Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m (6388 Views)

BIU Student Threatens Tab-Thief With Madness (Snapshot) / First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. / Kwara Poly Student Protest Over Killing Of Colleague (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by danidon: 6:54am On Oct 30, 2010
You see Nigerians, you collected money that does not belong to you and the same you after admitting that the money was not yours is talking of sueing the bank. well , i do not even know what so many Nigerians think of banking. If it were to be outside, they would have linched you and you will not even see road to a lawyers place.

nonsense
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by philip0906(m): 8:10am On Oct 30, 2010
This whole episode is now turning in2 some nollywood script. . .Both d young lad and d bank,get Issues
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by ayobams(m): 8:30am On Oct 30, 2010
I think the situation has gotten out of hand. Move on dude. God sees you if you are good. As for the case,lets see where it ends
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Tunsbobo(m): 9:41am On Oct 30, 2010
This is totally absurd, First Bank is a useless bank. Imagine crediting someone's saving account with about $6,000,000 (N9.3bn) just like that. If i were the Cbn governor, i would suspend operations at the bank indefinitely and if i was that guy, i would sue the bank for N3bn; N250m is too small. For all those people calling him a thief, and for all those saying he shouldn't press charges;i put it to u guys that u are all FOOLS & MORONS; if u don't have any reasonable thing to say why not just ignore this thread. Infact, i'm so vexed right now!
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Tunsbobo(m): 9:43am On Oct 30, 2010
This is totally absurd, First Bank is a useless bank. Imagine crediting someone's saving account with about $6,000,000 (N9.3bn) just like that. If i were the Cbn governor, i would suspend operations at the bank indefinitely and if i was that guy, i would sue the bank for N3bn; N250m is too small. For all those people calling him a thief, and for all those saying he shouldn't press charges;i put it to u guys that u are all FOOLS & MORONS; if u don't have any reasonable thing to say why not just ignore this thread. Infact, i'm so vexed right now!
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by successman: 1:21pm On Oct 30, 2010
Those outside banking may find it hard to believe that genuine mistakes could happen in transactions like this. In fact, it is not really a 'strange' thing as it happens in so many banks where account numbers (mostly up to 13 digits) are wrongly posted as amount by Tellers. This can be human, you know. And of course, such mistakes MUST be detected same day as the Teller's accounts must balance on daily basis. Simple accounting rule states that a credit into an account must have corresponding debit into another.

Moreover, it is certainly NOT possible for the Poly guy to have withdrawn the said sum through any channel. This is because each channel (like ATM, POS, Internet Banking, etc) has transaction limits. We are talking of N9.3bn and not N1m of N100k here!! That sum cannot just disappear from a bank in such conventional manner.

In a nutshell, a guy who had N3k in his account and suddenly saw N9.3bn as his balance, if truly honest and God-fearing, SHOULDN'T have made any 'test' withdrawal. He should have simply gone back to the bank the following to report the abnormal balance. To my mind, I thought the guy went there the following morning for more withdrawals NOT for the purpose of reporting. Otherwise, he wouldn't have called for his account statement (as reported). This is reaping where you did not sow and we are not talking of 'national cake' here.

I really saw nothing to celebrate here in the student's actions as he could have done VERY little with that amount of money, even if the error was not detected on that day. People who cannot think deep have been passing comments that he should have run away with the money. How?

It is then very funny that he's instituting a legal action against the Bank, which incidentally happen to be my former employers. That will tantamount to a wild goose chase and I am very sure he and his 'legal' team will regret ever embarking on such impossible mission. Whoever knows him should warn him to better face his study and pray for a good job after graduation. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Intrepid1(m): 2:03pm On Oct 30, 2010
let me break it down to you like a simpleton. hopefully everybody understands what went down here

Son, feel free to insult anyone else on this thread but don't Bleep with me. Be careful!
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by buzugee(m): 7:31pm On Oct 30, 2010
Intrepid!:

