Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

Information On Volkswagen Bora - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Information On Volkswagen Bora (17219 Views)

I Need A Volkswagen Bora Engine / ''Engine Replacement, For Vw Bora'' / What Is Wrong With Volkswagen Bora Or Passat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Information On Volkswagen Bora by fegflu: 1:02pm On Nov 17, 2009
Hi there,
Would anyone have an idea of this car. Please let me know cause thinking to have one. It's second hand. Still smell and look new but never know anyone who have/had VW Bora in the past. My knowledge in this car is limited and i want critics of the car so i dont regret buyin it.
Appreciate your recommendation and criticism.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by Nobody: 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2009
The Bora, like most German cars is solid and well built.

If you like the VW Golf IV, you'll love the VW Bora, which is a Golf IV, but with a boot, rather than a hatch.

Is your car a Euro-spec one? As if US, it would be badged as a Jetta. Either way, you'll have no issues with her, as long as she's looked after properly, and serviced at the recommended intervals.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by fegflu: 1:10pm On Nov 17, 2009
So y is it that most people dont used it in Nigeria. Cause wen u drive and look around few people use Volkwagen Bora in Nigeria.
Reply,
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 17, 2009
Nigerians are generally more into Japanese cars, it's something they're comfortable with. And as you know, Nigerians don't like change much. smiley
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by OMG190: 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2009
the car is too problematic

too much electrical problems and stuffs~
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by fegflu: 10:17pm On Nov 17, 2009
OMG,

Wat do u mean by the car is too problematic. u said electrical fault. can u b specific
I mean wat are the common electrical faults that you experience.

Reply lo
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by Nobody: 12:38am On Nov 18, 2009
OMG190:

the car is too problematic

too much electrical problems and stuffs~

Could you try being a bit more specific?

"Electrical problems and stuff" is about as vague as you could possibly get.

Are you speaking from an engineering point of view, an owner's point of view, or as a third party, i.e told by someone else they're problematic? Expanding a bit would help the OP.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by familierl: 1:33am On Nov 18, 2009
The car is well built and sold, looks prestigious too as little as it looks.if a car is not properly mentained it will give prolems. i will be importing one soon too.
go for it.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by ladej(m): 1:38am On Nov 18, 2009
Quick Summary of the VW Bora
OVERALLVW Bora Overall Rating

The Volkswagen Bora is an informed choice for anybody looking for quality, value and effortless style. Whilst it may offer more attractive used pricing than an equivalent Golf, it certainly couldn't be labelled cheap but if you're going to buy one try to aim for the 115bhp diesel or the five or six cylinder models. The only customers likely to be disappointed by the Bora are those expecting a wildly entertaining drive. Whilst the specs may look promising, the Bora is just a trifle dull on the road. Still, you can't have everything. Can you?
THE BOOT’S COSMETIC COUNTER

Americans and Europeans rarely see eye to eye on matters of automotive taste. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the comparative sales of Volkswagen Boras and Golfs. The Yanks can't get enough of the booted Bora, outselling the hatchback Golf three to one, yet over here the trickle of Boras leaving Volkswagen showrooms is engulfed by the tidal wave of Golf variants. So much for the cultural discourse, but how does this impact on the used buyer? It basically means that if you've no objection to having a boot, a used Bora will be in less demand than the equivalent Golf. Therefore, it will be cheaper, enabling you to save significant sums whilst still benefiting from the Volkswagen ownership package that has proved so successful of late. A Volkswagen for Ford money? That's about the size of it.
Used VW Bora for sale
History of the Bora
VW Bora Review

