Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 (12774 Views)

Photo: General Obasanjo And Mrs Remi Obasanjo On Their Wedding Day In 1963 / Emir Sanusi As A Young Child (1963 Picture) / SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by T9ksy(m): 1:09pm On Oct 07, 2010
Let me begin by saying that I am NOT out here to defend Tafa Balewa. I was not a student of History, I hardly knew who he was except that he was a Nigerian Prime Minister when Nigeria became a sovereignty state.

Don’t u then think it is essential that u ought to find out more about the guy before offering ur ill-informed opinion about him on a public forum like this? Afterall, am not a history student either but I took the time and energy to do my research on the extant participants during and after our independence. There’s no point in u admitting knowing next to nothing about TB and at the same time saying u’r not his apologist. Its obvious that u’r ill-equipped for that particular task.

I was only applying logic here when you observed in your earlier post that 'how could he afford to send his son to England immediately he became a Prime Minister?' The bone of contention here is AFFORDABILITY right?

How can u apply such a reasoning process to a/my post without engaging the aid of a pre-existing knowledgebase? The bone of contention is not exactly affordability but rather/also the moral premise. He cannot educate his constituency but deemed it fit to send his son to England for exclusive PRIMARY school education.

Now, was Tafa Balewa our best candidate for the post of prime minister then? No Sir, there were better candidates in the persons of Azikiwe,Awolowo, Enahoro and co.

So why then was he given the post? A typical manifestation of Mediocrity, I presume. Which unfortunately has been the focal point of our conundrum, since independence.

Would they have been more competent than him?Awolowo and co were NEVER tested at that level, so there can be no basis for comparison.

Awo performed wonders in the western region then. So too, did Zik in his region. At the centre, either one of the two would have done far better than this pro-western, lucidly-spoken grade II teacher who thinks as evident from his 1959 speech , that the brits are the best thing since sliced-bread.
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by Dapo4u(m): 5:57pm On Oct 07, 2010
T9ksy:

Don’t u then think it is essential that u ought to find out more about the guy before offering your ill-informed opinion about him on a public forum like this? Afterall, am not a history student either but I took the time and energy to do my research on the extant participants during and after our independence. There’s no point in u admitting knowing next to nothing about TB and at the same time saying u’r not his apologist. Its obvious that u’r ill-equipped for that particular task.

Sir, you read what you want to believe in. To some people, TB was a visionary  leader and a symbol of unity especially in the North, while to others, he was not. I do not belong to either camps-my apology! And I can't see in my entire posts where I tried to misinform the public about TB. I just do not agree with some of your observations.

How can u apply such a reasoning process to a/my post without engaging the aid of a pre-existing knowledgebase? The bone of contention is not exactly affordability but rather/also the moral premise. He cannot educate his constituency but deemed it fit to send his son to England for exclusive PRIMARY school education..

Despite his fluent english, TB was a thief who suddenly was able to send his 10 yr old son to England for completion of
his primary school education. In the meanwhile, in his region the poor were denied free basic education.
I thought the above statement was credited to you?

So why then was he given the post? A typical manifestation of Mediocrity, I presume. Which unfortunately has been the focal point of our conundrum, since independence.
A lot of people will disagree with you.

Awo performed wonders in the western region then. So too, did Zik in his region. At the centre, either one of the two would have done far better than this pro-western, lucidly-spoken grade II teacher who thinks as evident from his 1959 speech , that the brits are the best thing since sliced-bread.
More often than not, university education does not equate to one being a good leader. JEG is a P.hD holder, I don't think he has a clue of what our problems are?
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by T9ksy(m): 6:37pm On Oct 07, 2010
Posted by: Dapo4u

More often than not, university education does not equate to one being a good leader. JEG is a P.hD holder, I don't think he has a clue of what our problems are?

Yeah right! The late UMYA had a Masters degree yet he was clueless as to how to go about solving our problems.
Nevertheless, no reasonable person would put Awo, Zik and their ilk in the same basket as TB.
TB, apart from his deficit of educational accomplishments in comparison with his southern opponents was also a stooge
of the feudalist, Sardunna. He too was clueless and not fit for that post, which probably explains why the Brits rigged him into office.
No wonder the whole country started falling apart within a short space of time.

