Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m (6383 Views)

BIU Student Threatens Tab-Thief With Madness (Snapshot) / First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. / Kwara Poly Student Protest Over Killing Of Colleague (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by DonDiara(m): 5:09am On Oct 29, 2010
The last may not have been heard about the case of the N9.3 billion lodged in the FirstBank account of a student of The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Mr Durojaiye Job Adeyemi, with the subsequent report credited to the bank management that he should not be celebrated as he initially tried to steal the money but when he found out that he would not be successful, he eventually disclosed what he found in his account to the branch manager of the bank’s Polytechnic branch.

Durojaiye has said FirstBank’s report on the case was damaging to his personality, and he would be suing the bank for N250 million for libel.

The Higher National Diploma (HND) II Civil Engineering student, while speaking at a press briefing on Thursday, at the Press Centre of the Oyo State  council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Iyaganku, Ibadan, said the new twist being introduced by the bank was unfortunate, claiming the bank was only trying to cover its inefficiency.

“They said I tried to steal the money but when I discovered that it would not be easy, then I reported the case to the branch manager, but in actual fact, if I tried to steal the money, would I have withdrawn just N20,000?

“I was only expecting to find N3,000 in my account, so when I found N9.3 billion, I was shocked and wanted to confirm if the money was truly in the account.

“My lawyer will take the case up because FirstBank is only trying to cover its mistake,” he said.

Mr Durojaiye, who had been honoured in different quarters since the case came to limelight, urged Nigerian youths not to be discouraged by what was happening to him, as honesty paid in the end.

While speaking, Durojaiye’s counsel, Mr. Ibrahim Lawal of Olujinmi and Akeredolu Chambers, said his client would sue FirstBank for N250million for libel and character damaging.

Mr. Lawal wondered why it took the bank two months to come out with its side of the story, saying the bank waited that long to perfect its lies.
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/12840-n93bn-lodgement-firstbank-is-trying-to-cover-its-inefficiency-poly-student-threatens-to-sue-bank-for-n250m

This is getting more interesting !  wink
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 29, 2010
Wel durojaiye has a point his actions r justified bt dis is nigeria.its a case of one man vr a corporate/financial institution n our judicial system is weak.it only takes d high n mighty 2 block d judges throat wit sum milions 2 save d bank managers job n name.bt seriously d bank is very ungrateful o! So dey coudnt giv him lyk 5o k 2 encourage him.al dis old folks sef dey r a huge disapointment
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by daylae(m): 8:03am On Oct 29, 2010
And this is where duro's big reward realy lies. The bank just made a good mistake. And duro is grateful enough taking the oppurtunity.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by shadrach77: 12:31pm On Oct 29, 2010
this guy has had his five minutes of fame - he has been adequately compensated for "returning" the money - why can't he just move on with his life instead of trying to milk the situation endlessly grin grin grin
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by bissalla: 12:43pm On Oct 29, 2010
N250 million is too small for a damage as such.

Please sue them for N1 billion naira, for making such a costly mistake and at the sametime pointing accusing fingers at the fellow who save them embarassment.

What if he had decided to withdraw the whole and he successfully did that?

Is this how we reward honesty. Please First Bank shut, and put your house in order.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by llade(m): 1:02pm On Oct 29, 2010
The guy is a thief. He had only 3,000.00 and when he saw the huge moni in his account he withdrew 20k. He does not know that this amounts to stealing. If he likes let him allow his lawyer to deceive him by suing the bank.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by opabukun(m): 1:03pm On Oct 29, 2010
I see d guy win dis case.
going by his counsel's success, abounding evidences, ref. cases etc.
I can not but wish him best of luck
this serves 1st bank rite.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by oludashmi(f): 1:05pm On Oct 29, 2010
It's not their fault, the guy caused it. angry angry
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by jeryl: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2010
I am sorry to bring this here, but i feel like i'm going to choke if i dont speak out against Zenith bank daylight robbery on its customers. I was pleaded to open an a/c with them and i finally opened a savings a/c. But to my greatest surprise, anytime i recive money into this a/c, they charge me a minimum of N200.00. The shocking thing is that they did not inform me neither did the alert they send to me display this. It was until i checked my previous balance from my present balance, that i noticed a difference. When i enquired, they told me that it is upcountry charge that i can get a waiver. But i feel so sad that this is going on in a co-operate environment without recourse to customers. I don't have any problem with banks' charges, but c'mom, this is the height of it. In this period of online real time banking. U charged me for recieving money that creates liquidity for you that you also use to trade in all forms of say Tbills, Bonds, FX, loan customers, then you charge me? On a savings a/c? Haba! Without even telling me?
Then i told my firend who also informed that he once did an a/c to a/c transfer within two Zenith Bank savings a/cs and was charged C.O.T as much as N6,000.00. That really got me crazy, 'cos i know that other banks i bank with, they have never charged me for transferring money from one a/c to another within same bank. Haba!!! what kind of co-operate robbery is this. He was not even informed until he finished the transactions and saw his balance. How can you charge someone for ;
1. saving the bank cost and time by not queueing up to withdraw, thereby putting the bank through the stress of counting and paying, and then queue up again to pay the money (count again and deposit).
2. By creating liquidity for the bank since the money is not leaving the bank, but still within the bank.

