Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,484 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti (3583 Views)

Buhari Deploys Service Chiefs To Niger Delta Over Rising Militancy. / Chibok Girls Rescue: Military Deploys 2 Fighter Jets, 4 Helicopters In Gwoza / Fashola Commission Powered Panels At The Lagos State Model School At Meiran. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 30, 2010
lastpage:

Until we can manufacture those "Deep Cycle Batteries" in Nigeria, all these talk of Solar Energy being the cheapest in Nigeria is HOGWASH and selling-by-deceit!

How on earth will an average Nigerian (say a Teacher who earns 50K monthly) be able to buy enough batteries to switch COMPLETELY to Solar Power?

Calculate the energy needs of a household (Fridge, Freezer, TV, Fans, Music System, Phones, Electric Cooker, Microwave, Boiling kettle, A.C, Computer System, e.t.c) and tell me the size/number of those very expensive Deep Cycle Batteries that would be needed to guarantee uninterrupted Solar Power energy supply.

Until anyone can show me a calculation that shows that Solar arrangement is cheaper than NEPA  grin or Gas or even firewood (lol), until then, stop deceiving people and raising their hopes unnecessarily.

BTW: We had Berec Batteries in Lagos when l was young; cant Fashola  grin or any private Investor go into that battery manufacture?

Let me ask you something, how cheap is the cost of energy source you're using right now? And how constant is it?

If SP is costlier than Whatever "pa nan pa nan" you guys are currently using in Lagos, then I won't mind as long as SP serves us 24hr/day light/ energy.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by tunde300us(m): 12:03am On Oct 31, 2010
Well @ kobojunkie, maybe u shld go to russia and other countries using gas powered plants and see how efficient they are running it.Cos Nigeria isnt doing well with its own dont mean it is a failure.

And for ur information the gas powered plants re the ones doing all the job in Nigeria,atleast with the few 3000megawatt we have presently.Am nt ready to exchange words with ppl who just look for opportunities to yab ppl.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 12:27am On Oct 31, 2010
tunde300us:

Well @ kobojunkie, maybe u shld go to russia and other countries using gas powered plants and see how efficient they are running it.Cos Nigeria isnt doing well with its own dont mean it is a failure.

And for your information the gas powered plants re the ones doing all the job in Nigeria,atleast with the few 3000megawatt we have presently.Am nt ready to exchange words with ppl who just look for opportunities to yab ppl.
What you are suggesting is that individual Nigerians/businesses/Schools etc go out there, and work on building personal gas turbines for themselves? That, according to you, is cheaper and more efficient way for individuals to provide for themselves electricity with freedom of mind.

Before you jump into a discussion, at least take time to understand the context. And please, do not come back with that whole “I am a better Nigerian than you are” nonsense as way of making your unreasonable contribution in this seem more honorable or something. That card has been overplayed, and many of us are sick of it.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by netotse(m): 1:46am On Oct 31, 2010
@kobojunkie
i cant remember if we've had this discussion before, but would you care to tell us how solar is a better option than the gas turbines et al?

i know quite a bit about solar installation and i'm asking you what parts you're talking about that would require maintenance, oyb came and told us batteries. . .but you keep alluding to this 24 hours thing. you're starting to remind me of Afam.

i wish you could see things from my side, you're dancing round the issue, it wouldn't be a crime if you said you dont really understand, afterall you dont work with them.

anyways, you dont have to answer anymore, i realise i might be fussing, i'm a technical person that's all.

i'll get the list and pass it on to you, there's only one american manufacturer on it if i remember correctly, the ECN gives out a lot of solar projects every year so if your panels are cheaper you could do a bit of biz with the contractors
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 1:55am On Oct 31, 2010
Do you folks read at all? Why would I engage in such a discussion? How exactly will a discussion suggesting that 150 million people (40 million households) build for their homes, gas turbines power plants, go?  Who would propose or even give time of day to such?

By the way, I am also a technical person as well. I am not sure what you are getting at with the now ridiculous line of questions IF you really know as much as you claim of the technology.

Modified after someone pointed my attention to my continual use of the word turbine there
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by netotse(m): 2:08am On Oct 31, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Do you folks read at all? Why would I engage in such a discussion? How exactly will a discussion suggesting that 150 million people (40 million households) build for their homes, gas turbines, go?  Who would propose or even give time of day to such?

By the way, I am also a technical person as well. I am not sure what you are getting at with the now ridiculous line of questions IF you really know as much as you claim of the technology.

as per the bolded from where to where? stop skewing things abeg

as per the solar thing, you're talking like all those people that use english to do all their engineering, the question i asked you was simple enough, apart from the solar panels, what other part of the solar set up will require maintenance. . .that's the only question i asked you and you haven't answered it up till now

you're making claims i dont understand in a field i have interest in, so i should just accept your word as law nii?
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 3:28am On Oct 31, 2010
netotse:

as per the bolded from where to where? stop skewing things abeg

as per the solar thing, you're talking like all those people that use english to do all their engineering, the question i asked you was simple enough, apart from the solar panels, what other part of the solar set up will require maintenance. . .that's the only question i asked you and you haven't answered it up till now

you're making claims i dont understand in a field i have interest in, so i should just accept your word as law nii?

Maybe you should take time to read posts before responding. That way you do not end up making the same mistake already addressed in said post.

