Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,661 members, 7,813,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope (18711 Views)

I Don't Receive Pension From Abia Government — Ex-Governor Ikpeazu / Pictures Of Tinubu Facing APC Presidential Screening Panel / South-South Never Supported Ojukwu During Biafra War – Ex-Minister, Babatope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by nairavsdollars(f): 6:44am On Apr 29, 2019
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Chief Ebenezer Babatope, former Minister of Transport and member of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, speaks on wide-ranging issues such as restructuring, 2019 elections and other issues. Excerpts:

You were so confident that your party and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar will win the just concluded elections. Were you surprised when the result was announced and President Muhammadu Buhari was declared the winner?

I must confess that I am not surprised that APC manipulated that election. The matter is now before the Tribunal and the PDP has already protested but I knew all the time that APC was going to manipulate the 2019 elections and they did. But that notwithstanding, we have not lost hope.

We believe we will have cause to celebrate when the Tribunal delivers its judgment because the judiciary now is the only hope of the common man and it must ensure that it defends the interest of the common people of this country, otherwise, the country would have lost the right to call itself a democratic nation.

The PDP is relying on the judiciary to reclaim what it called its mandate. Do you think that is possible given the events that led to the resignation of the former Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen?

On the Justice Onnoghen case, honestly speaking, I am so sad about it. Everything about the case was programmed. Why will they suspend and remove Justice Onnoghen at a time this country was preparing for elections?. That is very questionable. Also, when the Code of Conduct Tribunal now gave its judgment, it appears to me that the judgment had long been written. They knew where they were going and they went ahead and sacrificed the man. Apparently, Onnoghen had been condemned by the CCT but I believed very much in my mind that eventually, the last lap belongs to a real democratic Nigeria because like the late Fela Anikulapo-Kuti used to say; democracy is not really in Nigeria. What we have is demon-crazy, crazy demon and demonstration of craze. I also remembered very well that Papa Awolowo when speaking on Nigeria’s affairs in 1983 warned Nigeria that if the democracy of that time should collapse, those of us who are younger than him may never see democracy again. So, what is going on now is the trial of democracy and I do hope that this man (Buhari) will redeem his name and write a golden place for himself in history by ensuring that he plays the role of a statesman that wants to defend democracy.

Don’t you think the performance of APC as a progressive party is largely responsible for its victory in the elections?

The APC call themselves progressives but in actual fact. There is no political party that is progressive in Nigeria today. Anybody who says Papa Obafemi Awolowo would have been a part of them if alive is just saying nonsense and wasting his time.

Awolowo believed very much in the plight of the common people and ensured that they have a fair share in the governance of the country. That is why Nigerians have not forgotten the likes of Awolowo today. Where is the progressivism in APC today? Under their government, people are dying right, left, back and centre in this country and yet they say they are progressives. Anytime I listen to the news in Nigeria today, the first major items are issues relating to killings, kidnappings and mass murder. What kind of progressiveness is that? I want to plead with them that they should kindly put the interest of Nigerians at heart. I am also placing it on record that Nigeria is greater than all of us and therefore we must do everything that will aid the cause of peace, justice and fairness in the country. But as it is now, there is nothing progressive about the APC. They are only progressive by name, not by conduct.

Now that President Buhari has been reelected, what are your expectations from his second term?

Well, he has come back under questionable circumstances and for which I am happy that Atiku Abubakar, our presidential candidate has gone to the Tribunal. Biologically, he is of my age based on the records he has given. He said he is 76 which is my age too. So, on account of that, I don’t expect much from him during his second term due to his age. But again, Nigeria is greater than all of us and we must all wish our country well. Every Nigerian must continue to appeal to the judiciary to ensure that they defend the common man and they sustain the course of democracy in the country. We in Osun state now are looking at the Court of Appeal and we hope that we are going to get a fair hearing. Once the judiciary in this country ensures that the interest of the common man is protected, then there is hope for Nigerians.

The president has also asked his Ministers to submit their report. What is your assessment of the performance of some of his ministers?

