Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,123 members, 7,852,811 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:18 AM

Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) (17147 Views)

Borno Commissioner, Ibrahim Garba, & A Woman Found Dead In Guest House / Mr. Macaroni Sues A Tinubu & APC Supporter For Defamation / Bandits Kidnap Ibrahim Garba Musa (Perm Sec) & Granddaughter In Niger State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by engrj(m): 8:05am On Apr 16, 2019
DEAR ALL, KINDLY READ, DONATE AND SHARE.

Nairalanders pls sorry to bother you all again my hope was on my state governor but he gave us just 1m naira.

Please nairalanders help me to share this story in all your social media handles people only respond to a viral story.
Help me this month of April make it 1yr my mother was diagnosed with kidney disease and she has been on dialysis since then. Pls read.

My Mother needs N12M for a kidney transplant in India. ( We have 1m Naira donated by Mr. Governor of Edo state) 

My mother Akhare Flora Olochemeuan a staff of Ikpoba Okha Local council Edo state, a 48years old woman from Edo state was diagnosed of end stage rena failure ( kidney disease) around April last year. She is a single mother of one. Now she has her only child for survival. She has been going for dialysis since April last year. Each dialysis cost around N43,000 to N100,000 plus injections and sometimes blood transfusion. (twice a week)

She was told by her Dr at Lagos State teaching hospital LASUTH that the only lasting solution for her ill health is to go for a kidney transplant. This can be done here in Lagos State teaching hospital LASUTH or India. 
Please we are begging everyone to contribute even though is just N1,000. 
Note: N1000 from 11000 people is eleven million Naira. 
Please help save a Life.

We have all the necessary documents to backup this story. Thank you and God Almighty Bless you all Amen. 
For verification, this is a link to it on national newspapers.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/kidney-disease-patients-husband-flees.html

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/11/man-seeks-n8m-for-m

For update read more here on this link I have supplied enough evidence here
https://www.nairaland.com/4443372/please-save-mothers-life-shes/6.

Mods show some Mercy please

My contact+2348064. 945586

Account name :AKHARE FLORA O.
Bank Name: First Bank.
ACCOUNT NUMBER 2009301003.

This is the only video I can upload here via YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRE03mItY1c
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by davenaija: 8:05am On Apr 16, 2019
They've ruined this guy's life. Adaibeku say something

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by 9gerian: 8:07am On Apr 16, 2019
In a country where the trial of terrorists take forever, and some are even freed under very suspicious circumstances and programs...

I am not saying the man should not be punished if found guilty of criminal defamation, but there has to be some balancing acts to ensure justice for all Nigerians (regardless of public status), including victims of terrorist attacks, which should carry an effective type of capital punishment to deter others.

Our judicial system does need upgrading / overhauling...

ELVISHOT:
Social media commentator, Ibrahim Garba Wala, has been sentenced to 12 years imprisonment over offences bordering on criminal defamation and public incitement.

Justice Yusuf Halilu of a High Court sitting in Maitama, Abuja, on Monday, convicted Wala, who is the convener of Citizens Action to Take Back Nigeria (CATBAN) in 3 of the 4-count charges brought against him by the office of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF).

Justice Halilu convicted him fo managing unlawful association, public incitement and defamation of character over social media posts against the chairman of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), Abdullahi Muhammed.

The NAHCON boss had alleged that Wala used his Facebook page to incite the public against him and defame him and that of the commission.

The court agreed with the prosecution that Wala criminally defamed Muhammed after he alleged that the NAHCON boss “made N3 billion for himself” from the 2017 Hajj operations.

The judge said Wala wrote on his Facebook page that he has documents to prove the allegation, but failed to provide the document to prove his claims in court.

See more details below

Source:

http://www.thenaijafame.com.ng/2019/04/social-media-commentator-ibrahim-garba.html?m=1
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by GavelSlam: 8:08am On Apr 16, 2019
SarkinYarki:
Ironically this same IG wala used this same Facebook page to malign GEJ while supporting Buhari in 2014 but as karma will have it the same APC now wants to jail him for 12 years for trying to expose them

Proof?
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by Lovelyn451(f): 8:08am On Apr 16, 2019
Hope the accusation has been proved wrong before arresting him
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by omohayek: 8:17am On Apr 16, 2019
bigpicture001:

Is there no soft jail term on Nigeria judiciart books....must everything be over ten years...? did he kill anyone or almost killed anyone...?

