Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,292 members, 7,811,873 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1577867 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Walsh: 9:59pm On Aug 04, 2007
ohhh, cut me some slack, i was there on a business trip early this year. its not so cool as your making it look and sound like. you only pick the nice parts and display here. give us some break. lipsrsealed

Tectona,

Nairobi then must be one of the few world cities with so many nice parts to display so beautifully. Be real and face it the place is superb. Unless you did cut your business in some shady downtown hole. They're plenty even in New York.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by kamwali(f): 3:56pm On Aug 06, 2007
Proud to be a Kenyan. Kenya my country, Tusker my beer!! , yes I'm a Kenyan born and raised in Nai as we call it. I'm crazy about Naija boys though!! I'm taking him to see this beutiful city next summer. Karibuni nyote Kenya yetu, hakuna matata!! Sorry the last sentence is in Swahili! And by the way ,this is just the beginning!!!! peace.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Tonybel: 3:54am On Aug 08, 2007
Well, first of all, I have to say that I am very impressed with these pictures. I have always heard Nairobi is a beautiful place, and these pictures have now confirmed that. They are all beautiful pictures, but what surprise me the most being a Canadian (or African Canadian if you will) is seeing an ice hockey rink in the heart of Africa. For anyone familiar with Canada, they know that Ice Hockey is the national sport just as soccer (or football) is in the rest of the world, but I hate hockey. My friends always wonder why, I told them, we do not play hockey in Africa, and that one will never find a hockey rink in anywhere in Africa. Well, it turns out, I was wrong smiley.
I think it is time to swallow my pride and show them those lovely pics including the Ice Hockey Rink. I think if most African States, emulate Kenya, Africa will be a much better place.

4 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 9ja4eva: 4:34am On Aug 08, 2007
mushki:

i don't think there's any contention that poverty , slums, human suffering etc exist there but come on africans can we tell the other stories other than what bbc, cnn , feed the children , world vision etc have majored in portraying?
For all those posting pics of beautiful african places thumbs up! If i want pics of kids with flies in their noses and eyes too hungry to swat away i know where to find those not on nairaland please.

I feel u.Lets show dem our other side too
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 7:12am On Aug 08, 2007
I am a Kenyan, living and working in Nairobi. Pictures speaks for themselves. Apart from the negative publicity by international news agency about Nai, as we call it here, it is the most beautiful city in Africa. These are the true pictures of the City. Nai can only compete with cities like Cape Town. Not even J'burg can compete with this city. A foreign journalist once referred this city as 'New York' of Africa, With its connection to many parts of the world, its the gateway to Africa. Our own vibrant national carrier can only competes with the likes of Emirates, British Aiways, Virgin Atlantic and Qatar Airlines which they operate thrice daily flights between London and Nairobi (Kenya airways and British Airways), thrice daily flights between Nairobi and Dubai (Kenya airways (KQ) and Emirates) the list is endless, with connections to more than 30 cities in Africa from its Nairobi hub, KQ link Africa to the world, so tell me with this kind of airlines making Nairobi as regional offices, what can prevent Nairobi from developing as a World class city? Is there a national carrier for Nigeria? I once heard it collapsed!

Further more Nairobi is ranked as one of the best African cities with Cape Town, Cairo and J'burg, where is Lagos in the list? Because we offer world class indeginous shopping malls. Take for example the SA companies which have dominated other African countries like Shoprite, MTN, Vodacom and many others, u wont find any of this in Kenya because there are Kenyan world class companies.

Kenyan supermarket chains like Nakumatt and Uchumi are expanding to other African countries to compete with South Africans.

While castle beer brand has dominated other African markets, it not the case in Kenya, where the Nairobi product Tusker is fast becoming the African beer brand.

Furthermore, it is the only city in Africa with an Ice hockey rink, soon we will be having ice hockey team in world championships and olympics, we say 'play ice hockey in the equator'!

You gotta visit Nairobi to prove it yourself! kiss tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ndipe(m): 10:21pm On Aug 08, 2007
So, what if I declare that Nairobi looks nicer and posher than Lagos and Abuja, does that officially make me a hater of Nigeria, based on the fact that that someone earlier asserted that some Nigerians are too critical of their country. Nairobi relies on tourism and has suceeded in transforming their country into a stable and prosperous country. Nigeria, with our oil, has failed woefully in that regard.

