Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,138 members, 7,860,090 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:43 AM

Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency (27286 Views)

El-Rufai Wants Politicians Using Religion As Campaign Tool Punished / APC Crisis: Crack In Presidency Widens As Osinbajo Maintains Position / El-rufai Wants To Be Vice President - Arewa Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by kayusely70(m): 2:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
Nigeria belongs to all of us not exclusively for a particular part.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by jessebig: 2:31pm On Aug 10, 2019
16Ebiscoo:
Governor Nasir El-Rufai warned against zoning of the Presidency between the North and South region of Nigeria in a prologue titled ‘Defeating a Determined Incumbent – The Nigerian Experience’, written in contributiion to a book by the Director-General of the Progressives Governors’ Forum, Salihu Lukma.

The Kaduna State Governor argued that the competence has to be taken up in place of zoning as Nigeria cannot afford towing same path again. He also described the present method of funding parties as “opaque” and also proposed a new method which will cut off godfathers, while revealing factors that contributed to electoral success of the All Progressives Congress in the 2015 presidential election.

He said, “Even with our success in the 2015 elections, there is room for improvement. Barriers to political equality, such as our seemingly entrenched though informal rule for zoning candidacies according to regions of origin, need to be de-emphasised and ultimately abandoned in favour of an emphasis on qualification, competence and character.

“The financing of parties, candidates and campaigns remains opaque.

“Many African countries are marked by savage inequalities, and a handful of individuals have the wherewithal to hold the process hostage.

“We must work towards funding parties via capped and fully disclosed donations and annual dues payable by every registered party member.”

Also campaigning for an improved judicial processes and promotion of the rule of law, El-Rufai listed some conditions neccesary for an opposition to defeat the incumbent as these;

“A unified opposition preferably merged into a single and well-structured political party well ahead of the next election cycle, and with transparent processes and progressive policies.

“A presidential candidate widely seen as credible and reformist to provide a sharp contrast to incumbents usually fattened by years of lazy, incompetent and corrupt rule.

“Honest elections that guarantee that votes count, using a mixture of competent electoral commission leadership and, crucially, deploying technologies for voter verification that drastically reduces electoral fraud.

“Credible elections are enemies of voter apathy. They enhance democratic legitimacy and citizen participation.

“Continuous engagement of the international community, particularly in the leading stable democracies as well as in multilateral institutions, to supply a crucial external fillip to the electoral process.”

President Buhari claimed that he and his party had the support of Nigerians in the foreword of the book. He also insisted that his administration reversed the downward slide the PDP pushed the nation into by squandering its resources.

He said, “There is no doubt that we have the popular support of Nigerians.

“I have seen this myself when I went around the 36 states and the FCT during the campaigns.

“The turnout of people and messages of goodwill across the country were what no individual, party or government could organise or buy.

“They were purely demonstrations of confidence in our administration and its political platform, the All Progressives Congress, the product of the merger.

“The multitude that trooped out to see me and hear me were reassuring that Nigeria, despite its cultural diversities, is united on the imperative of change.

“Our duty as leaders is to ensure that we keep this nation united, build a better future for the citizens and the coming generation.

“I feel that without coming together, we would not have been able to achieve this feat and Nigeria will be the worse for it.

“We remain the only hope of the country in terms of charting a politically stable and economically prosperous future for our people.

“I will, therefore, encourage us to continue leading this country effectively, now that Nigerians have entrusted us with a mandate once again to chart the course for the future of our beloved nation.”

However Alhaji Shuaibu Oyedokun, a member of Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party disagreed with El-Rufai on zoning. Though he admitted that competence should be given a better place than zoning, he added that zoning was established during the defunct National Party of Nigeria to ensure no part of the country was alienated.

Oyedokun said, “If we could find a way of strictly implementing zoning in the true spirit of it, i will say i want it. But do we sincerely implement it? If you zone a position to a particular area, people from other areas are not supposed to come out to contest but that is not the case.

