Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? (14981 Views)

HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? / International Certification Course Or A Professional Exam In Nigeria? / Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by dakmanzero(m): 12:02pm On May 26, 2007
@joobreel

EEE is not for everyone.

And if he has a career in computing in mind, EEE, physEng etc are even more irrelevant to him.

EE is for people that have a career in Engineering in mind, and that is not everyone.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Amoscity: 2:42pm On Jun 07, 2007
Goodday to you all! i m Amoscity from uniben. I read all your comment and all that, but the fact remaind the same, if our computer science student will know that the era we are now is not about theoritical minded but practically oriented. You have to give attention to ur practical, because when you go out there nobody will ask you about theory but practical. I m not saying you dont need theory! you need it as well.But you need practical most. You can only excel when you are practically trained.
As for me i chosed my path, and i will follow it. That is Computer For Life.
 Greetings to all the  NACOSSIT in the house.

From Amoscity
                                                             CEO Binary Technology Group.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by monex(m): 8:30am On Jun 08, 2007
Amoscity

Greatest Uniben Naccossites

i hear say dem don rebuild una dept wey catch fire
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Amoscity: 9:15am On Jun 14, 2007
Yes, We now have a standard and moden department. Would i say is d Lord doin? because if not dat fire incident, they would'nt have change it . It is now IT standard environment. We pray they shud also equip it for us ooooooooooooooooo.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by monex(m): 7:41am On Jun 15, 2007
Amos, i would soon come to collect my results. maybe then i would see what the dept has become. Hope say Godspower don pray over the new dept. Wishing u success in ur exam
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by deebsman1(m): 3:01pm On Nov 28, 2010
@Dakmanzero, u said it all. In Mathematics, hard work doesn't guarantee success. CSC has come to stay, doubting minds just look around u, d evidences r there.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by AjanleKoko: 9:57am On Nov 29, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, Computer Science is a Mathematics specialization.
Thought the job market in Nigeria rates CS over mathematics as a discipline on its own, the reverse is the case in the developed world. There, mathematics graduates have diverse opportunities in various sectors: statistics, business, economics, and finance, engineering, etc, as well as computer science itself.
Wherever you are, so long as you want to work strictly in the IT industry, no need to study mathematics, just go for CS.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by lekside44(m): 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2010
AjanleKoko:

As far as I'm concerned, Computer Science is a Mathematics specialization.
Thought the job market in Nigeria rates CS over mathematics as a discipline on its own, the reverse is the case in the developed world. There, mathematics graduates have diverse opportunities in various sectors: statistics, business, economics, and finance, engineering, etc, as well as computer science itself.
Wherever you are, so long as you want to work strictly in the IT industry, no need to study mathematics, just go for CS.

who won follow you hear that one for here?
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by solid1(m): 12:53am On Dec 31, 2010
In the field of computer, Mathematics rules - It gives a rock solid foundation to leverage on all area of computing. Just like I did, I ll advice anyone that who to go into ICT to start with maths, It encapsulates all aspect of computing.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Ajafik(m): 3:59pm On Dec 31, 2010
You need to get the basis in school and sharpen your IT skills. I mean be IT guru. Study the theory in skool to fit into the Nigeria market.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by lekside44(m): 9:33pm On Dec 31, 2010
computer science is even having sub fields been studied as a discipline. imagine i was surprise when i checked this years jamb brochure and saw that some schools are studying artificial intelligent as a course. what of system engineering which takes a step further than computer science?
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Sync201(m): 12:19am On Oct 18, 2016
Well it has already been 10yrs....so the question is "what is level is computer science in Nigeria"....how much is the pay,is it highly in demand
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Originalsly: 4:06am On Oct 18, 2016
I know very little about computer science.... so let me say everything I know. If you not good at Maths.... nor have a love for Maths then Computer Science is a no no for you.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by kingofthejungle(m): 12:39pm On Oct 18, 2016
its being ten years already
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Sirmuel1(m): 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2016
markkelly:
In the next 10 years computers scientist will be close to God because the world must have turned into a computers age, So dont regreat reading that course, And also if you are not good in the field and read it in th unversity for reading sake you will be very close to the devil LOL grin

Its 10years already
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Sirmuel1(m): 3:56pm On Oct 21, 2016
markkelly:
In the next 10 years computers scientist will be close to God because the world must have turned into a computers age, So dont regreat reading that course, And also if you are not good in the field and read it in th unversity for reading sake you will be very close to the devil LOL grin

Its 10years already cheesy
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Sync201(m): 8:41pm On Nov 02, 2016
I want to study computer science is it a good course now in Nigeria in this 2016
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by SetrakusRa(m): 10:56pm On Apr 18, 2017
10yrs later...
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by EngrPat: 1:37pm On Apr 19, 2017
Every course is "good" it all depends on YOU!
By YOU i mean: why do YOU want to study computer Science?
How well are YOU familiar with what it takes to thrive in the field (Computer Science)?
Do YOU know where computer scientist/Engineer work? (asin the nature of the job)

To mention but a few....

lol... I met a lady who studied computer science while serving, she does not know how to boot a computer cry. So what are we talking about here...

angry Some even go to study a course because their boyfriend/girlfriend attends that school and some'em be like "house don tire me any course dem gimme i go do" lipsrsealed

My Advice: Understand what the field you're intrested in entails, why you should study that course, what vision do have for it, say you dont get employed, can you rather be an employer of labour?

Its not really about the BIG NAMED Departments or how "sweet" the name of the course sounds when mentioned but Is It what you have passion for and wont be discouraged when faced with difficult times while in School.

I stumbled on this https://www.nairaland.com/3747977/things-should-know-engineer-field and i feel you should check it out as well.

Cheers.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Nobody: 2:02am On Dec 07, 2017
How true?
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Biola67: 10:14am On Jan 18
markkelly:
Uhmmmmm… see life 👍🏼
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Biola67: 10:16am On Jan 18
smile007:
Well am studying IT and i dont knw much abt computer sci. But the world is going into computer nw , In years to come IT will be ruleing thw WORLD grin
iT don Dey rule the world already 🤣🤣 both Doctor and lawyer everybody ddy learn tech now
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Biola67: 10:16am On Jan 18
some of this people I Dey reply too sef go don kpeme…. Na wa

(1) (2) (Reply)

Contributory Pension Scheme In Nigeria. / What No One Is Telling You About Your Job / Diamond Bank Adopts New Workings Hours!--- 7pm Closing Time.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.