2 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Tsimba(m): 2:12pm On Aug 09, 2007
I totally agree nairobi is indeed a beautiful city but other african cities are not badly off.  long live Africa,  grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by presido1: 10:34pm On Aug 09, 2007
Beutiful city never thought as much.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by larger20(m): 1:42am On Aug 10, 2007
It is beautiful but if you pay close attention to the adds by google at the bottom of this page web page and thread, its all about poverty in africa and donations to help africa. Its not like something is wrong with it but negativities are more portrayed in the media than the goodness in US, This is just my comment
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by larger20(m): 1:43am On Aug 10, 2007
lovesaint:

WELL I THINK THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS SINCE You WANT TO KNOW I ARRANGE SOUTH AFRICAN PASPORTS GENUINE AND NO UPFRONT PAYMENT.THE PASSPORT IS VISA FREE TO 96 COUNTRIES.IF YOU ARE INERESTED CALL ME OR EMAIL ME TO ARRANGE WEN YOU CAN COME TO OUR OFFICE IN LAGOS.IT TAKES TWO WEEKS AND IS ALMOST 200,000 NAIRA.WELL IF YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION E-MAIL cynthia_wyss@yahoo.com,0803715907

Hey never a good idea to leave your e-mail like this, u might get scam mails fron naija boys
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Tonybel: 1:49am On Aug 10, 2007
Yeah Ropie, I will heed your advice and visit Nairobi someday, infact not only Nairobi, I heard Mombasa is also a beautiful place, and of course who can come to Kenya and not see some wildlife. And, I can't wait for the Kenya Hockey team to come and kick some asses in an international competition.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 6:17am On Aug 10, 2007
@Tonybel: Wel come to Kenya, Mombasa is just another gr8 coastal city, 4rm South Coast to North Coast, Mombasa Island to Mainland connected by superb bridges and ferries, with world class hotels and beaches, 45 minutes flight btw Nairobi's JKIA and Mombasa Moi International Airport, the largest port in East and Central Africa, it serves Kenya, Northern Tanzania, Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda, DR Congo, Rwanda and Burundi. Its just another great Kenyan City and it's Kenya's second largest city.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Tats(m): 6:59pm On Aug 15, 2007
larger_20:

Hey never a good idea to leave your e-mail like this, u might get scam mails fron naija boys

Is the deal the person seem to be offering legal? Such a person is definitely not scared to drop an e-mail and fear for scammers.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Kagiri: 8:45pm On Aug 16, 2007
Let's all remember we are talking about an African city,with African leadership & tribal line politics.To say least, the face of Nairobi has changed to better.about the slums, we should accept that much has been done about this, notably CDF & LATF.I choose to blame the local leadership on this.I notice all slums fall under the constituencies of Stiff Government critics,who are less concern with development.on the contrary they seem to enjoy a lot of support from the slum dwellers,who happen to belong to the same tribes. eg Kibera,Kawangware &Kangemi.We all need to work together in-order to achieve & share sincere politic & leadership.London, Brussels,Helsinki or New york, where made by level headed people.That way we can achieve Vision 2030.

Sweden.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by igbonla(m): 9:35am On Aug 17, 2007
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 11:34am On Aug 17, 2007
igbonla:

How/where exactly do you start planning for a trip to Nairabi? How are the people?

Book an hotel of which there are so many choices from 2 stars to luxurious five stars, depends on ur financial status, book a Kenya Airways flight in Lagos, n of course look for a person to show u arnd or book a tours n travel agent. The pple here are very social, u will make more frnds, rem. the main dish for Kenyan revelers is nyama choma (roast meat), n da best place to have this is Carnivore Restaurant, one of the world's best meat places, second to none in Africa as per the latest worlds statistics, This is the place where Nairobians jam on wknds.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by tectona(m): 2:27pm On Aug 17, 2007
well you got a point man. i get so pissed when i see those kids with flies perching their noses on CNN and BBC. i kinda of wonder what the hoot is wrong with this assholes. angry
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Banderas(m): 2:35pm On Aug 17, 2007
1 - Nigeria has two major cities, Lagos and Abuja
2- Kenya has a slum that's waaay bigger than anything Naija has to offer, despite the fact that Nigeria has at least 5 times the population of Kenya.

Don't be selective in your opinions.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by nyorafranc(f): 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2007
Hi traveller,
Thank you so much for your beautiful pics of Gicuka - a Kikuyu word for Nairobi. They were breadthtaking. Loved, loved, loved them. Made those away from home nostalgic with meloncholy. Again thank you.
PS: What was the model of the camera you used. I too would love to own one or a similar one.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by nyorafranc(f): 7:08pm On Aug 19, 2007
If you did not know that Kenya had slums, and if you have not seen Kenyan slums from international TV to movies such as Constant Gardner, then I do not know what rock you have been under.

