Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106340 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 02, 2011
^ And the bot didn't get the above. Ultimate uselessness angry
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by ArQuAbOy(m): 11:55am On Nov 06, 2011
Nice work ppl
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2011
naijababe:

^ And the bot didn't get the above. Ultimate uselessness angry

I knew that Idunnu, sorry Odunnu, would something about it. A good MOD, that gurl wink wink.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by stepone(m): 11:42am On Nov 14, 2011
@ ola olabiy

'Gateman' is not a single word. it is separated 'Gate man' meaning 'Gatekeeper', and not English word made Nigerian. However it as been included for long>>> 1800

incorrect: Gatemen
correct: Gate man or Gate-men
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:58pm On Nov 14, 2011
stepone:

@ ola olabiy

'Gateman' is not a single word. it is separated 'Gate man' meaning 'Gatekeeper', and not English word made Nigerian. However it as been included for long>>> 1800

incorrect: Gatemen
correct: Gate man or Gate-men

Thanks. But, any links?

Because I don't think you are right.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gatekeeper

And, 'gate man?'

That's a new one. Let me know more. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 1:43am On Nov 16, 2011
Its the first i've seen. Or is oxford now wrong?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 4:39pm On Nov 29, 2011
Hi, guys. I've been busy ni o - very busy!

But, hmm, enjoy this. And, read the comments. Hilarious!

It is about 'likely' and its usage. But, the comments veered away from 'likely'.

Is 'likely' not an adverb? A war between The Economist and the OED.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2011/11/degrees-confidence?fsrc=nlw|newe|11-28-2011|new_on_the_economist

Hi, Odunnu kiss kiss
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Seyilome(m): 12:04pm On Dec 01, 2011
Why English language is so complex,and does change all the time?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by muyoto: 10:14pm On Dec 01, 2011
Seyilome:

Why English language is so complex,and does change all the time?

don't mind those jobless eggheads at Oxford. grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:58pm On Dec 01, 2011
muyoto:

don't mind those jobless eggheads at Oxford. grin
smiley
Funny, but, you are right.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 7:57am On Dec 02, 2011
^^We (users) are mostly responsible for the changes. And, English, being a living language, adjusts accordingly.

However, we can blame those eggheads for something like this:

Leng[b]th[/b]

Heig[b]ht[/b]

Wid[b]th[/b]

^They are measurement words. But, one is "ht'. The other 2 are 'th'.

Why? cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by deemarie(f): 8:27am On Dec 05, 2011
naso english tire me o, you sit in the couch buh lay on your bed and watch programs on tv undecided undecided undecided
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:33pm On Dec 05, 2011
POSER.

The phrase 'political class' is an endangered species in Nigeria.

Correct or incorrect?

Abeg, answer wink

Clue: the emboldened part.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:36pm On Dec 05, 2011
^^Clue:

'A' + 'species'. E.g. A species (specie?).

Is it okay?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 05, 2011
Ola one:

^^Clue:

'A' + 'species'. E.g. A species (specie?).

Is it okay?

I think so, never heard of specie. I don't think a singular form exists for species since it's used to describe a collection/group of something.

Na you be the pofessor, i'm just attempting your kweshun o, so do me jeje if i don fail
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:29pm On Dec 05, 2011
naijababe:

I think so, never heard of specie. I don't think a singular form exists for species since it's used to describe a collection/group of something.

Na you be the pofessor, i'm just attempting your kweshun o, so do me jeje if i don fail
Hmmm. Winding me up? Uhnn? wink

You are right - as usual.

We have specie but it means something different sha
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/specie
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 05, 2011
Is anything wrong with this expression: 'Where are your courtesies?'
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:31pm On Dec 05, 2011
carbonsyb:

Is anything wrong with this expression: 'Where are your courtesies?'
^^We examined this last year nau
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 05, 2011
Ola one:

Hmmm. Winding me up? Uhnn? wink

You are right - as usual.

We have specie but it means something different sha
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/specie

Na who born me grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:46pm On Dec 05, 2011
naijababe:

Na who born me grin

Who I be wey you no fit wind up sef? At your service jare. Send me - I mean anywhere. You know what I mean? wink wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 05, 2011
^ As your lordship pleases grin grin grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:01am On Dec 06, 2011
^^ grin grin grin

Okay, then. Let's adopt the policy Americans call seesaw. wink

I dey kampe! wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 06, 2011
^ Na when you turn to Uncle Sege? cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:14am On Dec 06, 2011
^^You know pikin wey sabi wash im hands nau? Na im I be. Baba don take im teeth tear me meat oo. cheesy wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 06, 2011
I've forgotten ni. Hw do I locate it here.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:47pm On Dec 14, 2011
Culture: the way we do say cheesy things around here.

Did you know?

That;

In Britain, the phrase 'public school' ACTUALLY means 'private, fee-paying school'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:51pm On Dec 14, 2011
A case for 'the reason why'. Are you one of the said sticklers? LOL.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2011/11/redundancy

Read the comments.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:55pm On Dec 14, 2011
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 8:04pm On Dec 24, 2011
Merry Xmas, moi people.

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:39pm On Dec 24, 2011
C'mon, page 7 and 0.

I want to say bye bye to this thread.

C',mon! cool
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Bec(f): 5:44pm On Dec 27, 2011
This is a good teaching
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by isalegan2: 1:16am On Dec 28, 2011
Ola one:

C'mon, page 7 and 0.

I want to say bye bye to this thread.

Why?  Is there something I can do?  Just say the word!

C',mon! cool

Really, you get one WISH.  smiley

Hope your holiday is going well.  cool

Maybe I'll submit some grammar-related queries. tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.