Please, as much as this might be the wrong forum and there will definitely be dissenting voices. I urge all who support this to start posting it everywhere possibvle- twitter, facebook, sahara reporters, any other social network site.
Pls dont stop.
This is not just against Zenith, but against any other bank that is doing this unethical thing. People should know their right and fight for it. I have never heard of this type before and it must stop. I learnt banks like UBA use to do same until they met a customer their match and they stopped. So we must stop Zenith and other such banks. There are many ways banks make money. Zenith have all sorts of charges, but this is definitely the height of it- stealing from unsuspecting Nigerians!PLEASE START POSTING. I AM ALSO CONSIDERING WRITING EFCC & CBN ON THIS.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by folem: 1:24pm On Oct 29, 2010
bissalla:

N250 million is too small for a damage as such.

Please sue them for N1 billion naira, for making such a costly mistake and at the sametime pointing accusing fingers at the fellow who save them embarassment.

What if he had decided to withdraw the whole and he successfully did that?

Is this how we reward honesty. Please First Bank shut, and put your house in order.

How much can you withdraw from ATM in a day?

FYI it is only N60,000 and the boy withdrew N20,000 only for him to come back the next Saturday to continue withdrawing more money but now found his account already in debit.

Honesty is certainly not a trait that Durojaiye has, although he got some fooled.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Youngichou(m): 1:26pm On Oct 29, 2010
now he has come to his senses
WHEN IT WAS POSTED HERE EARLIER I SAID IT, THAT HE IS A FOOL FOR RETURNING THAT MONEY AND 90% OF nairalanders here were insulting me now i think you got it right.
he his a fool for trying to play a god boy, o boy if na me that money don gooooo
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Ephraimi(m): 1:28pm On Oct 29, 2010
All well meaning Nigerians must support dis guy. Deris loophole in d bank's system but dey stil have d audacity to accuse sb instead of tracing d problen in-house. Who knows if d money is not connectd 2 d Oct 1 blast. How did such money find its way into a student's a/c & develop wings d following day? Its just mysterious.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Youngichou(m): 1:28pm On Oct 29, 2010
llade:

The guy is a thief. He had only 3,000.00 and when he saw the huge moni in his account he withdrew 20k. He does not know that this amounts to stealing. If he likes let him allow his lawyer to deceive him by suing the bank.
you are a fool of the biggest order.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by vinmol: 2:41pm On Oct 29, 2010
llade:

you are an ignoramous, your generations to come thievies!

shadrach77:

this guy has had his five minutes of fame - he has been adequately compensated for "returning" the money - why can't he just move on with his life instead of trying to milk the situation endlessly grin grin grin
are you high on cheap drugs! this is all u got for an honest citizen, am sure u would have done worst!
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by adexchamp(m): 2:55pm On Oct 29, 2010
Don't let us blame the guy i think he's being mislead by people around him or probably the lawyer he presented his case to is such a greedy person so he told him to press charges,well i don't see him winning the case and he will eventually be disgraced,so my advice to Mr Durojaiye Job Adeyemi is to just forget it and move on with life.God's time is surely the Best.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by snthesis(m): 2:58pm On Oct 29, 2010
bad publicity -sum1 is goin to get fired
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 29, 2010
adexchamp:

Don't let us blame the guy i think he's being mislead by people around him or probably the lawyer he presented his case to is such a greedy person so he told him to press charges,well i don't see him winning the case and he will eventually be disgraced,so my advice to Mr Durojaiye Job Adeyemi is to just forget it and move on with life.God's time is surely the Best.

