Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola (25550 Views)

FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive / Obidient Tsunami In The Land, I Am Going Back To My Original Hustle - Chimaroke / EndSARS Protest: Fear Grips Politicians, Wealthy Nigerians Over Unabated Looting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Elchicolo: 4:56pm On Jul 29, 2019
The immediate former governor of Osun State Rauf Aregbesola has vowed to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy people in Nigeria, when a becomes a Minister of the Federal Republic.

He said this on Monday when he was being screened by the Senate.

The minister nominee said he was responding to the senator representing Abia central, Theodore Orji who asked for his view on multiple taxation and how it affects businesses.

“The truth is, Nigeria is a federation and I am a federalist. There is a limit to what we can do on taxation in the federation. I wouldn’t have loved to go into this because it is going to be controversial.

“We have left the rich men in Nigeria without discharging their responsibility to the citizens particularly on taxation.

“So, I am going to pioneer privilege taxes for those who have huge resources or wealth from which Nigerians must tap. If I go into this, there might be some ill feelings in some quarters, so I wont go deep into that.

“I will recommend serious taxation for wealthy people in Nigeria.

“If that will now translate to lifting the burden on the state and the local government to reduce the penchant for taxes that make poor people give from their inadequate resources, of course, I will be satisfied.

“I am going to advocate a just taxation system,” he said.

Mr Aregbesola was the fourth ministerial nominee to be screened on Monday. Thirty one ministerial nominees, of the 43 sent by President Muhammadu Buhari, had been screened last week by the lawmakers.

https://www.channelstv.com/2019/07/29/im-going-to-pioneer-serious-taxation-for-wealthy-nigerians-aregbesola/

8 Likes

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by bigpicture001: 4:58pm On Jul 29, 2019
Aregeshola.for finance minister...?

Tinubu.has well placed his pipe at naija.treasury

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Simplyleo: 4:59pm On Jul 29, 2019
And You are telling them to their face?

I doubt your sincerity, otherwise, that is automatic disqualification. angry

They would have disqualified you because senators are all rich men and you are directly hinting them of your plan to make life difficult for them.

19 Likes

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by xeleb(m): 5:01pm On Jul 29, 2019
ogbeni

4 Likes

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by jrusky(m): 5:01pm On Jul 29, 2019
Really

I just don't like man that can't keep their mouth shut like Rauf just did

You have not even being confirm yet you already exposing yourself.

Buhari has not even tells you what ministry will be under you you already exposing yourself talking blabla.

Now you have just shot yourself by the foot because those affluent ones you want to go after will fight back and make sure you are relegated to either state Minister or mere ministerial portfolio like *Water Resources Minister or Tourism Minister* and tell me how you will tax the wealthy ones, Mr blabla

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Iamgrey5(m): 5:01pm On Jul 29, 2019
They will simply move their wealth abroad even faster than they usually do.

Mauritius and co.

The legislathieves will simply move raw cash directly from their sharing gala they call the National assembly straight through our very porous borders to Benin republic. cheesy

Nigeria with its porous financial regulations?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 29, 2019
Including Tinubu

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 29, 2019
With all his opon imo and airport scam he got rewarded

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Kenneth10110(m): 5:02pm On Jul 29, 2019
That's what they say sometimes i wonder if they meant the opposite of what they actually said...
Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by crownwealth: 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
Where is our Opon’imo?

Professional rogue

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by benratigan3(m): 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
this used pant aregbesola get mouth talk? chai!!
5% of a poor man's 1000naira is equivalent to 5% of a rich mans' 1million naira.is he going to add to the burden,(multiple taxation)ongoing?
asked how to reduce multiple taxation, he's solution is multiple taxation
by over taxing the NIGERIAN rich you directly task the Nigerian poor

1 Like

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by crownwealth: 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
Tina26:
With all his opon imo and airport scam he got rewarded

Na so for the fraudulent party called APC

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
Person can't be rich again in peace?

1 Like

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by ivili(m): 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
Empty talk,that's all it is.For saying such blasphemy, ABBA Kyari would move him to Ministry of Sport.

6 Likes

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by bigx(m): 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
They'd just move out of the country.
It's only $100k to get another passport.

Fix basic amenities like Roads and Power.
Businesses would thrive and employ massively.
Millions of comfortable middle class Nigerians would be created.
Tax them normally and make more than trying to tax the few thousand "wealthy Nigerians"

Envious, empty people like this should never near government.
Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by RexTramadol1: 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
I would love that

But words of mouth easy than action that is required

1 Like

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by deolurexy1(m): 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
He just shot himself in the foot. Ode grin

3 Likes

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by martowskin1(m): 5:05pm On Jul 29, 2019
bigpicture001:

If aregbe becomes finance minister, then buhari has confirmed the stupidity people call him

OBJ try finally....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by crownwealth: 5:05pm On Jul 29, 2019
bigpicture001:

A refrigerator technician for finance minister?

IT IS FINISHED!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by 234ng44uk(m): 5:05pm On Jul 29, 2019
Wonder how someone who did so much damage to his state with numerous elephant projects, egregious debt burden for at least the next 3 generations to shoulder, civil servants paid half-salary for his entire 8 years, unprocessed pensions and gratuity for retirees, with zero financial sense now coming here to issue policies on finance. No hope for Nigeria with people like Aregbesola finding themselves in positions to wreck more havoc. He was a complete failure in Osun state. Now he's there in Abuja to ensure he populates his failure to the entire nation.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Adult1992(m): 5:05pm On Jul 29, 2019
ahh,i trust u baba
Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by babzo(m): 5:05pm On Jul 29, 2019
All na wash
Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by tfash96(m): 5:06pm On Jul 29, 2019
continue to rest in peace dear Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by SirLakes: 5:06pm On Jul 29, 2019
Haq Haq Haq cheesy

Local man is flababasted by this news grin
Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 29, 2019
Foolish government glorifying poverty. So those who has worked hard to the top shouldn't enjoy the reward of capitalism?
Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by highchiefpee(m): 5:06pm On Jul 29, 2019
Baba hafusa/halfsalary,I thought you are being screened for works minister abi what concerns ministry of works with taxation?abi you are no more a refrigerator technician..sorry ..engineer again?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I am going to pioneer serious taxation for wealthy Nigerians - Aregbesola by Uniqueteco(m): 5:06pm On Jul 29, 2019
You better wake up, you're no longer in Osun state where you can milk the treasury dry. This is Nigeria

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Femi Fani-kayode Hosts Governor Fayose To Dinner (photos) / Rumble In APC As Governors, Senators Clash Over 2019 Polls / Don’t Reverse Ban On Okada, Sagay Counsels Sanwo-olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.