I don’t see any miracle any minister can perform in Buhari’s cabinet. Throughout his four years, there is no single cabinet reshuffle and then they are saying he is going to appoint new ones now. I wish him goodluck and we are waiting to see the list he is coming up with.

Some stakeholders recently blamed former president Olusegun Obasanjo for jettisoning the Minority Report of 1976 authored by Dr. Segun Osoba and the late Bala Usman. Do you also share that view?

The minority report of 1976 was a very good report by Bala Usman and Segun Osoba but I don’t think it is good to single out Obasanjo for blame. I am not a friend of Obasanjo. Obasanjo dismissed me in service at the University of Lagos over the ‘Ali Must Go’ protest. It was the Council of the University of Lagos that said I should be retired. Even with the retirement, Obasanjo still refused to mark my service and today, I am a 76 year old Nigerian without any pension benefit. But having said that, I believe that the late Bala Usman and Dr. Segun Osoba wrote a wonderful report but you cannot expect a right-wing government headed by Obasanjo to implement the kind of report written by Bala Usman and Osoba because it was pro-left. They will consider it as an attempt to commit suicide. What we should be thinking about now is how to ensure we have a constitution that reflect the poverty of the Nigerian nation and attempt to solve it. It is not by blaming Obasanjo because the issue has gone past Obasanjo.

Do you think the implementation of the 2014 national conference convened by former president Goodluck Jonathan would have addressed this if implemented by the current administration?

I was a part of the Constitutional conference called by Obasanjo in 2005 but I wasn’t there during the 2014 conference convened by Goodluck Jonathan. The reality is that the powers that be didn’t like the report and they did everything to destroy it. I don’t think they ought to have done that. I think they should have subjected the 2015 conference report to very good scrutiny and use those parts that aid the unity of this country. But they just discarded everything because they didn’t like some part of it. If they can still go back to it, we shall be grateful to God but Buhari will never do such because one of the first things he said when he got to power in 2015 was that we should forget about the conference. I know for sure that he will not implement that report because he believes that that report was too much anti- North. But if they can marry the good aspect of the Jonathan conference with what is happening in Nigeria today, the better for us and I hope Buhari will have a change of mind about his unnecessary rigidity over the question of not having anything to do with the Jonathan conference. We must go back and examine the report of that conference. If we don’t do so, this country may have to go back again and do the right thing by calling another conference which will reflect the true wishes and aspirations of the Nigerian people.

And why do you think someone like Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has not done much about restructuring despite being a key figure in the ruling APC?

I wish Tinubu the best of luck but there may be problems that he is facing now that we may not know. There may be problems that he is facing now in Buhari’s government and it appears to me that he is facing serious problems in APC. It may appear all is well but we know that it is not so. Recently, Tinubu came out and told the federal government not to increase VAT and many Nigerians, including myself are happy with that, however, I want to say that that statement alone may compound his problems within the APC. But having said, let them have a change of heart and join those advocating for restructuring. Restructuring is not a bad political language and I hope that one day, God will touch their hearts and make sure that Nigeria is put on a permanent peace platform.

https://www.independent.ng/tinubu-facing-serious-problems-in-buharis-government-babatope/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Redoil: 6:51am On Apr 29, 2019
The thing be say we yoruba people are easily taking for a ride
1. Awo was promised to be the next president if he assist the north in defeating biafra and he latter died by....
2. Abiola was a very good friend to ibb he even won a free and fair election and was to be crowned the president only for them to do the needful to him.
3. History is the sturdy of the past to know the present and to determine the future.
Tinubu should learn from the mistakes of yoruba men who came be4 him and were slaughtered like ...... Just to retain power.
4. We yoruba people are too dull to tag along or do any busines with the north.
5. Tinub we love you
(opolo eye no be open eye and if are new in this make u pay tithe)
Buhariadvocate seunmsg ur attention is need hear tinubu is under attack

34 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by hisexcellency34: 6:54am On Apr 29, 2019
We warned him but he refused to listen. I hope the man won't end up like his brother, MKO Abiola

11 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Honor10: 7:02am On Apr 29, 2019
wow! Tinubu is really a Jagaban, the way people talk and fear him these days.

