Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,159 members, 7,829,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? (18664 Views)

Which Of These Professional Courses Should I Go For / You Don’t Need A Four-year Degree To Work With Us – Says Apple, Netflix & Google / Foreign Masters Degree Or Professional Training In ElC&A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Cyberfemtex(m): 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2019
You don't have tertiary education and your write up is dope? Good Lord cool

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 01, 2019
Cyberfemtex:
You don't have tertiary education and your write up is dope? Good Lord cool
he is exposed,that's why.
You don't learn everything in a classroom undecided

5 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 01, 2019
wman:

Dangote and Otedola both went to school.

That's what he is trying to tell you.
Ok. Otedola was a printer who was fully engaged in the business with his father back in the days. At least ,I know one of his father's friends in shomolu too, now very old. He later went to school but whatever he acquired subsequently as degree wasn't the source of his wealth today. Degree is good to have like I mentioned in my post...its just a foundation.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 01, 2019
Logobenz:
You said people that don't have degrees and you mentioned Dangote.
So I kind of wondered where you got that from.
You sound funny.Is there any succesful businessman that isn't smart?
How you could judge me to be such a dunce baffles me till now undecided
yes, I did. Dangote had been a successful businessman before he had the ceremonial degree. It wasn't the degree he had that made him. Whatever he had afterwards wasn't the basis of his success today , my point

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Ceyl(m): 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2019
Richdad50:
shocked

I am so proud of you and your resilience in life. You desire to take care of your Mum and siblings and the willingness to sacrifice. God will oil your hands with prosperity and your feet with good tidings.

Son, wisdom in this time is profitable to direct. Go for the part time program of six years and alongside, write professional certifications within the said time. You would have killed two beautiful birds with one stone. Six years is quite a short time with plenty of room to acquire as much certifications beyond your imaginations tailored towards your choice career in computer science.

Perhaps you are inclined towards Cybersecurity and Networking. I had love to see this as your introductory name in six years time;
Bamidele Chukwuma Bsc. CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNP, CRISC, CCSP, CEH

Richdad

On point.
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by chubbyG(m): 12:19pm On Oct 01, 2019
PlzAdvice:
Career Crossroad: Please I Need Professional Advice

I'm making this thread in hope that it will filter through to persons who would be in good position to offer advice.... Not necessarily on "WHAT I SHOULD DO" - but advice that can help me better understand the pros and cons of the 2 choices before me. Thank you.
Here it is.

I am a 25yr old Nigerian male, I completed my secondary school education (SSCE) in 2010 (I had an issue with maths - I had to resit for another exam 2yrs later due to financial limitations).

After my SSCE same year, i had to go for computer training as a "handwork" - Mum was the only one taking care of us, so the prospects of tertiary education wasn't very bright. Along the line during my training, i developed real passion for ICT...and though my training was just on basic computer appreciation and desktop publishing... I gave it my best.... And was really good.

Not to bore us with many lines, time and seasons came, highs and lows.. But I survived through it all... And I shunned all forms of illegality even when it wasn't easy, seeing the ill-gains others were getting from it.

Currently I work in a place, where God, humility, my skills and proficiency got me to and not even my qualifications (I work as (and more than) Secretary - let's say I am the fix-it guy). I've been getting advice from some of the people around that i should try and upgrade myself (qualifications) - atleast to get better shots - but we all know how the job market is today.

Thing is, irrespective of my age, I really desire to get an "education" to better myself than i currently am - not limited to school (the educational system of our dear country is a sorry state, and the leaders of the institutions are more concern about fees than actually making anything out of the graduates other than offering a certificate backed with signatures and transcript on request) - �

I can't quit my job to go full time after 9yrs of my SSCE, plus i need the job to support myself, siblings and Mum too....and should i consider schooling, I need the job to finance myself - seeing that there's no sponsor in sight.

In the light of the above, I can only go for a part time programme, but when the advert for the school i intend getting the form from, I saw that it would be a 6-year long programme...Good Lord! I had been told it was 5years (Which was still a bit considerable) before now!

