Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,600 members, 7,865,452 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 06:23 PM

Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports (7943 Views)

Peter Obi Decries Fake Media Reports Targeted To Discredit Him (Photos) / Insecurity: Osinbajo, Christian Lawmakers Hold Prayer Session Thursday / Sowore, Dasuki: Garba Shehu Angry Over Media Reports, May Appeal Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by ajebuter(f): 1:44pm On Jun 24, 2019
I wonder why this government is soooooooo scared of social media..

Forgetting that social media was what majorly brought them to power

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by danhans(m): 1:44pm On Jun 24, 2019
Be wary?Wonderful V.p
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by danhans(m): 1:47pm On Jun 24, 2019
ajebuter:
I wonder why this government is soooooooo scared of social media..

Forgetting that social media was what majorly brought them to power

They know what they did by the help of social media that is why they are afraid

. The evil that men do is now living with them

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by jrusky(m): 1:49pm On Jun 24, 2019
This man called Osibande sometime talks like he has no small sense at all.

So it's social media you are busy talking about as per the embarrassing security situation in Nigeria bah?

Oga you no get shame look what Nigeria has become under you and your boss? Oga you have no shame.

Weary of social.media my foot shameless leader a f u c ktard bloody foringner(herdsmen) invaded your country killing your citizen like fowl and you are there talking social media pls oga just park somewhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by Centcanada: 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
The problem we all have is that we fail to acknowledged the truth or rather say the truth as it is. What concern social media with what is going on in the country? Doe s it mean we should be mute about the murder going on by bandit and the rest? I hate APC with their excuses. They have failed Nigerian and the entire world.

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by kernel01: 1:56pm On Jun 24, 2019
laurentium:
social media in Nigeria is a tool for interracial activities of the underlying circumference of a conference in which youths of various age tend to increase the velocity of a soak away by means of increase and subtraction without necessarily coming together as ants and buffalo in the open field of love

You need to improve your use of English. What exactly have you said?
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by laurentium(m): 1:58pm On Jun 24, 2019
kernel01:

