Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,534 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? (77082 Views)

Which Country Can I Move To Legally With ₦10M? / After 7 Million Naira Savings, What Is NEXT, UK Or Canada? / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:09am On May 14, 2019
I am not one who usually give advice, however, I would add my two cents to the discussion. First and foremost, you have to decide what career path you would like to take now that you have graduated with a Masters degree...either get into a career in your area of study or start your own business. But either part you choose requires hard work and dedication and you must be willing to put in the effort that is necessary to be successful.

After introspection, assuming you've been bitten by an "entrepreneurial bug" and you have the capital and want to start something for yourself, then go for it. You just have to make sure that you do your due diligence before you jump into any type of business venture either in Germany or in Nigeria or any other place for that matter. But if you decide to get into the corporate world in Germany using your educational qualification, then I advise that you learn the language and be very fluent in it assuming you don't already speak the language.

Nothing endears a visitor to his host more than the visitor's ability to communicate with the host in his language. I am saying this out of my personal experience when I went to China with a bunch of my white colleagues from work. Our Chinese hosts related more to me more than my coworkers. I learned Mandarin and was able to communicate with them. That simple gesture made their life much easier for the fact that they did not have to struggle to express themselves to us since a lot of them did not speak English that well. They saw me as a trusted ally and would tell me things that they could not and did not tell my other colleagues.

Moreover, you can be very successful where ever you are if you have the wherewithal and the opportunity to showcase it. So, don't assume that because other Nigerians you know are not able to pursue their career goal in their field of study in Germany or elsewhere in Europe that their fate would be your lot as well. Always remember, that "life is like a box of chocolate and you never know what you'll get" [Forest Gump]. You have to believe in yourself and your skill set and go for it...no venture no success! Good luck and God bless!!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:10am On May 14, 2019
lilwetdick:

yes very respectable indeed, continue cooking up stories and dream pays.

Bro i wish i was u have google ......check it out am in NSW

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by bishopkay: 1:11am On May 14, 2019
JejeNaija:

It depends on what he has in mind. Hey so many people are doing really fine in business in Nigeria

Yes Bro but you should draw closer to them and ask them believe me they are feeling the heat too ooo. Even billionaires dey feel am.

Perhaps if you have very big capital, you can manage to stay afloat but does the young man have 100 million saved to put in a business?

I know many big names who are just running their businesses so they don't get ridiculed that their business failed. I currently own and run a business worth some millions and Bro believe me...E NO EASY OOOO perhaps you'd see my lamentations on one of the threads I commented on some weeks back LOL

9 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:12am On May 14, 2019
nairalanduseles:

Do u have any idea that u need qualifications and tickets to be a security guard and ppl who watch plates are kitchen assistants who are likely gonna be chefs....
U sound so silly now

yes.... you need a bsc and masters in security guard... what again people that washes plate will also become owners of hotels

can you imagine what is coming out of your brain...you are indeed a low life...argueing about low income jobs when your mates are trying to doctors and lawyers to move up the social ladder.. i dont roll along with menial workers

5 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:15am On May 14, 2019
nairalanduseles:

U re not exposed ppl like u will always be at the bottom of the food chain begging......

lol..you are already at the bottom of the food chain whereever you are..arent you not a black man...

people that havent travel out like you will be spitting nonsense out...

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:16am On May 14, 2019
Go to canada
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:16am On May 14, 2019
nairalanduseles:

Bro i wish i was u have google ......check it out am in NSW

i dont have google, what i have is chrome grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Kingkun69(m): 1:18am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

I made the decision to return to Nigeria, harness my skills and start up a processing company. At 25 and the sole breadwinner of an extended family, they are asking me to stay put, saying that the Nigerian environment is not good for business (I feel they are only scared of losing out on the goodies they get from me).

Also last year, the family introduced me to a female in the UK, talking about marriage to her. The said lady is a Nigerian within my age range, but born and raised in the UK. Though I have been to the UK severally to see her, I have made no commitments whatsoever as she is not the kind of lady I would marry all things being equal. She and the family have however given me a ultimatum to decide now.

