Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,842 members, 7,813,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference (5288 Views)

Fresh Crisis Hits PDP Over Planned Reform Conference / Register To Attend The First National Youth Reform Conference In Nigeria / Describe Your Governor's Performance In 2012 In One Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by jason12345: 8:04pm On Oct 29, 2010
Godman_n:

Silly Nigerians.

Learn from United Kingdom. They have the Scots, the English and the Welsh who have fought several deadly wars in the past; yet they have a perfect union that works for all of them. Why do Tribalism always stop us from coming to together tot confront our common problem?

Igbo, Huasa, Yoruba etc, our problems are of the same making: bad leadership.
Let us join hand and remove them so that we can all have a better country. IBB did not do any favour to the Huasas by the way he destroyed Nigeria. Obasanjo did no favour tot the Yorubas when he wasted our eight years. The bad politicians in the East, North, West, or South-South is working for none of us.

Also remember the strength of a modern nation derives from their economy; and in the present world that we are in, the market size of any economy is a serious bargain tool. Why do we have the European Union if not for a bigger European market? We need every other part of Nigeria to build a great Nigerian State. If possible, we need the whole of Africa to come together so that we can restore the pride of the black man.

A tiny Arewa, Biafra or Oduduwa republic with a small market size of less than 50 million will never make any impact in the world. We need world power that can rise to save the Black man. Only Nigeria have the size to do this if we can get our acts together as a nation.

Or do we rather prefer that Africa remain the way we are presently: a land to be used and dumped by every other nation on earth?

Please guys wake up. It is for our common good.

fact!!! i support your statement!!! but in nigeria, inequality prevails!!! every ethnic group must protect their interest to prevent discrimination
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by auwal87(m): 8:42pm On Aug 27, 2011
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by okadaman2: 9:02pm On Aug 27, 2011
@Auwal shey una don ready for the second aburi/Araba conference?

Abeg tell sultan make e make up hin mind quick o, we can't wait.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by ShangoThor(m): 9:41pm On Aug 27, 2011
Auwal87 I actually admire you, I find your honesty quite refreshing, personally speaking I accept and recognize your right as a region and distinctive culture to assert yourselves. I find a lot of Nigerians as being extremely fake and this has been the main source to the problems in Nigeria.

I just hope we can work together in order to find a peaceful settlement in order to facilitate a peaceful regional separation. We all know and accept that Nigeria is a colonial construct and we have all been forced together.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by auwal87(m): 9:42pm On Aug 27, 2011
ShangoThor:

Auwal87 I actually admire you, I find your honesty quite refreshing, personally speaking I accept and recognize your right as a region and distinctive culture to assert yourselves. I find a lot of Nigerians as being extremely fake and this has been the main source to the problems in Nigeria.

I just hope we can work together in order to find a peaceful settlement in order to facilitate a peaceful regional separation. We all know and accept that Nigeria is a colonial construct and we have all been forced together.

Thanks for the admiration. There is only one truth, and that is what I am trying to reveal.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by okadaman2: 10:16pm On Aug 27, 2011
@Auwal what is the Northern power establishment doing to bring about this dream?

Maitama sule is a member of that establishment, I don't think it's incorrect to mention that PDP, the party ruling us since we returned to democracy 12 years ago has a big following and influence in the North. At least until CPC came to take a bit away.

The SW and the SS have at least championed the call for a sovereign "Aburi like" conference since 1993 and for the SE we all know where they stand.

ACN, as the party with the biggest following in the SW and parts of the SS just like their previous appearances "AD" have continued to call for this same decision, most of their elected officials still speak about a SNC even in office as Govs and Senators.

Same for SS through the Ijaw national council, MEND and other influential regional bodies, I heard so little from influential northern political and cultural figures until Boko-Haram came out.

I Don't think it's unfair for me to suggest that the North and their elite politicians are the silent ones on this issue.

So who are you speaking for Auwal? Are your leaders ready to support the call for talks on how to enshrine true confederacy or disintegrate peacefully?

Or are they waiting for chaos and bloodshed before they speak up?
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by aljharem3: 10:17pm On Aug 27, 2011
auwal87:

Thanks for the admiration. There is only one truth, and that is what I am trying to reveal.

auwal what is happening

1. when did arewa = hausa land

2. why should we leave when we are about to have the whole of the southern nigeria

why brother ?
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by aljharem3: 10:25pm On Aug 27, 2011
why ?
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by ektbear: 10:59pm On Aug 27, 2011
I support Arewa Republic. I support a Biafra of the 5 SE states. I'll also support a ND republic of some sort in 20 years time or so.