Move on ko, Thats how Nigerians think. Everything is God's time. Even a lazy man is waiting for God's time.
You are tripping right?

A man's character has been damaged by a useless bank due to their own carelessness and you want him to move on.
When will Nigerians wake up and stop being taken for fools shocked embarassed

If this happened abroad, he would be rich for life.

Without being a Lawyer, I can even prove to a judge that he withdrew N20,000 to confirm if the money was really in his account. Did he spend the money??

I wish I was in Nigeria to support this man. I am so happy about the publicity the case is getting and I trust Rotimi Akeredolu ( SAN). He would win this case

Bunch of ignorant peeps on NL, I am so vexed
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by buzugee(m): 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2010
the durojaiya guy is crazy. stuff like this happens all the time in america and britain. if a bank in america mistakenly puts 1 million dollars in your account and you touch it ? that is theft because you know you do not have such an amount in your account. i have seen many cases like this where the bank gives you 10 days to return their money (if you have spent some of it ) and if you dont, you will be sued and your account will be closed (because they do not want to deal with dishonest clients )

so he spent some of the money and now he is trying to sue the bank ? he should be lynched  grin grin grin ole ajibole

same thing happened to me in london, only in my case it was less than 2000 pounds. upon that they still were threatening to take me to court if i no return dem money ?
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by buzugee(m): 3:44pm On Oct 29, 2010
aysometin:

Move on ko, Thats how Nigerians think. Everything is God's time. Even a lazy man is waiting for God's time.
You are tripping right?

A man's character has been damaged by a useless bank due to their own carelessness and you want him to move on.
When will Nigerians wake up and stop being taken for fools shocked embarassed

If this happened abroad, he would be rich for life.

Without being a Lawyer, I can even prove to a judge that he withdrew N20,000 to confirm if the money was really in his account. Did he spend the money??

I wish I was in Nigeria to support this man. I am so happy about the publicity the case is getting and I trust Rotimi Akeredolu ( SAN). He would win this case

Bunch of ignorant peeps on NL, I am so vexed
i laugh in french. is there such a thing in nigeria ? can you actually damage a mans character in nigeria ? nigeria is not a country that runs on reputations.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by violent(m): 3:50pm On Oct 29, 2010
buzugee:

i laugh in french. is there such a thing in nigeria ? can you actually damage a mans character in nigeria ? nigeria is not a country that runs on reputations.

You idíot!

The fact that you ve chosen to wallow in self pity and squalor does not necessarily put everyone else in your pool, some folks in Nigeria have their self pride and image and would go to any length to protect it!
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by violent(m): 3:53pm On Oct 29, 2010
buzugee:

the durojaiya guy is crazy. stuff like this happens all the time in america and britain. if a bank in america mistakenly puts 1 million dollars in your account and you touch it ? that is theft because you know you do not have such an amount in your account. i have seen many cases like this where the bank gives you 10 days to return their money (if you have spent some of it ) and if you dont, you will be sued and your account will be closed (because they do not want to deal with dishonest clients )

so he spent some of the money and now he is trying to sue the bank ? he should be lynched  grin grin grin ole ajibole

same thing happened to me in london, only in my case it was less than 2000 pounds. upon that they still were threatening to take me to court if i no return dem money ?

Again dumbito, where did you see him spend the money?. . .

If you are quite a knowledgeable fellow, then you should know that banks have no such authority to transact on client's account without his/her consent, crediting and debiting my account without my consent is a fraudulent act on the bank's part to begin with.

As if that is not enough, you call him a thief for returning your money?
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2010
buzugee:

so he spent some of the money and now he is trying to sue the bank ? he should be lynched  grin grin grin ole ajibole

Oga, have you read the original story??

He returned their money and then they cooked up a big lie about him and published it. They said he tried to steal the money.