What do you advice?

i will ask just 1 question are you very fluent in German? Don't lie

5 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:19am On May 14, 2019
lilwetdick:

yes.... you need a bsc and masters in security guard... what again people that washes plate will also become owners of hotels

can you imagine what is coming out of your brain...you are indeed a low life...argueing about low income jobs when your mates are trying to doctors and lawyers to move up the social ladder.. i dont roll along with menial workers

U call a trade a low income job i give up on u..........do u know how much traides make u silly ignorant monkey
....u fooool .......some tradies make more than doctors....do u know how much tradies charge.....u stuck in ur shithole arguing with someone if u see in real life na chairman u go dey call me

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by sean079: 1:19am On May 14, 2019
Two options here:

- Wed the lady in uk and endure the marriage till u have ur foothold in uk
Stay in Germany and do the menial job if there is guaranty u will have permanent residence or qualify for citizenship after some years

If u want to relocate to Nigeria later or look for professional job elsewhere just make sure u fulfill either of the above options scenerio

While u are in the process do not forget to continue trying ur luck on job hunting

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by JejeNaija(m): 1:22am On May 14, 2019
bishopkay:

Yes Bro but you should draw closer to them and ask them believe me they are feeling the heat too ooo. Even billionaires dey feel am.

Perhaps if you have very big capital, you can manage to stay afloat but does the young man have 100 million saved to put in a business?

I know many big names who are just running their businesses so they don't get ridiculed that their business failed. I currently own and run a business worth some millions and Bro believe me...E NO EASY OOOO perhaps you'd see my lamentations on one of the threads I commented on some weeks back LOL

Sure I do understand your point. Am not trying to insinuate that it's easy in the Nigerian terrain but from his enquiry you will know that running a business in your own country is the best option compared to coming back with the hope for a job.

I do run a busy as well and in as much as its not that easy, I am more comfortable than when I was working in the UK. And just so you know, I never did all those washing plate jobs people are always fund of saying, I was strictly into telesales and marketing in corporate offices and examples of the places I worked were Kitchens Direct, BT Broadband, and New Approach Marketing (google certified company).

If you notice I am still into sales and marketing here in Naija and it's better off

9 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by AllenSpencer: 1:26am On May 14, 2019
Use her for money rituals

Uk spirits dey pay like mad
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:29am On May 14, 2019
nairalanduseles:

U call a trade a low income job i give up on u..........do u know how much traides make u silly ignorant monkey
....u fooool .......some tradies make more than doctors....do u know how much tradies charge.....u stuck in ur shithole arguing with someone if u see in real life na chairman u go dey call me

yes... security guard is a trade, washing plate is also a trade, cleaning toilet is also a trade, packing snow is a trade, househelp is also a trade...
what again is a trade, mr menial worker, yes a plate washer collects more than a doctor..hahaha

i love living in my shithole country..i love my freedom and i am no slave in my shithole country

as i have said earlier, i dont roll with menial workers, i got ambitions you can't handle with your menial job servitude mentality

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Logomaster: 1:31am On May 14, 2019
First Consider your Age Also are you coming to work or to do business? Consider your capital as for me here Nigeria business is Like gambling So a healthy business in Nigeria requires enough capital Are you desperate or what you want?

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by SmartyPants(m): 1:31am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

I made the decision to return to Nigeria, harness my skills and start up a processing company. At 25 and the sole breadwinner of an extended family, they are asking me to stay put, saying that the Nigerian environment is not good for business (I feel they are only scared of losing out on the goodies they get from me).

Also last year, the family introduced me to a female in the UK, talking about marriage to her. The said lady is a Nigerian within my age range, but born and raised in the UK. Though I have been to the UK severally to see her, I have made no commitments whatsoever as she is not the kind of lady I would marry all things being equal. She and the family have however given me a ultimatum to decide now.

What do you advice?

Your options could include an African country other than Nigeria though. How about that?

8 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by oluogbon0000(m): 1:34am On May 14, 2019
Baba or Bros Move go UK o, Na best advice No come Nigeria i use God tey beg you Move, I say Move o because me self i wan move Nigeria no be am for youth They don steal money finish now finishing innocent youth You know now arresting Boys any how for here.....Move o You know need tell us say you wan move or come down to this country
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Simbrixton(m): 1:38am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
My reservations about moving to the UK

- I hate being at the mercy of others. Going to the UK on a spousal permit means losing my German residency and I'll be at her mercy. As should anything go wrong with the relationship , I'll have to leave the UK.

- Getting a professional job. It doesn't make sense to go to the UK and continue to be trapped in menial jobs. I have been there and I hardly see Nigerians in professional jobs except those with rich parents. Someone should advice me on that as it could not be a real reflection.

My Reservations about Nigeria

- High rate of startup failure
- Difficulty in getting loans to expand. I have heard they can ask for even your neck in those times. With a lack of collateral, more difficult.

