Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,557 members, 7,816,349 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? (77069 Views)

Which Country Can I Move To Legally With ₦10M? / After 7 Million Naira Savings, What Is NEXT, UK Or Canada? / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by yesloaded: 12:35am On May 14, 2019
abbey621:
Your orientation is too pessimistic for my liking, in fact your mindset is directly correlated to your predicament. People gave you options of U.K, Canada and you've shot down every suggestion because of your preconceived notions. Let me tell you it is not easy to find or keep professional jobs anywhere, yea you have a degree, SO WHAT? Millions of people have the same degree, millions more have the work experience, so tell me why should THEY PICK YOU OVER THEM? What separates you from the herd? The opportunities you are looking for can be found in germany, U.K or Canada, better leave that mindset that Africans are lowest on the totem pole when it comes to professional jobs, that's pure hogwash! Do you even network? Have you volunteered at organizations? Sometimes it's not the job that matters but getting one foot in the door. You can start at entry level and get promoted easily because of your degree and work ethics. My friend, WAKE UP!
One of the best contribution

To me, op needs to wake up to reality

Well, maybe because he's 25yrs old boy anyway otherwise how could he thinks he should start from the top?

Although we all aim higher & its not a crime to think/dream big but at least one needs to start from somewhere

Nowhere on earth is easy, money is not picked on the floor anywhere in this planet!

I respect his stands about not wanting to marry the girl just because she's not her type its good decision because we need to think beyond today.

Goodluck to us & thanks for your wonderful contribution

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by TheStarsAlign: 12:37am On May 14, 2019
NaijaElba:

baba job dey that side?

Baba, abeg I need info.
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by grandstar(m): 12:39am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

I made the decision to return to Nigeria, harness my skills and start up a processing company. At 25 and the sole breadwinner of an extended family, they are asking me to stay put, saying that the Nigerian environment is not good for business (I feel they are only scared of losing out on the goodies they get from me).

Also last year, the family introduced me to a female in the UK, talking about marriage to her. The said lady is a Nigerian within my age range, but born and raised in the UK. Though I have been to the UK severally to see her, I have made no commitments whatsoever as she is not the kind of lady I would marry all things being equal. She and the family have however given me a ultimatum to decide now.

What do you advice?

First, don't marry the girl

Your best bet is that use your German masters degree to apply for jobs all over the world. I believ their
certificates are recognised globally.

Coming back is dangerous. Economic growth rate is presently low and many can't find work. The economy is going through what they call a weak recovery and it is estimated that it will be this way for the next 4 years.

Power is also a big power. Germany has the second best infrastructure in the world after Hong Kong. You may find the power supply here trying as it can frustrate your patience and your business..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by bishopkay: 12:42am On May 14, 2019
iammo:
cool

Stay in Germany, till You can sort a better country... Australia, Canada even Uk if you can get a job.., little money you get from menial jobs you get could be channeled into trying other countries skilled migration programs.

That extreme urge you have about Coming to Nigeria, is the work of demons, should you come back without the support of your Family, chaiiiiii you would regret regreting it

I thought you people said buhari has turned Nigeria to London and investors are falling head over heels to come back to the country. You people said buhari has transformed the country abi no be so? Mtxhewww

@op Abeg stay put ooo that spirit moving you to Nigeria is a generational spirit that doesn't want you to succeed. I'd advise you move over to Isreal... there are good opportunities there and even unprofessional jobs there have nice pay packages.

Running a business in Nigeria is not easy ooo believe me

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:42am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

I made the decision to return to Nigeria, harness my skills and start up a processing company. At 25 and the sole breadwinner of an extended family, they are asking me to stay put, saying that the Nigerian environment is not good for business (I feel they are only scared of losing out on the goodies they get from me).

Also last year, the family introduced me to a female in the UK, talking about marriage to her. The said lady is a Nigerian within my age range, but born and raised in the UK. Though I have been to the UK severally to see her, I have made no commitments whatsoever as she is not the kind of lady I would marry all things being equal. She and the family have however given me a ultimatum to decide now.

What do you advice?