Booted Golfs go back a long way. The Jetta was the first, a car with a boot so large it looked like it was trying to claw its way up the rear window and engulf the rest of the car. To be able to proceed without dragging its posterior along the Queen's highway when the boot was full, Volkswagen chose to equip the Jetta with rear springs apparently made from a solid billet of steel, thus giving a teeth-shatteringly firm ride. Resultant sales were minimal. The Vento came next, with its more sophisticated suspension. Unfortunately, with its grotesquely distended rear end, it resembled something in a pickling jar at Ripley's Believe It Or Not. It too sold mainly to police forces and to human traffickers with a soft spot for quality fit and finish. It wasn't until the introduction of the Bora in 1999 that Volkswagen proved that a Golf with a boot could be a genuinely attractive proposition. Based on the Golf Mk IV, the Bora was, if anything, even prettier than its hatchback sibling, especially in plusher guises. Initially available with five engines, three petrols and two diesels, the Bora had an uphill task on its hands to convert buyers who were passionate for parcel shelves. The petrol engines were all tried and tested Golf units, kicking off with a 100bhp 1.6, with the ubiquitous 115bhp 2.0-litre unit and the oddball 150bhp V5 supporting it. Surprisingly, there was no place in the Bora range for Volkswagen's 'default' 1.8-litre engine in either normally aspirated or turbocharged guise. Diesel buyers had the choice of two 1.9-litre direct injection turbo diesel engines, one with 110bhp, boasting Volkswagen's innovative Pump Duse technology, the other with 90bhp, not boasting Volkswagen's innovative Pump Duse technology. Both were well received, and the 110bhp PD engine received a small power boost to 115bhp in October 1999, with a five-speed automatic tiptronic gearbox option being offered shortly after. This engine was in turn replaced by a 130bhp TDi unit in 2001, and the 110bhp unit was reintroduced to give a three pronged diesel attack alongside the budget 90bhp versions.January 2000 saw the introduction of the flagship model of the range, the 204bhp Bora 2.8 V6 4Motion, fitted with, as the name implies, four-wheel drive (in this instance putting this power to the ground through the Haldex-differential of Audi's TT coupe). In December of the same year a number of changes were made across the Bora range. Volkswagen upped the power of the 1.6-litre automatic cars to 102bhp, made a number of cosmetic changes to the wheel choices available, added CD auto changers as standard to Sport specification cars and, most significantly, boosted the V5 engine's power from 150bhp to 170bhp. A sporty ST specification was introduced in summer 2001 to sit between S and SE trim levels available with either the 1.8T engine or the TDI 130 diesel unit. The TDi diesel range was reappraised at the end of 2001 to consist of 100, 130 and barnstorming 150bhp Pump Duse variant. A value added Highline model was launched in early 2004 priced marginally above the SE but offering far superior equipment levels.
Used VW Bora for sale
VW Bora Road Test

Despite its sports saloon pretensions, the Bora never really feels alive in the same way as an Alfa Romeo 156. The additional weight of all that silicon-damped, auto-dimming, rain sensing, wax-injected quality has dulled the Bora's senses somewhat. Despite this, Volkswagen have managed to cherry-pick the best engines from the Golf range and leave behind the duffers like the 1.4 and 1.8-litre units. Even the base 1.6-litre Bora is respectably refined, but becomes a bit self-conscious when shown a corner. The most popular compromise in the petrol range is the manual 2.0-litre Sport, which reaches 60mph in 11 seconds on the way to 121mph, performance figures which would leave owners with the prospect of getting acquainted with a receding view of the back of a Proton Wira 1.6 or a Renault Scenic 2.0-litre.For a bit more power, the used Bora buyer needs to look at the 115bhp diesel, which can return an average of 54 mpg or the lusty V5 and 4Motion models which can't. The V5 is a good target – in its 170bhp form it retailed for the same price as a 105bhp BMW 316, so it's easy to work out the value proposition there. If you do want the quickest Bora, the 4Motion is streets ahead, with a relaxed air belying its ability to sprint to 60mph in 7.4 seconds before topping out at 146mph. It never feels particularly sporting, even when used hard and may disappoint the purchaser looking for a cut price practical alternative to an Audi TT, much of whose underlying mechanicals it shares.
Used VW Bora for sale
Buying a VW Bora
VW Bora Review

Whilst not quite up there with the likes of Toyota and Subaru in customer satisfaction surveys, Volkswagen have an impressive reliability record and the Bora range has yet to spawn any significant faults. Despite failing to pip the Japanese in terms of ultimate reliability, no oriental rival can even approach the Bora's bulletproof feel-good factor. Soft touch, rubber and leather Audi-ness has seeped into every pore of the car and it feels unremittingly substantial. When buying used, look for a decent service record and check the obvious things like panel fit and so on. Boras have never proved particularly popular with the light-fingered fraternity, but it may well pay to get an HPI check, especially on suspiciously affordable examples. Despite the addition of more powerful models, the Bora has cultivated a mature image that deters boy racers, the flipside of which is a handful of hard-treated ex-fleet cars. Otherwise a used Bora is a sound and surprisingly cost-effective buy.
Used VW Bora for sale
VW Bora Typical Pricing

