Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,015 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin (24657 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Can A Christian Marry More Than One Wife? / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Joagbaje(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2010
seyibrown:

[b]Abraham married only Sarah. Moses married the ethiopian when his wife died. If we are to follow some men in the bible, it means marrying wives and keeping many concubines is 'moral' and 'holy'. How then are we different from those who revel in sexual immorality? That any man in the bible had a woman or children by a woman other than their wife does not overide Jesus' definition of Adultery, which starts at 'lusting after another woman'. God is our standard , not any man, and Jesus explained that standard as 'he that made them in the beginning made them male and female (Adam and Eve), not Male and FemaleS (Adam+ Eve + Morenike). Jesus interpreted the Law and the Holy Spirit confirms and clarifies his interpretation, hence the reason why you will not find a 'holy/pure' reason/motive to marry a second wife. The reason/motive is usually sinful e.g lust /lack of faith (for the fruit of the womb)/impatience/incontentment/selfishness/betrayal/sexual incontinence/vow breaking/disobedience/unfaithfulness/ oppression of the wife etc. Don't forget that Jesus said to do unto others what we what we want them to do to us? If you give your body (which your wife should have control over) to another woman, why should your wife keep her body for you?[/b]

Can anybody else on this thread please ask the Holy Spirit to explain this matter to them? Can a spirit-filled child of God truly justify such action? Where does a child of God stop: at four or fifty wives? Any concubines permitted? Please come and tell us what was revealed to you.

You keep giving impression of polygamy as adultery. It is wrong. We are not discussing adultery but polygamy. A man legally been married to two women. It is not adultery issue . I know you are a woman and somehow it may be touchy for you. But polygamy is a system. Some churches practice it . African tradition allows it. You can not call those who are involved with it as adulterer . it's an insult. My Dad got another wife because my mum wasn't From his village. He was pressured by family because it was like taboo in those days. He and my mum agreed who he should bring in as next wife. Do you call that adultery. Was abraham an adulterer? It was by consent. Was jacob an adulterer ? No , it was by consent. Several polygamists have their reasons. The Church of The latter rain practice polygamy. Is polygamy a sin . No! . Can it be a sin? yes. Based on the circumstance. If it's born out of selfishness and against love. But that's another matter.

And where did you get the idea that Moses lost the wife before taking another? You should brought out such scripture. Moses had two wives simultaneously. Jacob had several. For different reasons. Polygamy is a system of marriage. God himself helped out by giving some men more wives . Is God an author of confusion? He even brought the messiah through the "unclean " line according to you.

I Condemn polygamy as I will condemn alcoholism but is it a sin? NOPE!

2 Likes

Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Image123(m): 10:37pm On Nov 13, 2010
^^Answered already, okay.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by InesQor(m): 10:52pm On Nov 13, 2010
Is having HIV a sin? grin
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 11:54pm On Nov 13, 2010
Joagbaje:

You keep giving impression of polygamy as adultery. It is wrong. We are not discussing adultery but polygamy. A man legally been married to two women. It is not adultery issue . I know you are a woman and somehow it may be touchy for you. But polygamy is a system. Some churches practice it . African tradition allows it. You can not call those who are involved with it as adulterer . it's an insult. My Dad got another wife because my mum wasn't From his village. He was pressured by family because it was like taboo in those days. He and my mum agreed who he should bring in as next wife. Do you call that adultery. Was abraham an adulterer? It was by consent. Was jacob an adulterer ? No , it was by consent. Several polygamists have their reasons. The Church of The latter rain practice polygamy. Is polygamy a sin . No! . Can it be a sin? yes. Based on the circumstance. If it's born out of selfishness and against love. But that's another matter.

And where did you get the idea that Moses lost the wife before taking another? You should brought out such scripture. Moses had two wives simultaneously. Jacob had several. For different reasons. Polygamy is a system of marriage. God himself helped out by giving some men more wives . Is God an author of confusion? He even brought the messiah through the "unclean " line according to you.

