Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,954 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:32 PM

Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ (1490 Views)

Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets / CAN Rejects Benny Hinn Prophecy About Nigeria / Benny Hinn 'Faints' As A Nigerian Sows $1 Million Into His Ministry (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by BuhariBuster: 9:37pm On Sep 05, 2019
Declaring that the “Holy Ghost is just fed up with it,” controversial televangelist Benny Hinn, formerly one of the most aggressive proponents of the prosperity gospel, has for the first time in his career, delivered a full-throated rejection of the practice that made him and his family millions.

The prosperity gospel teaches, among other things, that believers have a right to the blessings of health and wealth, and they can obtain these blessings through positive confessions of faith and the "sowing of seeds" through the faithful payments of tithes and offerings.

Speaking to his followers during a Facebook Live broadcast on Monday night (which was first highlighted by Larry Reid Live), Hinn, who has long been a lightning rod for criticism for his support of the theology, declared the Gospel “is not for sale.”

“I’m sorry to say that prosperity has gone a little crazy and I’m correcting my own theology and you need to all know it. Because when I read the Bible now, I don’t see the Bible in the same eyes I saw 20 years ago,” Hinn said as his followers rejoiced.

“I think it’s an offense to the Lord, it’s an offense to say give $1,000. I think it’s an offense to the Holy Spirit to place a price on the Gospel. I’m done with it. I will never again ask you to give $1,000 or whatever amount, because I think the Holy Ghost is just fed up with it.

“Did you hear me?” Hinn asked as his audience responded affirmatively in high spirits.

“I think it hurts the Gospel, so I’m making this statement for the first time in my life and frankly, I don’t care what people think about me anymore,” he continued.

“When they invite me to telethons I think they will not like me anymore. Because when you look at the word of God … if I hear one more time, break the back of debt with $1,000, I’m gonna rebuke them. I think that’s buying the Gospel. That’s buying the blessing. That’s grieving the Holy Spirit. … If you are not giving because you love Jesus, don’t bother giving,” Hinn argued. “I think giving has become such a gimmick; it’s making me sick to my stomach.”

Hinn’s outright rejection of the prosperity gospel comes just two months after his nephew, Costi Hinn, revealed in his new book, God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel: How Truth Overwhelms a Life Built on Lies, how his family exploited millions around the world with the prosperity gospel and often traded so-called miracles for money.

“Giving to God was the secret to unlocking your dreams," Costi Hinn wrote. "It was the secret to job promotions. It was access to our divine bank account. My uncle often told the story of how he got out of debt using this system of belief. His father-in-law had told him that in order to be debt free, he needed to pay God. Benny explained that once he started emptying his bank account and giving money away to ministry, money started showing up from everywhere!”

In 2018, Hinn admitted that as he has grown older and come to understand the Bible more, he realized that some of the things he learned from preachers when he was growing up aren't biblical, including the prosperity gospel.

"The more you know the Bible the more you become biblically based and more balanced in your opinions and your thoughts, because we are influenced," Hinn said. "When I was younger, I was influenced by the preachers who taught whatever they taught. But as I've lived longer I'm thinking, wait a minute, you know this doesn't fit totally with the Bible and it doesn't fit with the reality. So what is prosperity? No lack. I've said this before," Hinn said.

He then elaborated on how he believes "no lack" should be interpreted.

"Did Elijah the prophet have a car? No. Did not even have a bicycle. He had no lack. ... Did Jesus drive a car or live in a mansion? No. He had no lack. How about the Apostles? None lacked among them," Hinn said. "Today, the idea is abundance and palatial homes and cars and bank accounts. The focus is wrong ... It's so wrong."

He said even though he has been accused of living lavishly and flying private jets in the past, that is not how he currently lives.

"I mean, forgive me. People have accused me of things that aren't even real. One guy wrote a comment, 'Oh, he's worth $40 million.' Oh how I wish. I would give it all to the Kingdom before God Almighty," he said.