“To me, the kind of country we have, being heterogeneous in nature, in term of religious and ethnicity, I think for now, we should adhere strictly to zoning. What he said is right under normal circumstances but as it is now, Nigeria cannot afford to jettison zoning now.”

https://www.mcebiscoo.com/governor-el-rufai-wants-zoning-stopped-in-presidency/

WATCH: Governor El rufai at Kaduna-Abuja Highway clearing the traffic caused by protesting tankers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTzkFu0NmT0
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 10, 2019
djon78:

If youruba has been the one shouting secession since, the North would have given them since unlike we Igbo's. They know the value we add to Nigeria, unlike you guys. So they will never let go. But 2023 is not far again

Another deluded Igbo man. What value do you add to Nigeria that does not dwindle into insignificance in relation to what Yorubas add? Is it your hustling sector that never pays tax? Abi the oil and cash crop agriculture , like Cocoa beans, you contribute more than others ba? If you want to do facts and are not another Igbo man long on hype and propaganda, yet short on real statistics and facts, then bring it.

I am always ready to expose the self-delusions of Igbos. As a taster, before you head into trouble, what do you contribute close to the fourth biggest export of Nigeria i.e Cocoa beans worth $660 million dollars a year to our central coffers? You think we are talking the informal and unregulated market Igbos love to operate in because they are very selfish individuals and are patently against paying tax while preferring to cart their untaxed profits to the Village to build mansion and play big man? Yeah you are worth a lot to Nigeria indeed.

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/nga/

Nigeria is the 49th largest export economy in the world and the 124th most complex economy according to the Economic Complexity Index (ECI). In 2017, Nigeria exported $46.8B and imported $34.2B, resulting in a positive trade balance of $12.7B. In 2017 the GDP of Nigeria was $375B and its GDP per capita was $5.87k.

The top exports of Nigeria are Crude Petroleum ($35.6B), Petroleum Gas ($6.47B), Refined Petroleum ($774M), Cocoa Beans ($660M) and Rough Wood ($321M).

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by djon78(m): 2:40pm On Aug 10, 2019
candidtalk:

Another deluded Igbo man. What value do you add to Nigeria that does not dwindle into insignificance in relation to what Yorubas add? Is it your hustling sector that never pays tax? Abi the oil and cash crop agriculture , like Cocoa, you contribute more than others ba? If you want to do facts and are not another Igbo man long on hype and propaganda, yet short on real statistics and facts, then bring it.

I am always ready to expose the self-delusions of Igbos. As a taster, before you head into trouble, what do you contribute close to the fourth biggest export of Nigeria i.e Cocoa bean worth $660 million dollars a year to our central coffers? You think we are talking the informal and unregulated market Igbos love to operate in because they are very selfish individuals and are patently against paying tax while preferring to cart their untaxed profits to the Village to build mansion and play big man? Yeah you are worth a lot to Nigeria indeed.

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/nga/

Where exactly can you find Yoruba's in large numbers except the South west. In North, West, South and East you find the Igbo man adding great economic value to anywhere he lives.

Quantify the investments of Yoruba's versus the Igbo's across Nigeria. You come and be quoting cocoa figure's.

Go and ask the Northerner's who adds value to them more. Do you people go out.
Even Northerner's live outside there zone in other parts of Nigeria more than you people.

You and Igbo man no be mate. We suffered many things yet bounced back and still thriving.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 10, 2019
djon78:

Where exactly can you find Yoruba's in large numbers except the South west. In North, West, South and East you find the Igbo man adding great economic value to anywhere he lives.

Quantify the investments of Yoruba's versus the Igbo's across Nigeria. You come and be quoting cocoa figure's.

Go and ask the Northerner's who adds value to them more. Do you people go out.
Even Northerner's live outside there zone in other parts of Nigeria more than you people.

You and Igbo man no be mate. We suffered many things yet bounced back and still thriving.

Sorry dude, no insult, but you are not very clever. Being the most itinerant ethnic group in Nigeria makes you the most valuable? Fulani herdsmen are itinerant. I guess that makes them more valuable to Nigeria than Yorubas!!!!!!! You are talking of "investment" that it is mainly clannish and involves tax-dodging Igbos who only want to keep 100% of their profit because of their anti-Nigeria outlook?