I Condemn polygamy as I will condemn alcoholism but is it a sin? NOPE!

[b]Joagbaje, I knew there was a reason why you put up a stiff defence for polygamy not being a sin and I am glad you came out with it. That your dad did it does not mean it is not a sin! That children are born of a possibly adulterous relationship does not mean those children are condemned by God. My maternal grandfather had 7 wives, my maternal grandmother being the 4th. My paternal grandfather had 2 wives, my maternal grandmother being the second. No spirit-filled child of God will break the vows he made to God because of family or societal pressure; and where they do, they recognise any wrong they have done before God. There is no justification for sin before God; we ask for repentance and take full responsibility for our sins. David did on the matter of Bathsheba.

Nigerian politicians can blame their relatives and friends for putting pressure on them to embezzle public  funds; Rapists can blame the beauty of the maiden for their lack of self-control; I can blame Baba Bomboy for pressurizing me into cheating on my Husband when he refused to leave knowing my husband will not be be 'visiting' me for the next two weeks; Or I can blame my Husband for causing me to sleep with Baba Emeka because he has spent the last 2 weeks (abiding by the rota) at sisi Caro's place. Our excuses/ weaknesses do not justify our disobedience!

You are right in saying that God is not the author of confusion.

I also quote you:
Polygamy is not a good thing. It creates atmosphere of evil, divisions, party,war, distrust, children grow up in strife and division. Tension and distraction. Favoouritism and bitterness and so on. That's why Paul says a polygamist should not be accepted in leadership. 

But is it a sin ? No! It's a matter of being spared from trouble. Polygamy is trouble .

He did not give anybody extra wives, they 'took' extra wives. He gave Adam only one Eve. We have quoted scriptures against the institution of polygamy. I have not seen one encouraging polygamy. Jesus never endorsed it.

You say Polygamy is not a good thing; I will agree by saying that it is a bad thing because what is not good is bad. What is not holy is unholy; What is not moral is immoral. How does a child of God justify leaving one wife longing for him in her bed while he is busy satisfying his favourite? He can simply prevent himself from being 'unjust' by being keeping control of his desire for intimacy or not bowing to pressure outside of God's word!

Seeing as God is not the author of confusion and Polygamy causes confusion, Then we should not allow confusion to reign in our lives.

If your pastor marrying a second wife means the end of his ministry; why should any other member of the church continue the church marry a second wife, you yourself say that nobody should be an 'ordinary church member'. What sort of message will 'church members' who marry second wives preach in their ministry? Since you think it is not a sin, please tell me of your own understanding; Where does a child of God stop; at four or fifty wives? Since David, Solomon had concubines, then we can say it is not a sin (adultery) for married man to keep concubines (mistresses), following your application of the standard of men.

If Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled (Hebrews 13:4); A man who is already married and giving himself to his legal wife is not keeping himself 'undefiled' for the 'unlawful marriage' to his new 'unlawful wife'.

That someone points out to me that I fornicated contrary to God's commandment is not an insult; they are merely bringing my attention to my something I might have done wrong which will in turn make me ask God for forgiveness or enlightenment.

That 1000 people agree to come together to commit sin does not make it holy! If a man can have two wives and it is not unholy, surely there is nothing wrong in the three of them 'sleeping' in the same bed, after all 'many people' do it nowadays, its only called 3somes. Where exactly do we stop?

I am sorry Joagbaje, my understanding of the word of God tells me that polygamy is adultery seeing as being polygamous means being unfaithful to one wife who has the same control over your body as you have control over her body.

Have you asked the Holy Spirit yet? Let us know what the Holy Spirit tells you about this matter.[/b]
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 12:31am On Nov 14, 2010
InesQor:

Is having HIV a sin? grin

InesQor, I think a better question is: Is infecting a faithful 1st wife who has already been betrayed (contrary to the instruction in Malachi) with HIV/STD gotten from a 2nd or 75th wife (or mistress number 22) a sin?   grin
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by SAKUR: 12:35am On Nov 14, 2010
Not a sin,but having 6 girlfriends is a sin.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Joagbaje(m): 7:04am On Nov 14, 2010
@seyibrown
seyibrown:

Joagbaje, I knew there was a reason why you put up a stiff defence for polygamy not being a sin and I am glad you came out with it. That your dad did it does not mean it is not a sin!