I have lived in Manchester for over a year and I understand you perfectly. Alot has been said but it all boils down to what your heart wants. I came back to Nigeria and quite frankly, things have been fine so far. Nevertheless, I would advice that shoud you decide to come to Nigeria, have a solid capital base. You may then purchase profit making instruments from the money market (e.g treasury bills) that will be paying you without having to sweat. When you are certain of a fixed income base to support the inevitable domestic overheads, you will free up your mind to strategically plot your goals on this rugged terrain called Nigeria. There are opportunities in Nigeria but you will need to deligently search for it. It will be very frustrating if you do not have money to keep body and soul one.

I have a cousin studying/that studied computer science in Germany and you sound just like him. If you are from Jos, then you are likely the one. PM me let's discuss.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:44am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

This life ehn. We've got Nigerian students from Canada come to Germany because of lack of skilled opportunities. They say there is discrimination on lack of Canadian degrees and Canadian experience. Also, honest reviews from Quora don't help. It seems many skilled migrants in Canada are also trapped in these same unskilled jobs.

I would have gone to Canada long ago if not for that. I felt the money to be wasted on the processing of the Canadian PR to go get unskilled jobs could be better channelled to my business projects in Nigeria.

Why not start the business project here while still there and it it is profitable even your family will have problems telling u not to come back and run it if you decide. Abandoning Germany to return to this hell hole could be a bad mistake.

As for marriage? Who are you marrying for? You or your family?

Just stand there and let others push you into marriage. When things go wrong see if they take any part in the blame

5 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by bamideleniayo(m): 12:45am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

What do you advice?

Do you people here feel he is over projecting this because he has a Masters Degree or is it just me?

4 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by iammo(m): 12:46am On May 14, 2019
bishopkay:

I thought you people said buhari has turned Nigeria to London and investors are falling head over heels to come back to the country. You people said buhari has transformed the country abi no be so? Mtxhewww

@op Abeg stay put ooo that spirit moving you to Nigeria is a generational spirit that doesn't want you to succeed. I'd advise you move over to Isreal... there are good opportunities there and even unprofessional jobs there have nice pay packages.

Running a business in Nigeria is not easy ooo believe me

Mscheew, buhari is building pdp's messy abandoned project nigeria... anyways how is isreals weather hope not extreme like middle east

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Ohraykon: 12:46am On May 14, 2019
Profkenny1:
1. Do NOT marry that Nigerian girl in the UK. Western women (including Nigerians who have lived in the west for over two years) are selfish, disgusting, evil, vile, and cold-blooded! Marry her if you are ready to become a slave unto her, otherwise she would file DV against you.

2. If you are an Engineer, I would advise you to move to the US - opportunities abound in the US for Engineers!
guy nawa to u so the naija based gurls are better abi u neva jam grin

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Drestar19: 12:48am On May 14, 2019
It appears you are a pauper still leaving in high horse...there are no nigeria professionals in Germany , canada uk ? None is benefiting for a king like you?.. Nigeria thats a dead place.. Watch as they will suck out all the cash you have...in conclusion i think yoy need to get off your high horse..

5 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Babyvet: 12:51am On May 14, 2019
queengift:

There is always a starting point, I guess before you got your nursing job in the US, you once did menial job.
It is that menial job that gave him the money he intends to start business with.

Menial workers here in Nigeria are suffering, can't even feed.

We talking long term . It’s increasingly difficult for African immigrants to get professional jobs especially in the UK and Canada . Are menial workers from Nigeria the ones traveling aboard ?

4 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by bishopkay: 12:52am On May 14, 2019
iammo:

Mscheew, buhari is building pdp's messy abandoned project nigeria... anyways how is isreals weather hope not extreme like middle east

Hahaha are you sure? Perhaps he's building it by killing everyone first and the businesses of those that survive. A man who's admin has caused the highest brain drain ever since the inception of Nigeria.

BTW go ask baba for you share of the 100B when dem give miyetti Allah ooo you can't be supporting him for nothing.

Then Israel's weather is not extreme...It has its moments sha but it's OK

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by JejeNaija(m): 12:54am On May 14, 2019
I have been to some countries including the UK and I can tell you that moving from Germany to UK is still as good as jumping from frying pan to fire because you will not notice any change about your life.
However moving to naija would have been the best bet if you are not thinking of finding a job but rather establishing Your Own well researched business idea.