Do you get it??
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by folem: 4:00pm On Oct 29, 2010
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/sept/23/national-23-09-2010-010.htm

Police probe N9.3bn ATM scam
From YINKA FABOWALE, Ibadan
Thursday, September 23, 2010

Detectives at the Police Special Fraud Unit (SFU), Lagos, are investigating the circumstances surrounding the mysterious lodgment of N9.3 billion in the Automated Teller Machine (ATM) savings account of a young customer of a first generation bank.

The client, Adeyemi Durojaye, a Civil Engineering student of The Polytechnic, Ibadan had discovered the money when he went to cash N2,000 out of the N3,000 balance left in his account on Friday, August 13, this year. Unable to believe his eyes, he had cashed N20, 000 to confirm the authenticity of the figure, only to be shocked that the ATM machine not only dispensed the money, but also issued him a receipt for the transaction.

Durojaye was, however, surprised when on the following day, he did a recheck only to find the money gone and his savings account debited to the tune of N18,000.00!
Durojaye consequently reported the matter to the manager of the polytechnic branch of the bank and paid back the cashed amount.

Suspecting that a fraud might have been perpetrated through the transaction, the young man, through his lawyers, Felix Ayogu and Ibrahim Lawal, petitioned the SFU to investigate the scam, which had turned him into a folk hero in Ibadan and environs, when the news was first reported in the local media. He was particularly convinced that officials of the bank were attempting a cover-up, when he demanded a statement of his account and was refused by the management of the bank’s branch.

As it were, however, he got the statement from another branch of the bank in the city, which was oblivious of the transaction. Neither the controversial figure nor the withdrawal he made from it was reflected in the bank statement of account, which further fuelled his suspicion.
Following the petition, detectives from the SFU swung into action and arrested the bank’s branch manager, a woman and another officer in charge of operations there (names withheld) in connection with the alleged fraud about two weeks ago.

The two bank officials were said to have denied complicity in the alleged scam in the statements they made to the police.
Sources told Daily Sun that the officials who were later released on bail over a week ago had exonerated themselves and explained that it was the bank’s headquarter that was in the best position to answer questions on the controversial transaction. Daily Sun learnt that the commissioner of police in charge of SFU had written to invite the bank’s managing director but he was said to be out of the country.
Durojaye and his lawyer were at the SFU office in Ikoyi last Thursday to fully brief detectives on the content of their petition.

Briefing Daily Sun on the outcome of the meeting, the petitioner said he was asked “to exercise patience”, while the police get to the root of the matter. But, one of his lawyers, Lawal, felt the police were merely dragging their feet and hinted on the possibility of engaging the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to help resolve the riddle. His words: “If they are dragging their feet at the SFU, we may as well approach the EFCC, because there is a provision in the Money Laundering Act that obliges bank managements to alert the anti-graft agency and other authorities in the event that a particular amount of money, in the case of an individual, N5 million and corporate body, I think N10 million, is lodged in any bank account.

“Now we are not even talking about millions, but billions of naira. Our question is, how can that large sum of money be transferred into a savings account? Where is it coming from? We feel that we should assist the government to know what’s happening in that bank. The matter cannot simply be swept under the carpet like that and that’s why we are surprised the police have not taken further steps on the matter.”

Meanwhile, the polytechnic authorities have awarded Durojaye a scholarship to see him through his Higher National Diploma (HND) programme in appreciation of his honesty in reporting the scam. They also promised him automatic employment, upon completion of his studies, for being a good ambassador of the institution.
The polytechnic’s Rector, Prof. Olusegun Odunmola, who announced the package through the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Alhaji Soladoye Adewole told Daily Sun that the gesture was to encourage other students to emulate Durojaye’s “positive behaviour.”
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by lollidam91(m): 4:03pm On Oct 29, 2010
What of if d guy has fled with d money?. he would have enjoy being calld a thief rather than returning it and stil rmain thief
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by folem: 4:06pm On Oct 29, 2010
aysometin:

He returned their money and then they cooked up a big lie about him and published it. They said he tried to steal the money.

His activities on the ATM machine of the next day (Saturday) can be verified and he might not like the outcome.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by buzugee(m): 4:09pm On Oct 29, 2010
violent:

You idíot!