Now this is where I'm at cross roads:

Should I really give in another 6 years to acquire this degree (Computer Science)?

At the end of it, would I have really gotten anything marketable from the programme (Unless what I learn out on my own) apart from getting the certificate?

It's no news how even some graduates remain unemployed or under employed even after school....Is the value of a B.Sc any more important to getting success?

What I really want is an to learn professional skills in ICT that can make me really marketable and not just going to school for 6years to get the degree. Are there less lengthy professional courses or career paths that I can follow to master certain fields in ICT that can make me employable for my skills? Certification courses et al?

I'm really confused.

Bro, to be completely honest with you, school is good, but there is zero guarantee your life will be better with a university certificate. Time isn't on your side considering you will have to combine working and schooling, had it been you had a sponsor it would have been easier. I am highly impressed with your writing skills, you write better than many graduates.
My advice, learn IT skills, programming, software development etc... That is the hot cake right now, in the IT industry degree doesn't matter, it's your skills that matter.
Good luck. ..

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by jaxxy(m): 12:19pm On Oct 01, 2019
What skol gave u 6years for computer science? Try noun or Unilag distance learning I think it’s better and faster from what I hear.

Now on getting a certificate or not it depends on ur plans really and the timeframe. If u plan to work for ur self and ur absolutely sure u have the capacity and skill set u don’t need to waste time with any degree bt if u not sure and may need to work in a cooperative establishment and aquire sm certain experience u will need to have ur degree and relevant certifications. Cheers
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
yes, I did. Dangote had been a successful businessman before he had the ceremonial degree. It wasn't the degree he had that made him. Whatever he had afterwards wasn't the basis of his success today , my point
Get your facts right first.you seem to be flopping too much for someone that knows him personally.
He got his degree in Egypt after basic education.
How Does a person even become made in business,abandon all of it to go pursue a degree?Is that even possible to you?
Dangote has been made before getting a bachelor's degree?come on...
Also,I never said you must get a degree to be the best you can be,was just pointing out some flops you made.
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Taam(m): 12:22pm On Oct 01, 2019
whichever choice you make, always be sure you finish it till the end. i finish SSCE same as you in 2010, go for re-sit same as you in 2012 for the same reason. and now i have a diploma and degree qualification but not in computer field but PHE and Human Anatomy respectively.
i also had passion for IT, i learnt hardware repair as an apprentice for one and half years before my re-sit, couple with a software engineering programme on SQL server for Database Administrator in NIIT, but i learnt coding from different website online such as java, python e.t.c, my best advice is to go for a four years computer science B.Sc program and learn coding online while in school, you can run it part-time either private or public depending on your pocket, after school you can write professional exams and be a member of professional bodies. your certificate will carry you to where you need to be and your professional background will make you to survive and hold on to your job. you can also deals with CISCO (for networking) or ComptiaA (For hardware)
you learn the mathematical model of programming in school and you learn coding and code implementation online, it would help you a lots and makes you stand out but you have to be ready to learn, both certificate of B.Sc. and professional course are just ordinary papers in the real IT world, what makes you, is what you can do because IT fields is not abstract but deals with reality.

4 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by uchesmith14: 12:22pm On Oct 01, 2019
Bro I would advice u to apply for both the professional course and also for a degree course too..... Am an undergraduate of Computer Science and I would sincerely tell you that what they are teaching us in school is 40% compare to what I have gained in my professional course am currently undergoing too, you can enroll for a Part - Time Course so you can also have time for the professional course too..... if you can afford both.
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Finchmgh: 12:23pm On Oct 01, 2019
My little Advice is this;
Since you are already in ICT field, I will prefer you go for computer programming instead of wasting 6yrs in the university to study computer science.

Let me tell you the truth...There is no practicality and skill acquisition in Nigeria Universities. Computer science graduates from Nigeria Universities are novices in computer skills except those that went for additional training in computer science.

Go straight to computer programming and the sky will be your starting point.
Look for a good computer school where you can acquire programming skills.
P.S. what really matter is your skills (i.e what you can really do) and not your paper qualification.

