Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,561 members, 7,837,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? (18681 Views)

Which Of These Professional Courses Should I Go For / You Don’t Need A Four-year Degree To Work With Us – Says Apple, Netflix & Google / Foreign Masters Degree Or Professional Training In ElC&A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by strangest(m): 11:42am On Oct 01, 2019
Which school takes 6years? Bros go buy NOUN form

3 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Maldini212(m): 11:42am On Oct 01, 2019
Learn how to make money
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by iHart(m): 11:42am On Oct 01, 2019
In ICT what you can practically do matters more than your academic qualification. With this you should know what is best for you.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by quinSonia(f): 11:43am On Oct 01, 2019
@PlzAdvice

CSC in school can be frustrating, with all the coding, programming etc and with the lecturers also not happing matters.I honestly want you to acquire a certificate but 6years is damn long.

and also if the professional course you are currently doing brings you income pls go for it,and las las na MONEY BE FINE BOY

#shouttoallSINGLEMOMS and to all FIRST BORNS.,you guys are the real deal

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by VillageHead: 11:44am On Oct 01, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:
cool

Coming from someone with multiple Master degrees...

Study yourself well. The Nigerian axiom that "Own your own business" is not always true, we can't all be entrepreneurs.

If you are academically inclined... go for the degree. If not, go for technical /vocational training.

BUT, at least get higher education, if you don't it might come back to bite you, given our environment that is inclined towards paper certificates.

Nice advice!

Take this.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by ruboy(m): 11:44am On Oct 01, 2019
I'll prefer u put God first in taking ur decision. Tho getting a degree is better but a professional course is best. A professional course will give u a place even outside this country.
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Hollyb(f): 11:45am On Oct 01, 2019
For the degree, do an online course at NOUN. It shouldn't be more that 5 years highest. And continue with your job

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by theGigolo: 11:45am On Oct 01, 2019
oyolohi:
You have 1 million dollars to pay someone.

A. Someone with a good professional training
B. Someone with a bachelor degree after 6 years of study

Who will you give your money to?

You are a straight shooter sir

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by PrimadonnaO(f): 11:45am On Oct 01, 2019
Ayotemide:
No matter how education is paraded as thrash, it puts a foot in the door for you. I have had need to register for IT courses that required a Bsc of any kind to be admitted. The number of years not withstanding get that certificate in the bag also.

If you had learned right all these years, you would be sufficient enough to stand Alone and act as a freelance software developer well without holding on to some job.

You've made so much sense. kiss

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Maldini212(m): 11:47am On Oct 01, 2019
oyolohi:
You have 1 million dollars to pay someone.

A. Someone with a good professional training
B. Someone with a bachelor degree after 6 years of study

Who will you give your money to?

Na the person wey go do the work better

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 01, 2019
Professional courses of course! If our ladies could go for tailoring after graduating and are now big time fashion designers who export our dresses to the world, then, what's the fuss about a degree?

If my friend Ngozi who went to the UK for her master's degree in Law could end up a renown global fashion designer and makes a minimum of 2,400 GBP profit monthly, without owning a single sewing machine but only sells via her website to those in the diaspora from the comfort of her apartment in the uk then who degree epp?

If we can, in my company acquire so much training skills across the globe which costs lots of money and now being hired by multinationals and preferred than those who had PHDs in same field, who a degree epp, my people? We only went to school to construct a foundation upon which main skills and professions are standing. Degree is nothing my people. Michael Dell has proved it, mark Zuckerberg has proved it, Bill Gates has proved it, kiyisaki has probed it... our own dangote and otedola have proved it and of course, my humble self has also proved it . End of story .

4 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by johnkay1(m): 11:48am On Oct 01, 2019
Go to School for respect of it (that is if you have the money,) and also do professional course to equip yourself.

