Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan (2340 Views)

S’east Govs Goofed On Radio Biafra – APGA National Chairman / Kano APC In Disarray, Kwankwasiya Movment To Support Jonathan / Support Jonathan, PDP Begs Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by chyz(m): 4:32am On Sep 27, 2010
[size=18pt] 2011: S’East govs support Jonathan[/size]
…Urge delegates to give him bloc votes at primaries

From CHIDI NNADI and PETRUS OBI, Enugu
Monday, September 27, 2010

The five South-east governors:have formally declared support for President Goodluck Jonathan in the 2011 polls.

The governors, Mr Peter Obi (Anambra), Chief Theodore Orji (Abia), Chief Martin Elechi (Ebonyi), Dr Sullivan Chime (Enugu) and Chief Ikedi Ohakim (Imo), who met yesterday in Enugu under the aegis of the South East Governors Forum, have by this declaration ended many months of speculations of where the governors of the zone are standing as their meetings on July 4 and August 22 could not see them taking a common stand.

The governors, in a seven-paragraph communiqué read after the meeting that lasted for over four hours at the Enugu Government House said they took the decision following the declaration by President Jonathan to vie for the post of president and in keeping with their earlier resolve to support for presidency any candidate with the best programme that would address the marginalization of the South-east zone and political imbalance in the country.

The governors, however, refused to take questions from journalists who had waited for several hours citing late closure of the meeting as an excuse. But many believe that the decision of the governors would run contrary to the general Igbo quest to take a shot at the presidency in 2015, believing Jonathan’s continued presidency beyond 2011would not guarantee this.

However, Governor Obi of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) who read out the communiqué of the meeting as the chairman of the Forum, urged “all the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the zone to vote en bloc for the President Jonathan/Namadi Sambo ticket in the forthcoming presidential primaries of the party.”
Governor Obi’s party, APGA, had earlier indicated interest to field a presidential candidate in the 2011 election.

The governors also frowned upon the use of their names and offices to organise summits and conferences in the region, insisting that their permissions must be sought before they were dragged into them. Last month, elder statesman and former Aviation Minister, Chief Mbazulike Amaechi, had convened an Igbo summit in Enugu where they endorsed the candidacy of President Jonathan without any of the governors of the zone in attendance.

Also today, the Senators Jim Nwobodo and Ken Nnamani-led group are staging an Igbo Political Stakeholders Conference in Owerri, which Daily Sun gathered the five governors had decided to shun as the conference is believed to draw support for General Ibrahim Babangida who is jostling to contest the presidency on the platform of the PDP.

The governors used the opportunity to thank Jonathan for formalizing the international airport status of the Akanu Ibiam Airport in Enugu and for giving directives for the construction of a new terminal building for the airport.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/sept/27/national-27-09-2010-014.htm
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Nobody: 4:50am On Sep 27, 2010
Time up IBB!, cut your loses and go home, take care of your children, and make peace with your maker for christ sake! grin grin tongue

Every turn is a brick-wall for the evil one, and it's still hard for the fool to see the clearly hand written of failure on the wall.

He cannot see how passionately majority of Nigerians detest his idea of coming back to govern the country again thinking that Nigeria have forgotten how he laid the foundation of the current ruins of all facet of our lives.

We have forgiven him because we are strong as a people, but we have not forgotten.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by MaziUche0(m): 5:23am On Sep 27, 2010
Not until Ohanaeze speaks, will I listen. . .
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Abagworo(m): 5:32am On Sep 27, 2010
Partisan politics is rubbish.I never expected south-east governors to stoop so low.Let every individual cast his vote of choice.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by chyz(m): 5:51am On Sep 27, 2010
Abagworo:

Partisan politics is rubbish.I never expected south-east governors to stoop so low.Let every individual cast his vote of choice.

Who did u expect them to endorse for the primaries then?
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by sbeezy8: 5:53am On Sep 27, 2010
SE PDP govs are fine but
peter obi guy should respect himself PDP isnt his party

senseless. he might as well decamp to PDP
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Abagworo(m): 5:59am On Sep 27, 2010
Btw.sbeezy8 are you sjeezy8?
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by MetalGong4: 7:20am On Sep 27, 2010
They are on their own.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Abagworo(m): 8:11am On Sep 27, 2010
chyz:

Who did u expect them to endorse for the primaries then?