The future is computer. The whole world is going digital almost in all aspect of our lives. Every other things will go obsolete, but computer programming will continue to wax stronger in all sincerity.

If I had this orientation and opportunity while I was growing up, computer programming would have be my point of call.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Kokaine(m): 12:30pm On Oct 01, 2019
jambor:
Hello, pls I will like to reach you.
okay sir
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Bitchiamjay(m): 12:30pm On Oct 01, 2019
I could recall when my dad told my uncle to enrol for a 4years degree programme but he chose professional course over that.
Years later, He got the opportunity to work for FAAN'. He was among those getting candidates for the main source but couldn't put his own name because he had no degree.
He missed that job opportunity and still jobless with his professional course.

5 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Emmymarvel(m): 12:32pm On Oct 01, 2019
PlzAdvice:
Cc: Lalasticlala

Sir Seun

et al

Please I need this to be exposed. Please
Pls do a part time program even if its ond n then hnd and along d way run professional certification training of your choice in ict. Programming is cool if u inclined to it because it brings in money quicker for u once u begin to master it.
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 01, 2019
Logobenz:
Get your facts right first.you seem to be flopping too much for someone that knows him personally.
He got his degree in Egypt after basic education.
How Does a person even become made in business,abandon all of it to go pursue a degree?Is that even possible to you?
Dangote has been made before getting a bachelor's degree?come on...
Also,I never said you must get a degree to be the best you can be,was just pointing out some flops you made.
Lol. It's you who's mixing up issues here. Yes, he had a degree from Al-Azhar University, in Egypt... and I dare you tell me in what year.... Dangote went to a Cairo uni to earn a degree (years after he had been a successful businessman). He didn't earn a degree to be successful. Going to the university was just an afterthought to him. Somebody whose daughter was seeking an admission into a university before he too thought of doing same. See, there's no point dragging anything with you here. That's not my style. If you dont believe me, then you could always keep quiet instead of embarrassing yourself. See the way you're just shooting yourself in the leg. This day and age, you don't have to physically appear on a university campus before earning their degree as you said it's not possible for him to abandon all, to pursue a degree. What happens to online course hun, mr know all?
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by lollybizzu(m): 12:37pm On Oct 01, 2019
Logobenz:
he is exposed,that's why.
You don't learn everything in a classroom undecided
Yes all knowledge are not taught in one school.
The guy is definitely exposed.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by africanman85: 12:40pm On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
My dear friend, there's nothing confusing in your matter. Please pursue a professional course in computing. I can link you with a friend who had HND in computer science but refused to go further for his PGD and MSc. He embraced computer professional courses immediately after we graduated in year 2000. Now, he has reached the top of his career by bagging the lab-based CCIE, wbich is the IT Peack in networking globally. He achieved this feat 3 years ago. Now, he's hired by a leading logistics company in the world wells..fgo, raking thousands of USD in his pocket monthly. He's also a consiltant to several IT companies, including new horizons and a telecoms giants , Verizon. Don't bother waste your time with one degree course which would end up tying you down. 6 years is enough to make it in life bro. It's not worth spending on a degree.
Can you link me too ? Thank u
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
Lol. It's you who's mixing up issues here. Yes, he had a degree from Al-Azhar University, in Egypt... and I dare you tell me in what year.... Dangote went to a Cairo uni to earn a degree (years after he had been a successful businessman). He didn't earn a degree to be successful. Going to the university was just an afterthought to him. Somebody whose daughter had was seeking an admission into a university before he too thought of doing same. See, there's no point dragging anything with you here. That's not my style. If you dont believe me, then you could always keep quiet instead of embarrassing yourself.
Sorry you are the one embarrassing yourself.
So much arrogance in ignorance!
How Does a succesful businessman leave his successful business in Nigeria,goes off to Egypt to study for 3-4 years leaving his business behind?
Answer this genuinely and I will believe you.
How do you even think a person from that kind of family will be left to start trading immediately after basic school without going for tertiary education?
I never said the degree made him btw,It makes no one!
Quit using arrogance to mask your flawed logic,it won't help you here.
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by SolarHub(m): 12:45pm On Oct 01, 2019
Please if your proposed education is in Nigeria don't bother just go for your certification.