Today's degree is just to have that "graduate tag"
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by jambor(m): 11:48am On Oct 01, 2019
Hello, pls I will like to reach you.
Kokaine:
Especially for the field of ICT, a university degree may not help your skills. I am an electrical engineer and I delved into IT. I am a web designer now with skills in JavaScript ES6. I learnt everything from YouTube videos.
But if the school is abroad, then fine, else... All these courses in good it schools will give you all the confidence you need in any labour market.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Zeinymira(f): 11:48am On Oct 01, 2019
@Plzadvice, you can try odl computer science program at LAUTECH. Strike doesn't affect it and it is a 5 year course.
At the long run, you'll definitely need a certificate and you don't know what the future holds.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by slinkky(m): 11:49am On Oct 01, 2019
PlzAdvice:
Career Crossroad: Please I Need Professional Advice

I'm making this thread in hope that it will filter through to persons who would be in good position to offer advice.... Not necessarily on "WHAT I SHOULD DO" - but advice that can help me better understand the pros and cons of the 2 choices before me. Thank you.
Here it is.

I am a 25yr old Nigerian male, I completed my secondary school education (SSCE) in 2010 (I had an issue with maths - I had to resit for another exam 2yrs later due to financial limitations).

After my SSCE same year, i had to go for computer training as a "handwork" - Mum was the only one taking care of us, so the prospects of tertiary education wasn't very bright. Along the line during my training, i developed real passion for ICT...and though my training was just on basic computer appreciation and desktop publishing... I gave it my best.... And was really good.

Not to bore us with many lines, time and seasons came, highs and lows.. But I survived through it all... And I shunned all forms of illegality even when it wasn't easy, seeing the ill-gains others were getting from it.

Currently I work in a place, where God, humility, my skills and proficiency got me to and not even my qualifications (I work as (and more than) Secretary - let's say I am the fix-it guy). I've been getting advice from some of the people around that i should try and upgrade myself (qualifications) - atleast to get better shots - but we all know how the job market is today.

Thing is, irrespective of my age, I really desire to get an "education" to better myself than i currently am - not limited to school (the educational system of our dear country is a sorry state, and the leaders of the institutions are more concern about fees than actually making anything out of the graduates other than offering a certificate backed with signatures and transcript on request) - �

I can't quit my job to go full time after 9yrs of my SSCE, plus i need the job to support myself, siblings and Mum too....and should i consider schooling, I need the job to finance myself - seeing that there's no sponsor in sight.

In the light of the above, I can only go for a part time programme, but when the advert for the school i intend getting the form from, I saw that it would be a 6-year long programme...Good Lord! I had been told it was 5years (Which was still a bit considerable) before now!

Now this is where I'm at cross roads:

Should I really give in another 6 years to acquire this degree (Computer Science)?

At the end of it, would I have really gotten anything marketable from the programme (Unless what I learn out on my own) apart from getting the certificate?

It's no news how even some graduates remain unemployed or under employed even after school....Is the value of a B.Sc any more important to getting success?

What I really want is an to learn professional skills in ICT that can make me really marketable and not just going to school for 6years to get the degree. Are there less lengthy professional courses or career paths that I can follow to master certain fields in ICT that can make me employable for my skills? Certification courses et al?

I'm really confused.
Why not enrol in the Open University to get the degree, and still have time for the professional courses.

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
Professional courses of course! If our ladies could go for tailoring after graduating and are now big time fashion designers who export our dresses to the world, then, what the fuss about a degree?

If my friend Ngozi who went to the UK for her master's degree in Law could end up a renown global fashion designer and makes a minimum of 2,400 GBP profit monthly, without owning a single sewing machine but only sells via her website to those in the diaspora from the comfort of her apartment in the uk then who degree epp?

If we can, in my company acquire so much training skills across the globe which costs lots of money and now being hired by multinationals and preferred than those who had PHDs in same field, who a degree epp, my people? We only went to school to construct a foundation upon which main skills and professions are standing. Degree is nothing my people. Michael Dell has proved it, mark Zuckerberg has proved it, Bill Gates has proved it, kiyisaki has probed it... our own dangote and otedola have proved it and of course, my humble self has also proved it . End of story .
Remove Dangote from your list. undecided
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by bluefilm: 11:50am On Oct 01, 2019
Certificate mentality will kill so many people in this country.

Nonsense. angry

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by lenghtinny(m): 11:50am On Oct 01, 2019
The main question should be whether the degree takes 6 years part time in all Unis in the country or that particular Uni?

