Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,060 members, 7,814,647 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? (18634 Views)

Which Of These Professional Courses Should I Go For / You Don’t Need A Four-year Degree To Work With Us – Says Apple, Netflix & Google / Foreign Masters Degree Or Professional Training In ElC&A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by PlzAdvice: 9:55pm On Sep 30, 2019
Career Crossroad: Please I Need Professional Advice

I'm making this thread in hope that it will filter through to persons who would be in good position to offer advice.... Not necessarily on "WHAT I SHOULD DO" - but advice that can help me better understand the pros and cons of the 2 choices before me. Thank you.
Here it is.

I am a 25yr old Nigerian male, I completed my secondary school education (SSCE) in 2010 (I had an issue with maths - I had to resit for another exam 2yrs later due to financial limitations).

After my SSCE same year, i had to go for computer training as a "handwork" - Mum was the only one taking care of us, so the prospects of tertiary education wasn't very bright. Along the line during my training, i developed real passion for ICT...and though my training was just on basic computer appreciation and desktop publishing... I gave it my best.... And was really good.

Not to bore us with many lines, time and seasons came, highs and lows.. But I survived through it all... And I shunned all forms of illegality even when it wasn't easy, seeing the ill-gains others were getting from it.

Currently I work in a place, where God, humility, my skills and proficiency got me to and not even my qualifications (I work as (and more than) Secretary - let's say I am the fix-it guy). I've been getting advice from some of the people around that i should try and upgrade myself (qualifications) - atleast to get better shots - but we all know how the job market is today.

Thing is, irrespective of my age, I really desire to get an "education" to better myself than i currently am - not limited to school (the educational system of our dear country is a sorry state, and the leaders of the institutions are more concern about fees than actually making anything out of the graduates other than offering a certificate backed with signatures and transcript on request) - �

I can't quit my job to go full time after 9yrs of my SSCE, plus i need the job to support myself, siblings and Mum too....and should i consider schooling, I need the job to finance myself - seeing that there's no sponsor in sight.

In the light of the above, I can only go for a part time programme, but when the advert for the school i intend getting the form from, I saw that it would be a 6-year long programme...Good Lord! I had been told it was 5years (Which was still a bit considerable) before now!

Now this is where I'm at cross roads:

Should I really give in another 6 years to acquire this degree (Computer Science)?

At the end of it, would I have really gotten anything marketable from the programme (Unless what I learn out on my own) apart from getting the certificate?

It's no news how even some graduates remain unemployed or under employed even after school....Is the value of a B.Sc any more important to getting success?

What I really want is an to learn professional skills in ICT that can make me really marketable and not just going to school for 6years to get the degree. Are there less lengthy professional courses or career paths that I can follow to master certain fields in ICT that can make me employable for my skills? Certification courses et al?

I'm really confused.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by PlzAdvice: 8:41am On Oct 01, 2019
Cc: Lalasticlala

Sir Seun

et al

Please I need this to be exposed. Please

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Richdad50(m): 11:36am On Oct 01, 2019
shocked

I am so proud of you and your resilience in life. You desire to take care of your Mum and siblings and the willingness to sacrifice. God will oil your hands with prosperity and your feet with good tidings.

Son, wisdom in this time is profitable to direct. Go for the part time program of six years and alongside, write professional certifications within the said time. You would have killed two beautiful birds with one stone. Six years is quite a short time with plenty of room to acquire as much certifications beyond your imaginations tailored towards your choice career in computer science.

Perhaps you are inclined towards Cybersecurity and Networking. I had love to see this as your introductory name in six years time;
Bamidele Chukwuma Bsc. CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNP, CRISC, CCSP, CEH

Richdad

178 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by KingOfAllIgbos: 11:37am On Oct 01, 2019
cool

Coming from someone with multiple Master degrees...

Study yourself well. The Nigerian axiom that "Own your own business" is not always true, we can't all be entrepreneurs.

If you are academically inclined... go for the degree. If not, go for technical /vocational training.

BUT, at least get higher education, if you don't it might come back to bite you, given our environment that is inclined towards paper certificates.

MODIFIED- I just read your post more.... seems the professional training route is better for you. Your beneficiaries wouldn't wait and starve while you are in school. You can explore the hybrid option of RichDad too. Killing 2 birds with a stone.

Tough choice! undecided

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by StrikeBack(m): 11:37am On Oct 01, 2019
I don't have any advice for you. Sorry

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by sofiscatedmoron: 11:37am On Oct 01, 2019
grin
life is short already
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Abdulnur(m): 11:37am On Oct 01, 2019
6yrs degree
No sir
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:38am On Oct 01, 2019
Professional qualification is the degree that will fetches you a job soon after you complete it, and it will decide the profession you want for a lifetime,
the good thing is that you are on the right path already.
Professional courses, are advanced studies in professional or vocational fields, and are designed to provide students with professional knowledge for application in professional practice.
Consider taking a professional course as you want to strengthen your skills in Computer related area, which you are currently good at.
Going for a Professional course will be the best for you.
But all said and done, everything still depends on you,
it is a decision you have to make personally.