What makes you valuable to the centre above others? More realistic to actually view you guys as internal saboteurs. I knew you would do this i.e base your argument on the informal and unregulated sector that contributes little to Nigeria at the centre instead of showing your real and quantifiable value to the federal Government. Waste of time.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 3:26pm On Aug 10, 2019
Either in Politics, sports or Academics, there is no short cut to success.
emmasege:
Short man the devil is looking for a short cut to Aso Rock
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2019
It's very wrong to fix the debates about a presidential election in a country of 200 million citizens about a private individual.
There are over 1000 NIGERIANS that can be fanatastic Presidents.

What if there is no Tinubu by 2023?

kings59:
Trying every possible means to get rid of Tinubu.

By 2023, APC would be disintegrated.

Let us imagine this:

Atiku for president

GEJ for vice president

OR

Tinubu for president

EL Rufai for vice president

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 3:34pm On Aug 10, 2019
Please go and sit down.

Are the Yorubas the only people in Nigeria?
Are ALL Yorubas in only one party?
Do ALL Yorubas vote for only one party?
If Jonathan wasn't defeated in 2015, would he continue to be president permanently, won't a Nigerian ( most likely from the North succeed him) in 2019?
Won't there be other elections after 2023?

Intelligent discussion is above you sir

PaChukwudi44:

Were those all my predictions? You people never see anything yet.You yorubas did not learn anything from the Abiola saga

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Rilwayne001: 3:39pm On Aug 10, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

can you name just 1 state outside the sw that Tinubu can win

The fact that he can win the whole of Southwest is Enough to have influence in other states too.

Or are you thinking he's powerless even despite his anointed candidates winning in both houses?

You're telling yourself lies, and that makes you delusional.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 3:42pm On Aug 10, 2019
There is no threat to any god, it only exist in your imagination.

El-Rufai, Tinubu, Tambuwal, Atiku, Orji Kalu, Okorocha, Oshiomole or whosever is interested should contest, zoning is unnecessary.
Any zone that's not favoured now could be favoured tommorow.

Don't act based on the present alone.

PaChukwudi44:

I also predicted gbaja will lose in 2015 and that Saraki will complete his tenure.
BTW i am not the one threatening your god's presidential ambition.El-rufai is so better face him and leave me alone

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 10, 2019
oyatz:
It's very wrong to fix the debates about a presidential election in a country of 200 million citizens about a private individual.

Don't mind Igbos. Their main problem is that they see Tinubu as the reincarnation of Awolowo who happens to be the Yoruba man they hate the most. Tinubu himself is a smart man who will appreciate that his candidacy, for example, will be a harder sell than that of Fashola and Osinbajo or even Fayemi.Yet sensible Yorubas prefer Igbos to be the way they are. That way, they never see the sucker punch coming till it is too late to avoid it. Yes of course the Yorubas, out of many millions, have only Jagaban to offer in 2023.

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 10, 2019
oyatz:

Don't mind Igbos. Their main problem is that they see Tinubu as the reincarnation of Awolowo who happens to be the Yoruba man they hate the most. Tinubu himself is a smart man who will appreciate that his candidacy, for example, will be a harder sell than that of Fashola and Osinbajo or even Fayemi. Yet sensible Yorubas prefer Igbos to be the way they are. That way, they never see the sucker punch coming till it is too late to avoid it. Yes of course the Yorubas, out of many millions, have only Jagaban to offer in 2023.

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 4:02pm On Aug 10, 2019
Long time bro.
It's like you too a leave from Nairaland after the exit of Okorocha from Imo State?

Abagworo:
The only zoning I understand is Igbo Presidency. It's long overdue
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by PaChukwudi44(m): 4:12pm On Aug 10, 2019
Rilwayne001:

The fact that he can win the whole of Southwest is Enough to have influence in other states too.

Or are you thinking he's powerless even despite his anointed candidates winning in both houses?

You're telling yourself lies, and that makes you delusional.
Tinubu will need more than just the SW if he ever hopes to be president.

BTW there is nothing like Tinubu's annointed candidate.They won because they had the backing of the presidency and not Tinubu
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 4:15pm On Aug 10, 2019
I always like to read your comments sir.

I perceive that you are indeed a prophet!

So what do think could have been done to avert this Political revelation you just gave us?