You need to improve your use of English. What exactly have you said?
autocorrect .weldon sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by sammymama: 2:04pm On Jun 24, 2019
Alrit
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by seguntijan(m): 2:09pm On Jun 24, 2019
It was close to midnight a few weeks ago and we just landed Lagos. I was scheduled to be in Ilesha for a workshop on security the next morning. My driver had been in wait at the airport since midday. Prior to that day, news had filtered of all sorts of horrors on the road from Ibadan to Ife. Nonetheless I needed to get to Oshogbo that night so i could deliver a keynote address the next morning on the very issue of security. No other option, I set out for Oshogbo at midnight.
We drove to Ibadan without incident other than enduring my driver’s penchant for aiming at potholes and the few checkpoints we encountered. As we went past the Iwo road roundabout, tension built. Wide awake with primal fear, we raced along. One check point, then another, then another, even a customs checkpoint. By the time we arrived Gbongan, the night seemed so eerily tranquil.
The third leg of the journey from Gbongan to Oshogbo was to be the shortest albeit the most bumpy. We arrived Oshogbo just before 4am. I slept for two hours then attended the workshop at Zenabab Event Centre Ilesha to deliver my address. Not long after the event, I surprising read on social media that someone had been kidnapped whilyothers had been killed during the same hours I had travelled through the Ibadan - Gbongan road. I was saddened and confused all at once. Surely, if what I experienced on the road was abnormal and the kidnappings and killings were indeed the norm I should know people who could verify these incidents. So I placed a call to the police in the areas where the incidents purportedly took place expecting a harvest of grim confirmatory news.
I also had people source information about the individuals concerned and their relatives- if they existed at all. As new stories unravelled I investigated each one, some true, most others fabricated or exaggerated.
Yesterday, I again drove from Lagos to Oshogbo, arriving Oshogbo at night. Again, I encountered multiple checkpoints along the Gbongan road. Yet another incident had been reported at Ikire and pictures posted where hordes of kidnappers were arrested. Again, the reports grossly distorted and exaggerated what either never happened or didn't happen the way it was reported.
Just few days ago, a simple dispute between two artisanal gold miners (one an indigene and another a resident) where no one was hurt or killed was described in breaking news as “a conflagration of mayhem and destruction with scores killed and houses set ablaze in Ifewara, the hometown of Pastor Adeboye, the General Overseer of Redeemed Church”. I spoke to the AIG of police who told me the situation is under control. Then to Kabiyesi , The Adimula of Ifewara. The traiditonal ruler wryly told me “not even a chicken was killed in the dispute”. He commended the police for responding promptly and for quickly defusing the situation which could have been worse.
Such social media exaggeration is not only wrong but dangerous in that it stokes up tensions between communities that have mingled for years with the potential to tear families apart and ruin harmonious relationships.
Yes, there are cases of kidnap across the country and in Osun. But some miscreants appear to be trivialising the seriousness of the security situation by fabricating stories of kidnapping and exaggerating others.
There is the recent case of a pastor allegedly setting up his own kidnap in an attempt to collect a N3m ransom in Ado Ekiti. Evidence suggests that the pastor has a case to answer. Such a diabolical scheme should be unthinkable! It prompts the kind of offensive comments, sometimes made in jest like the pastor was Fulani, such jokes that feed the exaggerated narratives about Fulanis or herdsmen from our own country, our fellow Nigerians, and some even fellow Omoluabi's, as being responsible for all violent crimes in Nigeria.
Rather than scapegoating, we need to properly provide support to victims of kidnapping and their families. We can start by not making up stories that makes them relive the horror of their ordeals when those stories are not true. It is a cruel and wicked thing to do them. Worse still, peddling fearful falsehoods or exaggerations can only embolden the criminals who engage in this conduct and makes the job of law enforcement more difficult.
By forcing law enforcement to chase lies, we waste their most precious resource- time. And that makes all of us less safe. Lying about security can literally cost lives and livelihoods.
Think before forwarding the next social media post about some horrific kidnapping or murder or unrest in Osun. Think before exaggerating news about an incident. Think before sharing unrelated posts or pictures that are wickedly tagged Osun( Ikire/Gbongan or ilesha road).
Think about the past victims of kidnappings and relatives of murdered kidnap victims before posting fake news about kidnappings. Thinking before acting is one of the most worthy qualities of an Omoluabi.
As security is the problem of every one of us, we all have a role to play. If you see something say something!
But for God’s sake don’t say something you don’t see or don’t know directly without verifying if it is true.
If we Omoluabis get off this road of peddling rumours about our state as a bundle of intractable problems, and rather, start thinking of our people and land as a series of endless opportunities, imagine what we could do? Think of what we could achieve?
Most recently, Gov Oyetola embarked upon security solution. He has repeatedly engaged the security agencies and their response has been commendable. He has conducted two major statewide security summits- he met with the South West Governors towards setting up a regional joint patrol and rapid response squads and recently visited the Army Chief in Abuja to concretise the robust security plans.
Again security is of concern to us all. I therefore urge every Omoluwabi to speak up to what is true and right or keep the peace by not retelling lies .Think before you for
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 24, 2019
Chukwurah003:
[s]Yes! PDP propaganda is everywhere. PDP have no love for Nigeria or Nigerians. They just want to impoverish Nigerians and act like saviours while doing the deed[/s].
grin grin

Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by SOFTENGR: 4:02pm On Jun 24, 2019
Without the social media, most news would have been hidden from the public. We would have believed that bh has been defeated according to the chief liar.

Broda Yemi, leave our social media for us biko.
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by sintirin(m): 5:53pm On Jun 24, 2019
I used to respect this man not until he became vice president...How I wish they kidnap his daughter of which I doubt if it's possible... Ibadan- ife road is turning into Abuja-kaduna road by day and there's nothing being done...human life is nothing to these people again and yet...my cousin was kidnapped just last week on that same road and I know what he went through...we didn't post any of this on social media, if only people can be putting all the criminal activities going on social media chaiii and yet the man said rubbish...what kind of leaders do we have in this country

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by TruthinAction: 7:41pm On Jun 24, 2019
Dorischuks:
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has urged Nigerians in the Diaspora not to rely entirely on social media reports on the security challenges facing the country.