Happy Independence my people

Grab this independence promo today.. Check my signature
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 01, 2019
Logobenz:
Sorry you are the one embarrassing yourself.
So much arrogance in ignorance!
How Does a succesful businessman leave his successful business in Nigeria,goes off to Egypt to study for 3-4 years leaving his business behind?
Answer this genuinely and I will believe you.
How do you even think a person from that kind of family will be left to start trading immediately after basic school without going for tertiary education?
I never said the degree made him btw,It makes no one!
Quit using arrogance to mask your flawed logic,it won't help you here.
Now I'd answer you intelligently. Sorry sir, if I sounded arrogant to you. This day and age, you do not have to physically appear in a university , abandoning your business, family et al to earn a degree up to PhD in any part of the world sir. There are online options available to everyone who's interested in bagging the so-called degree. I had an MBA from UCLA and it was purely online-based. I only appeared on the graduation day physically. All the course modules were available online which I took. In same vein , dangote doesn't have to go to a Cairo uni to take a course. While in his office or on weekends, he can do the same online. Does that make sense to you now?

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by alabimustcry: 12:46pm On Oct 01, 2019
Richdad50:
shocked

I am so proud of you and your resilience in life. You desire to take care of your Mum and siblings and the willingness to sacrifice. God will oil your hands with prosperity and your feet with good tidings.

Son, wisdom in this time is profitable to direct. Go for the part time program of six years and alongside, write professional certifications within the said time. You would have killed two beautiful birds with one stone. Six years is quite a short time with plenty of room to acquire as much certifications beyond your imaginations tailored towards your choice career in computer science.

Perhaps you are inclined towards Cybersecurity and Networking. I had love to see this as your introductory name in six years time;
Bamidele Chukwuma Bsc. CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNP, CRISC, CCSP, CEH

Richdad

with all these qualification... am sure u will be among the applicant looking for job about
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by SirLakes: 12:47pm On Oct 01, 2019
I'm glad there are still right thinking nlanders here.

I laff whenever people talk down on varsity degree.

Yes varsity degree might not get you far but couple it with the right skills, you will FLY wink
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Omenkata: 12:47pm On Oct 01, 2019
[s]
post=82735451:
Professional qualification is the degree that will fetches you a job soon after you complete it, and it will decide the profession you want for a lifetime,
the good thing is that you are on the right path already.
Professional courses, are advanced studies in professional or vocational fields, and are designed to provide students with professional knowledge for application in professional practice.
Consider taking a professional course as you want to strengthen your skills in Computer related area, which you are currently good at.
Going for a Professional course will be the best for you.
But all said and done, everything still depends on you,
it is a decision you have to make personally.

Wishing you all the very best for the future young man.

Come to think of it,
What will your like or share contribute to our post or life?!
The way you Nairaland kids reason sometimes is baffling.
We make our posts and move on.
Shove your likes and shares where they belong kiddo.
So annoying!
[/s]
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Macgreat(m): 12:47pm On Oct 01, 2019
Take your professional certification and at the same time enrol to study at National open university of Nigeria (NOUN), computer science, information and communication technology are four year course. in fact, less than four years.

all the best.

3 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by yemkoguru(m): 12:49pm On Oct 01, 2019
strangest:
Which school takes 6years? Bros go buy NOUN form

must easier bro
currently doing my project and thanks to distance learning opportunity NOUN is providing...