If the Bora was a lager it would be reassuringly expensive, with values starting at £3,000 for a 1999 T-plated 1.6 S. Though this is by no means cheap, it still represents a comparative bargain, being £500 cheaper than an equivalent Golf. You'll need to fork out another £300 for an SE specification, and another £100 on top of that for an SE automatic. Opt for a Bora 2.0-litre and that same 1999 T-plate will cost £3,400 in SE trim and only slightly more for a Sport. If four cylinders don't appeal, a 150bhp V5 starts at £3,500, or just under £4,000 with an automatic box. The 170bhp V5 and 4motion models are rare in the used arena, so compare and contrast values on a car-by-car basis, as prices will fluctuate wildly. Diesel power starts at around £3,200 for a 90bhp S, and another £200 for an SE. The excellent 110bhp cars start at just under £3,500 for SE spec and £4,500 for Sport trim with the 130bhp models coming in at £5,500 on Y plates.
Used VW Bora for sale
VW Bora Parts

(approx based on a 1999 Bora 1.6 SE ex Vat) Cue for some sharp intakes of breath. An exhaust system with catalyst is about £730. A clutch assembly will be around £180 and an alternator should be close to £600. Brake pads front and rear are about £50 and £35 respectively whilst a starter motor retails at around £120.
Used VW Bora for sale

source- http://www.compucars.co.uk/car-reviews/vw/review/?bora
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by Volunteer: 9:35am On Nov 18, 2009
I have had one for 3 years.

Yeah, German car, drives well and hard very reliable in terms of performance. You however need to be wary of costs as well. Relative to Toyotas and Hondas, Bora is much more expensive to maintain. Parts cost at least 3 to 4 times more than the average Toyota vehicle. Electricals can be an issue but that would also depend on how you use the car and where you service/maintain it. Also, should mention this. The engines are quite sensitive and knock easily if adequate preventive maintenance is not taken and a replacement tokunbo engine for a Bora 1.6 typically costs 3 times that of a Honda Babyboy.
Overall, you need to be really prepared financially to maintain a Bora.

1 Like

Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 18, 2009
Engine "knock" (failure of big-end / main bearings) in any car, is usually as a result of inadequate lubrication.

If the oil is allowed to run low, or the car is drived hard when cold, then the conrod bearings will wear out in a short time. Same applies to crankshaft main bearings. This gives rise to the characteristic "knock" at mid to high RPM. In extreme cases, the affected conrod and piston/s will smash a hole through the side of the block, due to excessive play.

This applies to any internal combustion engine, petrol or diesel.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by viperman: 10:59am On Nov 18, 2009
Volunteer:

I have had one for 3 years.

Yeah, German car, drives well and hard very reliable in terms of performance. You however need to be wary of costs as well. Relative to Toyotas and Hondas, Bora is much more expensive to maintain. Parts cost at least 3 to 4 times more than the average Toyota vehicle. Electricals can be an issue but that would also depend on how you use the car and where you service/maintain it. Also, should mention this. The engines are quite sensitive and knock easily if adequate preventive maintenance is not taken and a replacement tokunbo engine for a Bora 1.6 typically costs 3 times that of a Honda Babyboy.
Overall, you need to be really prepared financially to maintain a Bora.

The boldened part used to be true, but not any more, thanks to global recession, most people have started selling their german cars to get the more fuel economy japanese cars, thereby making their parts toooooo expensive in the market.
In summary, Law of Demand and Supply has affected the costs of the japanese parts.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by german007(m): 11:05am On Nov 18, 2009
Sienna.

From your point of view, Do you think it'l ever be possible for the average nigerian to drop their unexplainable obsession for japanese cars, and make them realise the joy and pleasure they can derive from german cars?.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by jfking2005(m): 11:09am On Nov 18, 2009
i will advise dont go near it,

i have an uncle who uses it but ever regreted buying the car till date.

Th car is too sensitive for an average naija man, be warned !!!!!!
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by samaru: 11:59am On Nov 18, 2009
according to my mechanic it is too sensitive mostly the engine part of it because the down of the engine has aluminium covering that is not good for present lagos roads.I heard that any slight pressure on it leads to breakage of engine though am using golf 3 still durable than bora
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by german007(m): 12:08pm On Nov 18, 2009
@samaru

The problem's result from inadequate and improper mantainance.

German cars are indeed very solid and reliable if well looked after. The problem in nigeria is that a lot of car owners will rather take their car to a roadside ,under the bridge mechanic and pay them cheap labour ignoring the high possibility that they are highly incompetent and perhaps only know their everyday japanese cars properly. German car need to be well maintained and cared for by only people who know them well.