The competition for jobs in Nigeria is now too high that Germany certificate would not be considered in some firms were people are tendering certificate from UK and USA. Aside this, we have lots of serious First Class and second class upper masters holders who had no opportunity to travel but did very well in Nigeria and still don't have decent jobs.
Why waste your time coming to Nigeria to compete with them, so naija is a no no except you take your time either in Germany or UK to do whatever job you can to save enough money which can enable you come back to naija and become an employer instead of an employee.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 12:56am On May 14, 2019
Okuda:

it depends on the blue collar. you wont get respect as a janitor or dishwasher. confirmed! youl get as a plumber, mechanic, carpenter , farmer and the list goes on and on. but not as a dish washer or janitor.

U see how u display ur ignorance mate
Plumbers ,mechanic etc are tradies
Janitor or kitchen hand are labourers
And yes u are respected equally
It is cos u are atuck in Nigeria you have no idea how the world works

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by lilyheaven: 12:57am On May 14, 2019
Discrimination is everywhere, even here in Nigeria.
Some years back I went to BMH port harcourt to drop my application, the lady I met told me to marry a Rivers man, if I must get the job.
My advice is, if you have saved money for a business, look for a reliable friend to help you start it, not a family member, because you can't sue a family member.

13 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 12:57am On May 14, 2019
lilwetdick:

indeed no one judge you,anyway, what motivation do you have to be ambitious in life except doing menial job, i can see your mentality, so as long that i can do menial job, pay my bill and tax and then live from pay check to pay check then that is comfort..abeg, you are the one not exposed.

i wasnt born to come and do menial jobs in another man country after having a degree, if that is the type of unambitious life you wanna live, you and your exposure should go to hell.

Worst people in life are the ones who are ignorant and never wanna learn ......i hope u re young cos if u are an adult that will be a shame
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Okuda(m): 12:58am On May 14, 2019
nairalanduseles:

U see how u display ur ignorance mate
Plumbers ,mechanic etc are tradies
Janitor or kitchen hand are labourers
And yes u are respected equally
It is cos u are atuck in Nigeria you have no idea how the world works

you furcking have no clue. under what class of collar jobs would you put a mechanic and a janitor? and sorry they are not respected equally. i put that to you once again..

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by aku626(m): 12:59am On May 14, 2019
Nigeria isn’t at it’s best things are not looking promising only God can deliver us here.
Marriage no be joke oh if she isn’t your type just rest o! It’s better you go from one internship to the other than endure the hardship of marriage.
Keep looking for opportunities

6 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Dipville(m): 12:59am On May 14, 2019
Human, wants, insatiable, life

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:01am On May 14, 2019
nairalanduseles:

Worst people in life are the ones who are ignorant and never wanna learn ......i hope u re young cos if u are an adult that will be a shame

abeg i have nothing to learn from someone that is not ambitious ...pls continue washing plates or doing security guard, we all have different ambitions in life

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:02am On May 14, 2019
Okuda:

you furcking have no clue. under what class of collar jobs would you put a mechanic and a janitor?

I am educating u a mechanic is a trade u have to go to college or tafe or even uni to be a mechanic...
And a janitor can be an apprentice or a labourer.....

U wont understand they all accord the same respect in the society.....everyone respects u cos u work

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:02am On May 14, 2019
lilwetdick:

abeg i have nothing to learn from someone that is not ambitious ...pls continue washing plates or doing security guard, we all have different ambitions in life

U re not exposed ppl like u will always be at the bottom of the food chain begging......

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Okuda(m): 1:03am On May 14, 2019
nairalanduseles:

I am educating u a mechanic is a trade u have to go to college or tafe or even uni to be a mechanic...
And a janitor can be an apprentice or a labourer.....

U wont understand they all accord the same respect in the society.....everyone respects u cos u work

if ypu say so. i wont argue much with you..i dont hve that time

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by bishopkay: 1:03am On May 14, 2019
JejeNaija:
I have been to some countries including the UK and I can tell you that moving from Germany to UK is still as good as jumping from frying pan to fire because you will not notice any change about your life.
However moving to naija would have been the best bet if you are not thinking of finding a job but rather establishing Your Own well researched business idea.