Son, feel free to insult anyone else on this thread but don't bleep with me. Be careful!
wachugondo  angry angry angry
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Tunsbobo(m): 11:12pm On Oct 30, 2010
Mr successman, u don't understand my point. I'm not saying errors like that don't occassionaly occur in banking, infact i'm not so concerned about the error. All i'm saying is that, how would a single account be supposedly credited with N9.3bn, how did the money appear in the first place, and which account was supposed to be credited in the first place! I'm sure the account is owned by a politician, and the worst thing is that first bank gave no reasonable explanation about this incident or who actually owns the money, instead they are calling the honest poly student who exposed their shady dealings a thief! That is totally uncalled for!
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Tunsbobo(m): 11:12pm On Oct 30, 2010
Mr successman, u don't understand my point. I'm not saying errors like that don't occassionaly occur in banking, infact i'm not so concerned about the error. All i'm saying is that, how would a single account be supposedly credited with N9.3bn, how did the money appear in the first place, and which account was supposed to be credited in the first place! I'm sure the account is owned by a politician, and the worst thing is that first bank gave no reasonable explanation about this incident or who actually owns the money, instead they are calling the honest poly student who exposed their shady dealings a thief! That is totally uncalled for!
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by inneedofad: 2:25am On Oct 31, 2010
I read about such things happening abroad some times. when you see such money its best to leave it and contact the bank first. withdrawing money you know you don't have may equal stealing even if done with the best intention. Don't go testing if ATM will spit out money for you if tin foil is inserted and then report your findings to the bank but rather report to the bank first what you think may happen if tin foil is inserted and then, to prove your case, you do it in the presence of a bank official with his permission.
What I will like to know is, did he first thing  the next morning return the money and report to the bank or did he try to "prove" his case by withdrawing money again only to find his account debited and then he started complaining. As at the time he went to the bank was he with the withdrawn 20k or  did he go borrowing after the bank complained?
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Intrepid1(m): 8:31am On Oct 31, 2010
wachugondo Angry Angry Angry

You have been warned.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by hamson4u: 10:53am On Oct 31, 2010
Honestly this issue has garnered much hype than expected. Well in the end the Truth shall prevail. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 31, 2010
the Durojaiye guy na thief!

simple
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by buzugee(m): 3:26pm On Oct 31, 2010
Intrepid!:

You have been warned.
internet tough guy  grin grin grin
post ya address to me so i can come over and we can scrap. lets see the last man standing angry
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Msgrt: 7:32pm On Oct 31, 2010
What do you thnk is a federal government bank umh! Ole! P
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by hamson4u: 9:19pm On Oct 31, 2010
MrPrsdent:

the Durojaiye guy na thief!

simple
What if proven otherwise?
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Intrepid1(m): 11:50pm On Oct 31, 2010
internet tough guy Grin Grin Grin
post ya address to me so i can come over and we can scrap. lets see the last man standing Angry

I don talk my own sha.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by successman: 9:31am On Nov 01, 2010
Tunsbobo:

Some bank account numbers have up to 13 digits.  If such is erroneously posted as amount, that is in billions.  And as an insider, genuine transaction postings in billions,  are not  uncommon, though may not be  frequently  on daily basis.  The transaction needs not involve 'politicians' rocking shady deals.  And as for  the Poly guy, I can say he's honest only if he did not touch the wrong balance in his account in the first place.   Those celebrating him as a saint  and 'rewarding' him  appear not to understand that he could do VERY little on that money due to transaction restrictions.  He could have just reported the error without the spoiler N20,000,00  'test' withdrawal.  I would then probably have joined those praising him for reporting (and not returning--as people are making it to look) the bank's error.  As I said previously, this is not really new in banking transactions.  It happens from time to time.   

A few years ago, a policeman actually returned boxes of naira notes (running into several millions) that were recovered from a scene of gun-fire exchange between armed robbers and some security men attached to bullion van belonging to a bank.  That was widely reported and deservingly, the officer was handsomely rewarded  by the bank and also got double promotion.  That is totally different from this Durojaiye's case.

