Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? (27698 Views)

Should I Take Custody After Divorce As A Man / U.S Mum Living In Saudi Loses Custody Of Her Daughter Because She's Too Western / Woman Cries Out After Her Rapist Fights To Take Custody Of Her Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by otobasin2323(m): 9:39pm On Jul 12, 2019
Good day nairalanders, ( pls ignore my errors, I am not good in typing ) I had a baby with one lady from rivers state(ex girlfriend) and I am from imo state, the baby turns out to be a boy he is 2 years old now. The lady lived with me during her pregnancy and also Gave birth under my roof.. 9months after giving birth, we started having issue. Based on am not well to do.. Cause my hustle ain't paying off. She left the house with my son. Later on she and her family found a man who has been married for so long but no child.. But the man is very wealthy and well to do in the society, the man is also from their town in rivers state ,she agreed to be the second wife so he can claim the child.

on hearing this I rejected it and met with her family so they can release my son to me and she can go ahead and marry whom ever she likes.. To my greatest suprise they all decline to my request but gave her full support that she should go ahead quoting me that in their tradition "any man that marries a lady that is with a child the child automatically answers the man's name"

With this statement it got me sad, angry cause I love my son with all my heart I don't want another man to father him.. Every month I Normally send her 15k for keep up my son... She ain't satisfied.. That am too poor for her liking... How do I take her to court the only documents I have here.. Is my sons birth certificate, his pictures with me. And all the receipt of the money I normally sent to her monthly... Pls I seriously need advice or suggestions. Thank you

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by 2dice01: 9:45pm On Jul 12, 2019
Bike man stop me here

Well i think you should involve a competent lawyer
But you are not Boxed up right now
angry

Op let's wait for the elders

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by spongeisback: 9:51pm On Jul 12, 2019
Traditionally the boy doesn't belong to you according to the family. Even if you go to court they would never ever ever grant you custody of that child except you can prove he's not being well taken care of by his mother.

My advice, open an account in his name, instead of giving cash to his mother pay the money into that account and send it to her through the account, document everything you spend on him and make sure you contribute to his upbringing as much as you can. Be there for every milestone in his life because if you take the "one day he will look for me approach" it may come back to hunt you.

Sorry.

otobasin2323:
To my greatest suprise they all decline to my request but gave her full support that she should go ahead quoting me that in their tradition "any man that marries a lady that is with a child the child automatically answers the man's name"

For the IDIOTS quoting me to insult themselves.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by otobasin2323(m): 9:56pm On Jul 12, 2019
spongeisback:
Traditionally the boy doesn't belong to you. Even if you go to court they would never ever ever grant you custody of that child. Sorry.
sad undecided
Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Florblu(f): 9:57pm On Jul 12, 2019
Whether you're dead or alive, the child is yours so don't sweat it.

Keep sending the 15k or any amount you can afford and be consistent with it. You will get your child someday, and by then you will be proud of yourself and your decision.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by SageMK: 9:59pm On Jul 12, 2019
This is sad.

Bro, you can't win this legal battle. And that's because a mother has right to the custody of a child born outside wedlock to the exclusion of the father.

Unless maybe you can prove she's unfit as a mother. sad

32 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Kehl(m): 9:59pm On Jul 12, 2019
spongeisback:
Traditionally the boy doesn't belong to you. Even if you go to court they would never ever ever grant you custody of that child. Sorry.

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by spongeisback: 10:00pm On Jul 12, 2019
Did you read his post or you just rushed to quote me?
Kehl:

SO NOT TRUE!!! Don't mislead the young man

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by otobasin2323(m): 10:06pm On Jul 12, 2019
spongeisback:
Traditionally the boy doesn't belong to you. Even if you go to court they would never ever ever grant you custody of that child except you can prove he's not being well taken care of by his mother.

My advice, open an account in his name, instead of giving cash to his mother pay the money into that account and send it to her through the account, document everything you spend on him and make sure you contribute to his upbringing as much as you can. Be there for every milestone in his life because if you take the "one day he will look for me approach" it may come back to hunt you.

Sorry.

Thank you so much..I want to be part of his life that's why I struggle to make sure I send him money every month... Will definitely open the account in his name.. Thanks for the suggestion I appreciate

23 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by spongeisback: 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2019
You're welcome. He's a very cute boy. Don't worry things will get better.
otobasin2323:

Thank you so much..I want to be part of his life that's why I struggle to make sure I send him money every month... Will definitely open the account in his name.. Thanks for the suggestion I appreciate

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by otobasin2323(m): 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2019
Florblu:
Whether you're dead or alive, the child is yours so don't sweat it.

Keep sending the 15k or any amount you can afford and be consistent with it. You will get your child someday, and by then you will be proud of yourself and your decision.
thanks dear.. But my fear is if she marries the man.. They might change location So I can't connect to my son

1 Like

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Kehl(m): 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2019
otobasin2323:

Good day nairalanders, ( pls ignore my errors, I am not good in typing ) I had a baby with one lady from rivers state(ex girlfriend) and I am from imo state, the baby turns out to be a boy he is 2 years old now. The lady lived with me during her pregnancy and also Gave birth under my roof.. 9months after giving birth, we started having issue. Based on am not well to do.. Cause my hustle ain't paying off. She left the house with my son. Later on she and her family found a man who has been married for so long but no child.. But the man is very wealthy and well to do in the society, the man is also from their town in rivers state ,she agreed to be the second wife so he can claim the child.

on hearing this I rejected it and met with her family so they can release my son to me and she can go ahead and marry whom ever she likes.. To my greatest suprise they all decline to my request but gave her full support that she should go ahead quoting me that in their tradition "any man that marries a lady that is with a child the child automatically answers the man's name"

With this statement it got me sad, angry cause I love my son with all my heart I don't want another man to father him.. Every month I Normally send her 15k for keep up my son... She ain't satisfied.. That am too poor for her liking... How do I take her to court the only documents I have here.. Is my sons birth certificate, his pictures with me. And all the receipt of the money I normally sent to her monthly... Pls I seriously need advice or suggestions. Thank you

Your best bet is to get a lawyer since the family is refusing a reasonable stand on the issue. Truth is the court would rule in favor of the child (that is what is in the boy's best interest at this time) and been that he's still very young, the likelihood that custody is granted to his mother is very high.

