Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Are The Police Check Points Back? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Police Check Points Back? (2395 Views)

The 92 Armed Herdsmen Arrested By Soldiers At Check-points (Photos) / Buhari Orders Removal Of Military Check Points / Particulars Motorist Need To Present At Police Check Point (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are The Police Check Points Back? by seun0622(m): 12:17pm On Sep 30, 2010
Some weeks back, a directive was given to the Men of the Nigerian Police to remove every road blocks across the country following series of tragic incidents, intimidation and extortion that these road blocks have caused.
Fortunately, Nigerian welcomed this Idea and eaved a sigh of relief but it is quite unfortunate that even after the said removal of road blocks from the road, Men of the Nigerian Police force are still seen at very obscure corners and even in open places still extorting and intimidating motorists and cyclists. A police officer was once heard complaining on the havoc the removal of the road blocks have caused them as he claims he now depends solely on his salary rather than before when he rakes in an average of N5,000 per day from the road blocks et al.
Subsequently for some days now, quite a number of road blocks have been springing up again and they are back to business as usual. These policemen are nothing but criminals and armed illeterates. I am very sure more havoc will be committed if this is allowed to continue.
Fellow Nairalanders, Is there any directive bringing back these road blocks or the Policemen are simply taking laws into their hands?
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 30, 2010
NO directive
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 30, 2010
The toll-gates are still functioning to the fullest capacity !
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by oludashmi(f): 12:51pm On Sep 30, 2010
Have police ever stopped being on their check points? They can never stop it cos they make more from it and kill more with it.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by TeskyMan(m): 1:50pm On Sep 30, 2010
Poster its just a pity, Police men never for once stopped road blocks. I live on Mainland, Surulere to be precise in Lagos. At about 8pm at night, they would have already resumed extortion at Obele Junction adjacent to Ogunlana Street along Itire - Lawanson Road, Surulere. They are always there to collect N50 from Okada. Early in the morning around 5.15am at Ishaga junction along the same Itire - Lawanson Road they are always there. I keep wondering how police men think, how could somebody wake up very early i the morning to start perpetrating such an evil act. Other places are Adeniran Ogunsanya, Kilo, Aguda, several junctions around Kilo and Aguda, they will hide and look out for Okadas to forcefully retrieve N50 from them. Na all these thing they add to Hold-Up wey dey dey road.

They have never stopped for once and I hope the new IG will stand by his order.

Police, chai, I hate them will passion. May God forgive me.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Ournaija: 2:21pm On Sep 30, 2010
The will not change until you make examples out of them.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Emperoh(m): 2:28pm On Sep 30, 2010
I just came back from the east last weekend and i do say the directive was relatively obey.
I didn't see as much check points as one would experience on the Ogun state axis of the Benin Ore highway
It was after Ore that pockets of them were seen doing what they know best.

Then Benin Asaba highway had the worst i experienced on a day.
SO somehow, i think, the directive is gradually giving way!!!
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Pukkah: 3:18pm On Sep 30, 2010
The policemen in Nigeria are incorrigible. They lack discipline and good orientation. They lack equipment and Intelligence. They lack morale, passion, and commitment.

The directive on cancellation of check points was just an empty declaration that was not meant to last because it didn't emanate from any diagnosis or analysis of the huge problems confronting the police. It was made by a top cop that was under pressure and had to say something.

The problem of police extortion runs deep; starts from the police stations and only ends on the roads. The constables, corporals, and sergeants you see on the roads all send returns from the extortion and bribery to their superiors all the way! embarassed

We need a courageous and decisive leader who would roll-up his sleeves to carry out a far-reaching and sustained reforms of the Police in order to clean the Augean stable.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by marcus1234: 3:18pm On Sep 30, 2010
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by usbcable(m): 3:47pm On Sep 30, 2010
I never noticed them stopping their road blocks/checkpoints.
they still maintain 100% ''toll gate'' here in ketu. And they continue with their ''personal''revenue generation.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by blacksta(m): 3:49pm On Sep 30, 2010
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by udennaa: 3:59pm On Sep 30, 2010
~Bluetooth:

The toll-gates are still functioning to the fullest capacity !
grin grin grin grin
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Ranoscky(m): 4:01pm On Sep 30, 2010
blacksta:

Why do you paste all these dumb flags

You better don't waste your time eith that Avatar.