Regards
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 18, 2009
samaru:

according to my mechanic it is too sensitive mostly the engine part of it because the down of the engine has aluminium covering that is not good for present lagos roads.I heard that any slight pressure on it leads to breakage of engine though am using golf 3 still durable than bora

I don't follow your post - the Bora IS a Golf with a boot. If the Bora's unreliable, how come you're happy with the mechanically / electrically similar Golf?

Your mechanic's also feeding you a pack of lies, to cover his own inadequacies. By engine lower aluminium covering, I take it you mean the sump / oil pan. Most modern cars run aluminium sumps, it aids better oil cooling. The only way it would break, is if the car was driven hard over bad roads, and the sump bottomed out. Another factor is drivers that exceed the gross weight of their cars, causing the suspension to sag, bringing the sump closer to the ground.

Even a sheet metal sump will be destroyed, if it smashes into a gully / rock etc. It's nothing to do with the car, but plenty to do with the driver, and the way the car's treated!
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 18, 2009
jfking2005:

i will advise dont go near it,

i have an uncle who uses it but ever regreted buying the car till date.

Th car is too sensitive for an average naija man, be warned !!!!!!

Car's are not sensitive - owners are insensitive towards repairs, and will use quack "mechanics" that shouldn't be allowed to service a lawn mower, all in the name of saving a buck! cheesy

Time for your uncle to change his mechanic.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 18, 2009
german007:

Sienna.

From your point of view, Do you think it'l ever be possible for the average nigerian to drop their unexplainable obsession for japanese cars, and make them realise the joy and pleasure they can derive from german cars?.

I think so, with adequate outlets, and more knowledge of their cars, Nigerians will get more into the German scene.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by familierl: 1:07pm On Nov 18, 2009
The truth is, most nigerians dont have a good mentainance culture and are not literate about authomobiles or engines, as a result they end up buying a worn out engine and conclude that most of those brands are not durable.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by babeface3: 4:56pm On Nov 18, 2009
My brida, be ready to drive the car without a/c in no time period
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by fegflu: 4:59pm On Nov 18, 2009
Babyface,

Y did u say i should be ready to drive the car without A/C very soon.
Do u mean it overheats or consume petrol?
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by german007(m): 5:00pm On Nov 18, 2009
@Babeface

Sir,
I have absolutely no clue what you have written or trying to write. Dont know if it's just me, but what you have written  makes no clear sense im afraid.

Can you please kindly reexplain your self as to what your'e on about.

Regards
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by fegflu: 6:06pm On Nov 18, 2009
Volkswagen Bora
« #20 on: Today at 04:56:49 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

y did u say so babyface
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by topsy28: 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2009
Guys, lets put this matter to rest, the difference between a problematic car and a non problematic car lies in it's user, we have seen guys who buy brand new 2009 model Japanese cars and due to their bad maintainance culture have wrecked havocks on such cars, we have also seen guys who buy 1990 model German cars and are still using them till date, the difference is the Human factor, not the machine
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by sonety2k(m): 7:47pm On Nov 18, 2009
cool
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by koolchicco: 9:48pm On Nov 18, 2009
babeface3:

Anoda clueless NLer.
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by paddylo1(m): 9:53pm On Nov 18, 2009
Quick Summary of the VW Bora

QUICK SUMMARY,na im u come type that long thing,who get time to read that novel wey u type now
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by chelseabmw(m): 10:42pm On Nov 18, 2009
Volks shocked shocked poster are u serious, please go for a japanese car please, Take my advise
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by KunleA2(m): 10:49pm On Nov 18, 2009
:-x
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by ayotee2000(m): 10:53pm On Nov 18, 2009
I drive a VW Golf 4. In comparison to most Japanese cars, it's acceleration is superb, the AC freezes much faster and it's has excellent stability on the ground esp when swerving.

I'll confess and say that maintaining it is a bit more than the average Japanese car would cost me, but I get value back in my pleasurable ride. And yes, the brakes are wonderful. You can stop on a dime, seriously!
Re: Information On Volkswagen Bora by eros(m): 11:33pm On Nov 18, 2009
Ooops

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Experience With Carsbazr / My Toyota Corolla Verso Jerks When Accelerating / Jaguar Land Rover Patents A Car That Predicts Weather And Adapts Accordingly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.