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
Now I'd answer you intelligently. Sorry sir, if I sounded arrogant to you. This day and age, you do not have to physically appear in a university , abandoning your business, family et al to earn a degree up to PhD in any part of the world sir. There are online options available to everyone who's interested in bagging the so-called degree. I had an MBA from UCLA and it was purely online-based. I only appeared on the graduation day physically. All the course modules were available online which I took. In same vein , dangote doesn't have to go to a Cairo uni to take a course. While in his office or on weekends, he can do the same online. Does that make sense to you now?
I would have agreed with you if Dangote studied in "this day and age" according to your logic.
You can send a pm so I show you I know very well what I'm talking about.
Some of us know a thing or 2 about him too wink
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by julisam(m): 12:52pm On Oct 01, 2019
Well, I will tell you the bitter truth, upgrade your technical skills and knowledge in your occupation then latter you can go for career extension in a complementary professional field.
Don't bother about Nigerian educational certificates they as valuable as an old newspaper. Get a foreign educational training if you can afford it. Nigerian educational system does not focus on skills acquisition but on certification.
Think of what you can do to solve the everyday problems of individual and corporate organisation locally and internationally then start smiling to the bank.
Thanks for the interest you showed in yourself and your family members.

3 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 01, 2019
Logobenz:
I would have agreed with you if Dangote studied in "this day and age" according to your logic.
You can send a pm so I show you I know very well what I'm talking about.
Some of us know them(the family) personally too. wink
My friend, there's no need to send you a pm. I dont even do that in the first place, sorry . I'm very relevant in dangote foundation but I wont say more than that. He had a degree, yes! Agreed...and I know the year precisely but he's entitled to his privacy and he's much respected by us all, same with Adams oshiomohle who went to school to acquire more qualifications because of his political ambitions. He even finished the programme while in office as governor. I dont have to be saying all about dangote's education without his permission because some details like dates and when he graduated wasn't even available in public domain, so why would I be the one to be saying all that? This is a public forum, remember. My point is, Dangote didn't go for any degree course until years after he had been doing business successfully. Cheers
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
My friend, there's no need to send you a pm. I dont even do that in the first place, sorry . I'm very relevant in dangote foundation but I wont say more than that. He had a degree, yes! Agreed...and I know the year precisely but he's entitled to his privacy and he's much respected by us all, same with Adams oshiomohle who went to school to acquire more qualifications because of his political ambitions. He even finished the programme while in office as governor. I dont have to be saying all about dangote's education without his permission because some details like dates and when he graduated wasn't even available in public domain, so why would I be the one to be saying all that? This is a public forum, remember. My point is, Dangote didn't go for any degree course until years after he had been doing business successfully. Cheers
Well,you live to learn another day.
It is clear I won't be the one to school you properly on this But I believe someone else will someday.
Just let your ego and arrogance down when you meet that person so you can assimilate properly,rather than going back and forth unnecessarily with people that can give you credible information wink
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by tollyboy5(m): 1:09pm On Oct 01, 2019
Ayotemide:
No matter how education is paraded as thrash, it puts a foot in the door for you. I have had need to register for IT courses that required a Bsc of any kind to be admitted. The number of years not withstanding get that certificate in the bag also.

If you had learned right all these years, you would be sufficient enough to stand Alone and act as a freelance software developer well without holding on to some job.
most of you advising on education I mean bsc don't read the part where he is the bread winner of his family undecided you guys are just typing what you felt was best not what he needs right now.

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 01, 2019
Logobenz:
Well,you live to learn another day.
It is clear I won't be the one to school you properly on this But I believe someone else will someday.
Just let your ego and arrogance down when you meet that person so you can assimilate properly,rather than going back and forth unnecessarily with people that can give you credible information wink
Lol. Okay sir. I'm still on the point you bolded, and I dont see somebody of his calibre to be lying to us in the first place. Have you heard of dangote foundation? Please google it and see what we have done together. For your information. We were at the Africa Centre together in NYC recently Take care
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
Lol. Okay sir. I'm still on the point you bolded, and I dont see somebody of his calibre to be lying to us in the first place. Have you heard of dangote foundation? Please google it and see what we have done together. For your information. We were at the Africa Centre together in NYC recently Take care
You assume too much!
I would have loved you to send that PM and receive the shock of your life.
There is still room for you to reconsider Anyways,so you get schooled properly.Then you'll know...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! I Need To Meet N500m Deposit Target Before June 30 2015 / How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? / Some Moment You Can Relate To In Arms Force Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.