Bigseven:
We saw it coming but we re patiently waiting for the manisfistation of the game plan. Yorubas didnt see it coming, they thought presidency will be zoned to them. PDP will bring a northernan already, APC will bring el rufai either as VP then later delibrate plane crash will clear the road for him to emerge as the President. Then the case of jonathan and yar'adu'a will make him the president or his aforementioned statement will be sponsored by the same northern pepu there by paving way for him to contest during primaries then money will talk because deligates are after highest bidder not charisma, then major fall out will set in btw osibaba, tinunu, and fashosho. North then comfortebly ascend to power. Wait and see.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 4:30pm On Aug 10, 2019
Mr Man, you are likely to have heart attack with the ways you carry Tinubu's matter on your head like Brazilian hair.

Leave Tinubu's matter and focus on how you can develop your life and achieve at least half of what Tinubu has achieved.

All what you are saying are what Tinubu or any serious presidential contender would have anticipated and have looked for solutions to it or have Plan-B.
It's not all their plans and strategies that you know about.

PaChukwudi44:

Tinubu will need more than just the SW if he ever hopes to be president.

BTW there is nothing like Tinubu's annointed candidate.They won because they had the backing of the presidency and not Tinubu

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Bigseven(m): 4:36pm On Aug 10, 2019
oyatz:
I always like to read your comments sir.

I perceive that you are indeed a prophet!

So what do think could have been done to avert this Political revelation you just gave us?

i'm not the supposed personality you've thought to be, rather i live in nigeria where the trend of events happens. So open your ears, eyes then you'll need not a seeier to tell you what is or will happen
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Ugosample(m): 4:48pm On Aug 10, 2019
BlackPeni5:
The first step should be the abolishment of federal character.
exactly
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by djon78(m): 4:51pm On Aug 10, 2019
candidtalk:

Sorry dude, no insult, but you are not very clever. Being the most itinerant ethnic group in Nigeria makes you the most valuable? Fulani herdsmen are itinerant. I guess that makes them more valuable to Nigeria than Yorubas!!!!!!! You are talking of "investment" that it is mainly clannish and involves tax-dodging Igbos who only want to keep 100% of their profit because of their anti-Nigeria outlook?

What makes you valuable to the centre above others? More realistic to actually view you guys as internal saboteurs. I knew you would do this i.e base your argument on the informal and unregulated sector that contributes little to Nigeria at the centre instead of showing your real and quantifiable value to the federal Government. Waste of time.

What's Nigeria's GDP over $500billion

What's Nigeria's annual budget around $20billion

How much does Nigeria make yeraly from crude sales? Not up to $30billion because when you add money from custom and FIRS Nigeria still runs deficit and can't meet up her obligations so that's why government still borrows to plug the shortfall

Majority of the money flowing within the economy is located in the informal sector. All Igbo business men doing importation still source there dollars from black market and not from CBN s subsidized rate.

read up more on Nigeria's economic data
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by maasoap(m): 5:53pm On Aug 10, 2019
PaChukwudi44:
We all saw it coming.See wetin sophisticated politics de cause.

Where do you think PDP presidential candidate in 2023 will come from?

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by nwanyionitsha: 7:21pm On Aug 10, 2019
Morenikeji070:
Why are u disturbing yourself calm down and watch... southerner got the president under Apc.
haqhaqhaq
Eventuarry ,we go see the end.
You don't know war is going on.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Morenikeji070: 7:42pm On Aug 10, 2019
Forget that no war going on. Southerner got the president under Apc period.
nwanyionitsha:
haqhaqhaq
Eventuarry ,we go see the end.
You don't know war is going on.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 9:55pm On Aug 10, 2019
Yes, you are right.

Power will return to the SE in 2023 and my preferred candidate is Pa Chukwudi.

PaChukwudi44:

If indeed Power will return to the south.It wont be the SW.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by nisai: 10:00pm On Aug 10, 2019
oyatz:
Yes, you are right.

Power will return to the SE in 2023 and my preferred candidate is Pa Chukwudi.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by oyatz(m): 11:40pm On Aug 10, 2019
Sir, we all learn from the past and become wiser.

So what do you think they should have done in 2015 and what could have been the possible Cascade of reactions that would have followed it.

