Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City (9552 Views)

Labor Party: I Think The Enugu Campaign Rally Is The Biggest One So Far / Atiku: I Am Truly Being Pampered In My Hometown, Hope I Don't Add Extra Weight / Professor Olutayo Adesina: ‘Why Fulani Remained Most Pampered Stock’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by OEPHIUS(m): 5:23am On Sep 01, 2019
THE ENUGU SEASON OF BAPTISM AND THE STORY OF A PAMPERED CITY.

By Izuchukwu Enewali

Dr. Jude Nwachukwu’s piece “Herdsmen and Enugu Politics”, in the ‘Daily Sun’ issue of Wednesday 14th August 2019 made an interesting reading. In an apparent reinforcement of the Chuba Okadigbo theory of Bikini in political discourse, what it revealed are quite interesting, even more so, what is yet hidden in it! It undertook a deep introspection of the political dynamism of the Coal City State, and the forces that regulate the temperature. With the benefits of hindsight, especially against the backdrop of recent happenings, one is tempted to conclude that some facts inherent in the piece are too immanent and immutably unassailable. He noted that beyond the prevailing specter of banditry, what was unravelling in the state was a war of the godfathers. He insists that it was quite unusual for the Coal City to have suddenly lost her traditional cool and “tranquil ambience” and adorn a new toga reminiscent of the dark days of the original godfather war between 1999 and 2007.  He describes the recent security breaches in the state as “contrived banditry” employing the bogey of the pervasive Fulani national menace, but which ultimate underlining purpose was to tar the peaceful profile of the state, create frictions and possibly blackmail the governor to toe some certain lines outside his avowed convictions, especially as it relates to the 2023 governorship contest in the state. He concludes that the localization of this mayhem in a certain part of the state, may after all not just be a coincidence but a carefully woven and piloted onslaught targeted at certain goals.

Enugu is however an unusual state and her political and social history still remain that of an over-pampered being! Her cities are arguably the most organized in Nigeria, comparable only perhaps to what was envisioned for Abuja, the federal capital territory. The streets are well laid out and congenially paved, with purpose-built drainage systems and structural developments that tell much about the intelligence and industry of a certain specie of the Nigerian tribes. In its tranquil culture, what may generally be considered as “normal” in other parts of the country, (or even the other South East states), are often seen as abominable in Enugu. It is still an idealistic setting oblivious of how much the Nigerian state has been challenged and hobbled in the past few decades. Thus, every well-placed Igbo who cherishes peace, refinement and class plans to have a home in Enugu. He could well ply his businesses in other cities around, but would not mind to have his wife and children domiciled in the Coal City where he would regularly return to spend the weekends and other holidays. To underscore this idyllic profile, the state has an uncommon cluster of very standard luxury hotels and recreational facilities far in number of over 300! The residents are so pampered such that they loathe such normal challenges even as trifle as the traffic snarl (hold-up); complain bitterly when there is no water from the public tap and blame the governor of the state when there is power failure! It does not matter to an Enugu resident that the Police Commissioner in the state is not by command structure, answerable to the governor of the state per se! As far as he is concerned, the governor is the ‘Chief Security Officer’ of the state, and therefore he is expected to be literally omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent! Remind him that security has grossly broken down in several states around in the country, and he would quickly ask you why Enugu should not be an exception? That is the story of the Coal City State; that would also continue to be the burden of whoever governs the state!

Therefore, without the political conspiracy theories around the recent security situation, one can safely say that there is actually nothing quite peculiarly unusual about what is presently happening in Enugu State vis-à-vis the rest of the country. The security situation in the country has been so challenged that it is already an issue of concern to everybody. As heinous and despicable as kidnapping is, it is a fact that this has unfortunately become the most “lucrative” crime in the country now. Apart from the yahoo-yahoo scam, it is easily the most widespread crime in the country today. There is no state that does not witness it almost on daily basis such that we give God the glory that Enugu has greatly been spared of it. In spite of the social media blitzkrieg, Enugu still remains one of the most peaceful states in the country. During the last gubernatorial campaigns in the state, it was an unassailable truth that the state was the most peaceful in the country and much of this success story was attributable to the affable and congenial character of the governor of the state.