Apart from the fact that every city in the world has her slums/ghetos/squarts or whatever you call the 'ugly side of the city', Kenya has been home for hundreds of thousands of refugees from all over Africa since early 1960s. These refugees have come, among other countries, from Rwanda, Uganda, Zaire, Congo, Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan. Most of these refugees not only become slum dwellers but are a heavy burden on Kenyan taxpayer. However, it is not often one hears of the Kenyan citizens complaining of this burden. The Kenyan people are some of the most hospitable people in Africa. So, for once, let us enjoy any part of the country that bears any beauty without reminding us of what we already very well know.

I think all Africans have come a long way. Every African country has a lot to be proud of. We Africans took up over other peoples' way of life and we are not doing such a bad job with the difficult change. Some of the European countries have been in existance for hundrends of years. Africa has only been doing the western 'thing' for a few decades. Let us not be too hard on ourselves. I think Nigeria has done a very good job in leading the rest of Africa considering how overpopulated the country is. We in Kenya look up and admire Nigeria in how they have managed to retain their cultural costumes and ways. What we need to cultivate is love for each other and less criticism. We also need to exchange cultures and help each other in creating abetter tomorrow for our children.

2 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 6:23am On Aug 20, 2007
Furthermore, most of the slum dwellers are refugees, who come an put up shant structures.
Very soon slums will b a thing of the past as we are arguing residential six storey flats are being build by the government to accommodate slum dwellers, in fact some houses which accommodate more than 500 families has bn completed in Kibera slum.

To adds Nairobi its beauty, plans are at an advanced stage to make it 24 hr city joining the leagues of New York and Hong Kong cities. Already some shopping malls and supermarkets are open 24 hrs and one Koinange str. Nairobi's red light district will b the first to become 24 hr street.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by nyorafranc(f): 8:27am On Aug 20, 2007
Visit Misterseed.com to see what some ignorants are saying about this.

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pitz(f): 3:38pm On Aug 21, 2007
hav to say being east african dint know there was such beauty close by but am impressed so next time am in kenya wil take a look around instead of stayn at the airport. SO proud to b AFRICAN
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ernal(m): 9:47pm On Aug 21, 2007
anyone knows the procedure to obtain a kenyan visa for the purpose of a conference and how long does it takes.thanks
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ernal(m): 9:49pm On Aug 21, 2007
anyone knows the procedure to obtain a kenyan visa for the purpose of a conference and how long does it takes.thanks
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 10:59am On Aug 22, 2007
ernal:

Go to Kenya High Commission and u will get all the information.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 1:29pm On Aug 22, 2007
More of Nairobi @night

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ralvy(m): 5:02pm On Aug 22, 2007
LOVELYYYYYYYYYY COUNTRY

Pls Village pix, every country has their own Ajegunle, oops! grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by champredd(m): 6:42pm On Aug 22, 2007
I get your beef Ralvy

These Kenyans are just being patriotic, Kenya has the largest slum in Africa.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by SinginChic: 8:21pm On Aug 22, 2007
Unfortunately, my friends, the grass always seems greener on the other side. londoner is right about the rose-coloured glasses.  cool

What we are seeing is the result of Western colonisation, which has once again reared its ugly head all over the non-Western world.  sad

The skyscrapers and high-rise buildings have been placed there, not by the wealthy African, but by the greedy Westerner, and are, in my opinion, the ugliest sight on the planet.  undecided

Africa already had a beautiful heritage in place. It does not need to change. What does need to change, however, is the attitude towards the poor fellow Africans, who just happen to live in those 'ugly' slums. Surely it is up to Africa, to solve Africa's problems, ? Why do we have to rely on the favours of outsiders, who, in the name of 'progress', are only trying (once again) to muscle their way in and create slaves, this time without whips and shackles, but armed with 'charitable smiles' instead, ?  angry

Yes, Nairobi is a beautiful East African city. It always was. We do not need big ugly white-owned buildings to tell us that. We do not need 'Pop Idol' to remind us of the plight of our own poor, hungry people. We should already be aware of the difficulties they face, and try to solve them, ON OUR OWN.  cry

As for oil and natural gas, don't say it too loud - Mr Bush might hear you and threaten to attack!!!  shocked cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 6:18am On Aug 23, 2007
@singingchic: For ur information, 95% of the building Nairobi City are owned by Kenyans. Examples: Times Tower, Nairobis Tallest building and ranked among the top-ten tallest buildings in Africa and the tallest building in Africa outside South Africa n Egypt is owned by Central Bank of Kenya and is the HQs of the taxman, Kenya Revenue Authority. Others are 120M high Telkom Kenya owned Telposta Tower, 115m high State owned KICC, Social Security hse owned by National Social Security Fund (NSSF), View Park Towers, Anniversary Towers, Posta Sacco Hse the lists is endless. The only foreign owned tallest building is Hilton Hotel.

Here is the view of Times Tower

1 Share

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 9ja4eva: 5:37pm On Aug 26, 2007
I go check Kenya soon

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.