I would suggest though that it is strategically unwise to give your republic an "ethnic" name like Hausaland. After all, you would have Kanuri, Fulani, Gwari and Nupes in this nation too, no?

To my knowledge, Lugard and Bello after him focused on northern identity rather than ethnicity for this very reason.

It would even be wiser to focus on religion (Islam) than ethnicity.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by dempeople(m): 11:03pm On Aug 27, 2011
auwal87:

[flash=420,345]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6TSPcAKepM[/flash]

Your so-called Maitama Sule, the man who impregnated his own daughter is the one who you're listening to for inspiration?

Anyways, talk is cheap. If Hausa were a progressive ethnic group then West African would've been very positively transformed long ago but the reverse is the case. Your dream to almajiranise the north is welcome but if it were for the whole country then your dream will fail even with your Boko Haram efforts.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by aljharem3: 11:03pm On Aug 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

I support Arewa Republic. I support a Biafra of the 5 SE states. I'll also support a ND republic of some sort in 20 years time or so.

I would suggest though that it is strategically unwise to give your republic an "ethnic" name like Hausaland. After all, you would have Kanuri, Fulani, Gwari and Nupes in this nation too, no?

To my knowledge, Lugard and Bello after him focused on northern identity rather than ethnicity for this very reason.

It would even be wiser to focus on religion (Islam) than ethnicity.

no point in focusing on religion, there are Christians as well

moreover we have yorubas, idoma, igala etc in arewa as well

Just arewa land is ok.

although i do not see the point
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by ektbear: 11:06pm On Aug 27, 2011
^--- I said "even be wiser." Not "it would be wisest."

If you read my post carefully, you should see that I'm saying Arewa nation identity > religious identity > Hausa identity.

At least, that is what I'd do if I wanted to forge diverse peoples into one.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by aljharem3: 11:08pm On Aug 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

^--- I said "even be wiser." Not "it would be wisest."

If you read my post carefully, you should see that I'm saying Arewa nation identity > religious identity > Hausa identity.

At least, that is what I'd do if I wanted to forge diverse peoples into one.

oh ok. well said
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by okadaman2: 11:09pm On Aug 27, 2011
^
@DemDem The maker of that video criticized Sule at the end, I don't think they are fans of his at all.

Anyway, I hope Auwal can answer my questions.

@Ekt_bear, for the sake of the Kanuris, nupe, ebira and other "northern" people, it's better the Hausa or Fulani have their own separate country diffrent from the minorities. I hope they succeed.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by ektbear: 11:19pm On Aug 27, 2011
okada_man:

^
@DemDem The maker of that video criticized Sule at the end, I don't think they are fans of his at all.

Anyway, I hope Auwal can answer my questions.

@Ekt_bear, for the sake of the Kanuris, nupe, ebira and other "northern" people, it's better the Hausa or Fulani have their own separate country diffrent from the minorities. I hope they succeed.

I'm not lumping the middle belters with the core northerners. But at this point, aren't Kanuri and Nupe core northerners? Don't they speak Hausa as the day to day language in Borno State? Supposedly the PDP chairman in Borno State is a Hausa.

I think Kanuri and Nupe would rather be in the same nation as the core north. Kwara, Kogi, Benue, etc, probably not.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by dempeople(m): 11:20pm On Aug 27, 2011
@okada_man,

grin

Bros, dem_people is not DemDem o. We're different monikers.  wink

Godman_n:

Silly Nigerians.

Learn from United Kingdom. They have the Scots, the English and the Welsh who have fought several deadly wars in the past; yet they have a perfect union that works for all of them. Why do Tribalism always stop us from coming to together tot confront our common problem?

Igbo, Huasa, Yoruba etc, our problems are of the same making: bad leadership.
Let us join hand and remove them so that we can all have a better country. IBB did not do any favour to the Huasas by the way he destroyed Nigeria. Obasanjo did no favour tot the Yorubas when he wasted our eight years. The bad politicians in the East, North, West, or South-South is working for none of us.

Also remember the strength of a modern nation derives from their economy; and in the present world that we are in, the market size of any economy is a serious bargain tool. Why do we have the European Union if not for a bigger European market? We need every other part of Nigeria to build a great Nigerian State. [s]If possible, we need the whole of Africa to come together so that we can restore the pride of the black man.[/s]

A tiny Arewa, Biafra or Oduduwa republic with a small market size of less than 50 million will never make any impact in the world. We need world power that can rise to save the Black man. Only Nigeria have the size to do this if we can get our acts together as a nation.