This is not fair, I don't like it when we bring unrealistic sentiments into scriptures. I could have used any other person as illustration. The fact that I experience the polygamy home is one reason I will not recommend it for any one. I believe my stand has been clear on polygamy. So it's not fair. The issue still remains . It is not adultery . It is not sin.it is a legal system of marriage.

There is no justification for sin before God; we ask for repentance and take full responsibility for our sins. David did on the matter of Bathsheba.

It seems you have been so clouded with this POLYGAMY/ADULTERY thing (sorry)that you are missing the point o. Was David repentance based on polygamy or murder plus adultery. He already had many wives that he didn't repent of. And God said if he wanted more wives , he, God will give him more!

If Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled (Hebrews 13:4); A man who is already married and giving himself to his legal wife is not keeping himself 'undefiled' for the 'unlawful marriage' to his new 'unlawful wife'.

Adultery is sexual relashionship with another mans wife.( Defrauding him)If a man takes another wife, it's not adultery.
In polygamy, they are all legal wives.( I don't like this discussion again) but it's the truth.

That someone points out to me that I fornicated contrary to God's commandment is not an insult;

It's not an insult if marriage was not involved. But it's an insult if you are calling legally married people adulterers .

I am sorry Joagbaje, my understanding of the word of God tells me that polygamy is adultery seeing as being polygamous means being unfaithful to one wife who has the same control over your body as you have control over her body.

Marriage is not all about sex. So leave this bed thing out. There will always be polygamy. It's a system for those who don't mind. The population of the world is more of women. Apart from the fact that more female are born. With several families looking for a son. Other issue come that reduce men's population. Over 4,000 American soldiers died in Iraq alone. Many women are looking for husbands today. Marriage is not all about sex. It's about. . . . How do I put it self?. Well let's forget it. grin . But marriage goes beyond sex.

Isaiah 4:1
1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

Have you asked the Holy Spirit yet? Let us know what the Holy Spirit tells you about this matter.[/b]

When a Christian man wakes up and say , hey honey! I'm getting another wife , he needs counselling.  He has acted in selfishness and outside love. Because he has caused her a hurt. And if he had made a vow to her of monogamy. He has sinned against his wife and against love . Besides , the pastor that they are both submitted to will not agree to join someone with a married man.except if its a church that believes in it. But that's not what we are looking at . We are looking at it generally as an institution. Several people have reasons for polygamy. They are numerous. Wearing blue stocking and red stocking together is wrong ,but it is not sin. We have churches that have separated homes . Because a man gets saved and brought his wives, and the pastor says he should divorce one. And send away the other. The institution itself is not the sin. Some women recommended their husband to take another wife . On the ground of child birth. She had lived a rough life, have womb is story story, he is the only son of his parent. There are several reasons. But the issue is . We should not condemn those into it. Because God has not condemn them. They are not living in sin.

God hates divorce, but you can't generalise that also and say every divorce is a sin. That doesn't mean that every divorce is wrong. There are some divorces that God permits. So it depend on the specific case and situation surrounding it. To some people  divorce will be a great miracle but to some others a sin. When it comes to such matters , you deal with a specific case. Same rule applies to polygamy.

If God didn't condemn Abraham,Jacob, Moses , David and Solomon for polygamy. We are not justified to condemn anyone for it.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 11:01am On Nov 14, 2010
Adultery is sexual relashionship with another mans wife.( Defrauding him)If a man takes another wife, it's not adultery.
In polygamy, they are all legal wives.( I don't like this discussion again) but it's the truth.