Wishing you all the very best for the future young man.

sylve11:
i never wanted to give you a 'like', because your're the buhari kinda person but, the post above is worth my 'like'.
Come to think of it,
What will your like or share contribute to our post or life?!
The way you Nairaland kids reason sometimes is baffling.
We make our posts and move on.
Shove your likes and shares where they belong kiddo.
So annoying!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by MylezKayn(m): 11:38am On Oct 01, 2019
I'll advise you to maybe go for 4 years course (Bsc)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Mandesz(m): 11:38am On Oct 01, 2019
Same question has bin asked year in and year out but Nigeria poverty n unemployment rate has not improved. it's high time we asked questions on things that will av effect on economy n std of living. things dt differentiate Nigeria from U.S, France, etc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 01, 2019
this is dicey. But I feel getting proper education should be better same time if you can. you should also try to develop those IT skills on your own. win win

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Ayotemide(f): 11:38am On Oct 01, 2019
No matter how education is paraded as thrash, it puts a foot in the door for you. I have had need to register for IT courses that required a Bsc of any kind to be admitted. The number of years not withstanding get that certificate in the bag also.

If you had learned right all these years, you would be sufficient enough to stand Alone and act as a freelance software developer well without holding on to some job.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by NonFarmPayrol: 11:38am On Oct 01, 2019
Get some Cisco and some other key web applications development skills

Go to school for fun and for the knowledge

If you go to university in Nigeria with the aim of job in mind
Am sorry you will be disappointed

When I finished sec school in 2007 I was flat broke
Spent years learning trading. And had my major breaks. When I got good at it
As a student in school I was already living a normal life or the life some graduates look up to live after school.
Utilise yours 20s well cause after that you will become a family person with more on your hands

15 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by vastolord4(m): 11:39am On Oct 01, 2019
If your school is going to be in Nigeria, there Is nothing your going to do with your certificate. Just do sharp, come out and hustle.. my opinion

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by MrHistorian: 11:39am On Oct 01, 2019

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Omenkata: 11:39am On Oct 01, 2019
[s]
post=82735451:
Okay.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Kokaine(m): 11:39am On Oct 01, 2019
Especially for the field of ICT, a university degree may not help your skills. I am an electrical engineer and I delved into IT. I am a web designer now with skills in JavaScript ES6. I learnt everything from YouTube videos. School has a rather rigid curriculum that doesn't change easily over time. Its hard to adapt university education to the competencies required of the real world out there. Doing courses outside school keeps you afloat with current trends. For example: the highest in-demand skills presently is in GIS and data science. But how many Nigerian schools offer courses like that.

But if the school is abroad, then fine, else... All these courses in good it schools will give you all the confidence you need in any labour market.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by oyolohi: 11:40am On Oct 01, 2019
You have 1 million dollars to pay someone.

A. Someone with a good professional training
B. Someone with a bachelor degree after 6 years of study

Who will you give your money to?

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Calibate101(f): 11:40am On Oct 01, 2019
Ff
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 01, 2019
25?
I will only advise you to study at this age in the West,but here?
Well,follow your heart.
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 01, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Emrixx(f): 11:41am On Oct 01, 2019
Most firm don't care what ur professional skills are just get ur BSC and become sellable and in the nearest future when there's money u can go for other skills

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by ithink7: 11:41am On Oct 01, 2019
Guy, no amount of certification can cover for a degree. You still have a lot of years ahead in life so you should be thinking bigger.

In this our IT industry, certification is only an addition. Without a degree, you would be sabotaging your own future. The case might be a little different if you're in the USA where people are employed based on skills and not necessarily degree. But even in United State, as an immigrant, your chances are very slim without a degree.

2. University isn't just a place to get a degree, it's also a networking environment. You can never tell who you'll meet in school. Maybe one of your classmates might have the opportunity to work at Mobil and help you get in, or another classmates might show you the way to get a masters degree in the US and you end up moving all your family over. Even if you decide to be an entrepreneur, university friends and colleagues are always invaluable. This is a tip: The higher you go in life, the more people judge you based on your association. People will be reluctant to give you some opportunity if they get to realise "he no go school".

3. University isn't just for a degree, it's also a place to learn culture. When I say culture, I mean work ethics and composure. Those difficult days in school are meant to teach you never to give up in your dreams. You also learn how successful people work. Most people don't get to realize that successful people are workaholics. No one can do shakara for you after going through those nerve wrenching experience of a university.

Get a degree no matter how long. You're not getting the degree for today but for latter opportunities in life. Get certifications with it. The sky is your limit.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by wman(m): 11:41am On Oct 01, 2019
Your BSc is extremely important. Forget any rubbish talk of school na scam
IT firms and companies will pick someone with a skilled BSc over a skilled school cert holder. The discrimination is high, competition is tough, and there are several skilled graduates available for hire today.

In the future, you might want to migrate to Canada, the USA and other European companies as a tech expatriate. A university degree makes it much easier for you. That certificate is tied to several things.

You can register for the part-time program, work in your spare time to earn money for yourself and your family. You can even go into graphics design, video editing, website design, data science, machine learning, A.I and other advanced skills that you can earn money freelancing part time.

Please, don't let anyone tell you that school is a scam. It will broaden your horizon and open you up to several opportunities.

Nigeria is hard. Being a Computer Science graduate with diverse skills will make things easier for you.

Forget about the little you are earning at your place of work. You can earn much more, employ others, live a comfortable life and build houses if you don't limit yourself.

Don't get too comfortable with the little you earn that you deprive yourself of a bright future.

GO BACK TO SCHOOL! and learn better skills.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by friendlyadvice: 11:42am On Oct 01, 2019
Olodo can't you do both?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! I Need To Meet N500m Deposit Target Before June 30 2015 / Should I Move To South Africa Or Abuja / How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.