Let's rather encourage him to face his study and try hard to come out in flying colours.  All the thought of raking N250m from the bank is just a sheer waste of time and at the end he and his lawyers-cohorts will look like fools.  You cannot reap where you did not sow.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by folem: 10:16am On Nov 01, 2010
buzugee:

1, the guy found this huge amount in his account

2, he withdraws 20,000 of that money (never mind he had 3000 in his account)

3, i will assume he is not a strong minded criminal because what a strong minded criminal would have done after withdrawing 20,000 and seeing that this money is for real. a strong criminal will walk into the bank and try to cash it all out. this mr durojaiye is a tentative criminal. 'trepidation' is his personality

4, the next day mr durojaiye goes to try to withdraw another large sum of money but unfortunately for him, the compluter has discovered the glitch and re-appropriated the money according, leaving mr durojaiyes account with minus 17,000 naira. this is another place where i know mr durojaiye is not a hardened crook because he panics. now me myself ? what i would have done in a situation like that will be to keep the money i have already withdrawn, ditch the account and go and open a new account with another bank. nigerian citizenry is not computerized so nobody will ever find him. but mr durojaiye panics and decides that if i go to the bank and try to explain to them that i saw this huge amount in my account, i think you have made a mistake bla bla bla, they would not come and arrest him. so he basically used the 'strike first before they strike' approach.

5, he should have heaved a sigh of relief and left it at that but now he thinks he can cash in (i am guessing he is getting bad advice from some greedy people )

It is more like this ,

On Friday August 13, 2010 around 6:45 pm
The boy had N4,000 but ATM will only allow N3,000 for him to withdraw.
He took out N2,000 only to find out that N9.3 Billion was in balance.
He took out N20,000 more on Friday night.
He came back on Saturday morning August 14, 2010 to , (you can fill in the gaps grin ) and then found his account in the red to the tune of N18,000 debit.
He reported to the bank on Monday morning August 15, 2010 and was advised to return the N20,000 which he did.
After getting a lot of air time on radio stations in Ibadan, he reported the case to the Police Special Fraud Unit (SFU) through his lawyers and the Bank Manager (a Lady) and HBO were arrested and subsequently released.
The boy now claims he "returned" the money and received a scholarship form his school (Ibadan Poly)and a brand new car and some money from his church (MFM).
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by ogunniyi2: 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2010
i am not surprised with the action/utterance of  last bank[sorry,1first bank from the last] ,  corruption is a cankerworm which has eating deep into the bonemarrow of 1st bank bigwigs ,but they know how to play smart!!,  it is the grass that suffered when there elephant is fighting. they always punished their junior ones making them a skascapegoat while while pretending  not to know that a particular E.D OR SENIOR ONE was /is involved! 1st bank is like a typical nigeNigeriarupt politician, truth is bitter!!
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by luvsonnex(m): 2:28pm On Nov 01, 2010
A lot of us need not be fooled here. I will definitely be the last to be. I can say it all out that , Mr Duro is tentatively a criminal that should be well handled. I believe that bank's gone through the details of his action on that account, and before they could come out and say what they said, they must have done all their homework well, with legal knowledge right at the back of their minds, Things got awry, probably, and that was why Mr Duro returned the money, I said it immediately the news first filtered out. A Poly student of his age & experience on campus, inside that Ibadan Poly, religiously inclined or not, will NEVER EVER return such money just like that. Let him just withdraw his case, enjoy his gifts from those he has been able to fool, concentrate on how he's going to graduate with some good grades and let sleeping dogs lie. Else, the last is yet to be heard on this. I rest my case.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Ajike: 3:07pm On Nov 01, 2010
this guy has had his five minutes of fame - he has been adequately compensated for "returning" the money - why can't he just move on with his life instead of trying to milk the situation endlessly

can't u read in between the line? the bank has come back to say he was trying to steal the money. if they too can not compensate him, can't they just keep their dirty mouth shout instead of trying to dirt his personality?
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Ajike: 3:17pm On Nov 01, 2010
A lot of us need not be fooled here. I will definitely be the last to be. I can say it all out that , Mr Duro is tentatively a criminal that should be well handled. I believe that bank's gone through the details of his action on that account, and before they could come out and say what they said, they must have done all their homework well, with legal knowledge right at the back of their minds, Things got awry, probably, and that was why Mr Duro returned the money, I said it immediately the news first filtered out. A Poly student of his age & experience on campus, inside that Ibadan Poly, religiously inclined or not, will NEVER EVER return such money just like that. Let him just withdraw his case, enjoy his gifts from those he has been able to fool, concentrate on how he's going to graduate with some good grades and let sleeping dogs lie. Else, the last is yet to be heard on this. I rest my case.