Or do we rather prefer that Africa remain the way we are presently: a land to be used and dumped by every other nation on earth?

Please guys wake up. It is for our common good.

I support your statements but on the cancelled, Africa need not be one single country entity. The horn of africa do not mostly see themselves as Africans. The north africans are arabs in mindset. If anything, west africa - including Cameron should be one single country but I doubt if this would work. It would've worked during the 60s independence eras.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by okadaman2: 2:42am On Aug 28, 2011
^
Oh sorry. my mistake smiley
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by okadaman2: 3:28am On Aug 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm not lumping the middle belters with the core northerners. But at this point, aren't Kanuri and Nupe core northerners? Don't they speak Hausa as the day to day language in Borno State? Supposedly the PDP chairman in Borno State is a Hausa.

I think Kanuri and Nupe would rather be in the same nation as the core north. Kwara, Kogi, Benue, etc, probably not.

You have a point.

But The Kanuris maybe, I'm not so sure about the Nupe. In an atmosphere where everyone has little to lose and Nigeria cannot hold anymore, I believe the Nupe will prefer to stay in a country with other middlebelt minorities.

I also believe that if Nigeria is breaking, the faux power of the Fulani will definitely go with it, I don't know of any other country in west Africa where the Fulani weild as much power as they do in Nigeria. Frankly Nigeria has been good for Fulani's a break-up will demystify them. I'm sure northern minorities know this too.

The vision of Othman Dan Fodio and the dreams of the Sardauna cannot be actualised for the Fulani's outside of Nigeria, apart from Islam and maybe language( which has become universal in northern Nigeria and can be used effectively by any of the major groups) I see the Fulani's and to a smaller extent the Hausas losing ground and power to other ambitious northern groups, Gwaris, Kanuris, Nupes or a coalition of those groups.

It will be less for the Hausas because of their sheer number and the reach of their culture and language. But if the boko haram type of agitation continues they will lose out culturally and Politically even in a united north. Because the world is changing and the kind of pastoral close mindedness embraced and enforced by Fulani and Hausa feudal aristocracy will alienate them and become their undoing.

The northern minorities have embraced education and exposure in much larger numbers and you can see the effects in their access in the military, academia and the increasing conflict between northern minority christians and the majority Muslims. I dare to say the minorities will find stronger allies in a changing world, I can't say the same for the Fulanis if Nigeria breaks.

No more free access to resource dollars will mean less power. Outside the Islam world, I see little opportunity for support unless they re-invent some worldviews and their minorities are far ahead of them in that regard is you ask me.

The world is moving away from the Dan fodio feudalistic "arab focused" conquer for islam vision, it will be a mistake for the Fulani's and Hausas is they don't smell the coffee on time.

Just my opinion. Just my thoughts

BTW I don't necessarily want Nigeria to break up, but Nigeria is a fraud as it currently stands. I will prefer if we can agree to a loose confederacy for the sake of shared history, values, security and maybe economics. But we all have to agree to it. It is possible.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by ektbear: 3:36am On Aug 28, 2011
Lots of good stuff in what you wrote. Truth be told, I know almost nothing about the Nupe; never been to northern Kwara or Niger State before in my life. However, I'm drawing my guess based upon the election results. And a few other things I have heard and read from papers.

okada_man:

BTW I don't necessarily want Nigeria to break up, but Nigeria is a fraud as it currently stands. I will prefer if we can agree to a loose confederacy for the sake of shared history, values, security and maybe economics. But we all have to agree to it. It is possible.
Well said.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by aljharem3: 3:43am On Aug 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lots of good stuff in what you wrote. Truth be told, I know almost nothing about the Nupe; never been to northern Kwara or Niger State before in my life. However, I'm drawing my guess based upon the election results. And a few other things I have heard and read from papers.
Well said.

nupe culture is not far off the yoruba ones, very close to the ibadan, kwara way of life. think of hausa mixed with yoruba culture.