What happened to 18 months, 6 months, 24months, two months...etc....if it's celeriac ibru, or politicians, it will be 8 summative,years running concurrently.....
I agree. If Wala had committed manslaughter or something as serious, but 12 years for something like this is utterly ridiculous! I bet the same court wouldn't even have handed the man 6 years if he'd been caught stealing tens of millions of US Dollars from the public purse - just look at the kid gloves with which crooks like Bode George are treated.

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by badman007(m): 8:19am On Apr 16, 2019
sapele914:
I know those propaganda pdp machineries will be thinking critically now?

You don't have to support wickedness to justify your love for Buhari. You should be doing some thinking too.

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by Jman06(m): 8:21am On Apr 16, 2019
This ruling is too harsh! Haba!

Even armed robbers don't get sentenced to this number of years in jail most times.

Something must be wrong somewhere.

Hope he can still appeal this judgment
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by midolian(m): 8:31am On Apr 16, 2019
bigpicture001:

Is there no soft jail term on Nigeria judiciart books....must everything be over ten years...? did he kill anyone or almost killed anyone...?

What happened to 18 months, 6 months, 24months, two months...etc....if it's celeriac ibru, or politicians, it will be 8 summative,years running concurrently.....
why not go and be the judge?

It seems you have no idea the damage his posts can do. Smh

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by CyberWolf: 8:39am On Apr 16, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

GEJ is a hero and a father of modern democracy in Nigeria
He is not hero of anything except docility and foolishness.

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by Adaibeku(f): 8:49am On Apr 16, 2019
davenaija:
They've ruined this guy's life. Adaibeku say something
Dave u again ?
Ar u new here?
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by RoyalUc(m): 8:53am On Apr 16, 2019
badman007:

You don't have to support wickedness to justify your love for Buhari. You should be doing some thinking too.

I think you are the one supporting wickedness to justify your hate for Buhari.
Did you read this post?
You may not know the damage such careless, frivolous, libelous acts could do to a man's life until you get up there and one useless, careless entity makes you a target...

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by mapet: 9:02am On Apr 16, 2019
khalifjgusau:
The ruling is suspicious and this is a threat to any concern citizen who wants things to be done in a right way...

Talking about doing things the right way, can we start with addressing this

The judge said Wala wrote on his Facebook page that he has documents to prove the allegation, but failed to provide the document to prove his claims in court.

3 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by mapet: 9:03am On Apr 16, 2019
SmartyPants:

12 years is extreme for libel.

Nope. It is not.

We need to understand the grave consequences of libel

2 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by mapet: 9:06am On Apr 16, 2019
bigpicture001:

Yes, in a way he almost did.

What if someone had erroneously shot the accused for what they though was the true picture? What if the accused was fired, or suspended and his health was affected and he died. What will we say afterwards?

2 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 16, 2019
omohayek:

I agree. If Wala had committed manslaughter or something as serious, but 12 years for something like this is utterly ridiculous! I bet the same court wouldn't even have handed the man 6 years if he'd been caught stealing tens of millions of US Dollars from the public purse - just look at the kid gloves with which crooks like Bode George are treated.

The guy did not commit manslaughter...but he falsely accused a government official of being a thief, falsely claimed he had documents proving he was a thief, and posted his claims on social media.

Making false claims is very serious.

In the USA....a guy called the police and falsely accused his 'enemy'...someone he had issues with over a computer game...of crime. The police stormed the enemy's house and killed him. All because of false accusations.

You don't know how serious libel is. Someone could have been jailed because of lies.

May it never happen to you or anyone else.

2 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by mapet: 9:09am On Apr 16, 2019
9gerian:
In a country where the trial of terrorists take forever, and some are even freed under very suspicious circumstances and programs...

I am not saying the man should not be punished if found guilty of criminal defamation, but there has to be some balancing acts to ensure justice for all Nigerians (regardless of public status), including victims of terrorist attacks, which should carry an effective type of capital punishment to deter others.

Our judicial system does need upgrading / overhauling...