"'Well he flies private jets,'" he continued, mimicking criticism. "No, I don't. I have not flown private in, dear God, years. I fly commercial just like anyone else...”

https://www.myjoyonline.com/news/2019/September-5th/benny-hinn-renounces-prosperity-gospel-says-holy-ghost-is-just-fed-up-with-it.php

2 Likes

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by BuhariBuster: 9:38pm On Sep 05, 2019
Glad he just got born again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by Lagbaja01(m): 9:47pm On Sep 05, 2019
I remember when someone made a pledge of 1million dollars on one of their live program with Pastor Chris, the man fainted..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by Emvico34: 10:02pm On Sep 05, 2019
undecided undecided lagbaja nothing for you
, you are a big liar . talking to the guy above me
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by budaatum: 10:03pm On Sep 05, 2019
Hinn’s outright rejection of the prosperity gospel comes just two months after his nephew, Costi Hinn, revealed in his new book, God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel: How Truth Overwhelms a Life Built on Lies, how his family exploited millions around the world with the prosperity gospel and often traded so-called miracles for money..

“I’m sorry to say that prosperity has gone a little crazy and I’m correcting my own theology and you need to all know it. Because when I read the Bible now, I don’t see the Bible in the same eyes I saw 20 years ago,” Hinn said as his followers rejoiced.
Exposed, more like!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by Lamasta(m): 10:07pm On Sep 05, 2019
Jesus said FREELY YE HAVE RECEIVED FREELY GIVE but some ministers of the word has turn it to trade by barter such that sow so so amount and God will multiply you whereas God said it outrightly in Gen 1 be fruitful and multiply

2 Likes

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by LearnITsmash(m): 10:08pm On Sep 05, 2019
Finally daddy freeze massage is spreading worldwide, and you can trust more loyal dingbats to still come here and defend their slave masters called pastors who Rob them in Broad daylight, aturus everywhere undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by GavelSlam: 10:14pm On Sep 05, 2019
E don chop him own mislead everyone come add Holy spirit to him lies.

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by StrikeBack(m): 10:28pm On Sep 05, 2019
I don't have any business with Benny Hinn

Out of over 200 countries in this world, 7 of the Top Ten Richest pastor in the world are from a Third world country Nigeria.

I need a good explanation.
Hahn, HopefulLanlord, CAPSLOCKED,1sharon,jesusjnr,Anas09, Frosbel2,Lordreed,atewo400,RiyadhGoddess,niflehim,
Budaatum oladeegbu,Codetempler, Zoharariel,Shibaraba.

Please I'm begging and waiting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:35pm On Sep 05, 2019
BuhariBuster:

The prosperity gospel teaches, among other things, that believers have a right to the blessings of health and wealth, and they can obtain these blessings through positive confessions of faith and the "sowing of seeds" through the faithful payments of tithes and offerings.

https://www.myjoyonline.com/news/2019/September-5th/benny-hinn-renounces-prosperity-gospel-says-holy-ghost-is-just-fed-up-with-it.php

Lies from the pit of hell. Who told you that the "prosperity gospel" means 'faithful payments of tithes and offerings'? undecided
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by obiekunie2: 11:09pm On Sep 05, 2019
BuhariBuster:
Glad he just got born again.

the problem with false information is not in spreading it - but in recalling it.

False information is like emptying a bag of dry feathers in the wind; a very easy thing to do - but go picking back the feathers after the wind has scattered it; that is when you will realize its an impossible task.

Benny Hinn contributed immensely in bastardizing the gospel of Christ, he contributed a lot in making the gospel a commodity - 'bring money and buy your miracle' and now he is almost on the verge of approaching his maker, he wants to make amends - how possible is that?

How about starting his repentance by revisiting the churches of his godsons like RCCG, Living faith, Christ embassy and lots of them prosperity pastors whom he mentored and start by speaking from their false pulpits and tell the sheeples to wake up from their hypnotism - tell them that prosperity gospel is from the devil and not from Christ.

oh and Sir i hope u r are aware that many people have been led astray in their quest to hit it big [either the right way or the wrong way it doesn't matter] bc their pastor told them that salvation is all about being wealthy.

