Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,797 members, 7,956,046 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:25 PM

Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! (3170 Views)

''Engine Replacement, For Vw Bora'' / What Is Wrong With Volkswagen Bora Or Passat? / Information On Volkswagen Bora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Acelifted: 1:08am On Oct 01, 2010
Dear Nairalanders,

I need your help. My VW Bora suddenly caught fire and got some wires burnt. However, all the burnt components have been replaced but the car wont start. I need a tested and trusted mechanic who can fix this car. Its been with the mechanic for 3 months now and they have simply been fidgeting with it.

I dont mind selling it before or after the repairs. The exterior and interior, including the four tyres, deck, upholstery, accessories etc are still very new.

Please contact me on 08036403302 if you have any information on a mechanic or interested in buying. You may wish to buy as scrap (even though the car is still very new to be sold as scrap).
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Akaraiwe(m): 7:38am On Oct 03, 2010
what year is the bora?
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Acelifted: 10:05pm On Oct 03, 2010
Its a 2000 Model. kindly check back tomorrow for the pictures. you may also wish to give your email so i can send it to you. thanks
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 03, 2010
Acelifted:

Dear Nairalanders,
I need your help. My VW Bora suddenly caught fire and got some wires burnt. However, all the burnt components have been replaced but the car wont start. I need a tested and trusted mechanic who can fix this car. Its been with the mechanic for 3 months now and they have simply been fidgeting with it.

From your post, I'd conclude your car suffered an electrical fire, starting somewhere under the dash / fascia? And I've got a feeling the car had an aftermarket stereo head unit / amplifier fitted, probably badly too.

All the burnt components have been replaced, but what exactly was done? The 2000 model Volkswagen Bora / Jetta has an ECU protected by an immobiliser. If communication between the transpondered key and the ECU are missing, it won't start. It'll run for less than a second each time, then shut down.

There's also the added possibility the ECU's been fried. If your car suffered an electrical short, just before she caught fire, then the ECU could have suffered a voltage surge / current spike, enough to kill it.

Can you tell us what happened prior to the fire? Was the car driving at the time? How quickly was the battery disconnected, and is the OBD diagnostic port still functional?
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Akaraiwe(m): 3:05am On Oct 04, 2010
Oga Siena!!! shocked all this grammar ,our local mekaniki ati rewire no go fit understand am oh,OBD, FRIED, nna break it down oh! grin
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by ping2ping: 1:49pm On Oct 04, 2010
@Sienna
Please i need your help. I know you are very vast in knowledge of cars.

I'm planning to start executive transport business in nigeria with Toyota Previa (94-96 model). My concern now is how durable and reliable is TOYOTA PREVIA? Does it have any know issues?

From enquiries i made, people seem to prefer Toyota Siena, but its too expensive for me. Previa has same seat capacity with Siena but less luxurious than Siena.

Please i would be glad to benefit from your wealth of experience in cars.
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 05, 2010
I would certainly go for the Previa. It's tough and reliable. It's not all about being new. The Previa / Estima is still in use in many countries worldwide, testament to their dependability. There are no known issues with them. As it's for commercial use, I'd advice you go for the 2,2L diesel version. The regular 2,4L petrol engine may be too thirsty for use as a commercial vehicle.
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Acelifted: 10:47am On Oct 05, 2010
@ping2ping

I made some inquiries with my mechanic. i also considered buying at one time. the only issue he raised was that mechanics go through lots of difficulties when carrying out repairs on the car. This because the engine is too close to the ground and would have to go underneath most times to fix the minutest problems. consequently, they shy away from it as the money they get from the repairs is not in anyway commensurate to the wahala involved.

I just reported what he told me. you may wish to confirm that.
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 07, 2010
Acelifted:

@ping2ping

I made some inquiries with my mechanic. i also considered buying at one time. the only issue he raised was that mechanics go through lots of difficulties when carrying out repairs on the car. This because the engine is too close to the ground and would have to go underneath most times to fix the minutest problems. consequently, they shy away from it as the money they get from the repairs is not in anyway commensurate to the wahala involved.

I just reported what he told me. you may wish to confirm that.

One of the reasons I sometimes ignore people's cries for help.

You post a query, you get a detailed answer, but choose not to respond, not even let us know how you got on with the car? Don't you feel others can learn a thing or two from your experience? Just seems a waste of time trying to be of help!
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Acelifted: 12:54am On Oct 08, 2010
@ Sienna
Am sorry man. I am still trying to understand all the "very technical" questions you asked. I called my Mech to ask, but i guess He also confused. i have decided to sell it as scrap.
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by ping2ping: 11:42am On Oct 12, 2010
@Siena
Thank you for the info. Could you please confirm what issue raised by @Acelifted?

@Acelifted
I will make further inquiries on the issue you raised.
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by insight04: 2:49pm On Jan 12, 2011
Re: Help! My Vw Bora Is Killing Me! by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 13, 2011
Good day Mr Siena,

I want to also learn from you vast knowledge in vehicle. In a few days I'm about to close a deal with some one to buy his Bora 2003 Auto Shift(80k milage), I understand the 2003 comes with the VW MkIV engine, what I dont know is if the Gear boxes on the 2003 series are problematic after 100k milage as is the speculated reports of Golf 3 users whose vehicles come with DUU gear box and MkIII engines. Please HELP Mr Siena. Thanks
Siena:

I would certainly go for the Previa. It's tough and reliable. It's not all about being new. The Previa / Estima is still in use in many countries worldwide, testament to their dependability. There are no known issues with them. As it's for commercial use, I'd advice you go for the 2,2L diesel version. The regular 2,4L petrol engine may be too thirsty for use as a commercial vehicle.

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Causes Of Overheating In A Vehicle, Mercedes 230 / Dashboard Lights Malfunction On 2006 Honda Pilot / Water Entered Into My Toyota Rav4 2005 Brain Box

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.