It is perhaps the conspiracy theory around the crisis that should concern every one of us. Dr. Nwachukwu hinted that at the root of all these new dimensions rest the politics of 2023! Although I do not agree with him that the localization of the heist in a particular zone is evidence of this theory, I am however minded to caution that our security should be well above pecuniary politics. It is important to note that all the administrations since the inception of the present political dispensation, also had certain seasons that challenged the security architecture of the state. During Chimaroke Nnamani’s tenure, the state was literally at war with all manner of killings and other cult wars. During the Sullivan Chime’s regime, the notorious Ngwu Egereomu, the dreaded armed robber and his gang that terrorized the whole state and defied security surveillance for several years, defined that era and incidentally also operated from that axis. The Ihe caves hold the notorious distinction as the historical, howbeit unintended sanctuary to dreaded criminals and therefore need to give way. However, the crucial difference between those days and now, is that whereas politicians in the state considered those security challenges as a common burden, and joined hands with the state in tackling same, this time around some well-placed people who ought to know better are seemingly playing politics with our collective security and seem too determined to stoke and sustain it. Even more compelling is the suggestion that the zoning template which had guided the state politics and guaranteed peace in the state is at the root of it all. It is therefore important to caution all those dissembling schemers to note that this state is bigger than every one of us. The quantum development that the state has witnessed in the last 30 years can easily be traceable to the functionality of this unwritten code. Interestingly, this template has been adopted by other states in the country including  the South East. To therefore imagine that anyone would seek to truncate it and force the state into unimaginable crisis is not only selfish, but a classic case of ingratitude especially when it is realized that some of the figures been fingered in this hate scheme all owe their current political heights to the benevolence of an Nkanu man which turn they allegedly seek to truncate.

But beyond all these, Enugu is without doubt, in safe hands and still remains in the hands of God. We are lucky to have a very responsible and responsive governor who keeps awake so that we can sleep. Seeing the way he has been personally involved in seeking out palliative measures in the face of this challenge, including entering some hideouts of these criminals, one is bound to feel his personal pulse and concern. He has equally enunciated certain functional measures including the recruitment of some thousands of forest guards across the 17 local government councils of the state. We must acknowledge that the times have changed, security is now the central issue in governance and therefore no longer an exclusive preserve of the government. It calls for the involvement of everyone notwithstanding the political configurations we individually fancy. The criminals themselves do not know which party or godfather you are beholding to and their modus operandi defy reason. Thus while some of us choose to play this vile politics of blackmail, and recklessly employ the social media to certain destructive ends, we must all acknowledge that the society is beyond our individual complexes and foibles. Fortuitously, the Police Commissioner whose laxity was generally acknowledged as a factor in this degeneration has now been changed. We can only hope that the new helmsman live up to the challenges of the moment and bring the state back to its enviable peace.

As for the Governor, I would charge him not to relent in his efforts at keeping the state as peaceful and safe even as he was able to achieve before the current challenge. There is need for an urgent institution of a Security Trust Fund to be managed by people outside the purview of the state government. Given that Enugu is a gift to the generality of the Igbo, I have no doubt that the trademark Igbo can-do spirit, which had seen them triumph over several odds would easily be mobilized and deployed to tackle this incipient threat. He should bear in mind that there is perhaps none so loved by God that does not go through some baptisms. This is perhaps his own season of baptism as a governor. There has never been a road so straight it doesn’t have bends; just as there would never be a road so smooth it doesn’t have bumps. No matter how much we may try, man by nature is often vulnerable to such vagaries and funny quirks of destiny. I am sure that this is yet another phase vile scheming and it will still pass away. But I also expect him to quickly balance his usual faith in consulting widely before taking crucial state actions with the reality of the times and set up the structure of governance of the state. Some of these desperations could be cured by the interventions that could come from officials of the state who must perform to be approved.

Barr. Enewali writes from Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by harrycoko: 5:36am On Sep 01, 2019
Another one
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by harrycoko: 5:36am On Sep 01, 2019
Next
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by luvme0702: 5:37am On Sep 01, 2019
Abeg who don read am finish? Summary pls!