Sir your prosperity gospel and that of your apostles is the reason why we have loads of crime in our society today because your preaching made the youths to throw away morals and seek wealth by any means possible!

I HOPE GOD FORGIVES YOU AND YOUR APOSTLES - I CALL THEM THE TRUE ANTI-CHRISTS.

Matthew 24:11
and many false prophets will arise and mislead many.
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 05, 2019
Do pastors still exist?
They've gone into extinction . Na their fossils we dey see . Tales of pastors be like tales by moonlight. Na stories we go dey tell our kids. Don't get me wrong I love Jesus daadaa. I be confirm Cele boy. But I no remember when last I enter church. Because all I dey see na so so lies. Thick ones.

They grow richer because they've conditioned their sheeples to believe so many bullshits. For I wonder how professor go believe say apron abi na bib be bulletproof. Anyway me no dey judge again. I go fast and pray for house. And he dey always hear. For he say when two or three are gathered. And at home I be three. My body, soul and spirit . And if I gbe my soul forget am for club, my body and spirit will suffice. Rest assured though, Jesus is lord.
StrikeBack:

Out of over 200 countries in this world, 7 of the Top Ten Richest pastor in the world are from a Third world country Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by OkCornel(m): 11:35pm On Sep 05, 2019
The fraud is coming to an end gradually.

Next up, will be those fraudsters staging miracles to deceive many gullibles.

Interesting days ahead.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by Nobody: 4:34am On Sep 06, 2019
Better late than never, but what I can't seem to understand is why it took him so long to realize this clear error?

Imagine how many have been deceived by it all these while.

I hope it doesn't take this other one that long or even longer to realize he is on the wrong path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCvF1m9fSo

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by gracein: 6:45am On Sep 06, 2019
thank God he has realized his errors and genuinely repented. I've never been a fan of Prosperity gospel. Serving God is not playing Nairabet where you pay some amount of money to get favour from God.
The gospel says, "Freely you have received, freely give." Simon the sorcerer tried buying the gospel but he was rebuked.

Ask the average Nigerian why s/he goes to church or serves God and you will hear ridiculous replies like, "So that he can bless me" and that's why they get frustrated when things are not rosy-rosy.

If as a pastor, you need to raise money for a program, just talk to the members about it. No need deceiving them to come and sow so that they can reap. YOU CANT BUY THE FAVOUR OF GOD.
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by judedwriter(m): 6:57am On Sep 06, 2019
Too late! Many have been fatally deceived by this false teaching that treats the church and pastors as business centres and business men.

It will take a lot of time perhaps decades to undo the damage the prosperity gospel has done to the church.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by hoopLA: 7:02am On Sep 06, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Lies from the pit of hell. Who told you that the "prosperity gospel" means 'faithful payments of tithes and offerings'? undecided

When will your inherent stewpidity ever leave you?

So the promise of tithing (earthly riches and prosperity) suddenly has vanished into thin air, and tithes and offerings are now taken into isolation?

Oga, just keep quiet, while people are gradually coming to their senses.

The brainwash trip is slowly coming to its end. People are waking up.

Benny Hinn has been at the forefront of this warped gospel where there is emphasis on financial investment. Now our own pastors have taken it too far.

Instead of you to shut your trap, you come here, trying to extricate those mammon driven frauds from the malaise they have plunged Christianity into.

You are a fraud.

1 Like

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by LordReed(m): 7:19am On Sep 06, 2019
StrikeBack:

Hahn, HopefulLanlord, CAPSLOCKED,1sharon,jesusjnr,Anas09, Frosbel2,Lordreed,atewo400,RiyadhGoddess,niflehim,
Budaatum oladeegbu,Codetempler, Zoharariel,Shibaraba.