If you are a technical person, as you claim, why ask me that question? Honestly, we have already been through this issue on more than a thread now. So, I still wonder why exactly I would have to engage you in the very same yet again? Since you claim to have it figured out, why ask?
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by tunde300us(m): 5:40am On Oct 31, 2010
Am sorry kobojunkie i reallydont understand u oh,y would individuals build energy sources themselves if there is enough electricity to go round the country? cos i am just wondering what ur argument is

If Nigeria has enough power to go round those skls in ekiti am sure Omatek wont be wasting its time deploying solar powered anything,maybe ure talking about something else i guess
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2010
tunde300us:

Am sorry kobojunkie i reallydont understand u oh,y would individuals build energy sources themselves if there is enough electricity to go round the country? cos i am just wondering what your argument is 
You tell me since you are the one bringing it up yourself and having me wonder why in the world the COUNTRY's Problem is being brought into this again.

tunde300us:

If Nigeria has enough power to go round those skls in ekiti am sure Omatek wont be wasting its time deploying solar powered anything,maybe ure talking about something else i guess
Answer these questions for yourself  . . .
a) Does your Nigerian currently have enough electricity to go around the country?

b) Should schools, rather than going with alternative sources readily available to them, continue to wait, paralyzed for your Nigeria to make up its mind on when it will have enough electricity to go around?

c) For the past 12 or more years, you National budget have included an average of a Trillion Naira each year  for purchase, fueling and maintenance of generators. Has that turned out cheaper for the nation than if your federal government had instead invested that money in renewable sources during that same period, rather that flushing over a trillion naira down the drain each year?

d) Are individuals/businesses in Nigeria better off continuing to wait while paralyzing their own growth, for your Nigeria to get enough electricity to go around, rather than investing in a source that will provide electricity for them, pays back on their investment over the years, and is not harmful to their health?

e) A Car is expensive but why buy one when you can always pay a cheaper fee each day to take public transportation or even taxis?  Why purchase a car when you can also wait for Nigeria or even your state government to install a cheaper transportation system to get you from point A to point B each day? Isn't owning a car more a question of convenience, than anything else?

PS: unlike cars, solar installments pay for themselves over time; Cars don’t.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Smi1(m): 11:21pm On Oct 31, 2010
Good news !! wink
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by netotse(m): 12:58am On Nov 01, 2010
Kobojunkie:

c) For the past 12 or more years, you National budget have included an average of a Trillion Naira each year  for purchase, fueling and maintenance of generators. Has that turned out cheaper for the nation than if your federal government had instead invested that money in renewable sources during that same period, rather that flushing over a trillion naira down the drain each year?
do you have any idea what our budget was this year? or indeed for the last 12 years?humour me, please back up your claim with facts/figures

Kobojunkie:

Maybe you should take time to read posts before responding. That way you do not end up making the same mistake already addressed in said post.

If you are a technical person, as you claim, why ask me that question? Honestly, we have already been through this issue on more than a thread now. So, I still wonder why exactly I would have to engage you in the very same yet again? Since you claim to have it figured out, why ask?
this is the sequence of events

ileke idi mentioned something about maintenace costs affecting the viability

i disagreed with her and told her why

you told me i was wrong,

i told you why i thought i was right and asked you how exactly i was wrong

you still haven't been able to tell me in concrete terms what makes me wrong. . .

p.s. you misused the word tubine, that's why i said you were skewing things.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by Kobojunkie: 1:16am On Nov 01, 2010
netotse:

do you have any idea what our budget was this year? or indeed for the last 12 years?humour me, please back up your claim with facts/figures
Do Check the Budget site to get information on this please
netotse:

this is the sequence of events
ileke idi mentioned something about maintenace costs affecting the viability
i disagreed with her and told her why
you told me i was wrong,
i told you why i thought i was right and asked you how exactly i was wrong
you still haven't been able to tell me in concrete terms what makes me wrong. . .
Oh! You have been expecting me to somehow provide you, in concrete terms, the reason for why you would be wrong there? Hmm . . . I am sorry to do such. I did state that you would need to do additional research on the issue to understand why I would say such, IF YOU WANTED TO.
netotse:

p.s. you misused the word tubine, that's why i said you were skewing things.
And I didn’t even realize that until now. But then, that is still not enough reason for you to ask me the question that followed.
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by lastpage: 1:26am On Nov 01, 2010
@ileke-idi
Let me ask you something, how cheap is the cost of energy source you're using right now? And how constant is it?

If SP is costlier than Whatever "pa nan pa nan" you guys are currently using in Lagos, then I won't mind as long as SP serves us 24hr/day light/ energy.
I've tried both and a few other options in-between.
Right now, l use Gas and Electricity for my energy needs. Its far cheaper than when l tried running the same number of power equipments on complete Solar Power source. Infact, l had to scale down, for me to even use the Solar Power.
And my freezer has been on solid ice for the last 10 - 5years until l changed it for a more energy efficient one that doesn't build-up ice. Power is constant in as much as you can pay for it! grin

Although l observed you did not provide any answer to the valid questions and possible scenario l painted above, you just went on this tangent about some "incoherent phrase" (pan am pan am?) about Lagos?
WTFK shocked shocked
Re: Omatek Deploys Solar-powered Panels In Ekiti by netotse(m): 1:42am On Nov 01, 2010
@kobo
when you make a claim, you are under obligation to support it with facts, not so?

in 2001 the budget was less than 1trillion, that alone means that your statement is false. . .that's what i was getting at.

do you have any idea what it would mean for govt to spend 1trillion on generators every year? you shouldn't make such statements lightly. . .

as per the solar thingy, there are no parts that would require maintenance. . .finito

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You Feeling This Elections At All? Wondering If Our Pulse Is Really Racing! / Progressive Governors On The Street Of Maiduguri Acknowledging Cheers(pix) / House Of Reps Member Dies After Affair With A Female Banker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.