Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,903 members, 7,828,184 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr (27358 Views)

AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr / Why Super Eagles Lost To England - Rohr / Algeria Vs Nigeria: FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by robosky02(m): 7:37am On Jul 16, 2019
AFCON: Why Nigeria lost to Algeria – Rohr

uper Eagles Coach Gernot Rohr has admitted that his team lost to a better side in the semifinals of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Egypt on Sunday.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a Riyad Mahrez’s goal from a free-kick at the edge of the box, with seconds left to play, condemned Nigeria to a 2-1 defeat and steered Algeria to their first AFCON Final match in 29 years.

Rohr told journalists during a post-match interview that it was a game of two halves, adding however that Algeria were the better side at the end of the day.
“Until the last minute, Algeria had a better first half than us, but we came back a much better team in the second half.

“Unfortunately, we conceded a goal in the last minute. I think the players wanted to go to extra-time believing that perhaps Algeria will get tired and we could win the match in extra time.

“It was a wonderful game. We lost it, so we are not happy. Congrats to the winners. They were the better team in the first half.

“We scored an own goal. We were unlucky but we came back like we have always done all the time in this tournament.

“When we found ourselves in a difficult situation, we always reacted and we did that also today coming back through a penalty and playing a better second half.

“But a wonderful free-kick from a football genius made the difference.
“In our last game, we won in the last minute against South Africa and today we lost. That’s football,” he said.

Coach Djamel Belmadi of Algeria on his part said his side had a tough game against a tough opponent, adding that it had to take the quality of Mahrez to decide the result of the match.

“We knew that it would be a tough game because of the quality of our opponents and the tough game we had against Cote d’Ivoire on Thursday.
“My boys had an amazing first half. So, we deserved at that time to score a goal and I think we could have scored even more goals.

“Then in the second half, we had a difficult moment for about 15 minutes, we were under pressure.
“I think we played too deep and didn’t apply enough pressure on our opponents due to fatigue on my players and the quality of course of our opponents.
“Then came the penalty which I think my players showed great character and mental strength to come back and fought until the end to score the decisive goal.

“We however had some situations in the second half, maybe not clear cut chances where I think we could have scored another goal with a little more accuracy.
“Then the free-kick arrived and of course with the quality of players like Riyad Mahrez, it’s a massive chance at goal and thank God we made it count,” he said.

Nigeria will now take on 2004 champions Tunisia in the third place match at the Al Salam Stadium on Wednesday, while Algeria take on Senegal in Friday’s final at the Cairo International Stadium. (NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/football/340904-afcon-why-nigeria-lost-to-algeria-rohr.html

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by tayebest(m): 7:44am On Jul 16, 2019
The mentality of going to extra time or playing penalty raped us. Right from the first half, the super Eagles play with fear and with no winning passion. They've thought delaying the ball to penalty will help but which keeper have we got? that basket? undecided

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by robosky02(m): 7:59am On Jul 16, 2019
Why Nigeria Lost

My observation

You can add yours

1 Gernot Rohr lacks technical dept to coach super eagle

2 in three year Nigerias football does not have a clear cut playing pattern

3 two years ago Algeria was ranged africa no1 Nigeria finish them 3-1 in uyo thanks to victor moses and co. They could not stand us. two years on we couldn't stand them even cameroon it took personal brilliance and determine for us to win. Simply put our team has retrogress no improvement

4. Three years on we are still crying for the lose of Enyeama. The coach has not been able to give us a keeper. With all due respect akpeyi enzenwa and uzoho are not our best
How do you take a keeper to world cup and now he is 3rd choice. Akpeyi is so shaky he doesn't inspire confidence. How did he became no1 when he is 2nd keeper in his club in fact last season he only played just 6 game for his club.
What happen to fine keepers like afolokai here in nigeria

5 Gernot Rohr is killing Nigerias football do you mean no single home base player is good enough. Clement westerhof and keshi won afcon with local players. In 2013 sunday mba an unknown local player score the winner. Under Rohhr he may never even make the reserve list

6 algeria and senegal are in the finals with local coach. they and senegal used local coaches to beat foreingn nigeria and tunisia coaches. Its no longer oyibo coach era. Its about competence.
Look at the resumee of siasia and amunike compare to rohr what has he achieve before coming to nigeria

7. You can expect to win champoions league or EPL with a mid table mentality coach like David Moyes. So nigeria can't win world cup with Gernot Rohr. Nigeria is too BIG for him. Imagine him celebrating semi finals.calling our team inexperience. A team we beat Algeria juat 2 years ago. Are we improving or retrogressing.

Infact Rohr lack tacticks do youi know algeria scouted us with 7 coaches and nutrilize all our key player. Chukweze had 2 men standby on him. Didn't you wonder with his man of the match performance in the prevous game, he could not make a single cross. Ighalo was cut out from any form of ball supply. He only manage to score penalt)

And yet Rohr could couild only look like PE master. Knowing nothing to change

Abeg excus us the reasons why algeria won

Egypt didn't wait for grammer they did the needfull we should follow suit

Look inwards our league and also our best coaches

Lalasticlala mynd44

114 Likes 9 Shares

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by emeijeh(m): 8:01am On Jul 16, 2019
Nonsense.

See what this one is saying below.

Go to the stadium, Mahrez is there waiting for you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by robosky02(m): 10:40am On Jul 16, 2019
emeijeh:
Nonsense.

See what this one is saying below.

Go to the stadium, Mahrez is there waiting for you.