[b]If the above is the definition of adultery, then please explain what sin Jesus talks about here:

Matthew 5:32
32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Isaiah 4:1
1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

Zechariah 8:23

23Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

It seems you have been so clouded with this POLYGAMY/ADULTERY thing (sorry)that you are missing the point o. Was David repentance based on polygamy or murder plus adultery. He already had many wives that he didn't repent of. And God said if he wanted more wives , he, God will give him more!

I am not clouded on the matter; BEING UNFAITHFUL TO THE WOMAN WHO IS FAITHFUL TO YOU IS ADULTERY! We commit adultery when we are not faithful to God who is faithful to us! I am very clear on the matter, Jo! You cannot do what David did because you are not David! This is not the same dispensation as David lived in, Jo, and you know that! There is no justification for polygamy as all motives that lead to it are sinful! David was not a Christian! POLYGAMY? The thought should not even cross a Christians' mind!

This is not fair, I don't like it when we bring unrealistic sentiments into scriptures. I could have used any other person as illustration. The fact that I experience the polygamy home is one reason I will not recommend it for any one. I believe my stand has been clear on polygamy. So it's not fair. The issue still remains . It is not adultery . It is not sin.it is a legal system of marriage.

Who am I to condemn your father for having two wives when my own grandfather had seven? Come off it! I was pointing out that the fact that someone did it does not make it right. That my grandfathers were not faithful to one wife is not cause for me to rejoice! I don't condemn them, I condemn their act of unfaithfulness! You conveniently ignore the fact that David kept concubines does not make it right for a spirit-filled child of God to keep mistresses today. It is plain adultery! Being unfaithful to one wife is adultery! No two ways about it. I STILL AWAIT WHAT THE HOLY SPIRIT REVEALS TO YOU ON THIS MATTER, JO!

Many of our fathers are deacons and all that in churches today yet they still keep mistresses/girlfriends; it doesn't make it right for a child of God! Many of our parents get the best seats in church today but they keep killing this nation (Nigeria) by what they do when they leave church; does that make what they do right?
[/b]

[b]Many of our forefathers did not have the kind of relationship we have with the Holy Spirit today; Many of our fathers  still say there is nothing wrong with a bit of black magic; they have faith that would move mountains but do not have an intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit; they go to church and the spirit comes upon them (elemi) and they go back home to fornication, idolatry, adultery, brbery & corruption etc. That they do it does not make it right.

You also conveniently avoid my question of where a child of God stops: Where does a child of God stop; 4 WIVES OR 50 WIVES?

Marriage is not all about sex. So leave this bed thing out. There will always be polygamy. It's a system for those who don't mind. The population of the world is more of women. Apart from the fact that more female are born. With several families looking for a son. Other issue come that reduce men's population. Over 4,000 American soldiers died in Iraq alone. Many women are looking for husbands today. Marriage is not all about sex. It's about. . . . How do I put it self?. Well let's forget it.  . But marriage goes beyond sex.

Several people have reasons for polygamy. They are numerous. Wearing blue stocking and red stocking together is wrong ,but it is not sin. We have churches that have separated homes . Because a man gets saved and brought his wives, and the pastor says he should divorce one. And send away the other. The institution itself is not the sin. Some women recommended their husband to take another wife . On the ground of child birth. She had lived a rough life, have womb is story story, he is the only son of his parent. There are several reasons. But the issue is . We should not condemn those into it. Because God has not condemn them. They are not living in sin.

Do the reasons you set out above justify a child of God breaking his marriage vows/ being unfaithful to his wife? 'Marriage goes beyond sex', you say. Yes, and marriage is for one man and one woman and sex is for that one man and woman who have control over what the other does with their body! Seeing as Two become one, half of that 'new one' cannot go and join themself to another woman or another man! I don't condemn anyone; I condemn the act!

Holiness is being set apart from every form of filthiness; We cannot afford to be like the world!

ASK THE HOLY SPIRIT and come back and tell us![/b]
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Joagbaje(m): 11:49am On Nov 14, 2010
Unfaithfulness is sin, I didnt dispute that. We are not talking about cheating on wife. The only disagreement is calling polygamy adultery. There is no scripture that explicitly say that. The bible condemn murder. Adultery, fornication. My understanding is . If a man marries two women legally . They are both wives. I'm not saying a christens should go and do it.   

