Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,431 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1579108 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by buffnaija: 9:44am On Mar 02, 2009
the good parts of kenya are definitely cool. they look really really nice.

but like most african cities theres also a slummy part. and nairobi has one of the largest slums in africa.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ikeyman00(m): 10:46am On Mar 02, 2009
kia haa
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by wanyaga: 5:39am On Mar 04, 2009
Am one person who has never tried to excuse slums in Nairobi. Cos i believe in decent housing.
The Nairobi slums are being upgraded starting with the Kibera slums n the upgrading may take long, but the big ones will eventually be a thing of the past. The Kibera project has already completed the 1st phase n they are about to move some people in to give way to upgrading the other part.
I will soon post pictures of the 1st phase when i figure out how. Phasing out the slums is one of the agendas in the Kenya Vision 2030.
Why Kibera slum is so big n why Nairobi City looks so beautiful despite the big slum, is cos of the city's strict zoning. The city council has zoned areas and a building zoned for one area cannot be built in another area. So shacks zoned for slums must be built in the slums nowhere else thus concentrating slums in one strict area away from the city center n so thats why Kibera is so big cos the slum is not allowed to scatter in other parts of Nairobi.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ikeyman00(m): 6:01pm On Mar 04, 2009
who are u tellin that?

corrupt Mio and co?

u cnt be serious u know
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 12:48pm On Mar 07, 2009
buff naija, what you say is true, but those pics dont belong int this thread, please open a thred on slims and ill sure help you post mor pics

wanyaga karibu, let me help you with the pics of the new houses in kibera however the project is way too slow and the houses to few

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ciss: 4:08pm On Mar 07, 2009
Last week my computer crushed and with it my Nairobi pictures,plus a video I was making on the same.  So I've been googling for pics. Thank you so much for these pictures I'm going to forward the link to my friends here, and to all those who ask me if it's the first time I'm using a lift angry

I'm so tired of people asking me- so,, do you even have cars in Africa? Do you wear clothes?  Yeah, and , they all think Africa is a country, and Nigeria is its capital. When I walk around these Asian towns, I feel a physical pain, it's nothing compared to Nairobi. Racist people who think we  all came from some forest somewhere.
Now, I don't even bother defending, I just tell them, yeah,yeah, I have elephants in my backyard {silly!}
Nice shots.

Ciss, from Nai, living in Malaysia
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by wanyaga: 5:15pm On Mar 07, 2009
Thank you Maasai for posting those Kibera upgrading photos. I had said i would look for some pictures of the upgrading, but even if i got some, i would not know how to upload.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by wanyaga: 5:46pm On Mar 07, 2009
Here in U.S people are different. You may hear a few ask shady questions but not like the way you are putting it. Americans will tell you they know most of those stories in the Media is propaganda. An again Americans research things for themselves they don rely on media whole sale.
Ave been in U.S for 7 years ave never heard anybody say or think Nigeria is the capital of Africa, those Asians must be real ignorant. Here Kenya is even more popular than Nigeria, i think cos of Obama. An again Americans are very accomodative n non racist. Racism is there but its not something u experience onpenly in your daily life sometimes u even forget it exists until u hear it in the media.
Another interesting thing Americans love Africans for some reason. The pple they really have an issue with is the Latinos/Spanish especially those from Mexico n latin America.
About them thinking Africa is one country, thats ok, Africns also make alot of blunders about Asia n Latin America. I also don know where each Asian country is. I remember i got into trouble with one Asian for thinking his country is in Chi