The fact that you ve chosen to wallow in self pity and squalor does not necessarily put everyone else in your pool, some folks in Nigeria have their self pride and image and would go to any length to protect it!

shut your azz up. self pride ? wtf is that ? a man made emotion buoyed by ego. thats all that is. so if mortals like yourself choose to fallow in self pride, thats your funeral. you know what they say in the bible about pride ?

thats the problem with nigerians. you are one of the most morally bankrupt people on earth yet you feel pride. an oxymoron if i ever saw one
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by buzugee(m): 4:12pm On Oct 29, 2010
violent:

Again dumbito, where did you see him spend the money?. . .

If you are quite a knowledgeable fellow, then you should know that banks have no such authority to transact on client's account without his/her consent, crediting and debiting my account without my consent is a fraudulent act on the bank's part to begin with.

As if that is not enough, you call him a thief for returning your money?

again stop acting like an ignorant nincompoop. banks do not transact behind your back using your account. when such mistakes happen, it is usually computer error. dayummmm looks like i am talking to a bunch of retards in here. what is your IQ again ?
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by violent(m): 4:18pm On Oct 29, 2010
buzugee:

shut your azz up. self pride ? wtf is that ? a man made emotion buoyed by ego. thats all that is. so if mortals like yourself choose to fallow in self pride, thats your funeral. you know what they say in the bible about pride ?

thats the problem with nigerians. you are one of the most morally bankrupt people on earth yet you feel pride. an oxymoron if i ever saw one

hehe. . .so what do you recommend ídiot?, . .i should keep my lips sealed and allowed myself to be trampled over, just because I'm Nigerian and in Nigeria anything goes?

Why the fúck have you gone to school to obatain a degree if you can't refute every shít thrown at you?. . duh!, that's why we have the legal system, the court is there to ensure that every citizen's right is protected, this isn't the Animal farm where some animals are bigger and higher than the others

and yes, morally bankrupt people are humans too, they shouldn't be treated as doormats.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by violent(m): 4:21pm On Oct 29, 2010
buzugee:

again stop acting like an ignorant nincompoop. banks do not transact behind your back using your account. when such mistakes happen, it is usually computer error. dayummmm looks like i am talking to a bunch of retards in here. what is your IQ again ?

so the computer wired 9 billion into some dude's account. . .the dude was able to withdraw 20k from it. . .the ATM machine issued a receipt and stated in account balance. . . .and a day later, the computer corrected itself. . .and his happened in only one account of over a million account held by first bank in Nigeria?

. . .and you couldn't pick any holes in this, besides blaming it on computer error?,  . .you sir, are too dumb to be real. . .I'm convinced I'm actually arguing with a really dumb robot.
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by buzugee(m): 4:21pm On Oct 29, 2010
aysometin:

Oga, have you read the original story??

Do you get it??
hunny the question is do you get what happened here ? let me break it down. when such computer error happens, the bank usually realizes it in a matter of 24 hours. ok it is documented that the guy withdrew more than he knew he had in the bank. so it is obvious that the guy would have gone on withdrawing if the system had allowed him to. the system caught on and the guy couldnt withdraw anymore so he figured the gig was up and he went in to report the incident before they hauled him in with charges. all of this is computerized and documented. am i mad at the guy ? hell nahhhhh. would i have done the same thing he did ? helll yeahhhhhh. but would i try to sue the bank afterwards ? thats just preposterous. hell nahhhhh
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by obyann(f): 4:22pm On Oct 29, 2010
First bank should accept their mistake jare
Re: Poly Student Threatens To Sue First Bank For N250m by buzugee(m): 4:26pm On Oct 29, 2010
violent:

hehe. . .so what do you recommend ídiot?, . .i should keep my lips sealed and allowed myself to be trampled over, just because I'm Nigerian and in Nigeria anything goes?

Why the fúck have you gone to school to obatain a degree if you can't refute every shít thrown at you?. . duh!, that's why we have the legal system, the court is there to ensure that every citizen's right is protected, this isn't the Animal farm where some animals are bigger and higher than the others

and yes, morally bankrupt people are humans too, they shouldn't be treated as doormats.
what do i recommend ? have the common sense to know when you have been licked and keep it moving. COMMON SENSE is not so common. trying to take a stand on a non-issue demonstrates lack of common sense.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

B.ed In Nwafor Orizu College Of Edu.in Affiliation With Unn Nsukka. / If You're Studying Any Of These Courses You Aren't In School - NUC / Read This Warning SIGN Pasted In Front Of A Popular Brothel...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.