What can I say? In a country like ours, hope sells. Whether it comes from politicians or pastors, it sells like hot bread and akara.
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by gracein: 7:34am On Sep 06, 2019
Please does anyone have the link to freely download Costi Hinns book that contributed to changing the mindset of Benny Hinn: God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel: How Truth Overwhelms a Life Built on Lies.
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:55am On Sep 06, 2019
hoopLA:

So the promise of tithing (earthly riches and prosperity) suddenly has vanished into thin air, and tithes and offerings are now taken into isolation?

Benny Hinn has been at the forefront of this warped gospel where there is emphasis on financial investment. Now our own pastors have taken it too far.

Instead of you to shut your trap, you come here, trying to extricate those mammon driven frauds from the malaise they have plunged Christianity into.

You are a fraud.

You must be born again. smiley
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by Emusan(m): 8:56am On Sep 06, 2019
hoopLA:

You are a fraud.

You didn't get his message but you start to him different names.

Where in the article Hinn stated that Tithe and Offering are part of prosperity teaching? But the blogger had to add that to color his article.

Whereas when reading Hinn statement, one can deduce that it's all about "SOWING SEEDS"

1 Like

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:30am On Sep 06, 2019
Emusan:

You didn't get his message but you start to him different names.

Where in the article Hinn stated that Tithe and Offering are part of prosperity teaching? But the blogger had to add that to color his article.

Whereas when reading Hinn statement, one can deduce that it's all about "SOWING SEEDS"

God bless you my brother. Don't mind all these scorners, they would rather be pleased that churches are not funded but will not hesitate to donate their money to other secular and sport outlets. undecided

1 Like

Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 07, 2019
grin
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by TheDigitalEvang: 10:40pm On Jul 18, 2021
Benny Hinn is a televangelist, best known for his regular “Miracle Crusades”—revival meeting of faith healing summits that are usually held in stadiums in major cities, which are later broadcast worldwide on his television program, This Is Your Day.

People around the globe know Pastor Benny Hinn as a noted evangelist, teacher, and the author of best-selling books including Good Morning, Holy Spirit, Prayer That Gets Results, Blood in the Sand, and Lamb of God. His TV program, This Is Your Day, is among the world’s most-watched Christian programs, seen daily in 200 countries.

Beginnings

Benny Hinn was born on December 3, 1952, in the port city of Jaffa (part of modern Tel Aviv), Israel, where his family had set up residence as immigrants to Palestine from Greece. He was raised within the Eastern Orthodox tradition.

In 1968, not long after the Six-Day War, he moved with his family to Canada. In February 1972 Benny Hinn’s life took on an entirely new meaning when he surrendered his heart and life to Jesus Christ as high school friends prayed with him. Soon afterward, he was called to minister the Gospel.

As a teenager in Toronto, Hinn converted from Greek Orthodoxy to Pentecostalism, eventually joining a singing troupe made up of young evangelicals. According to a 2004 CBC report on Hinn, his newfound religious devotion during this period became so intense that his family became concerned that he was turning into a religious fanatic. Hinn was taught the Bible and mentored by Dr. Winston I. Nunes of Broadview Faith Temple in Toronto.

I Am Done With Prosperity Preaching, It Is A Trick- Benny Hinn Says

He has written that on 21 December 1973, he traveled by charter bus from Toronto to Pittsburgh to attend a “miracle service” conducted by evangelist Kathryn Kuhlman. Although he never met her personally, he often attended her “healing services” and has often cited her as an influence in his life.
Re: Benny Hinn Renounces Prosperity Gospel, Says ‘holy Ghost Is Just Fed Up With It’ by xproducer: 11:11pm On Jul 18, 2021
GOD is the Judge and the Justifier of men!

"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence." - 1 Timothy 3:2-4

Qualifications of Deacons
"Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money..." - 1 Timothy 3:8

"For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled," - Titus 1:6-8

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus Prophecy/prediction. / Is White Wedding Biblical? / Where is Father X-mas ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.