For those asking about my course, Yes it's a STEM degree.
from a moral point of view don't use someone because of visa e no good

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by NaijaElba(m): 1:39am On May 14, 2019
TheStarsAlign:

Baba, abeg I need info.

smiley we dey gather find am nah!
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by deltateam: 1:40am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

This life ehn. We've got Nigerian students from Canada come to Germany because of lack of skilled opportunities. They say there is discrimination on lack of Canadian degrees and Canadian experience. Also, honest reviews from Quora don't help. It seems many skilled migrants in Canada are also trapped in these same unskilled jobs.

I would have gone to Canada long ago if not for that. I felt the money to be wasted on the processing of the Canadian PR to go get unskilled jobs could be better channelled to my business projects in Nigeria.

Cant you find a beautiful rich German national and marry?

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Homguy(m): 1:40am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

A little more than a year.
Bro I left Naija for Canada about 3 weeks ago and almost all the Nigerians I have met here do good jobs not menial jobs, nursing, accounting, management etc. I am sure I would write my exams and move up soon by his grace.

You should consider Canada really

NIGERIA:
I just left so let me update you before you rush back home and regret.

1. Kidnapping is now a very serious business in Nigeria, and you especially at risk if you just arrived the country. It's everywhere not just in the ND it's very rampant in Lagos, people lose money and sometimes their lives. I have several colleagues who fell to this recently.

2. Starting a business : Do you know how many agencies including legal and illegal ones that would come to try to milk you out of your initial profit that's supposed to make the business grow? A lost of companies are struggling to survive there because the government doesn't care. Not to mention exchange rate and importing problems(I hope you don't intend to import anything because that enough to make you regret your DECISION to move back)

3. I assume power, clean water, sanity, clean air, are some of the things you enjoy there In Germany.
Are you ready to start the usual grind of buying fuel, dealing with generator noise, dealing with all the uncertainties that come withliving in Naija,

4. Are you sure you have a back up, because it seems you don't as the major earner in the family. Because if that business fails and there are a lot of reasons why it might fail, you might be trapped there in Nigeria, with little or no resources to leave again.

If I was in your shoes, I would try to migrate to another country say the UK or Canada, Australia or the US. Start a life that can sustain you so even when you go back home to invest or start a business briefly, you have things to run back to if that fails.

Yesterday, I met two Nigerians in church here who own their own pharmacies in Canada and are faring well. You can also start your business in Germany(if possible or relocate to where you can) and when its established you set a branch up in Nigeria.

I have neighbors that are regretting coming back after school and finding it really difficult. One has a masters from Italy but is currently doing a 50k govt job.

Do not rush back home bro

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Ammc(m): 1:40am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

What do you advice?

What kind of business would you want to set up in Nigeria? Do your findings. Businesses in Nigeria grows if you have the right skill, right mindset and right set of individuals around you. Just take your time, and think deeply. And if you believe in God (through His Son Jesus Christ), pray to Him for direction. He will guide accordingly.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by deltateam: 1:44am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

Thanks for your advice. I kinda notice there's been no advice on Nigeria. Are you writing her off in business terms?

And please, may I ask why.

Unless you want to come back to Nigeria and follow us and be playing , O2.5, 1X etc

That's the empowerment our government gave us.

No steady power to run a business, no loan except few that were given #10000 during campaign.

14 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:44am On May 14, 2019
iammo:
cool

Stay in Germany, till You can sort a better country... Australia, Canada even Uk if you can get a job.., little money you get from menial jobs you get could be channeled into trying other countries skilled migration programs.

That extreme urge you have about Coming to Nigeria, is the work of demons, should you come back without the support of your Family, chaiiiiii you would regret regreting it. God bless you bro e be like village people done press your remote like DSTV. If I could reach you and give you holy ghost slap to deliver you from the manupulation of the devil. You hear doctors are migrating yearly to look for greener pastures u dey think of coming to Nigeria where the government after frustrating you would tell you to go into farming. Brother do the minial job and save up.

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by seguun(m): 1:46am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
My reservations about moving to the UK

- I hate being at the mercy of others. Going to the UK on a spousal permit means losing my German residency and I'll be at her mercy. As should anything go wrong with the relationship , I'll have to leave the UK.

- Getting a professional job. It doesn't make sense to go to the UK and continue to be trapped in menial jobs. I have been there and I hardly see Nigerians in professional jobs except those with rich parents. Someone should advice me on that as it could not be a real reflection.

My Reservations about Nigeria

- High rate of startup failure
- Difficulty in getting loans to expand. I have heard they can ask for even your neck in those times. With a lack of collateral, more difficult.

For those asking about my course, Yes it's a STEM degree.

