJ a life president than vote for Odili.
Odili is the lowest of lows.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Okijajuju1(m): 10:12am On Sep 14, 2010
Babangida - Odili for 2011?!!

Instead, make military coup happen.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by igboboy1(m): 10:31am On Sep 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:
Do politicians remember geopolitical affiliations when it comes to politics ? No,they understand their own tribe only.if not,why can't an ibo man contest election in lagos ?.

still your questions dont make sense, Are there Igbos indigeneous to Lagos? NO

In case you dont know there are Igbos indigeneous to the SS, Like I said I am from Delta state and oh yea an igbo man can contest for elections in Delta state matter of fact the present and past governor of RIVERS (a SS state) are igbos, geez
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by naso2(m): 10:42am On Sep 14, 2010
I see the strategy here.

OUK has just pulled out of pdp and returned to PPA to run for president. so the calculations of the IBB camp are not difficult to decipher.

1. get an odilli who is more appealing to the IGBOS to come on board split the SS votes and win some reasonable votes in te SE.

2. OUK using his PPA card to contest the presidential elections and win majority of the SE votes.

By this moves GEJ's base would have been weakened considerably.

Well I somehow see that IBB is almost conceeding defeat at the PDP primaries so he is looking beyond the PDP to the general elections proper. We will handle him appropriately.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by desgiezd(m): 10:51am On Sep 14, 2010
One can look at this pair or team from several angles but I'll choose two for now:

1.   IBB + Odili  =  Empty National Treasury after their tenure - We have the $12 b Gulf War oil windfall as example for IBB while Odili stole Rivers State dry for 9 years.

2.   IBB + Odili  =  Untimely death to all opposition figures - Dele Giwa and the Military Hercules 30 plane crash in Lagos destroying a generation of middle level officers mostly from a particular region of this country are shinning examples for IBB while the death of Harry Marshal, A. K. Dokubo are just a few examples for Odili.

The moment it becomes clear that the duo are looking good at clinching the presidency, we should just go and be singing dirges for Nigeria for the end would have come for the nation.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by onemopol: 10:56am On Sep 14, 2010
[size=16pt]Maradona has picked Messi to mess up his chances, [/size]
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by kettykings: 11:29am On Sep 14, 2010
IBB was smart enof to choose a Rivers igbo to split the eastern Niger delta Rivers and his wife is from ASaba so by marriage delta north will vote him ,

the only thing remaining of south south is bayelsa of 1.5 million people and cross river, defnitely Akwa igbo will go the igbo way ,

in summary for the south South

IBB will get 3 states Akwa_igbo , Rivers, Delta (Anioma and Urhobo)

GEJ will get 2 states Bayelsa, Cross River

Edo will be indecisive so many factors Anenih , Odemudia, Oshiomole,akhigbe,

for the South East

IBB will get 2 Anambra, Enugu ,
GEJ will get 3 Abia , Ebonyi, imo

Imo will be a tough battle (odili's wife is from imo)

North Central

IBB 3 Niger, Kogi, Nassarawa
GEJ 3 Benue ,Plateau (anti fulani/hausa), Kwara (yoruba factor),Abuja Fct

North East

IBB 4 Gombe, Bauchi, Borno,Yobe
GEJ 1 Taraba ,

North West

IBB 6 Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Kano, Katsina, Jigawa

GEJ 2 Kaduna

south West

GEJ 6 lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ekiti

Total

IBB 18 states

GEJ 18 states

Kaduna , Adamawa, Edo will be states to watch out for this 2011

The problem really is not the election , who wins or who loses , the problem is what happens after the election.

We are likely to have a run off election which will lead to very serious conflagerations
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Solomon227(m): 11:34am On Sep 14, 2010
One can look at this pair or team from several angles but I'll choose two for now:

1. IBB + Odili = Empty National Treasury after their tenure - We have the $12 b Gulf War oil windfall as example for IBB while Odili stole Rivers State dry for 9 years.

2. IBB + Odili = Untimely death to all opposition figures - Dele Giwa and the Military Hercules 30 plane crash in Lagos destroying a generation of middle level officers mostly from a particular region of this country are shinning examples for IBB while the death of Harry Marshal, A. K. Dokubo are just a few examples for Odili.

The moment it becomes clear that the duo are looking good at clinching the presidency, we should just go and be singing dirges for Nigeria for the end would have come for the nation.