He's an Alien seekin for assylum in planet earth !!!
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by fender(m): 4:12pm On Sep 30, 2010
@Poster,
they never stopped to mount checkpoint, ok extortion points. if u doubt me, there's one at kudirat abiola way by the zenith bank. they hang there at night to extort okada riders. Mcheeeww!!!
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Reference(m): 5:01pm On Sep 30, 2010
This thread should be rated AMP (Amusement Purposes) only. Talking about the police is like Steven Hawkins quest for the origins of the universe.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by eros(m): 5:14pm On Sep 30, 2010
Police!!! Police!!! Police!!! Police!!!  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by keyiwon(m): 5:44pm On Sep 30, 2010
How else do you want the men to make returns to their superiors, or would you prefer they resort to robbery in the real sense of it
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by MRMoneyE(m): 6:04pm On Sep 30, 2010
the  check points will soon be replaced by CCTV CAMERA, to enable the police track drivers
down for their 20Naira even at far away distance
   grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Spyker: 6:40pm On Sep 30, 2010
There was no dismantled checks points here in Port Harcourt instead it has increased with new spots being placed. Now, a road that usually have two checks points have either increase to three or four.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Dede1(m): 7:09pm On Sep 30, 2010
@OP

Did they ever leave?
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by alanbolo(m): 7:57pm On Sep 30, 2010
Lets bombard GEJ Facebook page, maybe he will give pressure to the new IG.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by seun0622(m): 8:28pm On Sep 30, 2010
alanbolo:

Lets bombard GEJ Facebook page, maybe he will give pressure to the new IG.

This seems to be a very good Idea as it appears Mr President believes so much in the comments and complains of people on Facebook. He has taken very Important decision in the past based on facebook comments.

Lets give it a try!
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by UyiIredia(m): 8:33pm On Sep 30, 2010
Are The Police Check Points Back?

they never disappeared in the first place undecided
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Mehiedu(m): 4:57am On Oct 01, 2010
Even if you cut off the NOSE of a dog so dat it will be fair,after completely healing it will still turn black.so broda nothing can be done about these criminals in black uniform,it is in thier blood to extort innocent people.even men.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by opabukun(m): 11:09am On Oct 01, 2010
Fellow NL, let us get pictures of police or and athers law enforcement agents in the act!!!
And paste it all over the country with some loud voice, weda this will go a long way,
HAVE I SAID SOMETIN MEANINGFUL?
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Kenyanstar: 1:39pm On Oct 01, 2010
@ opabukun

That's nonsense!~!!!
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Kobojunkie: 2:46pm On Oct 01, 2010
Kenyanstar:

@ opabukun

That's nonsense!~!!!

How exactly is that nonsense?
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by sley4life(m): 6:09pm On Oct 01, 2010
Men in black in the country are not diffr from criminals
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Jeovy(m): 4:05am On Oct 03, 2010
@topic

they never left
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by Osama10(m): 12:59am On Oct 04, 2010
You mean the legalized tax collectors.
Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by jaffi: 4:50pm On Oct 04, 2010
Maybe this will answer your question.

Re: Are The Police Check Points Back? by ud4u: 4:19pm On Oct 05, 2010
No law of such was implimented, no be to talk be the thing but na to do am

(1) (Reply)

First Nigerian In Space / No Case Of Corruption Against Pef Boss, Mrs. Sharon Adefunke Kasali / Obasanjo’s Letter, Attack On Niger Delta — Ijaw Groups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.