Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): (11151 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / 2015: Gej Should Drop Sambo For Chime / GEJ Should Be Impeached - LA Times Joel Brinkley (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by monkeyleg: 2:18pm On Sep 28, 2010
Same old rubbish. Shey they have a governor there?
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by abenelo: 2:19pm On Sep 28, 2010
It is a shame that the Nigerian Press has refused to focus on the pathetic situation in Aba. Our president has also refused to see what is happening, he is shamelessly welcoming a failed governor into his fold. T A Orji has failed in providing infastructure, failed in security even in payment of salaries, yet he seeks reelection and Mr President still welcomed him to his fold, I dont root for any politician in the 2011 elections but We certainly dont have a messiah in all the candidiates in PDP, GEJ and T A Orji will be held accountable for the lives lost in Aba by GOd almighty. We dont have leaders in Nigeria but selfish politicians, the president will not declare state of emergency in Abia , because he needs T A Orji backing in PDP primaries and general election. SHAME ON THESE SHAMELESS POLITICIANS, who have no regard for human lives!
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 28, 2010
Spyker:

Did you read where I said only a Presidential fiat can be used to fight this problem? What do you understand by that statement. Did you also read where I said Legislature need to pass that into Law? I may be wrong in saying pass that into law (mind you, I am not a lawyer and I am not interested in studying law). This is a lay man's view.
[b]Presidential order may be viewed as an abuse of power to a layman but a constitutional approach to make such declaration is the only thing recognised within the confine of the supreme law of nigeria which is the 1999 constitution[/b]fiat or no fiat is not the issue here.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by pjo: 2:24pm On Sep 28, 2010
I totally agree with the poster.
I wonder why some group of hoodlums will hold a whole state to a ransom and our
gov looks the other as if nothing is happening.
I was at the eagle square some moments ago and saw how our "combatant ready" men of the armed forces were
displaying different king of guns and armoured tanks and i wonder why some of the guys will not be dispatched
to this abia  state to teach those guys some lessons.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 28, 2010
Beaf:

@topic
It is not an easy process to declare a state of emergency and its a process strewn with traps and potholes. I election season, it might be really delicate to declare a state of emergency, especially with the current set of desperate candidates that have threatened to throw the country into turmoil.
It's an easy process provided due process is followed and also if the governor and house of assembly really want an end to the crisis.It's just a matter of declaring it in Aba and not all the state per se.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by chyz(m): 2:42pm On Sep 28, 2010
Declaring State of Emergency is not hard. It was done 4 years ago in Ekiti State.

[size=15pt]Emergency order in Nigerian state[/size]
Impeached governor of Ekiti State, Nigeria

Mr Fayose says he is still in Ekiti State

Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo has declared a state of emergency in Ekiti State, following the impeachment of the local governor for corruption.

Mr Obasanjo said he was taking action because the governor's sacking had been unconstitutional, and to prevent Ekiti descending into chaos.

Both the chief justice and the attorney-general have said Ayo Fayose's sacking was illegal.

Political tension is rising in Nigeria, ahead of elections next year.

Mr Fayose has denied reports that he had fled the country, saying he was in hiding because he feared for his life but remained governor.

His deputy Biodun Olujimi, who was also impeached, says she is now acting governor, although the state assembly has installed former speaker Friday Aderemi.

'Ridiculous'

President Obasanjo told national television that the governor's impeachment was "a clear case of usurpation of power."

"We have come to a sad, ridiculous and unacceptable situation in Ekiti where we have three governors."

Map
"It is dangerous for our democracy to allow this flagrant violation."

Brigadier General Tunji Olorun (rtd), a former military state governor during military rule, has been appointed for six months has been sworn in in the capital, Abuja.

Ekiti State is only the second state to witness a state of emergency in Nigeria since President Obasanjo came to power in 1999.

Plateau State was placed under a state of emergency for nine months in 2004 after ethnic violence.

Governors under fire

On Monday, Ekiti State House of Assembly voted to remove Mr Fayose from power but several senior officials have condemned the impeachment.

The Nigerian Bar Association called for a boycott of Ekiti State courts until the matter was resolved.

Nigeria's remaining 35 governors met President Obasanjo and informed him that they would not accept Mr Aderemi at their Governors' Forum.

If the Ekiti State matter is not resolved, it could turn into a major crisis for the whole country, says the BBC's Mannir Dan Ali in Abuja.

Some senior Nigerian lawyers, however, say the impeachment reflected the "beauty of democracy".

