Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,815 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools (1944 Views)

Tinubu Insists On Faleke For The Kogi Supplementary Election / Fashola/Shekarau 2015 Presidential Ticket???? / Terror List: Close Islamic Schools And Be Delisted - Us Tells Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by tlops(m): 5:36pm On May 05, 2007
The Kano State Governor, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau, on Thursday ordered non-Islamic schools to introduce veils for their female students.
Source saturday punch.

I thought this guy had intension of contesting in the last election, he would have turned the whole nation into something else,
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by namun(f): 3:29pm On May 29, 2009
why is it that some particular muslins carry their religion on their fore head. how many times do you see Christians ordering people based on their beliefs or what sort of rubbish is this. even Muslims in the south do not behave like imbeciles. look like i always say whether i am a muslim or a Christian, don't have the right to force other people to accept my beliefs so why should non=muslims schools wear veils. i dear say, this man is a big idiot and a bigot who is as stupid as a mule likewise anybody that thinks like him the world is not made for islam alone so keep your beliefs to yourselves. ok terrorists
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 29, 2009
anybody who knows a relative who live in the North should convince them to find other means of livelihood in the South.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by asha80(m): 3:36pm On May 29, 2009
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by dnex(m): 5:41pm On May 29, 2009
Colonial Mentality! So you people don't know that we are imposing the system of dressing we got from Christian Europeans on everybody down south. They too are now trying to impose the dressing that was passed down to them from Arab Muslims on everybody up north.

Imagine, today, you cannot work in several companies without a suit and tie. Very soon, the Northern states will not allowing anyone attend a formal event or work at any formal organization without a Jallabiyah.

Our problem here is that we discriminate without knowing it.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by eiete(f): 5:47pm On May 29, 2009
No problem!

Those in the south will do the same thing.

Their girls will no long be allow to wear head scaf to schools in the south.

Simple.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by devimcy: 5:54pm On May 29, 2009
my problem with islam

is that it is a hypocritical edvice

for thieves, murderers, touts etc

n that's why i insist that allah is not God

they are anti peace always looking for uproar in the name of religion
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by blacksta(m): 5:59pm On May 29, 2009
Any southerner that chooses to remain in the north does so at their own risk
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by MaiSuya(m): 6:14pm On May 29, 2009
Which Saturday Punch did OP get this story from? I've never heard such claims.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by ezeagu(m): 6:14pm On May 29, 2009
mikeansy:

anybody who knows a relative who live in the North should convince them to find other means of livelihood in the South.

*applause* *applause* *applause* *applause*
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by ezeagu(m): 6:16pm On May 29, 2009
devimcy:

my problem with islam

is that it is a hypocritical edvice

for thieves, murderers, touts etc

n that's why i insist that allah is not God

they are anti peace always looking for uproar in the name of religion

Speaking on hypocritical, I hope your not Christi. . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by bawomolo(m): 6:49pm On May 29, 2009
why do these type of threads turn into north vs south
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 29, 2009
bawomolo:

why do these type of threads turn into north vs south

because the issue in itself is

Nigeria is majority muslim north and majority christain south

@topic

I have come to the conclusion that the issue of Secularity of the Nigerian society is turning into Abortion debate in America . . . no middle ground.

I think the only solution is that those who serve in the Civil Service and Military and Police should have the option to decline if they are posted to the North. The idea that you can't lead the kind of life you lead in the South over there in the North is ridiculous.

So since the Northerners want to implement 100% sharia . . . . and the State has practically turned a blind eye to bringing to book those who kill their fellow compatriot in the name of religion . . . . . I think it will be criminal for the State to compel Civil Servants and Military men with Families to serve in the North since their security and welfare is not guaranteed.

I think all southern private Businessmen in the North should relocate to the South for now while Civil Servants are given the option of staying away from the North until such a time when the North is ready to accomodate others.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by blackspade(m): 7:15pm On May 29, 2009
blacksta:

Any southerner that  chooses to remain in the north does so at their own risk
True talk.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by MrCrackles(m): 7:17pm On May 29, 2009
If this story is true, then i think Shekarau is an inconsiderate and intolerant idiot!
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by AloyEmeka9: 6:18pm On Jun 06, 2009
This is ridiculous.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by ElRazur: 6:22pm On Jun 06, 2009
Allahu akbar. Since this is a religion issue, would it be a nice time to let people know that Prophet Muhammed had sex with a 9 year old? grin

Allahu Akbar.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by AloyEmeka9: 6:37pm On Jun 06, 2009
He who lives in a glass house should learn not to throw stone first. undecided
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by ElRazur: 6:40pm On Jun 06, 2009
Not at all. I am fed up as to how people use religion for their own greed and purpose. Mind you, that have been happening from a long time.

As much as people talk about Islam, little do people [muslims including] realise that it is recorded in the quran that Muhammed married a girl at 8 and had sex with her at 9. It is a fact, and as such it aint like am "throwing stones".

grin
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by congoshine(m): 7:58pm On Jun 06, 2009
The solution is simple - true fedralism & limited handouts from the FG.

I've lived in the middle East & no one imposes this on non-muslims.