The competition for jobs in Nigeria is now too high that Germany certificate would not be considered in some firms were people are tendering certificate from UK and USA. Aside this, we have lots of serious First Class and second class upper masters holders who had no opportunity to travel but did very well in Nigeria and still don't have decent jobs.
Why waste your time coming to Nigeria to compete with them, so naija is a no no except you take your time either in Germany or UK to do whatever job you can to safe enough money which can enable you come back to naija and become an employer instead of an employee.

What is the guarantee his business would flourish in Nigeria? Nigeria under buhari now is like a rat that eats her kids ooo

Running a business in Nigeria under this high multiple taxation environment with is crazy oo. Then you Have the current spate of insecurityon our roads hmmm. If dem kidnap you, that your small capital don go ooo.

Then you have the foolish government who wants everyone to go start tilling the soil and planting cassava and yam in this 21st century as a means of employment. His minister of agriculture is planning to import grass and semen for cattle to eat and fertilize.

Banana republic! The country is on auto pilot and I'd not even advise my worst enemy to come back here to this next level of hopelessness! It's never been this bad. At least before we thought things would be OK...we had hope. But after this animal's first tenure with a second one oncoming, I can only conclude we made a mistake and I regret not leaving far back then

11 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:03am On May 14, 2019
lilwetdick:

Do u have any idea that u need qualifications and tickets to be a security guard and ppl who watch plates are kitchen assistants who are likely gonna be chefs....
U sound so silly now

5 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by JejeNaija(m): 1:04am On May 14, 2019
DanXplore:

I have lived in Manchester for over a year and I understand you perfectly. Alot has been said but it all boils down to what your heart wants. I came back to Nigeria and quite frankly, things have been fine so far. Nevertheless, I would advice that shoud you decide to come to Nigeria, have a solid capital base. You may then purchase profit making instruments from the money market (e.g treasury bills) that will be paying you without having to sweat. When you are certain of a fixed income base to support the inevitable domestic overheads, you will free up your mind to strategically plot your goals on this rugged terrain called Nigeria. There are opportunities in Nigeria but you will need to deligently search for it. It will be very frustrating if you do not have money to keep body and soul one.

I have a cousin studying/that studied computer science in Germany and you sound just like him. If you are from Jos, then you are likely the one. PM me let's discuss.

On point. You said it all. I worked for a Google certified company back then in Manchester called New Approach Marketing. It was a nice corporate job but you can imagine I was the only black there. My boss liked me but hey those Indians and Pakistans are so racist.

13 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:05am On May 14, 2019
Okuda:

if ypu say so. i wont argue much with you..i dont hve that time

Bro we learn everyday don't let this 3rd world mentality deceive u......try and travel

4 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by JejeNaija(m): 1:05am On May 14, 2019
bishopkay:

What is the guarantee his business would flourish in Nigeria? Nigeria under buhari now is like a rat that eats her kids ooo

Running a business in Nigeria under this high multiple taxation environment with is crazy oo. Then you Have the current spate of insecurityon our roads hmmm. If dem kidnap you, that your small capital don go ooo.

Then you have the foolish government who wants everyone to go start tilling the soil and planting cassava and yam in this 21st century as a means of employment. His minister of agriculture is planning to import grass and semen for cattle to eat and fertilize.

Banana republic! The country is on auto pilot and I'd not even advise my worst enemy to come back here to this next level of hopelessness! It's never been this bad. At least before we thought things would be OK...we had hope. But after this animal's first tenure with a second one oncoming, I can only conclude we made a mistake and I regret not leaving far back then

It depends on what he has in mind. Hey so many people are doing really fine in business in Nigeria

6 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:06am On May 14, 2019
lilwetdick:

The average pay for a security guard per hour is $40 an hour and a very respectable job......ignorant man be trying to mock someone who will feed his generation

8 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:08am On May 14, 2019
nairalanduseles:

The average pay for a security guard per hour is $40 an hour and a very respectable job......ignorant man be trying to mock someone who will feed his generation

yes very respectable indeed, continue cooking up stories and dream pays.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

See The Two States In Nigeria You Hardly Hear Of / Traveling To AUSTRIA – My Experience On A Virgin Passport! / 5 Friends Die In A Car Accident While Retuning From Nightclub In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.