Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,318 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible (1012 Views)

Lagos State Government Must Stop Wave Of Devastating Forced Evictions Amnestypic / Amnesty International Accuses Lagos Of Forceful Evictions With Demolition Of 300 / Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by EzeUche0(m): 7:28pm On Oct 28, 2010
Nigeria rapped for mass evictions
By Caroline Duffield
BBC News, Lagos

The rights group Amnesty International has criticised Nigeria's government over mass evictions in the oil-rich Niger Delta.

Plans for urban development and slum demolition have been a violently contested issue in Port Harcourt.

Amnesty is warning that continued development may leave as many as 200,000 people homeless.

Sprawling and chaotic, the city of Port Harcourt is Nigeria's oil capital in the Niger Delta.

ts shanty towns and slums are home to tens of thousands of people all scraping a living in a city pumping billions of dollars worth of oil.

Live rounds
In 2009, the Rivers State government began plans to rebuild parts of the city.

They are demolishing slums on the waterfront as part of the "Greater Port Harcourt master plan".

Forced evictions regularly spark demonstrations there and police have even fired live rounds at protesters. Several civilians have been killed.

The local government hopes to develop the area to create jobs, stimulate the local economy and build better roads - all of it urgently needed.

They hope to build an eight-screen cinema, a shopping mall and hotels.

They are following a buy-out scheme, paying those who own the properties to move.

But most of the residents on the waterfront are poor tenants who get no compensation and have nowhere to go.

Many of them now sleep outdoors under bridges and in the streets.

Amnesty is now warning that as many as 200,000 people could end up homeless if alternative housing is not found for them.

"These planned demolitions are likely to plunge hundreds of thousands of Nigeria's most vulnerable citizens further into poverty," said the group's Africa deputy programme director, Tawanda Hondora.

"The government should halt the waterfront evictions until they ensure they comply with international human rights standards."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11642453
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by EzeUche0(m): 7:29pm On Oct 28, 2010
I have no problem with this. Port Harcourt needs to be changed, so we can compete with Lagos.
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by seanet02: 7:34pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

I have no problem with this. Port Harcourt needs to be changed, so we can compete with Lagos.
ESTABLISHED!!!!! PORT HARCOURT CAN NOT COMPETE WITH LAGOS !!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 28, 2010
seanet02:

Lagos cannot compete with Ekiti. Gba be!
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by seanet02: 7:39pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Lagos cannot compete with Ekiti. Gba be!
EKITI KETE!!! AFTER ONI HELD YOU TO RANSOM FOR ALMOST FOUR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS NOT YOUR FAULT, ITS JUSTICE AYO SALAMI THAT CAUSE THIS DAMM EGOCENTRIC POST
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by EzeUche0(m): 7:41pm On Oct 28, 2010
seanet02:

With the oil revenue flowing into Port Harcourt. We will see about that. After we deal with those militants, the city will definitely surpass Lagos. It will not be a sprawling slum.

Enugu already looks better than Lagos. So does Abuja.
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by seanet02: 7:43pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

With the oil revenue flowing into Port Harcourt. We will see about that. After we deal with those militants, the city will definitely surpass Lagos. It will not be a sprawling slum.

Enugu already looks better than Lagos. So does Abuja.
boy you will be a good comedian
grin grin grin grin
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 28, 2010
seanet02:

EKITI KETE!!! AFTER ONI HELD YOU TO RANSOM FOR ALMOST FOUR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS NOT YOUR FAULT, ITS JUSTICE AYO SALAMI THAT CAUSE THIS DAMM EGOCENTRIC POST
What have you said, Nitori olorun, that you couldnt have written in lower case. lol
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by seanet02: 7:46pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

What have you said, Nitori olorun, that you couldnt have written in lower case. lol
That its not your fault!!!
Justice Ayo whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 28, 2010
I don't get it.

Why don't you guys want other states to compete with Lagos? Isn't it a good thing? Lagos is too congested, we need more state to compete with lagos, good for this God-forsaken nation's economy.

I bet you once Port-Harcourt starts like Lagos ppl will start moving there, start their own business, until PHC turns to another Lagos. Then another state will develop, then another. It wont  always be Lagos abeg.
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by EzeUche0(m): 7:51pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I don't get it.

Why don't you guys want other states to compete with Lagos? Isn't it a good thing? Lagos is too congested, we need more state to compete with lagos, good for this God-forsaken nation's economy.