Whatever you do in life make sure you are not at the mercy of a woman

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:48am On May 14, 2019
bro e be like village people done press your remote like DSTV. If I could reach you and give you holy ghost slap to deliver you from the manupulation of the devil. You hear doctors are migrating yearly to look for greener pastures u dey think of coming to Nigeria where the government after frustrating you would tell you to go into farming. Brother do the minial job and save up.

10 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Amujale(m): 1:56am On May 14, 2019
@Op personally, i would advice you to stay in Germany and help make the world a better place, yet in an altogether more intellectual take, my advice is to research:

(a) Current location

(b) First choice

(c) Second choice e.t.c

Research extensively as though you will sitting exams afterwards.

Its of great advantage to anyone who studies any place they intend to visit, work or relocate; and match alongside ones current location.

Analyse your findings and allow the results to influence your final descision.

That is to say, if ones analysis is accurate enough, one would be able to determine the best place for a successfull living based on ones taste, desires and aspirations.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:56am On May 14, 2019
lilwetdick:

yes... security guard is a trade, washing plate is also a trade, cleaning toilet is also a trade, packing snow is a trade, househelp is also a trade...
what again is a trade, mr menial worker, yes a plate washer collects more than a doctor..hahaha

i love living in my shithole country..i love my freedom and i am no slave in my shithole country

as i have said earlier, i dont roll with menial workers, i got ambitions you can't handle with your menial job servitude mentality

How can u roll with someone u will never meet....yea we all chat here but shoe get size ......am not even joking
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 1:58am On May 14, 2019
lilwetdick:

How can u roll with someone u will never meet....yea we all chat here but shoe get size ......am not even joking

Pls try and travel before u hit 30yrs ok u re really naive and ignorant.....there is nothing in Nigeria and the mentality is so whack u will never understand till u travel

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Excuzeme: 2:02am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

Thanks for your advice. I kinda notice there's been no advice on Nigeria. Are you writing her off in business terms?

And please, may I ask why.

You see, there are benefits to "coming back home".
The things you can try and do in Nigeria (some are so mundane), you cant even dream about them in those foreign countries.
For example, one of my Junior brothers who is MD in the UK is always complaining about not being fulfilled, even though he is more than comfortable (An experienced Medical Doctor with a Masters Degree in Neuro Surgery!).
So, l adviced him to take a year-off work and come to Nigeria.
The first thing he did was to commission the building of a House, of which l was very helpful.
he was so thrilled that he could build his house "as he wanted", no restrictiosn on design, height or size, a you would normally have in the UK neighbourhoods. To him, that was "fulfilment"! He was so happy to be back in Nigeria, for the first three years undecided

Then he built a big hopsital but he never could understand the "problem with Electricity" because some of the`medical machines he imported for his Hospital are better run on Grid Power, instead of Generators (Solar was good, very expensive but limited in capacity).

So, my advice is: Until Nigeria can solve its Electricity issues, dont come to Nigeria hoping to start a viable business (No business can be more viable that "health or food sector" because people must get sick and people must eat!). Cost of running that business may drain all your savings before you know it.
The only thing that works in Nigeria rigth now is "buying and selling" (with a heavy those of counterfieting and consumer abuse, things l can assume that you would not want to be involved with).

You still have not told us what you studied ('STEM Degree' is a general acronym for any Scientific study).
Canada is still a very good option, for professional jobs, because the deman din those areas are still high and there are vacancies yet to be filled. it is also a more open society, compared to Germany.

And please, that "marriage arrangee" in the UK could turn out to be the greatest reggret you will ever have in life, if you fall for it.
Marriage can make you, it can also ruin you and even cause yur early death, if it turns sour, especially in a place like the UK where women have unfeterred desire tohumiliate their husband. Yoru case will be even made worse because you will be getting citizenship based "on spouse" and she would likely treat you like a chattel of hers (That ultimatum was meant to put you under pressure and force your hand.).

My Mama alsways say: Dont take a life changing decision, UNDER PRESSURE, you'll most likely you didn't when the pressure eventaully eases-off and you have time to review your decision.

Do the Candaian Work Permit Program (for professionals, chose the kind of "ideal job" of your heart's desire and then apply for it. if you get it, good but if you dont, you still keep trying as nothing would have changed.

Having said all the above, the greatest Asset anyone can have, to succeed in life is your DETERMINATION, AMBITION AND INTELLECT.
If those are in short supply, then it is better you work on them first.

Wish ya the best

24 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

See The Two States In Nigeria You Hardly Hear Of / Traveling To AUSTRIA – My Experience On A Virgin Passport! / 5 Friends Die In A Car Accident While Retuning From Nightclub In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.