4 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by mrNEMZY(m): 5:41am On Sep 01, 2019
This looks like those jamb English comprehensions.

I had to read the opening paragraph a few times and yet it wasn't quite clear.

Does writing articles in a quite difficult to comprehend manner manner make it seem more intelligent?
You can write in a plane words, intrigue your audience and pass the information across.

Nonsense

By the way, Enugu have never had this kind of lazy governor

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by helinues: 5:43am On Sep 01, 2019
Someone should please Summarise and also tell us Moral of the epistles.

Thank you

2 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by seanjy4konji: 5:45am On Sep 01, 2019
abeg too early for this
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Nobody: 5:59am On Sep 01, 2019
Enugu State Nairaland media team una well done

17 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Bestie93(m): 6:08am On Sep 01, 2019
mrNEMZY:

Does writing articles in a quite difficult to comprehend manner manner make it seem more intelligent?
You can write in a plane words, intrigue your audience and pass the information across.

Nonsense

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi is not lazy please. He is proactive; bearing in mind that it's not like before that we have pdp government at the federal level. For the present security challenges in my state I personally blame the apc thugs as well as some big elephants in the Western senatorial zone that are eying the lion building by 2023 by all means.

2 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by VillagePipu: 6:11am On Sep 01, 2019
This one is marketing a bad product.

2 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by VillagePipu: 6:13am On Sep 01, 2019
Bestie93:

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi is not lazy please. He is proactive; bearing in mind that it's not like before that we have pdp government at the federal level. For the present security challenges in my state I personally blame the apc thugs as well as some big elephants in the Western senatorial zone that are eying the lion building by 2023 by all means.

You blame APC thugs but is Ugwuanyi handicapped or castrated that he can't quench their madness?

Ugwuanyi is mentally lazy and unproductive. All his aides do is give excuses for his incompetence.

By the way, what has he achieved in Enugu state? How many projects has he completed? See what Umahi is doing in Ebonyi, what is that effeminate crybaby doing in Enugu?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by mejai(m): 6:15am On Sep 01, 2019
Ugwuanyi Na hausa man
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by SLAP44: 6:43am On Sep 01, 2019
Arrant nonsense.

Trying to exonerate the Fulanis.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 01, 2019
VillagePipu:

You blame APC thugs but is Ugwuanyi handicapped or castrated that he can't quench their madness?

Ugwuanyi is mentally lazy and unproductive. All his aides do is give excuses for his incompetence.

By the way, what has he achieved in Enugu state? How many projects has he completed? See what Umahi is doing in Ebonyi, what is that effeminate crybaby doing in Enugu?

Does governor ugwuanyi have any police or soldier or paramilitary personnel under his command to quench their madness?
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by mrNEMZY(m): 6:50am On Sep 01, 2019
Bestie93:

Gov Dave Umahi is not an APC governor. Federal might doesn't deter him from doing his duties.
He changed Ebonyi even under APC.

Let's stop blaming other people and hold our leaders accountable

6 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Mabege(f): 6:59am On Sep 01, 2019
*yawns*
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Racoon(m): 6:59am On Sep 01, 2019
Oh my 042.Enugu rocked wella but the present crop of leaders are not living to example

4 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by unclefresh(m): 7:06am On Sep 01, 2019
Lol this incompetent people always looking for who to blame , I guess its APC that have made him not to name his commissioners after months of been sworn in ? I guess its APC that is putting all the pot holes and bad roads in Enugu state , the cultism in school na APC , insecurity APC , maybe is APC that is making your governor turn to a foodie even a 7yrs old child knows the governor as food occasion man, I wonder what he will come and say he did in 100 days ,listen Mr op ugwuanyi is a failure as far as Enugu state is concern, he took the state 1000 backwards , Enugu is a joke where ebonyi state is now , tell him that his nonsense Enugu state is in the hands of God scam doesn't work again , and stop licking ass

8 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 01, 2019
Enugu is however an unusual state and her political and social history still remain that of an over-pampered being!