Mr Fayose is the third governor to be impeached since Nigeria returned to multiparty democracy in 1999.

Two other governors are currently facing impeachment proceedings from their local legislatures over allegations of corruption.

Nigeria's anti-corruption agency says it is investigating two-thirds of the country's governors.

While Mr Fayose was being sacked, MPs in Anambra State began impeachment proceedings against Governor Peter Obi.

Early last week, Plateau State Governor Joshua Dariye was served with an impeachment notice in controversial circumstances that sparked riots in the central state.

Critics of President Obasanjo say his anti-corruption drive is a cover for a political witch-hunt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6065188.stm
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by samm(m): 2:43pm On Sep 28, 2010
I support, this is waaaay to looooooong overdue. A state of emergency should not only be declared in Aba but in the whole of Abia State for failure of leadership.  THERE IS NO LEADERSHIP IN ABIA STATE.
The Governor should be prosecuted by any legal means necessary for crimes against humanity.  EFCC!!!! Where is that now useless body. No infrastructural improvement or meaningful governance has happened in Abia state for years. The state has been thoroughly looted and is in deep debt, no law, no order.
And now the embecile governor wants to give amnesty to kidnappers, to murderers The militants atleast had a cause although they lost their purpose but amnesty given to them can somewhat be justified.  What justifies amnesty for plain killers without any cause.  These guys are terrorists and should face the law period.
And can you imagine that some folks were calling for an Aba State!!!!!
I sorry o.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by kcreal(f): 2:43pm On Sep 28, 2010
If declaring state of emergency in Abia will solve this, i think GJ should do it becos we are all living in fear in Aba.  the whole streets of Aba is like during Christmas season, every where is so empty, people are moving out from the city, Banks closed, series of kidnapping, rapping, armed robbery and killings. It all started one day and i strongly believe that it will all end one day.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Mobinga: 2:46pm On Sep 28, 2010
Insensitive Government.
Insensitive Leaders.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Rhea(f): 2:49pm On Sep 28, 2010
God save the good ones still in Aba. It is a shame the way things have turned out.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by mansmith(m): 2:55pm On Sep 28, 2010
i do not know what GEJ is waiting for, aba is a war zone,bank have shut down for 1 week,hospitals are on strike,what's left?
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 28, 2010
Rhea:

[size=16pt]IT IS ALLEGED THAT MOST OF THE KIDNAP INCIDENTS IN ABA ARE MASTERMINDED BY A CERTAIN 'POWERFUL' INDIVIDUAL FROM OBEHIE COMMUNITY IN ABIA STATE. CAN SOMEONE REVEAL HIS IDENTITY. I KNOW WE HAVE NATURAL SSS INDIVIDUALS HERE ON NAIRALAND[/size]
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by denitro(m): 3:21pm On Sep 28, 2010
I have lost confidence in GEJ.
truly
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Vitality31(m): 3:25pm On Sep 28, 2010
OH LORD, WE COMMIT THIS STATE(ABIA) INTO YOUR HANDS. THIS IS PATHETIC EVEN SMALL INNOCENT KIDS. WHAT A TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE FOR THE PARENTS.

MAY GOD PROTECT US ALL.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by slap1(m): 3:32pm On Sep 28, 2010
Rhea:

[size=16pt]IT IS ALLEGED THAT MOST OF THE KIDNAP INCIDENTS IN ABA ARE MASTERMINDED BY A CERTAIN 'POWERFUL' INDIVIDUAL FROM OBEHIE COMMUNITY IN ABIA STATE. CAN SOMEONE REVEAL HIS IDENTITY. I KNOW WE HAVE NATURAL SSS INDIVIDUALS HERE ON NAIRALAND[/size]
His name is Osisikankwu but Stone, his deputy, is behind the recent killings and kidnappings. Stone now has his own group.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 28, 2010
On a second thought, its an election year and GEJ will be extremely careful in weilding the big stick of the declaring an emergency. The best he can do is send federal troops and I still wonder what the IGP is doing in Abuja
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 28, 2010
slap1:

His name is Osisikankwu but Stone, his deputy, is behind the recent killings and kidnappings. Stone now has his own group.