If the above is the definition of adultery, then please explain what sin Jesus talks about here:

32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

It is still the same, the adultery has to do with the married woman.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Joagbaje(m): 12:06pm On Nov 14, 2010
@seyibrown
You also conveniently avoid my question of where a child of God stops: Where does a child of God stop; 4 WIVES OR 50 WIVES?

I didn't know you really expected an answer on this. I thought it was a rhetorical one.Polygamy is polygamy either 1 or 7.
Evangelist sunny okosun had sever a wives before he got saved. Do you say he was living in aduletery.

A brother once told me he wanted to remarry, that the wife he had , had a permanent disability . I 've forgotten the details. I told him he was married ,he said the wife suggested it. I didn't believe. I called her myself . And she told me she feels he is young and it will be unfair for her to hold him down. I asked if she meant it , she said every bit of it . they've already settled the matter and she's ok with it.

I just mentioned this among many other issues relating specific cases in polygamy.

I agree that one man one woman is original plan.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by aletheia(m): 2:16pm On Nov 14, 2010
seyibrown:

We have quoted scriptures against the institution of polygamy.
What scriptures are explicitly against marrying more than one wife? Note that the operative word there is marrying?

seyibrown:

I have not seen one encouraging polygamy.
Neither are there any that explicitly forbid it. So the question becomes whether one takes the position that:
A. What is not explicitly forbidden is permitted; Or
B. What is not explicitly permitted is forbidden

seyibrown:

Jesus never endorsed it.
But did He directly condemn it?

My view is this: If one is a Christian: he ought to be married to one wife. That this may on occasion not be the case due to circumstances is implied by these verses:

1 Tim 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1 Co 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Suppose a certain Mr Y had two wives and five children before he became a Christian, should he divorce one of the wives? Or Mrs X is the second wife before she became a Christian.

1 Co 7:13-15 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

I am not pro-polygamy; in fact I believe that for one who is a Christian; it is a sin for him to take a second wife because his marriage is supposed to mirror the relationship between Christ and the Church. On the hand I don't think that it a sin in the case of one who had more than one wife before becoming a Christian; if the wives choose to remain with him.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by InesQor(m): 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2010
^^^ +1

@Joagbaje: I think it's still wrong for a man even if its his wife that suggested it (can she not be leading him into wrong against God's will?). But the devil is in the details, it will depend on the details.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Joagbaje(m): 4:28pm On Nov 14, 2010
InesQor:

^^^ +1
@Joagbaje: I think it's still wrong for a man even if its his wife that suggested it (can she not be leading him into wrong against God's will?). But the devil is in the details, it will depend on the details.

It may be possible , Its between them and their pastor , I only cited a case . To seyiborown who seem to always attribute polygamy to ,cheating, adultery etc.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by InesQor(m): 4:33pm On Nov 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

It may be possible , Its between them and their pastor , I only cited a case . To seyiborown who seem to always attribute polygamy to ,cheating, adultery etc.

Ok. But I disagree sha. I say its between them and their God. Nothing to do with their pastor here except only to get notified about the decision especiaLLY IF he joined them in the first case.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 4:42pm On Nov 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

Seyibrown:

Joagbaje:
It is still the same, the adultery has to do with the married woman.

Jo, according to Matthew 5:3, your definition of Adultery as quoted above is wrong! Adultery is not a 'man-only' sin. That verse clearly says that when a man puts his wife away, He causes her to commit Adultery. How did you read that verse a second time to now mean 'it only has to do with the married woman? There is really no need to answer these questsions and the ones you ignored to answer.

I will leave it at your admission that the original plan was one man + one woman!   . . . .  and anything ouside that plan is a deviation.  grin God could have created more than one adam and more than one eve at the time, but he made just one + one. IT IS ONE WIFE/ONE HUSBAND AT A TIME!
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 4:57pm On Nov 14, 2010
@ aletheia

What scriptures are explicitly against marrying more than one wife? Note that the operative word there is marrying?