TB was a visionary leader and a symbol of unity especially in the North,

Yeah, visionary, indeed!!! Only those with ur mindset would consider TB, far-sighted. How does he exemplified his visionary potentials to u? A leader who cannot even see the benefit in educating his younger generation is ur idea of visionary, huh. What were the policies TB put in place that made u accord him, that label? Oh I forgot, U know nxt-to-nothing about TB, grin

This is a futile exercise!!! come back when you have read more about the events between 1950-1965 in nigerian politics.
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by Dede1(m): 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2010
@T9ksy

You are spot on for once. I could not be more proud of you when addressing issue objectively as you did in the above posts. I guess you could now understand why the January 15, 1966 coup group struck to overthrow a government infested with nepotism, mediocrity, tribalism and parochialism.
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by T9ksy(m): 7:24pm On Oct 07, 2010
@ Dede1,

I never harbour any objection to why the jan 15 coupists, struck.
It was the lopsided and gratuitous killings that I objected to.
Plus the fact that they replaced an incompetent bufoon with another one.
Except in the latter case, they managed to create a unitary govt. which unfortunately exacerbate our quagmire.
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by poweredcom(m): 11:02pm On Oct 07, 2010
Yes oo that it, very funny in this our yeye country, the country is a very stupid and the leader dont need a chance to live, from the guy that spoiled Naija, IBB,
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by mamagee3(f): 1:54am On Oct 08, 2010
poweredcom:

Yes oo that it, very funny in this our yeye country, the country is a very silly and the leader dont need a chance to live, from the guy that spoiled Naija, IBB,
You've got to chill out, you don't even know any of those people you just mentioned.
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by amakaudeze: 8:07am On Oct 08, 2010
see https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527450.0.html to join the 1 million posts against IBB. Paste on every blog page or site you know worldwide
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by amakaudeze: 8:18am On Oct 08, 2010
see https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527450.0.html to join the 1 million posts against IBB. Paste on every blog page or site you know worldwide
Re: Picture Nigeria - Then, In 1963 - Now, In 2010 by davidif: 5:13pm On Oct 08, 2010
justcool:

@davidif

If you can show me what makes Aguiyi Ironsi evil, I will appreciate it. Please give me historical facts and not just assumptions and opinions.

Based on my investigations, I am of the opinion that Aguiyi Ironsi may have been one of (if not the only) worthy Nigerian leaders. Belwa may not have been bad too, but I rather not reveal my reservations about him. I am not very sure of the authenticity of my reservations about him, especially his leadership abilities; so in-order not to be unjust to the poor man, all I will say about him was that he was not a bad fellow; from my findings, Belwa was modest, also he spoke good English.

About Aguiyi Ironsi, I haven't found anything wrong that he did. Actually he sacrificed his life to avoid bloodsheed; if he were like other African Generals (Idi amin for example), Danjuma would definitely not have been able to kill him. Aguiyi Ironsi was killed due to his lack of brutality.

However, I understand your sentiments about the likes of Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna. A lot of Igbo's like to celebrate Nzeogwu; although I am proudly Igbo, I will never celebrate Nzeogwu as a hero.

That first coup, as well as all the subsequent Nigerian coups, was very unnecessary. The first coup occupies a very agonising position because it introduced the idea of coups in a country that was still very infantile. Also, contrary to what the tibalists say, that coup was not an Igbo coup.

But I digressed a little. I await your response on the issue of Ironsi. I trust your response to be devoid of assumptions and tribalistic sentiments.

Thanks

The reason why i do not like Ironsi is because he was the first Millitary dictator we had. First of all, you have to understand that millitary leadership really took Nigeria to the bottom. I am not saying the civillians were perfect or anything especially with the incredibly corrupt S.L Akintola of the western region and Festus Okotie Eboh but none of the millitary boys can even step to what Awo or Tafawa Balewa did. I know Aguiyi-Ironsi was not in charge of the coup like Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna but the fact that history now refers to him as the first millitary leader of the federal republic damns his name to infamy.
Maybe if he had lived longer than 6 months, he would have had the opportunity to hand over power to the civillians just like he had promised he would if they could come up with a new constitution but who knows, he might have pulled a Gowon on us. Either way, we would never know but for the fact that he did not immediately hand back the presidency to the civillians and he instead chose to stay on in power as the millitary head of state is my reason for saying that he ruined our country because it simply opened a can of worms as you had all this millitary boys who started competing for power left, right and centre instead of focusing on the most important thing; defending the republic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram - 14 Arrested, 7 Dead In Raid Aided By The Public In Kano / Electoral Act: How Buhari’s Rejection Divides Lawmakers / Farah Dagogo’s Hope Of Participating In Rivers PDP Primaries Dims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.