If you're truly about justice for all, then you will not condemn justice being dispensed correctly in a case because of other cases where justice is yet to be truly dispense. Address each by its merit. Is this liable case properly executed and justice done? YES.

3 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by omohayek: 9:14am On Apr 16, 2019
tactius:

The guy did not commit manslaughter...but he falsely accused a government official of being a thief, falsely claimed he had documents proving he was a thief, and posted his claims on social media.

Making false claims is very serious.

In the USA....a guy called the police and falsely accused his 'enemy'...someone he had issues with over a computer game...of crime. The police stormed the enemy's house and killed him. All because of false accusations.

You don't know how serious libel is. Someone could have been jailed because of lies.

May it never happen to you or anyone else.
I know perfectly well how serious libel is - probably far better than you do - and I also know that in the USA, the UK and other countries with similar legal systems, this ridiculous abortion of a sentence would never have been passed down, as judges there have a proper sense of proportion. A 12 year sentence for libel is utterly absurd, and the judge who passed it should be disrobed.
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by SmartyPants(m): 9:25am On Apr 16, 2019
mapet:

Nope. It is not.

We need to understand the grave consequences of libel

Of course it is. What does section 375 of the Criminal Code Act of Nigeria say?

Maximum sentence is 2 years

Enlighten yourself before commenting in the public sphere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by Nobody: 9:27am On Apr 16, 2019
SarkinYarki:
Ironically this same IG wala used this same Facebook page to malign GEJ while supporting Buhari in 2014 but as karma will have it the same APC now wants to jail him for 12 years for trying to expose them

Meaning he has always been objective

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by Frankwillams20: 9:33am On Apr 16, 2019
See below
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:38am On Apr 16, 2019
CyberWolf:
He is not hero of anything except docility and foolishness.
Whatever you choose to call him, he is far better than Buhari

He surrounded himself with Northerners desperate for power at all cost, him thinking that carrying them along is the best

But we all saw how that fared undecided
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by omohayek: 9:45am On Apr 16, 2019
SmartyPants:

Of course it is. What does section 375 of the Criminal Code Act of Nigeria say?

Maximum sentence is 2 years

Enlighten yourself before commenting in the public sphere.
Thank you for injecting some hard facts into the argument: anyone who defends this ridiculous sentence is either incurably ignorant or acting from base partisan motives. If there were any justice in the world, this "judge" would be removed from office asap.

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by danjalingo: 9:47am On Apr 16, 2019
How can he say he has proofs but could not provide them at the end of the day? He thinks this is GEJ's regime? The should increase his jail term, rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by passey: 10:04am On Apr 16, 2019
The guy is desperate sha...
Na so malicious lie him go dey manufacture against people to gain attention.
And he is a lawyer ooo

Remember how he staged a rescue of some girls from book haram in FGGC Bajoga

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by badman007(m): 10:07am On Apr 16, 2019
RoyalUc:

Did you read this post?
You may not know the damage such careless, frivolous, libelous acts could do to a man's life until you get up there and one useless, careless entity makes you a target...

same thing they said when they killed Ken Saro-Wiwa.
Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by badman007(m): 10:10am On Apr 16, 2019
RoyalUc:

Did you read this post?

You shamelessly try to justify 12 years prison sentence for libel, how many years should Buhari get for what he has done to The Shiite commander?

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by RoyalUc(m): 10:22am On Apr 16, 2019
badman007:

You shamelessly try to justify 12 years prison sentence for libel, how many years should Buhari get for what he has done to The Shiite commander?

What exactly is your problem? That someone went to social media, accused someone of wrong doings, claiming he has proof but failed to provide it in court and was sentenced or the judge committed an offence for sentencing him based on arguments and counter arguments?

Bro. I am very sure if you were the victim, you will be singing a different song

2 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Garba Wala Bags 12 Years In Jail For Defamation And Incitement(pic) by RoyalUc(m): 10:24am On Apr 16, 2019
badman007:

same thing they said when they killed Ken Saro-Wiwa.

Concerning the case at hand, was it wrong to prosecute him in court?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo To Buhari: Banditry Is Happening At Your Backyard / Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion / No Gree For Terrorists’ In 2024, DHQ Urges Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.