Don be too sensitive either. I used to be so sensitive but after staying for sometime i realised pple r not even as mean as i presumed. Nowadays i don care what u ask me. But i try to educate anybody who asks me. Direct them to the pictures of Kenya in Skyscrapper city.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 9:28am On Mar 08, 2009
Hey Wanyag, here is how you post pics. First open the page where the picture you want to post is. Then right click on the picture. A menu shouls appear, the click on "copy image location". if this option is not there then click on properties, the highlight the image location, ang copy, it looks like a web page address. then go to reply on nairaland then click on the insert image icon, it should give you something that looks like this [im g] [/im g]. then right click and paste the image location it the middle like this [img]image location here[/i mg] then post. Try it out and if your still having troubles let me know
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ciss: 1:49pm On Mar 08, 2009
Wanyaga,
The people here are very ignorant, there are a lot of things they don't know and are not bothered to find out. The government keeps them happy and content, they think their country is no.1 in their  mind listings. The reason I don't try to educate anyone is because they wont give you a chance, the minute you begin to explain with a smile in your face, they say- but no lah, why then you come here, our country better-

I am still sensitive to open displays of racism. The common are if there is are  only black people at the bus stop, the bus wont stop. I have been left by the school bus a couple of times. If there is an empty seat where you're sitting, they'd rather stand. At Mcdonalds, you don't get served until the locals have had their orders, (unless you make some noise, then they'll say-these Nigerians!)
You can be stopped for a search by the police anytime,anywhere. Finding accommodation is extremely difficult too. The first thing they ask-you African?- If they accept, they double the price. I pay, for a single room more than what I'd pay for a whole apartment if I was another color.
The general term for Africans is Negro, and mercy to you if you fall sick, or have an emergency. I know people who died coz the ambulance wouldn't come fast enough, and when they came, they had to wait another hour to do anything until the police came.
Generally, people are rude and unaccommodating, they smoke everywhere, 90% of the population smokes,drinks at 9a.m and spits around{ ni kaa Isich}
But as with every place, you'll find a couple of good hearts.

I can't compare this place to Nairobi,  I'm  not surprised that some posts on this doubt that the pics are a real representation of the place. I miss walking along Mama Ngina street, Loita Street, and having coffee at {Wasanii(KNT,Opposite Norfolk. Can't rem if it was Wasanii or Msanii, something to do with art anyway)}

Post your pics, let's have  look.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 09, 2009
You should have written, Nairobi, Mombasa and Malindi is beautiful, not the whole of kenya looks like that , that Kibera pics is ungraded, Aki, unakenda kibera tena, unaona kwa wewe
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 3:58pm On Mar 13, 2009
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Jusfoy: 6:22pm On Mar 20, 2009
Proud of my african heritage and the beauty it possesses.
Inshort Nairobi has gone too green, kudos to all who have worked
so hard in bringing out its beauty.We pray for other african capitals or cities
to go green like Nairobi especially my country cameroon-Yaounde.I was in
Nairobi early 2000,and never did have time to visit some of these beautiful parks.Will go back again
and again to make up for what i missed though!
Loving the pictures bigtime u know, !!
cheers for a job well done.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Magellan: 6:06am On Apr 11, 2009
Hi everybody, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading this forum for almost a year and I finally decided to sign up and rant a lil. A short about me:
I'm a Kenyan born guy living in the US for the last 17 years, and I havent been back home in all that time, yes, I know its despicable, but I have no qualms about it coz most of my siblings live here in the USA and one is in Europe, and oh yeah, my parents always have a free standing visa to visit and do so every couple of years.

I dunno about the rest of you, but I get a thrill every time I see pics of my old stomping grounds. Nairobi has really changed from the last time I was there and it seems to get better as the years go by. I swear I will be as clueless as a tourist when I finally muster the effort to go back. But nonetheless, its a very promising venture when I do so.

My screen name says alot about me, , just like the original expeditioner magellan, I was fortunate to have a parent who was an American embassy employee and that gave me the opportunity to visit many countries and UN sanctioned regions & territories. I love the diversity of the world because it makes it so interesting. But I have to chip in on the current animosity between the Kenyans and Nigerians going on at the moment: You know why the African continent still lags behind in world development ?? Its not because of experience, talent or innovation. Its coz of sheer jealousy when it comes to prosperity. This element goes all ways, no one is innocent. Who cares if Lagos is richer than Nairobi, or if Nairobi is more adored by westerners than a west African city ?? The westerners love the fact that we cant appreciate our progress as Africans as a whole and we resort to back biting and hate on each other. Remember that old colonial tactic to conquer Africa?, (divide & rule), guess what?, it still works today. Shame on all of us, we let mother Africa down because of bullshit pride. The AU is a great concept, I hope we get it to work for the masses, God knows we are due for a break.