I bet you once Port-Harcourt starts like Lagos ppl will start moving there, start their own business, until PHC turns to another Lagos. Then another state will develop, then another. It wont  always be Lagos abeg.

God forbid Port Harcourt turns into Lagos! angry

The cities that I see growing will be Lagos, Enugu, Warri, Port Harcourt & Kano.
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

God forbid Port Harcourt turns into Lagos! angry

The cities that I see growing will be Lagos, Enugu, Warri, Port Harcourt & Kano.

What is in Kano? undecided

I doubt ppl would want to go up north again.

God forbid what? When you have large mass of ppl in one area, it's bound to. . . .
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by seanet02: 7:56pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

God forbid what? When you have large mass of ppl in one area, it's bound to. . . .
Have you forgotten ezeuche is a village boy?
he understand ALL BUT NONE OF THE ABOVE
grin grin grin
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by EzeUche0(m): 7:57pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Kano is actually the economic powerhouse in Northern Nigeria. You should visit the Kano Market.

People continue to go up north, because of business. People will do anything in the pursuit of money.

And I am pretty sure the Rivers State gov't will be heavy handed when dealing with these slums.
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by EzeUche0(m): 7:59pm On Oct 28, 2010
seanet02:

Have you forgotten ezeuche is a village boy?
he understand ALL BUT NONE OF THE ABOVE
grin grin grin

You are an annoying little cockroach.
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

ROTFL grin grin grin

Reminds me of the quote "Akin-Egba keeps dragging his cockroach head in the mud" grin grin
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

Kano is actually the economic powerhouse in Northern Nigeria. You should visit the Kano Market.

People continue to go up north, because of business. People will do anything in the pursuit of money.

And I am pretty sure the Rivers State gov't will be heavy handed when dealing with these slums.
Have you been to Kano or do you just listen to what is being written on NL lol.

What does Kano produce, what does it have? What is there? How can it compete with the likes of Lagos and Enugu?

Never been there tho.
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by seanet02: 8:04pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFL grin grin grin

Reminds me of the quote "Akin-Egba keeps dragging his cockroach head in the mud" grin grin
shocked shocked shocked shocked
EzeUche0:

Then use your leg to crush the cockroach
grin grin grin grin
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by EzeUche0(m): 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Have you been to Kano or do you just listen to what is being written on NL lol.

What does Kano produce, what does it have? What is there? How can it compete with the likes of Lagos and Enugu?

Never been there tho.

I am going to let that insult slide. Yes, I have been to Kano on two occasions to visit family who do business in the north.

Get the foolish notion that the North is a barren land. It is not. Kano has a large textile industry. And there is plenty of cattle in that region as well. Do not underestimate this northern city. Many people from the south flock to that city.
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by seanet02: 8:13pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

I am going to let that insult slide. Yes, I have been to Kano on two occasions to visit family who do business in the north.

Get the foolish notion that the North is a barren land. It is not. Kano has a large textile industry. And there is plenty of cattle in that region as well. Do not underestimate this northern city. Many people from the south flock to that city.

http://nigerianstalk.org/2010/06/28/fixing-the-giant-can-nigerias-textile-industry-regain-lost-glory/
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 28, 2010
EzeUche0:

Where did you get get the foolish assumption that I see Kano as a barren land?
I simply asked what Kano has that is competitive with the likes of Lagos and Enugu.

Textile industry? lol yeaahh
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by seanet02: 8:16pm On Oct 28, 2010
Textile industry ko, textile industry ni
a dead industryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by jason12345: 8:19pm On Oct 28, 2010
i support this notion.

we need competition in nigeria so the government can even do better than what they are doing. but its going to be difficult but for other states because lagos is self sufficient (business-wise). but yes i support it, so the whole nigeria can improve economically. everything cannot be squeezed into lagos alone. i just hope the nigerian government will not frustrate this development
Re: Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible by martyns303(m): 9:25pm On Oct 28, 2010
Did this organization walked the streets of port harcourt to get their data or they just sat in an office and made analysis? How many citizens of port harcourt have been rendered homeless? The govt. Compensate owners of demolished homes, some people even fabricate documents to collect money. Now am not saying ''some'' ain't being displaced but for the purpose of achievement certain sacrifice has to be made.

(1) (Reply)

Kwara: Mr Saraki Out, Ms Saraki In? / When Will Nuhu Ribadu Shed More Light On This Claim By S R ? ? ? / Presidential Task Team On Education Call For Memoranda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.