Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106160 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:37am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

Walking down the aisle with Ola, Isale's smile went brighter.

^Hmmmmmmm. Please help, Contumely.
A dangler. Isale's smile walked down the aisle?

You can say:
Walking down the aisle with Ola, Isale smiled brightly. Etc.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:38am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

"Steve Jobs, the world-renowned techie, whose innovative products made him one of the greatest brains of the last 100 years, died Wednesday," Konkobelow News said.

"Steve Jobs, the world-renowned techie, whose innovative products made him one of the greatest brains of the last 100 years, died on Wednesday," Konkobelow News said.

Which one, please? Or both? Or none, Contumely?

Both are correct.
The first one is common in news headlines.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:39am On Oct 09, 2011
As she walked down the aisle with Ola, Isale's smile brightened.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:41am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

The actions and inactions of GEJ must be scrutinized by all Nigerians.

^Something is wrong. Please help us, Contumely.

"Inaction" is an uncountable noun. It is a mass noun.
Read more:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/inaction
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:42am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

After driving for more than 1 hour in Lekki, the map seemed unreal to him/her.

^Hmm. Please, help us, Contumely.

Is the map driving? add "to him/her"
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:43am On Oct 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

As she walked down the aisle with Ola, Isale's smile brightened.
Thanks, but the subject must refer to Isale and not her smile. Her smile can only occupy the object position.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:46am On Oct 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Is the map driving? add "to him/her"
No, Ileke. It's a dangler. The 'map' cannot be the subject. The driving must relate to someone doing it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:47am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

Long live the king.

Long lives the king.

Which one, please? And, why? Help us, Contumely.
Thanks Muyoto.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:48am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

After driving for more than 1 hour in Lekki, the map seemed unreal.

A dangler. As explained!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:49am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

Thanks, but the subject must refer to Isale and not her smile. Her smile can only occupy the object position.

Walking down the aisle with Ola, Isale's smile went brighter.

That would be kinda impossible since it's Isal's smile that is being focused on.

The best I can do is : With a brightened smile, Isale walked down the aisle with Ola.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:50am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

POSER. grin grin

Steve Jobs was so great that other techies had problems understanding his concepts.

Steve Jobs was so great that other techies had problems in understanding his concepts.

Please, help us, Contumely.

Thank you, Contumely.
In today's English, both are correct.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:51am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

No, Ileke. It's a dangler. The 'map' cannot be the subject. The driving must relate to someone doing it.

That's why I added the his/her. The driver feels that the map is unreal since he doesnt want to blame himself for his lack of direction.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:57am On Oct 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That would be kinda impossible since it's Isal's smile that is being focused on.

Remember, the adjectival phrase is "walking down the aisle with Ola". It must modify the subject (the person doing the walking). Her smile cannot walk down the aisle.

Ileke-IdI:

The best I can do is : With a brightened smile, Isale walked down the aisle with Ola.
This is OK.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:01am On Oct 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That's why I added the his/her. The driver feels that the map is unreal since he doesnt want to blame himself for his lack of direction.

But, the 'map' cannot be the subject of the clause, since the adjectival phrase is about "driving."

The subject of the main clause must refer to those in the car. You have to reposition the 'map.'
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:59am On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

After driving for more than 1 hour in Lekki, the map seemed unreal.

Th map seemed unreal, after driving for more tan one hour undecided
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 3:28am On Oct 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Th map seemed unreal, after driving for more tan one hour undecided

This isn't a modifier (a dangler). It has been rearranged. The first part is now the main clause.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 5:18pm On Oct 09, 2011
@ OLA, Thanks a lot.
More of the posers please.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by muyoto: 8:57pm On Oct 09, 2011
Ola one:

But, the 'map' cannot be the subject of the clause, since the adjectival phrase is about "driving."

The subject of the main clause must refer to those in the car. You have to reposition the 'map.'

so was my example correct?

after driving for more than 1 hour in lekki, we noticed that the map seemed unreal.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2011
muyoto:

so was my example correct?

Yeah, correct. Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 7:05am On Oct 16, 2011
Pls which is correct?
I 'have' always been obedient to my husband.
I 'had' always been obedient to my husband.
THANKS.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by muyoto: 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2011
Contumely:

Pls which is correct?
I 'have' always been obedient to my husband.
I 'had' always been obedient to my husband.
THANKS.

they are both correct.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 8:04am On Oct 17, 2011
muyoto:

they are both correct.
please explain
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by oyans: 1:30pm On Oct 17, 2011
Information is same as in plural and singular
Medium singular (either of radio, newspaper, magazine, television etc)
Media plural r (radio, newspaper, magazine, television etc)
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by tufuuu(m): 12:40pm On Oct 27, 2011
Keep it up guy. I luv dat
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2011
^Thanks, man.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 2:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
What happened to your original ID?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:23pm On Oct 27, 2011
Odunnu:

What happened to your original ID?

Seun's bot, Cutie.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 3:54pm On Oct 27, 2011
Have you reported?Do you prefer this?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:52pm On Oct 27, 2011
Odunnu:

Have you reported?Do you prefer this?

You still have to register another ID in order to report.

I am indifferent, really. I am okay with this.

Thanks, Omoge.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 5:45am On Oct 28, 2011
Ok
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by miles05(m): 12:11pm On Oct 29, 2011
Keep the good work guys , @ least i can take my grammer lessons here

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.