Tinubu that is not holding any public positions yet more relevant that most governors and senators.

The husband of Okoros(they fear that man pa)

Jagaban of west Africa

39 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Honor10: 7:03am On Apr 29, 2019
Redoil:
The thing be say yoruba people are easily taking for a ride
1. Awo was promised to be the next president if he assist the north in defeating biafra and he latter died by....
2. Abiola was a very good friend to ibb he even won a free and fair election and was to be crowned the president only for them to do the needful to him.

Don't u think u should worry about ur Biafra land that is bn swept away by erosion and leave yorubas and Tinubu to worry about themselves.

if their is any group of people that is been taken for a ride in Nigeria it is Ibos, PDP has enslave ur tribe so tey they only use u to gather votes, they won't give u the presidency, and the most funny thing is that u av agree to be thier slaves, u lot are already planning to lick thier yansh in 2023 as u av done to Atiku. If their are group of people that should be called slaves in Nigeria politics it is Ibo.

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:05am On Apr 29, 2019
Redoil:
The thing be say yoruba people are easily taking for a ride

And it seems they haven't learnt their lesson yet??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:07am On Apr 29, 2019
Aso Rock Cabals will do anything to truncate Tinubu 2023 presidential ambition.

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Nobody: 7:09am On Apr 29, 2019
Just what if APC fields a NE/SE candidate in 2023?

- What would be PDP's strength?
- What would be SW plan B despite loathing PDP and a deeply divide south?
- SS are not very keen now on either positions?
- Nepotism critics then would be asked about Buhari's time...
- Restructure critics then would be asked about Buhari's time...
- Article critics would be called propagandists...
- Kidnaps and killings reportage would be seen as opposition...
- The SE may soft pedal since it's not Buhari or El-rufai, same for SS. While maybe NC shoots for Senate while SS shoots for Speaker or vice versa.

Moral of the opinion: Dont set bad precedence just because you maybe in power or close to it, table turn in life.

Moreover dont take Nigerian politics extra serious, you might just end up in the middle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Realtord43: 7:14am On Apr 29, 2019
Tinubu can only be afonja(southwest) president cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by BuhariAdvocate: 7:23am On Apr 29, 2019
Lol pdp just know what they call common man,na so time dey change. This old man have step up to take over the spirit of nuisance from fani kayode and Rino ,dude just dey talk anyhow these days

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by seunmsg(m): 7:25am On Apr 29, 2019
They can’t just stop talking about Tinubu. Everybody from the north to the east to the west seems to have an opinion about Tinubu. Is Tinubu the only politician in Nigeria?

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Redoil: 7:30am On Apr 29, 2019
Honor10:

Don't u think u should worry about ur Biafra land that is bn swept away by erosion and leave yorubas and Tinubu to worry about themselves.

if their is any group of people that is been taken for a ride in Nigeria it is Ibos, PDP has enslave ur tribe so tey they only use u to gather votes, they won't give u the presidency, and the most funny thing is that u av agree to be thier slaves, u lot are already planning to lick thier yansh in 2023 as u av done to Atiku. If their are group of people that should be called slaves in Nigeria politics it is Ibo.
exactly the same words were to told to abiola and awolowo
Be sincere where are they now.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Honor10: 7:37am On Apr 29, 2019
Redoil:
exactly the same words were to told to abiola and awolowo
Be sincere where are they now.