Bigseven:
i'm not the supposed personality you've thought to be, rather i live in nigeria where the trend of events happens. So open your ears, eyes then you'll need not a seeier to tell you what is or will happen
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by stieyven(m): 1:23am On Aug 11, 2019
actoor:

Don't mind the Oloribu Mr Miget aka Prof. Bodybag.
He who calls his brother a fool shall be in danger of hell. Matthew 5 :22
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by actoor(m): 8:10am On Aug 11, 2019
stieyven:

He who calls his brother a fool shall be in danger of hell. Matthew 5 :22

So Hell-Rufai is your brother?
You better wake up and stop been miserable on a public platform.
LoL...
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by SamNaijaboy: 8:20am On Aug 12, 2019
El-Rufai is just flying a kite.
It’s just to test the waters and I was not surprised that some people supported it grin since it seemed it was aimed at Tinubu or Yoruba. Anything to hurt Yoruba for those people.

No one knows who will be President in 2023 but it’s either a Southerner or a Southerner cheesy
So either a Southerner gets there in abuja or a Southerner gets there in Ibadan as Oduduwa country president. Up to El-Rufai and his posse.

In any case for every El-Rufai is a Lawan who wants the SW.
But whoever gets the ticket in the SW APC should NEVER choose El-Rufai as VP if he intends to be alive for the 8 years.

Every Yoruba who has family in the army should start to
Sensitize them about the need to break off if there is some shenanigans.

That said, a Christian Southerner has more chance of winning

fergie001:
E reach now, you remember no-zoning abi?

Anyways, whatever you guys decide is OK, after all if I abuse you finish for NL...e no concern you sef!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by kettykin: 8:49am On Aug 12, 2019
SamNaijaboy:
El-Rufai is just flying a kite.
It’s just to test the waters and I was not surprised that some people supported it grin since it seemed it was aimed at Tinubu or Yoruba. Anything to hurt Yoruba for those people.

No one knows who will be President in 2023 but it’s either a Southerner or a Southerner cheesy
So either a Southerner gets there in abuja or a Southerner gets there in Ibadan as Oduduwa country president. Up to El-Rufai and his posse.

In any case for every El-Rufai is a Lawan who wants the SW.
But whoever gets the ticket in the SW APC should NEVER choose El-Rufai as VP if he intends to be alive for the 8 years.

Every Yoruba who has family in the army should start to
Sensitize them about the need to break off if there is some shenanigans.

That said, a Christian Southerner has more chance of winning

This is interesting, if there will be zoning then it has to go south east or south south, if south west getting it then it is no longer zoning but power allocation.

If it based on vote contributions and not zoning then let north central have it or edo state , because they have contributed so much to APC
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Midex88(m): 8:05am On Aug 13, 2019
kettykin:

This is interesting, if there will be zoning then it has to go south east or south south, if south west getting it then it is no longer zoning but power allocation.

If it based on vote contributions and not zoning then let north central have it or edo state , because they have contributed so much to APC

So in your mind southeast and south south have contributed to APC than the southwest.
Pls let me know those contributions
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 13, 2019
kettykin:

Why do you people never do reality? Even if not the outcome you want, why can you and your kinsmen not be adult about the current reality that holds sway on ground in Nigeria today? SS, through GEJ, had 5 or so years before Buhari so who will back them for potential 8 years, making 13, in a 24 years cycle i.e 2007 to 2031? It makes sense to you to have SS (GEJ) North (Buhari) and then SS immediately afterwards ba?

As for Igbos, of course you qualify. Yet, are you not honest enough to admit that the antics of your ethnic group leaves all others, including even your staunchest allies in the SS, unwilling to trust you with power let alone the North that will not entertain any threat to one Nigeria they feel their survival depends on? Keep fooling yourself. Igbo men are never born with a single pragmatic bone in their body. Just emotions and sentiments 24/7.
Re: Governor El-rufai Wants Zoning Stopped In Presidency by myobjective: 8:25am On Aug 13, 2019
kettykin:

If it based on vote contributions and not zoning then let north central have it or edo state, because they have contributed so much to APC

Zoning should be between the north and the south since the north has three geopolitical zones while the south also has three.

When it comes to the south, whomever that is interested can vie for the presidency, nobody will give you on a plate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sit-At-Home: Any Of Our Members Disturbing People Should Be Arrested - IPOB / Hausa/Fulani Youth Forum Protests Over Muslim-Muslim Ticket (Video) / Aso Rock Emptied Already - Garba Shehu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.