Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,525 members, 7,812,637 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) (761 Views)

Why I Refused To Debate With Jonathan – Buhari / Murtala Foundation Offers Buhari Fresh Opportunity To Debate With Jonathan / APC Presidential Aspirants To Pay N27 Million For Forms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by TewMuch: 7:18pm On Sep 24, 2010
THE political firmament may soon be lightened with the tacit agreement by President Goodluck Jonathan, Governor Bukola Saraki and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar to participate in a debate to discuss the economy.

Following the challenge thrown by Atiku last Tuesday, the Special Adviser to the President on National Assembly Matters, Senator Mohammed Abba-Aji, and aides of Saraki accepted the challenge.

But Atiku has suggested a neutral venue and neutral organisers to conduct a credible debate. According to him, Nigerians should no longer give power to those who aspire for it without adequate preparation to tackle the challenges of governance.

He dismissed the notion that Nigeria's democracy is not ripe for presidential debate. In his view, Nigerians have the right to assess the capabilities of those aspiring to lead.

Therefore, he suggested that in the absence of an institutional presidential debate commission, credible institutions, which are non-partisan, may offer themselves for hosting such debates.

He listed such institutions as including the Aminu Kano House; Centre for Democratic Research and Development, Bayero University Kano (BUK); the Claude Ake Centre, Centre for Advanced Social Studies (Port Harcourt); Centre for Democratic Development (CDD), Ibadan, and the Centre for Continuing Education, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN).

Atiku had earlier accused President Goodluck Jonathan of polarizing the nation. Apparently seeking to appeal to the sentiments of northern delegates in Sokoto, Kebbi, and Zamfara States, Atiku noted that the country, which is already divided along regional, ethnic and religious lines, should be spared further divisions as represented by President Jonathan's bid to appropriate a mandate meant for the North.

Addressing thousands of party supporters and delegates yesterday, Atiku said:This nation has survived thus far because our founding fathers have maintained a delicate balance between the regions; between the two great religions and among our various ethnic groups.

He said those who want to subvert the unique arrangement of rotation of power between the North and the South do not wish the nation well.

I am convinced that those who want power rotation jettisoned do not have the best interest of the country at heart. The anti-zoning elements want to plunge this country into a needless crisis, Atiku said.

Corroborating Atiku's views, a group, the Progressive Youths for Good Governance (PYGG), has called on Nigerians to support the zoning system of government as a form of electing the next president in Nigeria.

Addressing journalists recently in Lagos, the President of PYGG, Ojukwu Teddy, noted that the zoning system should be followed with due process and according to the rule of law.

We started from the belief that prosperity is indivisible; that for growth to be sustained, prosperity has to be shared appropriately.   That for political positions in the country to be shared properly, we shall stand and support the zoning formula, which has been the bedrock of the peaceful co-existence between the six geo-political zones, he said.

He pledged the group's support for Babangida to restore credit, growth and jobs in the Nigerian economy.
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by TewMuch: 7:21pm On Sep 24, 2010
Atiku was making himself look credible until he rambled into the zoning crap. How can they force zoning down out throats when it was a party agreement? Nigerian's do not have to be subjected to slavery because of agreements made by some selfish reterds, looking to create political dynasties while enslaving everyone else.

I like this idea of a debate and will love to see IBB agree to it, I will like to see him squirm and poo himself at the questions. Public humiliation at its finest. Anyone vying for top political position should be ready to work hard for it, and sell themselves and their intelligence. This is a good development.
smiley
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 24, 2010
If IBB does not attend this debate he should kindly not waste our time taking part in the election.

How does anyone who want to lead in a democracy run away from debates?

Ahmadinejad of Iran had a debate with Musavi
John Attah Mills of Ghana had a debate with Nana Akwado

If Ghana and Iran can have one, if 1993 Nigeria can have a debate between Abiola and Tofa why cant 2011 Nigeria?
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by TewMuch: 1:28am On Sep 25, 2010
IBB will only respond by bombing everyone present because he can't be put on the spot to answer for his many crimes.And they are many.He doesn't want to go down like a sucker.
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by Nobody: 2:45am On Sep 25, 2010
TewMuch:

IBB will only respond by bombing everyone present because he can't be put on the spot to answer for his many crimes.And they are many.He doesn't want to go down like a sucker.

Exactly.
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by damas11111(m): 1:01pm On Sep 25, 2010
The idea of a debate is good if it can be well managed. Though I believe that a debate is only relevant when all parties' candidates have emerged.

The peoblem I have with Atiku calling for a debate is that he is simply not qualified to call for one. Atiku was the running mate of OBJ THE FOOL when a debate was organised for PDP's and AD's presidential candidate in 1999. He must surely have been privy to his team's decision to dodge the debate that the whole country was waiting to see happen. OBJ/ATIKU could have attended since they knew that they lacked any progressive plans for the nation they were to rule. He is too despirate to rule Nigeria and the truth is that he is finished politically. Let Atiku go to sleep in Adamawa.
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by xterra2(m): 8:31pm On Sep 25, 2010
I wish i could be called to moderate the Debate, The questions i would ask hmmn infact the aspirants would hate me
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by Beaf: 8:58pm On Sep 25, 2010
xterra2:

I wish i could be called to moderate the Debate, The questions i would ask hmmn infact the aspirants would hate me

Nobody would believe you will make an impartial moderator. I personally wouldn't put myself forward for the same reason.
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by denitro(m): 9:19pm On Sep 25, 2010
Obasanjo proved how s-t-u-p-i-d nigerians were when he refused to attend the Presidential Aspirants debate in 1999.
The debate was organised btw Peoples Democratic Party PDP Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, and the compromise candidate of the Alliance for Democracy, AD/ All Peoples Party APP, Chief Olu Falae.
On the appointed day Nigerians watched for what seemed eternity as a lonely Olu Falae sat in a big sofa, waiting for an Obasanjo that never showed up.
Few months later as stupid as we were then, we voted the man in.
With that knowledge why wouldn't IBB think it is okay to miss a presidential debate when in reality you can be president after missing a debate.
AS SOON AS OBASANJO WON IN 1999, I LEFT NIGERIA FOR GOOD.
BECAUSE I NEVER SAW ANY GOOD IN HIM THEN AND WANT WONDERING WHY PEOPLE AT THAT TIME COULDN'T SEE IT.
I hope someone credible will be voted in.
Re: Presidential Aspirants Agree To Debate (except Ibb) by xterra2(m): 9:33pm On Sep 25, 2010
Beaf:

Nobody would believe you will make an impartial moderator. I personally wouldn't put myself forward for the same reason.
Why dont you think i would make an impartial moderator? Maybe its only you that thinks so ,
But seriously i would partial and ask the right questions smiley

(1) (Reply)

Is There A Rising Case Of Abuse of Unwary Youngsters By Perverts In The SW? / Riot As Boko Haram Sect Members Attempt Jailbreak In Yola / Gov. Alao-akala And Adedibu Curse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.