Long live mother AFRICA !!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by blackspade(m): 6:20am On Apr 11, 2009
buffnaija:

the good parts of kenya are definitely cool. they look really really nice.

but like most african cities theres also a slummy part. and nairobi has one of the largest slums in africa.

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/1_200011_20Ke_20Kibera_20overlook_20050623_small1.jpg
http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/1_200246_20Ke_20Kibera_20Soweto_20E_20hillside_20050625_small1.jpg

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/2_200222_20Ke_20Kibera_20Soweto_20East_20kids_20playing_20050625_small.jpg
Wetin dey point in showing this?? Nigerians and our ability to point out the negatives in everything. When people look at NYC pictures do they put East New York up first? No they don't.

Grow the F.UCK up!! Continue with the beautiful pictures please, Nairobi is one of my favorite cities in all of Africa.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Magellan: 7:42am On Apr 11, 2009
Well said blackspade, I can only hope that your statement reflects what most Nigerians think of Africa as a whole. Competing amongst ourselves is healthy, ONLY if we keep it in perspective for the greater good. Bragging rights competition only serves us on the contrary. If sub saharan, central and southern Africa united, we could make it one of the most sought after region in the world given the natural resources abundance. Hell, even the United States cant even compare !! But we still find a way to mess it up. Lets get recognized Africa, no more self imposed"negro mess ups, we are better than this. Make it happen !!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Magellan: 8:17am On Apr 11, 2009
Just a thought, what if (and I mean this in the most bizzare way/ thought), What if Africans united, (sub saharan, western, eastern, central &southern), what's to stop us from forming one of the most formidable nation on the planet ? Our parents and forefathers may not have had the idea because of communication, or lack thereof ?? Does anyone even doubt this ?? There's always strength in numbers. Hell, the Europeans & Americans have made it a reality, why not us No single African country can claim to match that progress. After centuries of domination by outside influence, we need to rise as one unit to counter them. We were great once, can we not be again ?? Ask yourself, "Why not ?"

Just because you may have a sheltered life right now, dont think short term, your decendants look up to you to give pride & security in the long term, its gonna be your ever lasting legacy.

It Just breaks my heart that we look at things in terms of tribe, locality, countrywise & nepotism. We are better than that !! There's a reason Africans have been around as long as cockroaches, we always find a way to survive !! This time, lets make it known worldwide that we arent just part of the world populace, but a formidable force to reckon with.

Make it happen , you owe it to yourself, among others.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Litmus: 1:03am On Apr 25, 2009
I’m new to the board so came across this thread late. Looks like all has been said. Therefore, I’d like to ask, is it possible to get rid of our West African neighbors and substitute Kenya instead? Not because of the pictures of Nairobi, although those were nice, but because the Kenyans who posted seem even more civilised than their city. Sure, I read some terse replies, but overall, compared to the grotty deeply primitive responses to Nigerians you find on visiting discussion forums run by our West African neighbors, Kenyans seem enlightened.  I’m impressed. I’d nearly given up on Africans, thinking most too brainwashed by western media to ever rise up and discard the shackles of imperialism. Kenyans have given me encouragement so here’s hoping Kenya goes from strength to strength.