Malachi 2:14-15
14 You ask, “Why?” It is because the LORD is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.

15 Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.

While the 'marrying another wife' absent 'unfaithful to the wife of your youth' is present. If the wife is said to be unfaithful when she sleeps with another man, the husband is unfaithful when he sleeps with another woman.

Jesus also said he that created them in the beginning made them 'male and female'.

The Bible gives us guidance on the matter of those who find themselves in certain situations before coming to Christ. The Holy Spirit will not lead such people to do wrong if they bring any such matter before him.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by aletheia(m): 8:03pm On Nov 14, 2010
^^^As I stated: I think it is a sin for one who is already a Christian to marry another wife.

seyibrown:

Malachi 2:14-15
14 You ask, “Why?” It is because the LORD is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.

15 Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.

But as I pointed out earlier; the operative word is "marrying". The verses you are quoting are from the OT and deal with divorce---the antithesis of marrying (to take a wife). Now consider this verses also from the OT:

1 Samuel 25:43  David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel; and they were also both of them his wives.

2 Samuel 12:8  And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

Here is God Himself telling David that if he had desired more wives then God would have given him; where David erred was to take another man's wife; thereby breaking the commandments; thou shall not covet thy neighbour's wife; thou shall not commit adultery; thou shall not kill. And remember God said David was a man after God's own heart

Moreover, we see in another place God using the language of polygamy to describe his relationship with Israel and Judah in Jeremiah 3:7-8.

Now Christ has restored Man to the relationship he had with God at the beginning and so Christians ought to remain married to one wife only; because that is a mirror of the relationship between Christ and His Church, but the Bible does not explicitly state that having more than one wife is a sin. It is not the ideal, and so would fall under the rubric of: but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Polygamy does not edify the Christian, but it is not adultery which is a sin.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 11:20pm On Nov 14, 2010
I am sorry, Aletheia, that you do not see ADULTERY as UNFAITHFULNESS to ONE PARTNER! The Malachi scripture deals with marriage and divorce and requires that you be 'FAITHFUL TO THE WIFE OF YOUR YOUTH' - meaning STICK WITH HER NO MATTER WHAT! That samuel etc deviated from God's original plan of ONE EVE for ONE ADAM does not mean that GOD LOWERED HIS ORIGINAL STANDARDS! There are jewish customs that are deviations from the original plan - marrying more than one wife is one of them! He who has ears  . . . . !
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Image123(m): 11:49pm On Nov 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