What Abiola and Awolowo achieve, no one in your generation will be able to achieve that, till world end. When Awolowo introduce free education in SW, ur people are still walking naked, hiding in the cave and learning how to make human sounds. Awolowo is not your papa's mate.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Redoil: 7:48am On Apr 29, 2019
Honor10:

What Abiola and Awolowo achieve, no one in your generation will be able to achieve that, till world end. When Awolowo introduce free education in SW, ur people are still walking naked, hiding in the cave and learning how to make human sounds. Awolowo is not your papa's mate.
i will suggest you leave insult and gutter words to unciviled people and please try as much as you can to be serious, civil and cultured when discussin in a public forum c'est finis and ciao

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Honor10: 7:52am On Apr 29, 2019
Redoil:
i will suggest you leave insult and gutter words to unciviled people and please try as much as you can to be serious, civil and cultured when discussin in a public forum c'est finis and ciao

sorry, I know it is painful, but it is the truth.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by hisexcellency34: 8:11am On Apr 29, 2019
Leave story

Honor10:

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by MrRhymes101(m): 8:14am On Apr 29, 2019
Politics is scary in this part of the world... Wedding MC

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by tomdon(m): 8:14am On Apr 29, 2019
Why do many people want this man to have problem gaan

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by Dshocker(m): 8:15am On Apr 29, 2019
Bola Ahmed Adekunle Tinubu has a big greedy eyes in reality...And they say "okpolo eye,no be open eye".

May northern Nigeria use him and dump him like a piece of rag.
Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by SoftP(m): 8:15am On Apr 29, 2019
S
Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by kaen1317: 8:16am On Apr 29, 2019
He has seen nothing yet. Serves him right.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by eben1marketer: 8:17am On Apr 29, 2019
grin
Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by ntyce(m): 8:18am On Apr 29, 2019
Why do they keep mentioning Tinubu left, right and centre?

Despite having left office 12 years ago, he still remains a cankerworm for PDP....

9 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by iammo(m): 8:18am On Apr 29, 2019
grin

PDP pigz and their piglets are so foolish to concentrate on Tinubu, forgeting 2023 is also open for Osinbajo and Fashola... by the time tinubu plays his card close to 2023, it would be too late for them.

Some of our IGBO developer blodas are so concerned about everything Tinubu and Southwest, that they dont even have any political ambition or Agenda, Awon NFA

lets settle it once and for all, Igbo vs Yoruba 2023, let seperate the men from the boys. Even if Igbos like they should feild Sultan of sokoto and Igbo vice, Yoruba is running 2023, lets see who's got the balls, the money and the smartness

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by fasho01(m): 8:18am On Apr 29, 2019
Tinubu be trending these days in politics like Regina Daniel abi Nwodo in entertainment

Abeg they should leave him alone jare

10 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by BuhariAdvocate: 8:19am On Apr 29, 2019
shocked the op must have done this under the influence of alcohol.
Redoil:
3. History is the sturdy of the past to know the present and to determine the future.
Tinubu should learn from the mistakes of yoruba men who came be4 him and were slaughtered like ...... Just to retain power.
5. Tinub we love you

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by KingLennon(m): 8:19am On Apr 29, 2019
Demon-Crazy grin. The crazy Demon has infected all the government cabals starting from the man at Aso-rock.
Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by davodyguy: 8:19am On Apr 29, 2019
The man said the judiciary is the hope of the common man. Is Atiku a common man? Cause Atiku is Rich enough to bribe his way to get anything done

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by davodyguy: 8:21am On Apr 29, 2019
Redoil:
5. Tinub we love you
Enough of this childishness. Your post reveals your identity as an IPOB � and shows how ignorant you are about politics.

You think if power doesn't return to the South West Yoruba people would support APC? Don't be fooled. Igbos don't know how to play politics, that's why they can't return to power.

OBJ Yoruba ruled from 1976 to 79, came back to rule for 8 years, Osinbajo Has done 4 years as VP and was acting president for more than 6 months with 4 years and he's about to be sworn in for another 4 years as VP. It is also likely that Buhari would fall sick and he would rule in his stead.

Stop talking trash

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Facing Serious Problems In Buhari’s Government–ex-minister Babatope by 9gerian: 8:21am On Apr 29, 2019
Plenty pseudo-names... crying more than the bereaved cheesy

Redoil:
5. Tinub we love you

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Makinde, Deputy’s Rift Deepens South-West PDP’s Crisis / Tinubu Supporters Await His Arrival At APC Campaign Rally In Borno / South-south And South-East Governors Meet In Rivers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.