On the building side, it would be nice if future Nigerian cities incorporated more of the greenery. The last time I was home (Nigeria) I suggested it to a friend of the family who was planning a large estate project. Unfortunately, the consensus was that if they incorporated grass, bush tress and creepers, in their design, these would encourage snakes. Nothing a few mongooses added to the scenery couldn't deal with, I suggested, but the idea was derided.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 6:12am On May 06, 2009
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 6:19am On May 06, 2009
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by volina(f): 7:17am On May 19, 2009
its good to see that this thread is still going on.av been away for so long, got to get some rel good photos.@masaai n mwanamiwa, hamjambo?
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Kenyanstar: 10:57am On May 22, 2009
Hi guys
I might be late in posting but wanted Kuwashukuru kwa kazi poa. Nilifurahi juu you guys tried to post the best of Africas pearl Kenya. But picha za nigeria kwa thread ingine hapa was so ugly nashanga how thiz guys wana kaa.
GOD BLESS kenya
Nigeria should vuta socks Juu.
Masai good for all the jobs and Wakenya wote wenye wamechangia
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by sameer9: 5:45pm On May 22, 2009
Very, very beautiful snapshots of Nairobi! However like somone else has said, you could include captions and expand the coverage to give an almost ‘a bird’s eye view ‘of Nairobi. If not possible, this is still billiant!Great stuff bro,have a few 4tos of my own, we canbring them together as sm1 sed.Baraka!

This is amazing!
Love the pictures!
wen did u start this?

im seriously bila words!…dnt laugh!

Keep it up!
U got a 411 junkie in the making!
=====================
mike
====================
Botswana safari
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ikeyman00(m): 7:59pm On May 22, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys
I might be late in posting but wanted Kuwashukuru kwa kazi poa. Nilifurahi juu you guys tried to post the best of Africas pearl Kenya. But picha za nigeria kwa thread ingine hapa was so ugly nashanga how thiz guys wana kaa.
GOD BLESS kenya
Nigeria should vuta socks Juu.
Masai good for all the jobs and Wakenya wote wenye wamechangia

kenysta

u arent allowed to speak zuluous monkey language in this site

however u can visit kenya to do so in their zulu world . com
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Kenyanstar: 10:37am On May 23, 2009
Ikeyman
I am so dissapointed that a purpotedly "literate" (which i highly refute) person can stoop to such low levels of abuse and utter disregard of possibly any self morals. I always respected Nigerians as people of high intelligence but whatever your comments instigated puts that into question. I am not trying to create any sinister remarks that might jeorpadise the importance of this thread but to indulgde you in a more intelligent manner rather than inexcusable outbursts such as yours. I wouldnt want to assume that you are a person of minmum intellect? Or are you.
Wishin you the best.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Kenyanstar: 10:53am On May 23, 2009
Hi guys
Pokea salamz mingi.
Nini mbaya na huyu "IKEYMAN".
Kenya sure is a blessed country and shows more of how to really run a country rather than drown one (Some West african countries & Somalia included). Some Countries such as Rwanda have followed the kenyan system of management and surely shows how we are held in high regard. Since the port of Mombasa is used in the wider East african neighbouring countries shows that we are still the undisputed KING of Africa Economically, Socially and politically.
GOD BLESS KENYA
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ioklen(m): 3:21pm On May 23, 2009
ohh, nairobi I can't wait 2 visit u sum day, I love Kenya as the whole, peoples, culture, landscape n off course Nyama choma, I loved it, lol grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 7:28am On May 24, 2009
Hey volina, long time, welcome back and your contributions will be highly welcomed. To all the rest thanks for your kind words and please free to contribute. And please ignore the detractors and keep posting, kenya needs all the help it can get.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ioklen(m): 6:27am On May 26, 2009
[i][/i]Hi anyone, all da photos content at this forum it seem taken from skycityscraper.com is it correct?
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by volina(f): 9:48am On May 26, 2009
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City
« #797 on: Today at 06:27:24 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[i][/i]Hi anyone, all da photos content at this forum it seem taken from skycityscraper.com is it correct?

Nay, we r the same people , we post the photos in both forums
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ikeyman00(m): 9:58am On May 26, 2009

hhahhaaa

since yall live in kenya why dnt yall ake some of the pictures and post it here

surely kenya need all the encouragement

cheers africa

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.