If God didn't condemn Abraham,Jacob, Moses , David and Solomon for polygamy. We are not justified to condemn anyone for it.
I'm happy most are on the same anti.polygamy page on this issue. Just to add something on the arguable claims above.
I'll say again with you all, that NO christian should marry another husband or wife. Polygamy in scriptures will AT BEST fall amongst God's permissive will, not His perfect, prefered will. His perfect will is what He wants for us and what we should live by. For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning. The wise man sees the evil and hides himself but the foolish moves ahead, striving for where it was EXPLICITLY written, and he is/they are punished.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Image123(m): 12:21am On Nov 15, 2010
Emmm. So i said 'arguably' as i felt i should post this few passages. Eg Malachi2v15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
I'm aware of the other prevalent translations and comments on this passage, but it seems to say(which Jesus Himself said) that God made one Eve/female. This verse then gives the wherefore/reason for making one. This seems explicit but for the other views.
I quote another later. On 2Samuel, here it is again.
2Samuel 12v8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.
Is the emphasis not supposed to be on the whole verse (i.e expanding the kingdom if David wanted more), or on the bolded, instead of skipping and picking the plan to give out more master's wives. Welll, it's not the perfect plan though as here is the law.
Deuteronomy 17v17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Image123(m): 12:44am On Nov 15, 2010
Obviously, OT saints did not have what we NT saints have to fulfill God's law. But we should impose failings on them if they didn't have such failings. In the order mentioned,
Abraham- He was not a polygamist. God didn't see him as one. I guess you're on about Hagar, not Keturah, yet Keturah was the biblically recognised wife AFTER Sarah DIED. As for Hagar, except you're muslim, this is what the Bible calls her- maid/bondwoman.
Genesis 16v3 says Sarai took Hagai and gave her to Abram to be his wife. This is NOT what God has joined together. Neither OT nor NT EVER refer to her as wife but what she truly was. Even Abram called her maid Genesis 16v6. The angel had no such thought as wife in verse 9 "Return to your mistress not husband, and submit yourself under her.cf 21v12 When Isaac was to be sacrificed,God calls Isaac ONLY SON TWO TIMES(genesis 22v2,16). If not for Abraham's pleas, this Ishmael guy and his mum were just O.Y.O before God. Abraham was no polygamist.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Image123(m): 12:56am On Nov 15, 2010
Bros Jacob- married more than one wife, but we all know hin get as hin be, that was why. It wasn't his plan but his uncle's trickery. Genesis 29v25-28. And you know the polytrouble he had, even when He later got serious with God abi na bornagain.
Polygamy was obviously not the norm as Laban later alluded in His vow with Jacob (Genesis 31v50). See eyebrows raised over taking other wives besides Leah and Rachel. Jacob case is an obvious mistake not to be copied.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Image123(m): 1:30am On Nov 15, 2010
Moses- where can i start with the meekest man on earth? First wife, sugar in my tea Zipporah. Second wife, ethiopian woman that got Miriam in serious trouble.
The Bible doesn't explicitly say Zipporah was dead, neither did it say she was alive when Moses married in Numbers 12.
But i believe Zipporah was dead. You ask why? One, Moses was an intelligent man, he wouldn't go to marry a second wife after writing Genesis 1 to Numbers 10 and been with God for 80days, would you? That will show that he learnt nothing from all those things written down and his encounters with God.
Two, he was more than 40years married to Zipporah and had two fine boys, quote me anywhere, they were fine boys.
Three is that he loved his family. He sent them back to Midian until the storm was literally over. Exodus 18v2-9.
Four, and why i really believe Zip died, Numbers 10v29-32 sees Moses plead with Hobab, Zip's brother to stay with him, Numbers 11 sees Moses give a heart render on loneliness, Number 12v1 sees Moses married.
Numbers 11v11 And Moses said unto the Lord, Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? and wherefore have I not found favour in thy sight, that thou layest the burden of all this people upon me?
12 Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers? 13 Whence should I have flesh to give unto all this people? for they weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat. 14 I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me. 15 And if thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee, out of hand, if I have found favour in thy sight; and let me not see my wretchedness.
Here's the man who penned down the wisdom "It is not good that the man should be alone". Seems Zip's death pained him so much he didn't write it.
I don't believe Moses deserves to be labelled a polygamist.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Image123(m): 1:58am On Nov 15, 2010
On those kings David and Solomon them-those are notorious polys. But they suffered for it. If anything, that was their 'lowlight'. David had TERRIBLE family problemS as a result. Solomon in all his wisdom handed over to a foolish akotileta of a son. If those are not enough condemnations of polygamy, well, i really don't know what is.
And by the way, by The Way, a greater than Solomon, Jonah and Moses combined together has come in Jesus. Infact, when Peter mistakenly hinted on equalling Jesus, the Law and the Prophets by making 3tabernacles, God did not allow him to land before replying "This is my beloved Son: hear him"
What did the beloved say again? Please, note the bolded more
Matthew 19v4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they two shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more two, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Note the singular and search for the plural.
Here is the cream
V9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
A man that marries another commits adultery, even if he dumps the first so that they can still be TWO, not to mention when they are THREE. I think that one will be adultery, thuggery and polygamy adding sorrow to an already sorrowful world. Time would fail me to mention Peter and Paul and all the apostles.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by aletheia(m): 10:10am On Nov 15, 2010
^^^At Image 123:
You made some real solid points above. Concerning Abraham, Sarah and Hagar: you expressed thoughts that occurred to me while meditating on this issues yesterday. Hagar was cast out because she wasn't a wife. And you also made another point concerning Jacob; he was a polygamist before he became "born-again." Did he send his extra 3 wives away. No.