This 'sharia' in Nigeria is just Wahabi Islam found in Saudi Arabia.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by naijaking1: 8:11pm On Jun 06, 2009
@Poster
If this story turns out to be true, I was wondering why somebody would not challange him to the Nigerian supreme court. If the court rules in his favor, then the southern states know what to do about non-christian students in their midst.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by AloyEmeka9: 8:12pm On Jun 06, 2009
naijaking1:

@Poster
If this story turns out to be true, I was wondering why somebody would not challange him to the Nigerian supreme court. If the court rules in his favor, then the southern states know what to do about non-christian students in their midst.
Like what? Force them to read the bible everyday? grin
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by naijaking1: 8:15pm On Jun 06, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Like what? Force them to read the bible everyday? grin
Don't get carried away, we're talking about dressing here
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by DisGuy: 8:18pm On Jun 06, 2009
naijaking1:

@Poster

somebody as in southern lawyers?

i doubt very much southern states will do anything to non-Christian students!
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by AloyEmeka9: 8:26pm On Jun 06, 2009
naijaking1:

Don't get carried away, we're talking about dressing here
What is christian form of dressing that you may impose on muslims?. You want to strip them of their islamic attire?. They don't wear that thing to school in the east, so what else do you want?
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by naijaking1: 8:28pm On Jun 06, 2009
Dis Guy:

somebody as in southern lawyers?

i doubt very much southern states will do anything to non-Christian students!
Getting the supreme court to play its constitutional role in building a modern Nigeria has to be undertaken by any patriotic citizen. It's ok to have Gani and Soyinka raise dust, but without supreme court involvement, everything would be very limited in scope.

The southern states don't necessarily have to retaliate against muslims, but then it would be obvious that a female student can't for example, avoid sports and physical excersise on religious grounds anymore.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by redsun(m): 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2009
Man,these animals are encroaching nigeria with their backward and destructive fundamentalism.Armagedom added to the dungeon.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by Jairzinho(m): 8:41pm On Jun 06, 2009
naijaking1:

@Poster

Testing the legality of this in the courts is a good idea,however therein lies 2 problems:

1.Enforcement of court rulings is a BIG,BIG problem in Nigeria
2.RELIGION is a BIG,BIG issue in Nigeria & any contrary ruling will lead to problems due to the really sensitive nature of religion & the very HIGH illiteracy & unemployment especially in the North(i.e riots,killings etc)

The solution as advanced by someone earlier is for everyone to avoid these places,the other non-sharia states should push for TRUE federalism & lets take it from there. When u produce almost nothing & you have no business activity(& taxes) to fund all your welfare programs,one day the money from Saudi will certaily dry up grin grin
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by DisGuy: 8:44pm On Jun 06, 2009
southern states are whimps all gra gra and displaying their phd about online grin

na so cattle rearers just they do you like cow!
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by naijaking1: 9:19pm On Jun 06, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

What is christian form of dressing that you may impose on muslims?. You want to strip them of their islamic attire?. They don't wear that thing to school in the east, so what else do you want?
Not matured enough to see the big picture shocked
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by naijaking1: 9:27pm On Jun 06, 2009
Jairzinho:

Testing the legality of this in the courts is a good idea,however therein lies 2 problems:

1.Enforcement of court rulings is a BIG,BIG problem in Nigeria
2.RELIGION is a BIG,BIG issue in Nigeria & any contrary ruling will lead to problems due to the really sensitive nature of religion & the very HIGH illiteracy & unemployment especially in the North(i.e riots,killings etc)

The solution as advanced by someone earlier is for everyone to avoid these places,the other non-sharia states should push for TRUE federalism & lets take it from there. When u produce almost nothing & you have no business activity(& taxes) to fund all your welfare programs,one day the money from Saudi will certaily dry up grin grin
The legal pathway is a tried and tested non-violent means of civil equality that has worked in many other parts of the World. If segregation could be ended by Brown vs. Board of Education in the US, there is no reason why a small non-muslim girl Kano indigene would not sue the state all the way to the supreme court (with the help of a civil rights group).
Whether a court ruling will be obeyed or not is a discussion for another day. Many people from the south have no idea the extent the average northern politician wants to impose his will on the rest us.
Re: Shekarau Insists On Veils For Non-islamic Schools by Jairzinho(m): 9:42pm On Jun 06, 2009
naijaking1:

The legal pathway is a tried and tested non-violent means of civil equality that has worked in many other parts of the World. If segregation could be ended by Brown vs. Board of Education in the US, there is no reason why a small non-muslim girl Kano indigene would not sue the state all the way to the supreme court (with the help of a civil rights group).
Whether a court ruling will be obeyed or not is a discussion for another day. Many people from the south have no idea the extent the average northern politician wants to impose his will on the rest us.
The rule of law & its enforcement are things the Americans hold dear,same cannot be said of Nigeria or why else would the police wait for the presidents directive to enforce election tribunal decisions?? The points I have laid out mean the legal option will not work,what you need is a political solution becos this is essentially political sharia. . . . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Did Not Really Mean To Detonate - Mutalab. / Ibb Campaign Posters (pictures) / Why Are You Soo Igbo Yet Denying It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.