even if u have alone been to lagos, u would see nupe people there with there way of life
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by okadaman2: 3:55am On Aug 28, 2011
Based on my own understanding, the major difference between Nupe culture and Northern Yoruba culture is language, even most of them share islam in common sef.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by auwal87(m): 2:04am On Aug 29, 2011
All of you making noise about Kanuri, Nupe, Fulani, Hausa, etc. Nigeria wouldn't have been as it is today if those factors were considered when amalgamating. We are looking at this separation in a "Save the Future" way. Trial of course, The tribes in Arewa are much much more closer to Hausa and Fulani (whom happens to be the majority) than say Kanuri or Nupe. Almost all ethnic minorities in Arewa can speak Hausa. The idea of "Hausaland" is not to make everybody speak Hausa, but to make it clear that the land is Hausa, everyone is welcome to become a citizen in as much as he is fully qualified based on the set rules and regulations. This is very very important (A british man to spend 10 years in Hausaland can be naturalized). A very neutral set of rules and very simple way of life.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by Hadone(m): 10:59am On Sep 02, 2011
@auwal & all stakeholders
[size=18pt]I think we better sort out and come up with a comprehensive name that'll suit our teritory (Northern Nigeria) I personally also don't buy the idea of the name Hausaland, let it be modified. Ko mun kira ta kasar Hausa ko bamuce mata ba Hausawane dai za suyi zarra a kan komai ko an ki ko anso. Kuma harshen Hausa fa a Halin yanzu is not regarded as a domestic but International Language spoken in not less than eight (cool African countries. Therefore we should think of another valuable name.[/size]
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by dustydee: 12:27pm On Sep 02, 2011
if you had channeled this energy into something productive, you would have been a millionaire by now.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by IG: 3:21am On Sep 05, 2011
@Auwal, just give it up. Throughout history, the Hausas have never ruled non-Hausas and they have never won a war against non-Hausas. The Hausa language spread fast and far simply because it is the language of trade. I am a Borno man, our historical empire covers an area larger than today's Nigeria. We've never been militarily conquered by Europeans. God did not make me Hausa so you can't talk me or any of my people into joining an imaginary Hausa republic. We are part of Nigeria and will try to make it work. Afterall, the Kanem-Borno empire was a multi-ethnic federation much like Nigeria. We've learned to live with people of different ethnicities long before the creation of Nigeria.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by aljharem3: 4:00am On Sep 05, 2011
auwal87:

All of you making noise about Kanuri, Nupe, Fulani, Hausa, etc. Nigeria wouldn't have been as it is today if those factors were considered when amalgamating. We are looking at this separation in a "Save the Future" way. Trial of course, The tribes in Arewa are much much more closer to Hausa and Fulani (whom happens to be the majority) than say Kanuri or Nupe. Almost all ethnic minorities in Arewa can speak Hausa. The idea of "Hausaland" is not to make everybody speak Hausa, but to make it clear that the land is Hausa, everyone is welcome to become a citizen in as much as he is fully qualified based on the set rules and regulations. This is very very important (A british man to spend 10 years in Hausaland can be naturalized). A very neutral set of rules and very simple way of life.

saw this late

@bolded with is the meaning of that ?

which land is hausa ? do u mean borno, niger, kwara, kogi, benue, nasawarra, plateau, gombe ,yobe, adamawa, and taraba are all hausa land ?

when did kanuri people become hausa and other like berom nupe, igala etc become hausa

saying that will make our so call freedom republic fail and people would laugh at us. AGAIN it is save to say AREWA REPUBLIC which is still tolerable than HAUSALAND.

I support ur idea but saying hausaland etc is rubbish and would make our republic fail even before inception. I hope u understand brother
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by aljharem3: 4:01am On Sep 05, 2011
IG:

@Auwal, just give it up. Throughout history, the Hausas have never ruled non-Hausas and they have never won a war against non-Hausas. The Hausa language spread fast and far simply because it is the language of trade. I am a Borno man, our historical empire covers an area larger than today's Nigeria. We've never been militarily conquered by Europeans. God did not make me Hausa so you can't talk me or any of my people into joining an imaginary Hausa republic. We are part of Nigeria and will try to make it work. Afterall, the Kanem-Borno empire was a multi-ethnic federation much like Nigeria. We've learned to live with people of different ethnicities long before the creation of Nigeria.

u have said it all
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by IG: 4:02am On Sep 05, 2011
@Auwal, you also seem to have deliberately mistranslated the words of Sheikh Jaafar in your video. There is never a point where he advocated for the splitting of Nigeria. He simply acknowledged that all signs are pointing to the future disintegration of Nigeria which he clearly stated doesn't hope will happen.
Re: The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference by auwal87(m): 9:11am On Sep 07, 2011
IG:

@Auwal, you also seem to have deliberately mistranslated the words of Sheikh Jaafar in your video. There is never a point where he advocated for the splitting of Nigeria. He simply acknowledged that all signs are pointing to the future disintegration of Nigeria which he clearly stated doesn't hope will happen.

And where did I said he advocated for the split of Nigeria? He made his prediction, and that is what I said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can You Spot The Mistake? / How Tinubu And Wike Gave Sgf And C.o.s To The North. / I Am On Radio This Moment Discussing Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.