Which brings us to the point I 've been trying to make. No Christian should marry more than one wife (for him, it is a sin), but does the bible require that a polygamist who becomes born again send away his other wives? I don't think so.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 8:43pm On Nov 15, 2010
[b]Just bringing this point out for those who might think that polygamy is justified because certain people did it:

If David and Solomon marrying more wives justify a spirit-filled child of God to marry more wives; then the same should apply to having concubines. Since David and Solomon kept concubines we can say it is not a sin for a Christians to have a wife and still keep girlfriends/mistress/concubines! No spirit-filled child of God should deceive themselves into thinking this is the right thing to do! Do not join yourself to another other than the wife of your youth. Man is not our standard; God is!

For those separating divorce from adultery:

When Jesus was asked about the lawfulness of DIVORCE, he referred them the ORIGINAL MARRIAGE PLAN and talked about FORNICATION and ADULTERY! Jesus equated joining one’s self to another other than the ORIGINAL wife or husband as adultery'. Seeing as marriage is the only lawful basis to ‘join yourself to someone’, When you leave that person with which you have become one (temporarily or permanently) and ‘join yourself to another’ you commit adultery. When you ‘break the bond’ and your partner ‘joins himself/herself to another’, you cause him/her to commit adultery. THE ADULTERY IS IN THE ‘JOINING OF ONE’S SELF TO ANOTHER’ OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL PARTNER. The covenant of MARRIAGE (1 + 1 = 1 till death do them part) is the basis for not committing adultery (temporarily or permanently joining to any other partner). Anything else outside that original 1+ 1 is no longer 1 + 1 but ½ + 1 , ¼ + 1 etc.

What makes us different from the world? We are set apart, we are called to holiness. Sexual immorality, lust, and unfaithfulness have no place in holiness! Let everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity! [/b]
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Image123(m): 2:31pm On Nov 18, 2010
does the bible require that a polygamist who becomes born again send away his other wives? I don't think so.
Maybe and maybe not. It depends on the revelation of righteousness. That's why it's dangerous to laugh at or discourage someone who does something for righteousness' sake. Before his Master, he may stand(cf Phinehas) and has his extra Reward.
But one thing that must be added is that, IF a man seperates from his extra 'wives', he should not cut off care and provision for them and their children. It's the summary of many things i might love to say on the above.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 11:01pm On Nov 21, 2010
Just thought this might be of some interest :

Deuteronomy 17:17 (King James Version)

17Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by aurenflani: 6:15pm On Mar 22, 2012
So are u now saying it is a sin? But the poster asks u to qoute the biblical verse that said it is!
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by aurenflani: 6:16pm On Mar 22, 2012
Sotp qouting out of contest! What is the text that goes with that verse?
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by VIJAYCHAITANYA: 3:49pm On Aug 27, 2012
well eve was made from Adam for Adam if ever Adam asked for another one he would take another rib but as i said it will cost u a rib i meant ur lifetime to an another woman also and as u see in the bible G-d commanded wife to submit to her husband but not husband to submit to his wife women are man's helper as god made eve as a helper of Adam but u should know we should love them and one can love many but can commit to only one so husband loves wives commit to him
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by urleryincker(m): 11:23pm On Aug 31, 2013
U dont need any bible refference to know dat it is a sin. Is it written in nigeria constitutiön dat u shud not stay on d high way while a car is coming? of cus it's not bcus it is common sensical. If it is gud , I blif God would av given Adam a polygamous home. So in dat wise it is u nd ur God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Lie "We" Preached From The Pulpit.... / 10 Things That Happen Every Christmas Day / Enoch Adeboye Pictured With Ban Ki-moon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.