Guy, are you serious?
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by snowdrops(m): 3:42pm On Sep 28, 2010
Any pictures of these osisikankwi and stone bastards?
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Solozzo(m): 3:44pm On Sep 28, 2010
In addition to the suggestions given in this topic, the police force in abia state need to be overhauled and a new commissioner of police and senior officers brought in from say Northern states. Aerial policing, CID activiity to trace kidnappers even after collecting ransom and releasing victims would also be helpful. However the most enduring abproaah in additon to effective police work is to look into dealing with some of the socioeconomic difficulties of the youth in the state as well - job creation, social welfare supports are ways of reducing crimes as well as improving morals.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by namdo(m): 3:47pm On Sep 28, 2010
IT IS ALLEGED THAT MOST OF THE KIDNAP INCIDENTS IN ABA ARE MASTERMINDED BY A CERTAIN 'POWERFUL' INDIVIDUAL FROM OBEHIE COMMUNITY IN ABIA STATE. CAN SOMEONE REVEAL HIS IDENTITY. I KNOW WE HAVE NATURAL SSS INDIVIDUALS HERE ON NAIRALAND

WHO IS THEIR SPONSOR/S ? the answer will be interesting to know. cool
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by OAM4J: 3:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
About time people stop playing politics with the lives and properties of Abians.

Declaration of a state of emergency is long overdue.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by bisiaet: 4:02pm On Sep 28, 2010
Now that so many are kicking aginst state of emergency so what is the solution? Beacause this is so sad amd so embarrassing.

In my own opinion if state of emrgency wil solve this menace it should be done right now because this is pure madness.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 28, 2010
gej is busy campaigning while nigeria is burning angry angry angry angry

what are we waiting for

for these bastards to start kidnapping newborns from maternity wards

some of those kids may already be dead angry angry angry

when will enough be enough

and as always PDP is playing their dirt games of politics - the former deputy governor was invited for a meeting with police almost as soon as he picked up his nomination form or some such
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Allwell(m): 4:21pm On Sep 28, 2010
Things have fallen apart in Abia state. Two years back I told who ever cared to listen that Abia state is already a failed state. The signs were all over the place, with individuals totting weapons about, crime spree and hostage taking. I think the Governor ought to resign because he has failed to deliver not just on security but also on infrastructure.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by bayleaf(m): 4:28pm On Sep 28, 2010
such sad news we hear everyday in abia state, that one begins to wonder if there is a Government in that state. all sort of atrocities are being perpetrated in abia.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by celemel(m): 4:38pm On Sep 28, 2010
Its now I understand why Hitler started world war II. My brothers in Abia have been seriously polluted by their crass bestial knack for filthy wealth. Aba seems to be off limits. I've lost two of my friends to the bullets of the buccaneers in Aba in the last three months. Aba is an open sore on the conscience of a deranged nation. If only we had a government; if only we had a country; if only our lives mean anything to us. Something drastic MUST happen in Abia.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by Beaf: 4:40pm On Sep 28, 2010
bayleaf:

such sad news we hear everyday in abia state, that one begins to wonder if there is a Government in that state. all sort of atrocities are being perpetrated in abia.

Orji has sold the state to the devil.

namdo:

WHO IS THEIR SPONSOR/S ? the answer will be interesting to know. cool

It wouldn't surprise me is Orji is actually using the whole of Abia as a source of sacrificial material for his primitive rituals.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by tpiah: 4:41pm On Sep 28, 2010
why don't we see this on the front pages of our national papers?

is it only on nairaland that we get informed?

good question.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by alamsdee: 4:43pm On Sep 28, 2010
vote goodluck jonathan for another 4 years, dem go columbia all of una finish
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by slap1(m): 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2010
dappssee:

Guy, are you serious?
Are you serious, too? Check my previous posts, I've been posting about these kidnappings for about one month.
snowdrops:

Any pictures of these osisikankwi and stone bastards?
No, unfortunately. Osisikankwu is outwardly calm. You won't believe he's behind all these when you see him. Stone is a stubborn goat. If he had listened to Osisi's advice, things wouldn't have been this bad. They're presently at war with themselves; I hope they kill each other.
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by MaziUche0(m): 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2010
100% Supported for Aba area. . .

Not all of Abia State is in flames. .
Re: Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): by sexy74(m): 4:45pm On Sep 28, 2010
the governor is busy campaigning

for second term in office.

he should be kidnapped then he will

know that it is serious.

this kidnappers na wah for una ooh

are u people so hungry that it is

kids going to or from school u now kidnap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SSS Arrests Masterminds Of Jaji Bombing / Nigerians Affected By Xenophobic Attacks Will Be Compensated - Obanikoro / "We Are Dying, Pay Our Salaries" - Kogi Workers Tell Governor Yahaya Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.