Nna na to run enter Cameroun oooo. This kind killing/looting combination beat me. In fact my Igbo brothers go 4get 2015 and start pleading mercy for our lives
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by rhymz(m): 11:40am On Sep 14, 2010
Solomon227:

Nna na to run enter Cameroun oooo. This kind killing/looting combination beat me. In fact my Igbo brothers go 4get 2015 and start pleading mercy for our lives

. . . .hahahahahaha, . . Is it that bad? Anyway, even if it happens they aint gettin anywhere close to the presidency.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Solomon227(m): 11:43am On Sep 14, 2010
@ Kettyking
IBB was smart enof to choose a Rivers igbo to split the eastern Niger delta Rivers  and his wife is from ASaba so by marriage delta north will vote him ,

the only thing remaining of south south is bayelsa of 1.5 million people and cross river, defnitely Akwa igbo will go the igbo way ,

in summary for the south South

IBB will get 3 states Akwa_igbo , Rivers, Delta (Anioma and Urhobo)

GEJ will get 2 states Bayelsa, Cross River

Edo will be indecisive so many factors Anenih , Odemudia, Oshiomole,akhigbe,

for the South East

IBB will get 2 Anambra, Enugu  ,
GEJ will get 3  Abia , Ebonyi, imo

Imo will be a tough battle (odili's wife is from imo)

North Central

IBB      3 Niger, Kogi, Nassarawa
GEJ      3 Benue ,Plateau (anti fulani/hausa), Kwara (yoruba factor),Abuja Fct

North East

IBB    4 Gombe, Bauchi, Borno,Yobe
GEJ    1  Taraba ,

North West

IBB   6 Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Kano, Katsina, Jigawa

GEJ   2 Kaduna

south West

GEJ  6 lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ekiti

Total

IBB   18 states

GEJ   18 states

Kaduna , Adamawa, Edo will be states to watch out for this 2011

The problem really is not the election , who wins or who loses , the problem is what happens after the election.

We are likely to have a run off election which will lead to very serious conflagerations

Your analyses are flawed
1. You need to analyse their individual chances in the PDP primaries (in fact that is d only thing that matters to both of them now) before u talk of getting votes based on ethnic, marital, or tribal affiliations or identifications.
2. The PDP presidential primaries has a limited and easily manipulated number of delegates
3. Im sorry to tell u diz the PDP primary will be manipulated to favour GEJ gudging by events in recent weeks
4. With OBJ the BoT chairman wit GEJ, PDP NEC selected by GEJ and these people will b d one conducting the primary your guess is as good as mine
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by rhymz(m): 11:53am On Sep 14, 2010
Solomon227:

@ Kettyking
Your analyses are flawed
1. You need to analyse their individual chances in the PDP primaries (in fact that is d only thing that matters to both of them now) before u talk of getting votes based on ethnic, marital, or tribal affiliations or identifications.
2. The PDP presidential primaries has a limited and easily manipulated number of delegates
3. Im sorry to tell u diz the PDP primary will be manipulated to favour GEJ gudging by events in recent weeks
4. With OBJ the BoT chairman wit GEJ, PDP NEC selected by GEJ and these people will b d one conducting the primary your guess is as good as mine
. . .chai! Nna Solo how You come take first me point out this guy's error. I bin wan ask whether all these im stats na unda one Phi dee phi ticket. . .guy bone, GEJ is so crushing IBB at d primaries that is why IBB is coming up with a plan B to make sure he splits GEJ's votes to spite him. GEj has the federal machinery at his disposal, dont 4get that!
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by kettykings: 12:01pm On Sep 14, 2010
@ posters IBB will loose the PDP ticket , Ghana must go will do the job for GEJ

I am talking about the final battle in january 2011
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by Rastamann: 12:21pm On Sep 14, 2010
God, unto thy hand we put Nigeria. Deliver us from all these rogues and vagabonds in power, Amen.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by AkinEgba: 12:32pm On Sep 14, 2010
Bluetooth, a lot of Igbos are not against Jonathan. The NOI poll https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-513008.0.html shows more Igbos support him than other zones. Do not base your ignorant conclusions on nairaland

~Bluetooth:

Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by orangemen: 12:43pm On Sep 14, 2010
as soon as i confirm this story, i will make myself available for them. i like that combination.
for me, it is all about taking this power from obasanjo's camp and this combination will be the best to do that.
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by HamidO1(m): 12:44pm On Sep 14, 2010
I really think Raymond Dopkesi is going crazy, Some1  pls call this guy to order. Naija abeg lets stand up against this guyz,
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by chamber2(m): 12:45pm On Sep 14, 2010
wrong choice
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by sulad82i(m): 1:03pm On Sep 14, 2010
Nigeria, a country were criminals can go free, brag about their failures, and also get rewarded by the highest position in the country. The Presiden
Re: Babangida Picks Odili As Running Mate by opribo(m): 1:04pm On Sep 14, 2010
but is he not Maradona afterall.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Alleged N12.2bn Fraud: Patience Jonathan To Know Her Fate May 9 / 2023: Falz Says He Does Not Intend To Join Presidential Race / Funny: Channels TV Interviews NSCDC Commandant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.