However equity and natural justice would be in your favor. Am certain that even if custody is granted to ur ex, you will still remain he's rightful father (naturally and by pronouncement of the court) and you will be allowed to visit him.

You should first exhaust every means of settling this issue amicably. And if your ex and her family insist on been unreasonable then YOU SHOULD GET A LAWYER!!

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Kehl(m): 10:17pm On Jul 12, 2019
spongeisback:
Did you read his post or you just rushed to quote me?

Our courts are not yet as corrupt and callous as to deny an innocent father rights over his son. There are laws that supersedes customary laws.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by MANGAM(m): 10:18pm On Jul 12, 2019
otobasin2323:

U can't claim a child from a woman that traditionally, legally religiously u didn't pay a dine on the mother. U want a child from her and never bothered to do something on her head.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by otobasin2323(m): 10:19pm On Jul 12, 2019
Kehl:

Your best bet is to get a lawyer since the family is refusing a reasonable stand on the issue. Truth is the court would rule in favor of the child (that is what is in the boy's best interest at this time) and been that he's still very young, the likelihood that custody is granted to his mother is very high.

However equity and natural justice would be in your favor. Am certain that even if custody is granted to ur ex, you will still remain he's rightful father (naturally and by pronouncement of the court) and you will be allowed to visit him.

You should first exhaust every means of settling this issue amicably. And if your ex and her family insist on been unreasonable then YOU SHOULD GET A LAWYER!!

Thank you so much.. Am trying my best to resolve it calmly..

8 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by otobasin2323(m): 10:23pm On Jul 12, 2019
MANGAM:

U can't claim a child from a woman that traditionally, legally religiously u didn't pay a dine on the mother. U want a child from her and never bothered to do something on her head.
She don't even want me to pay a dime on her head . she sees me as a broke ass failure... Talk about me settling down with her she declined.. She has fallen in love with the wealthy man accepting to be second wife.. I just need my Son

25 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by spongeisback: 10:33pm On Jul 12, 2019
You didn't even read the OP before quoting me. He isn't after his rights as a father, he wants the boy to be given to him. No competent court/judge will grant his request as long as the boy is being well taken care of by his mother.
Kehl:

Our courts are not yet as corrupt and callous as to deny an innocent father rights over his son. There are laws that supersedes customary laws.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Iogobenz(m): 10:42pm On Jul 12, 2019
cheesy
Bros make your small money no go finish for court oh!
If I were you na to reason with that rich man make em pay me my cut and you can come back after many years to claim your child when he is older.
Otherwise,I'll say;
Nwanne jee chuba ego.. grin grin
Because you will be needing a lot of it to claim that child with all the strings the rich guy can pull.
Person no dey lose 2 things!
Court no be for person weh never bath well o

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Niyiboi: 10:44pm On Jul 12, 2019
Hustle ooo, make dem no go give your pikin to another man!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 12, 2019
Kehl:

This is not a problem that would be solved by getting unnecessarily angry.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Yussuf06: 10:46pm On Jul 12, 2019
Please how do i reply a response on nairaland
Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by linearity: 10:46pm On Jul 12, 2019
Hh
Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by sureteeboy(m): 10:47pm On Jul 12, 2019
So much meaningful comments on this thread so far. Perhaps, Nairaland is starting to change for good

19 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Kehl(m): 10:47pm On Jul 12, 2019
spongeisback:
You didn't even read the OP before quoting me. He isn't after his rights as a father, he wants the boy to be given to him. No competent court/judge will grant his request as long as the boy is being well taken care of by his mother.

Am sorry � my bad.. You're right. He can't have custody at this point except he proves gross inability on the part of the mother in taking care of the child . He could only prove paternity and be allowed visits.

However the peculiarities of this case makes it quite different. He's been there for the boy and the mother and the fact that they are trying to use traditional laws to push him aside is unjust. And trust me these will play a role in the court's decision

Las Las he may be denied custody, but he won't be denied paternity rights

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by biacan(f): 10:47pm On Jul 12, 2019
You should have work more had she wouldn't have left you........ Men and brokness nawaooo

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Debaiz: 10:47pm On Jul 12, 2019
otobasin2323:

Take that account opening advise very seriously cos it will help you in the future to show your son that you cared for him to the point of opening account for him at a very young age just to send money to him.

Also you need a lawyer to fight your case. The girls family may be right with the custody of the child but they have no right to have you child have another mans surname. Legally, your son should have your surname as long as you claim him.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 12, 2019
undecided
Re: How Do I Take Custody Of My Beloved Son? by AntiWailer: 10:47pm On Jul 12, 2019
Hmmm

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Husband Has Refused To Pay Back A N5m Loan I Got For Him – Wife / 10 Pains Of The Nigerian Bachelor / Kaduna Pensioner Burns Down His House To Prevent Estranged Wife From Returning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.