Speaking at a townhall meeting in New York on Sunday evening, Osinbajo said the social media “tends to be hysterical about practically everything”.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the vice president spoke in response to several questions and comments on the security situation back home.

Many members of the audience had taken turns to express concern about the reported spate of killings and kidnapping back home, and wanted to know what the government is doing to address the situation.

He said, “With respect to general kidnapping which we have seen in parts of the country, again, this is not entirely new.

“In fact, some of the kidnapping stories you read or listen to are simply not true anywhere, some are fuelled by politics.

“There are cases of kidnapping, no question at all about that, but some of the more dramatic stories that you hear are simply not true.

“Every report of kidnapping we receive, we try to verify, and at the end of the day you find out that people just tell all sorts of stories,” he said.

The vice president said the Federal Government was working with the states to check kidnapping where it was actually taking place, using technology to track the perpetrators.

He said the efforts were already yielding results with several arrests made by security agencies in affected areas.

Osinbajo said the government was capable of addressing the security challenges, assuring Nigerians that the news “will be a lot better very soon”.

Turning to banditry and farmers/herders clashes in the north west and central, the vice president described them as “resource conflicts”.

According to him, banditry especially in Zamfara and Katsina was more of a fight over the control of mining sites by armed groups.

He said the government was taking several measures, including shutting down the mines, to address the problem.

“In the north central, we have the livestock transformation plan to address the farmers/herders conflict.

“Ultimately, it is ranching that will solve the problem because you cannot have people wandering across the the country with their cattle.

“It is not helpful to them, this they know, because ranching is more convenient and profitable.

“So, we are building herd dams in the northern states so that people don’t necessarily come down south in search for water and green pastures for their herds.

“We are also trying to ensure we provide grazing areas before we come to cattle routes,” he added.

Osinbajo said in fairness to herders, the livestock sector had not enjoyed the kind of government’s funding and support accorded farmers over the years.

He stated that there was also need for government’s intervention in livestock, and solicited private sector support and investment in that area.(NAN)

See more here https://thickmatch.com/insecurity-osinbajo-urges-nigerians-wary-social-media-reports/

Please tell us what your government is doing or intend to do to stop the killings. I hope you are on Nairaland? This is the best place to hear the voices of Nigeria and what they think about your government. Your government has failed woefully. I hope you pray in tongues as a Pastor for this nation. Also tell Bubu to tell his brothers to stop the killings.
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by SarkinYarki: 7:48pm On Jun 24, 2019
Over 25 thousand killed in 3 years yet Osinbanjo thinks Social media is over reacting ? What a wicked man
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by fof1: 12:42am On Jun 25, 2019
Chukwurah003:
Yes! PDP propaganda is everywhere. PDP have no love for Nigeria or Nigerians. They just want to impoverish Nigerians and act like saviours while doing the deed.

D DECEIT OF LUCIFER. ALL LIARS SHALL HV THEIR PART IN D LAKE OF FIRE O...
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by Ajibade123(m): 8:28am On Jun 25, 2019
nice one from our vice president we need to be wary of social media report...see 8 impact of social media on our society
https://explicitsuccess.com/impact-of-social-media-on-society/
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by booksrite(f): 6:43pm On Jun 28, 2019
autocorrect .weldon sir

cheesy
Re: Insecurity: Osinbajo Urges Nigerians To Be Wary Of Social Media Reports by booksrite(f): 8:27am On Jun 29, 2019
jrusky:
This man called Osibande sometime talks like he has no small sense at all.So it's social media you are busy talking about as per the embarrassing security situation in Nigeria bah? Oga you no get shame look what Nigeria has become under you and your boss? Oga you have no shame.Weary of social.media my foot shameless leader a f u c ktard bloody foringner(herdsmen) invaded your country killing your citizen like fowl and you are there talking social media pls oga just park somewhere.

sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ohanaeze: Overwhelming Majority Of Igbo Don’t Believe In Sucession / Chief Justice Of Nigeria, Dahiru Musdapher, Asks Jonathan To Reinstate Salami / Should FG Grant Boko-Haram Amnesty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.