Endorsing a candidate is declaring him a winner even before election.It is very undemocratic.Let everyone vote his or her candidate of choice.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by slap1(m): 8:19am On Sep 27, 2010
Abagworo:

Endorsing a candidate is declaring him a winner even before election.It is very undemocratic.Let everyone vote his or her candidate of choice.
How so? Are the SE governors INEC? And who told you it's undemocratic. Do you know how many endorsements Obama got in his time?
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by slap1(m): 8:47am On Sep 27, 2010
Hypocritic sycophants! It's a lot easier for them to endorse GEJ than to address the over 2 months old strike in the state universities. Ndi ara !
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by KnowAll(m): 9:04am On Sep 27, 2010
SE PDP govs are fine but
peter obi guy should respect himself PDP isnt his party

senseless. he might as well decamp to PDP

[size=14pt]Presidential Election is diffrent from Gubernotorial OR Assembly elections. A party might choose to vote for a PDP candidate in the Presidential elections and vote another party OR their own party in the ASSEMBLY and Govs election AFTER ALL the elections would take place on different days.

Voting APGA in the Presidential elections by APGA electorates would only result to throwing away credible votes, you might as well pour water into a basket, so stregically it pays for a party to vote for another party in the Presidential election and go back the next day and vote for their own guys in the Govs AND ASSEMBLY elections.[/size]
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by idupaul: 10:24am On Sep 27, 2010
Seems Its curtains for ibb in the pdp
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Abagworo(m): 11:29am On Sep 27, 2010
slap1:

How so? Are the SE governors INEC? And who told you it's undemocratic. Do you know how many endorsements Obama got in his time?

I don't think there was a coalition of governors that endorsed Obama.Individuals are free to endorse but not a coalition of governors.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by namdo(m): 12:14pm On Sep 27, 2010
GEAJ, the providence. I only hope he is supported to do what he said on the day of declaration to contest since i see him as a 'not too' partisan man but a lover of the masses well-being. I hope I am not wrong here. This is of course hoping he wins the PDP primaries and then elections in 2011.  cool lipsrsealed
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by anonimi: 12:16pm On Sep 27, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by slap1(m): 12:32pm On Sep 27, 2010
Abagworo:

I don't think there was a coalition of governors that endorsed Obama.Individuals are free to endorse but not a coalition of governors.
I think you're a bit wrong. 11 and 10 governors endorsed Clinton and Obama respectively. Among the governors that endorsed Obama are: Gov. Tim Kaine of Virginia, Gov. Chris Gregoire, Washington State, Gov. Anibal Acevedo-Vilá, Puerto Rico, etc. Even Mayor Adrian Fenty of Washington. There is nothing wrong in a group of governors endorsing a candidate.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 27, 2010
So where does that place ojukwu that has pledged his loyalty and ibo votes to IBB ?
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Beaf: 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
MetalGong4:

They are on their own.

My good friend, it must be hard being a political orphan.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Abagworo(m): 1:18pm On Sep 27, 2010
~Bluetooth:

So where does that place ojukwu that has pledged his loyalty and ibo votes to IBB ?

You are just looking for a way to insult Ojukwu.I neither saw his name on this thread nor did I ever hear of his pledge of loyalty to a man he is greater than.I am not Ojukwu's fan either.

slap1:

I think you're a bit wrong. 11 and 10 governors endorsed Clinton and Obama respectively. Among the governors that endorsed Obama are: Gov. Tim Kaine of Virginia, Gov. Chris Gregoire, Washington State, Gov. Anibal Acevedo-Vilá, Puerto Rico, etc. Even Mayor Adrian Fenty of Washington. There is nothing wrong in a group of governors endorsing a candidate.

All the 36 governors are free to endorse anybody on individual basis but coming as a group of governors from a section forming  a coalition is my problem.They held a meeting and concluded that they and their entourage would vote for one candidate.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by otokx(m): 1:23pm On Sep 27, 2010
The more you look, the less you see.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by chyz(m): 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2010
Abagworo:

All the 36 governors are free to endorse anybody on individual basis but coming as a group of governors from a section forming  a coalition is my problem.They held a meeting and concluded that they and their entourage would vote for one candidate.

What section of the country hasn't done so or aren't planning to do the same? I don't see what the problem is.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Npoto: 1:41pm On Sep 27, 2010
This is a case of ones house being on fire and he's busy pursuing rat.These clowns of could resolve to endorse Jonathan(which means nothing anyway) but could not resolve the lingering strike by their universities lecturers.Politicians will never cease to amuse me.Shame on you all.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by chyz(m): 2:00pm On Sep 27, 2010
Npoto:

This is a case of ones house being on fire and he's busy pursuing rat.These clowns of could resolve to endorse Jonathan(which means nothing anyway) but could not resolve the lingering strike by their universities lecturers.Politicians will never cease to amuse me.Shame on you all.

I definitely hear where you are coming from; however, as party members they still have an obligation to participate in the selection of a candidate for presidency. There are no governors who have endorsed an aspirant, whose house isnt on fire to some degree. As far as the governors are concerned, it's up to the citizens of those respective states to oust and/or select who they want to be governed by. They have to go as far as to do "By Any Means Necessary" to let these people know that they mean business even if it means by physical force. When nigerians learn how to not settle for [size=13pt]what is[/size], then this will go their way.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Goddex: 2:28pm On Sep 27, 2010
Abagworo:

You are just looking for a way to insult Ojukwu.I neither saw his name on this thread nor did I ever hear of his pledge of loyalty to a man he is greater than.I am not Ojukwu's fan either.

Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Goddex: 2:36pm On Sep 27, 2010
Abagworo:

@Abagworo
Stop ranting my friend! What difference does it make?
We all monitored the US elections where several groups queued
behind different candidates of their choice. What is it with you?
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Echidime(m): 2:45pm On Sep 27, 2010
FOOLS EVERYWHERE,is peter obi a pdp man? so he has no faith in his party  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by chyz(m): 4:11pm On Sep 27, 2010
[size=15pt]South East Speakers endorse Jonathan/Sambo ticket[/size]

Published on 26 September 2010

BY KENNETH OFOMA, Abakaliki

Speakers of the South East Houses of Assembly yesterday endorsed the candidacy of President Goodluck Jonathan and his Vice, Namadi Sambo, for the presidency in 2011 general elections under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The endorsement was contained in a five point communiqué issued at the end of the meeting of the South East Speakers Forum held at Ebonyi State House of Assembly, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State Capital at the weekend.

In the communiqué read by the Speaker of Enugu State House of Assembly Rt. Hon. Eugene Odoh,  the speakers called on PDP delegates from the South-East geo-political zone in the forth coming presidential primary to vote en-bloc for President Goodluck Jonathan/ Namadi Sambo ticket.
The speakers also urged the electorate in the South-East to vote en-mass for President Goodluck Jonathan in the forthcoming general elections.
The lawmakers observed with delight, what they called remarkable improvement in power supply and security situation across the country under Jonathan's leadership.

The speakers noted the need for continuity in administration so as to sustain the present tempo of general improvement in the well being of Nigerians.
The political and even economic interests of the South-East geo-political zone are best served by the presidency under Goodluck Jonathan, they noted.
Odoh noted that the essence of the meeting was to capture the mood of the nation more so since all of them are members of the PDP and therefore with common goal.

Meanwhile the Ebonyi State governor Chief Martin Elechi has expressed joy with the activities of Speakers of South East states, especially for ensuring that peace and good governance are maintained in the geo-political zone.
Governor Elechi stated this yesterday when the speakers of the five South East geo- political zone paid him a courtesy call at the Government House Abakaliki the state capital, shortly after their meeting.

Governor Elechi who expressed joy of  the decision of the speakers to adopt President Jonathan as their preferred candidate for the presidential election said that the speakers have a duty to mobilize their constituents and Ndigbo in general to buy into Goodluck/ Sambo political project.
He said that the decision of Ndigbo would serve as a mark of reciprocity for the interest of Mr. President in the affairs of Ndigbo since his assumption of office.
The adoption of President Jonathan is a boast to me as the Zonal coordinator of Goodluck Sambo ticket. This adoption would go a long way in facilitating my assignment as the coordinator, he said.

He promised to convey their massage to other governors of the South East adding that President Goodluck was God- sent to Nigeria especially in this period our democracy is taking root. 

http://www.champion.com.ng/displaycontent.asp?pid=689
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by semid4lyfe(m): 4:33pm On Sep 27, 2010
Good News!

SE + SS + SW + 3/4 or e bad at all, 1/2 of Nothern delegates = Jonathan winning the PDP Primaries. . .the 1st step to becoming President of Nigeria.

Change Nigeria! Goodluck Nigeria!
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Reference(m): 5:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
Good move. We must never, never, never return to 1985. The future belongs to civilians, the future belongs to those who have not been there before. The future belongs to the youth. The future of leadership belongs to the educated and enlightened. The future belongs to pluralism. The future belongs to leaders who have an iota of respect for the aspirations of the led. The endorsement is an internal PDP affair, for delegates only. It does not say you and I have to vote for Jonathan but it is a clear signal to those we donot want that the time is up.
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by chyz(m): 6:14pm On Sep 27, 2010
Reference:

Good move. We must never, never, never return to 1985. The future belongs to civilians, the future belongs to those who have not been there before. The future belongs to the youth. The future of leadership belongs to the educated and enlightened. The future belongs to pluralism. The future belongs to leaders who have an iota of respect for the aspirations of the led. The endorsement is an internal PDP affair, for delegates only. It does not say you and I have to vote for Jonathan but it is a clear signal to those we donot want that the time is up.

The SE is really turning up the heat on these guys( IBB and Atiku) check out this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-521074.0.html
Re: 2011: S’east Govs Support Jonathan by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 27, 2010
I respect their decision.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Army, Militants In Fresh War / I'm Not Dead, Says Alafin / Senator Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon On The Death Of Ghana's President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.