For been over pampered I agree. If not while will for any small issue ohanaeze and Enugu state governor through their puppet in Ebonyi will drag everybody to a meeting.

Reading the communique yesterday every single thing revolves around Enugu and they have a sitting governor.

Over pampered indeed.
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 01, 2019
All this long article is to tell us that Ekweremadu wants to be Governor instead of the Enugu Assembly speaker whom Ugwuanyi prefers and whose zone it's its turn to be governor.

Time for Ekweremadu to get beating from home too.
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by bennynaza(m): 7:16am On Sep 01, 2019
Sometimes you got to take the risk of slapping yourself to get rid of the malaria inducing mosquito
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Krisbikevisuals: 7:19am On Sep 01, 2019
Hey Fellow Nairalanders kindly help me build my photography page on Instagram by following me at krisbike.visuals
I will follow back immediately ✌️

1 Like

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by dignity33: 7:27am On Sep 01, 2019
I HAVE ALWAYS KNOW THAT THE CURRENT SECURITY CHALLENGE ENUGU STATE ARE FACING TODAY HAVE TO DO WITH ISSUE OF POLITICS, APC ARE TRYING EVERYTHING TO PORTRAY UGWUNYI AS A BAD GOVERNOR BY EMPLOYING BANDITRIES TO DESTROY THE PEACE ENUGU HAVE BEEN ENJOYING FOR THEIR POLITICAL AND SELFISH GAIN. THE SAME WAY THEY CALLED GOODLUCK A WEAK LEADER IS THE SAME WAY THEY ARE NOW CALLING UGWUNYI BUT UGWUNYI IS ONE OF THE BEST DEMOCRATIC ACCEPTED GOVERNOR IN NIGERIA TODAY BY HIS PEOPLE, HE IS LOVED AND HE IS DOING WONDERFUL WELL TOO.

2 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by anambraamaka: 7:46am On Sep 01, 2019
The thing too long oga
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Somalino: 7:49am On Sep 01, 2019
mrNEMZY:

Nonsense

says someone who is intellectually lazy to comprehend.
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by pacino26(m): 7:53am On Sep 01, 2019
Awol1:
All this long article is to tell us that Ekweremadu wants to be Governor instead of the Enugu Assembly speaker whom Ugwuanyi prefers and whose zone it's its turn to be governor.

Time for Ekweremadu to get beating from home too.

Guy you funny o.

The politicians of the state knows too well and will not see their ambition claim lives of innocent souls. Besides the citizens are too enlighten to fall for such.

My war with the governor is in his inability to make something out of the little being given him. During his first tenure it is from one solidarity event to the other with the accompanying 600meters road awards. I expected him consolidating and doing better. His predecessors left a big sized shoe of success. He couldn't fit in, that to me is the problem and not security.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by BrainSanitizer: 8:08am On Sep 01, 2019
Summary please. I'm waiting.
Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by sauceEEP(m): 8:18am On Sep 01, 2019
Ugwuanyi is the worst governor Enugu has ever produced. No new development, security has taken a downward spiral. Sullivan empowered all the security outfits in Enugu but this useless governor has done nothing to empower them. No patrol vehicles infact no motivation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 01, 2019
grin grin grin
This teletubby again
Have to hand it to him though,knowing that he has nothing to offer he employs various hacks both online and offline to promote his agenda
Smh

2 Likes

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Ikja: 8:42am On Sep 01, 2019
The Enugu Governor is working so well for the betterment of his people May God strengthen him more. ENUGU people should stop blaming Gov. Ugwuanyi for the security issues. like this article the commissioner of NPF is not answerable to the state Governor but to the federal body. ENUGU will be secured ones more. Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City by Stingman: 8:46am On Sep 01, 2019
BrainSanitizer:
Summary please. I'm waiting.

The writer is trying to tell you that the Enugu the pampered city wants to be left as it is...a place for relaxation and a city where you live and have peace of mind...and not a city to be involved with insecurity...

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dan Orbih: Edo Is Not Oshiomhole’s Property / Kayode Fayemi Takes The COVID-19 Vaccine / Private Jet-Owners To Pay Luxury Tax

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.