Where was he the first time

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by Reffone: 11:02am On Jul 16, 2019
Witches excuses
Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by lathrowinger: 11:02am On Jul 16, 2019
My Prediction. Senegal will win the cup, Algerian Second while Tunisia third. Naija Ruga

2 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by rainmoredays: 11:03am On Jul 16, 2019
You nor sabi jor
Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by straighttalk(m): 11:04am On Jul 16, 2019
Story
Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by samista: 11:04am On Jul 16, 2019
They were better than us, simple

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by Neddstark: 11:05am On Jul 16, 2019
You lost because of Mahrez. If not for his spectacular freekick, we maybe could have won Algeria in penalties.
But Algeria played way better than us in that match.

9 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by abefeb1(m): 11:05am On Jul 16, 2019
We lost becos you made a wrong substitution. henry oyekuru was not supposed to be in the match at all.

2 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by Henrichemeka(m): 11:06am On Jul 16, 2019
Nigeria lost to Algeria because you don't have any tactics, no technicality and no strategy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by KidsNEXTdoor: 11:06am On Jul 16, 2019
tayebest:
The mentality of going to extra time or playing penalty raped us. Right from the first half, the super Eagles play with fear and with no winning passion. They've thought delaying the ball to penalty will help but which keeper have we got? that basket? undecided

The Algerians were more hungry

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by Nbote(m): 11:07am On Jul 16, 2019
Oga U were clueless and have always lacked technical know how...

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by chiboy1116: 11:08am On Jul 16, 2019
We lost cos we played like shit oga
Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by abayomilaws(m): 11:08am On Jul 16, 2019
Shut up Mr rohl that cannot roar technically on the field...

3 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by ablelin: 11:08am On Jul 16, 2019
Algerians played better, they looked like they wanted to win, couldn't see the hunger in our own players, probably we were expecting luck as usual. I would have preferred local coach and local players. Local players play with hunger, wanting to prove and show themselves to the world so club can come for them. But these one are satisfied already, so no hunger. Also, I see better players everyday on Nigerian streets, I mean boys way Sabi, if properly trained and given opportunities, will bring trophies and fame home, but we have seen it all, Nigeria doesn't work that way....

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by forayfleo(m): 11:09am On Jul 16, 2019
Its because of trust that makes us employed you but if u ask me the advice to my country is sack and sack

3 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by SmartyPants(m): 11:09am On Jul 16, 2019
tayebest:

Extra time not penalties. The Algerians played 120 minutes just a few days before and the Super Eagles had had one extra day of rest. At that moment in the game it was the right tactical move.

2 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by Henrichemeka(m): 11:09am On Jul 16, 2019
Your keeper wished the free kick to be retaken, my question; what was he doing when that free kick was taken?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 16, 2019
The team with more cohesion, determination, aggression, passion and business minded player's and not Instagram dancer's won the game.

To the demented fella's out there, a team's jessy does not play the game rather, it is humans that plays the game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by helinues: 11:12am On Jul 16, 2019
If I catch Akpeyi heh....

2 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by iammo(m): 11:12am On Jul 16, 2019

Oga leave story, buhari no dey sack anybody, you would surely be rewarded for the technical defeat

Rohr is a very poor tactissian but overall sporting directorship of super eagles under him is average

If we dont quickly sack him Nigeria would become another Arsenal

4 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr by Smooyis(m): 11:14am On Jul 16, 2019
robosky02:
Why Nigeria Lost

My observation

You can add yours

1 Gernot Rohr lacks technical dept to coach super eagle

2 in three year Nigerias football does not have a clear cut playing pattern

3 two years ago Algeria was ranged africa no1 Nigeria finish them 3-1 in uyo thanks to victor moses and co. They could not stand us. two years on we couldn't stand them even cameroon it took personal brilliance and determine for us to win. Simply put our team has retrogress no improvement

4. Three years on we are still crying for the lose of Enyeama. The coach has not been able to give us a keeper. With all due respect akpeyi enzenwa and uzoho are not our best
How do you take a keeper to world cup and now he is 3rd choice. Akpeyi is so shaky he doesn't inspire confidence. How did he became no1 when he is 2nd keeper in his club in fact last season he only played just 6 game for his club.
What happen to fine keepers like afolokai here in nigeria

5 Gernot Rohr is killing Nigerias football do you mean no single home base player is good enough. Clement westerhof and keshi won afcon with local players. In 2013 sunday mba an unknown local player score the winner. Under Rohhr he may never even make the reserve list

6 algeria and senegal are in the finals with local coach. they and senegal used local coaches to beat foreingn nigeria and tunisia coaches. Its no longer oyibo coach era. Its about competence.
Look at the resumee of siasia and amunike compare to rohr what has he achieve before coming to nigeria

7. You can expect to win champoions league or EPL with a mid table mentality coach like David Moyes. So nigeria can't win world cup with Gernot Rohr. Nigeria is too BIG for him. Imagine him celebrating semi finals.calling our team inexperience. A team we beat Algeria juat 2 years ago. Are we improving or retrogressing.

Infact Rohr lack tacticks do youi know algeria scouted us with 7 coaches and nutrilize all our key player. Chukweze had 2 men standby on him. Didn't you wonder with his man of the match performance in the prevous game, he could not make a single cross. Ighalo was cut out from any form of ball supply. He only manage to score penalt)

And yet Rohr could couild only look like PE master. Knowing nothing to change

Abeg excus us the reasons why algeria won

Egypt didn't wait for grammer they did the needfull we should follow suit

Look inwards our league and also our best coaches

Lalasticlala mynd44

Thanks Bros. We think alike. I hope the NFF will do the needful and save us from constant embarrassment and fear of watching super Eagles play.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Analysis On Europa League Semifinal Draw / Iheanacho's Manchester City Move Collapses, FC Porto His Likely Destination? / Ronaldo Has Received 200 Votes MORE Than Messi Across Ballon D'or History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.