wot could av gone awry? this days that anybody can steal ur ATM card and ur password to withdrawn moni from ur acct. He's a student for crying out load, he can withdrawn the money within a tickle of an eye and dissapear into d tin air, he can even stay around and said his ATM card was stolen or lost, is it not possible? wotever homework they would av done, they shld av just given d guy token and move on with their daily business. more than that av been stolen internally that they cannot even allow the public to hear it.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by folem: 4:41pm On Nov 01, 2010
Ajike:

wot could av gone awry? this days that anybody can steal your ATM card and your password to withdrawn moni from your acct. He's a student for crying out load, he can withdrawn the money within a tickle of an eye and dissapear into d tin air, he can even stay around and said his ATM card was stolen or lost, is it not possible? wotever homework they would av done, they shld av just given d guy token and move on with their daily business. more than that av been stolen internally that they cannot even allow the public to hear it.

There is  a limit on the amount ATM can be used to withdraw. It is N60,000 and some machines/banks,  max 3 withdrawals per day.

The boy already withdrew N22,000 in 2 attempts on Friday night.

By Saturday morning his account was in debit.  grin grin

[size=16pt]Police blame N9.3 billion deposit on system failure, clear bank executives[/size]

The Special Fraud Unit (SFU) of the Nigeria Police Force says a system failure resulted in an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) depositing N9.3 billion in a customer’s account. According to agency reports, Durojaiye Job, a student of the Polytechnic, Ibadan had on August 13, raised alarm after discovering the amount in his First Bank Plc savings account. DCP Salisu Fagge, head of SFU, said investigations into the allegation by Job that some bank officials attempted to use his account to defraud the bank had been concluded.

Fagge said Job’s petition, which was sent to the DIG “D” Department, Force CID in Abuja through the Commis-sioner of Police, was referred to his unit for investigations. “When the student discovered the huge amount of money in his account at about 7.30 pm, he was so much shocked because he only had N4,000 of his own in the account. ``He then used his card to withdraw N20,000 from the ATM to convince himself that the figure was real.

``After the withdrawal, he informed the bank’s Branch Manager and the Operations Manager of the huge deposit in his account. ``But the bank executives denied knowledge of the transactions and also denied the boy a request for a statement of his account. ``The student who suspected that the bank executives may have attempted to use his account to commit fraud, returned the N20,000 he withdrew with his ATM card and alerted his lawyer who wrote a petition to the DIG.

“The unit invited the two bank executives and both denied knowledge of the transaction. ``But on further investigations into the case, the Chief Internal Auditor and the Information Technologist of the bank confirmed that the huge deposit was as a result of system failure,’’ he said. Fagge said a comprehensive report of what transpired on some of the accounts in the bank, including that of Job, between 6.30 p.m. and 7.00 p.m. when the system failure occurred was brought to the unit.

``Based on the investigations carried out by the unit, there was no evidence of fraudulent transfers to any customer’s account.” ``The bank also did not record any financial loss as a result of the system failure which occurred, and the error was detected and rectified some minutes after it occurred,’’ he added. Fagge however advised Nigerians to emulate the steps taken by Job in alerting the bank about the alleged fraud, instead of making away with the money.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by jango77(m): 12:19pm On Nov 02, 2010
consult ur bank first, if u have or expect 3 k, what or why in gods name did u withdraw 20k,,just like the other guy said,those guys who work in bank re human like us,anybody or even computer can make mistakes ,on normal ground if a hug sum like that gets to ur acc and u dont know nothing abt it, call ur bank and ask how come, dont just go and withdraw some, did he just do it to see if its real money of if its fake? grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Read This Warning SIGN Pasted In Front Of A Popular Brothel... / What Does Credit Load, Credit Unit and Credit Hours Mean In The University? / Thread For Structural Engineering Students.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.