I'd advise you to make that sacrifice now... Trust me no matter how useless you think the degree is, you can never tell how handy it might come in the nearest future....

Since it's part time, you should have ample time to focus on other things also but please don't forfeit the opportunity...

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by PrimadonnaO(f): 11:51am On Oct 01, 2019
No matter what anyone says, you still need a degree in this country. Trust me. You'll never get over not having it... corporate organizations would take advantage of you... or not even give you a chance to begin with.

Go to NOUN while you continue working. Or better still, do the part-time for the 6 years. You can still add whatever professional certs you feel like having. Time flies quickly, you'll be all done before you know it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Omenkata: 11:51am On Oct 01, 2019
[s]
post=82735451:
Professional qualification is the degree that will fetches you a job soon after you complete it, and it will decide the profession you want for a lifetime,
the good thing is that you are on the right path already.
Professional courses, are advanced studies in professional or vocational fields, and are designed to provide students with professional knowledge for application in professional practice.
Consider taking a professional course as you want to strengthen your skills in Computer related area, which you are currently good at.
Going for a Professional course will be the best for you.
But all said and done, everything still depends on you,
it is a decision you have to make personally.

Wishing you all the very best for the future young man.
[/s]
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nickymichy(m): 11:53am On Oct 01, 2019
My brother try national open university.. (NOUN)..u don't even need to leave ur job..Nigeria is all about certificate.. Just get DAT to secure urself...may God guide u man

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by kelvinatkins(m): 11:54am On Oct 01, 2019
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 01, 2019
Logobenz:
Remove Dangote from your list. undecided
No please. I've met with him before and I've heard him speak. He's a highly intelligent being. Come to think of it, is he the only northerner who had access to money? Where is dantanta today? Where is mai deribe, where is Marwa and his Albarka air, where is chachangi now? ...and the list is endless. He's the only northern businessman standing. I respect him a slot
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by sylve11: 11:55am On Oct 01, 2019
post=82735451:
Professional qualification is the degree that will fetches you a job soon after you complete it, and it will decide the profession you want for a lifetime,
the good thing is that you are on the right path already.
Professional courses, are advanced studies in professional or vocational fields, and are designed to provide students with professional knowledge for application in professional practice.
Consider taking a professional course as you want to strengthen your skills in Computer related area, which you are currently good at.
Going for a Professional course will be the best for you.
But all said and done, everything still depends on you,
it is a decision you have to make personally.

Wishing you all the very best for the future young man.

i never wanted to give you a 'like', because your're the buhari kinda person but, the post above is worth my 'like'.

@ op, go the professional course way and it'd interest you to know that it'd be a ++ for you if you'd like to explore the oil sector las las.............. wink cool
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by wman(m): 11:57am On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
No please. I've met with him before and I've heard him speak. He's a highly intelligent being. Come to think of it, is he the only northerner who had access to money? Where is dantanta today? Where is mai deribe, where is Marwa and his Albarka air, where is chachangi now? ...and the list is endless. He's the only northern businessman standing. I respect him a slot

Dangote and Otedola both went to school.

That's what he is trying to tell you.

1 Like

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Alfredah01: 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
Professional curse should be the best for u, because you get to learn and master the skills more and might even be an employer than limiting yourself to be an employee, u can employ the same graduates and use their knowledge to grow your firm
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by beautyhound(m): 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
Seems a lot of pple didn't read ur post, most jumped into conclusion (Typical Nigerians). Anyways, I really love ur article, shows u have a good grasp of English tho u only v SSCE. My piece of advice to u is u find a shorter part time institution than d one u saw, not necessarily ur fav institution (6 years is long ntori olohun). I will be tempted to tell u to do professional courses and forget a degree but really this is Nigeria not USA or sometin. Degree matters a lot ere... nd with dedication, hardwork, drive and God u can come out wif a first class with lots of scholarship and opportunities. Use ur bkgrd to motivate ursef bro. Don't lose focus cos it wudnt b easy.

3 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 01, 2019
fairfora:
You said people that don't have degrees and you mentioned Dangote.
So I kind of wondered where you got that from.
You sound funny.Is there any succesful businessman that isn't smart?
How you could judge me to be such a dunce baffles me till now undecided
Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by lollybizzu(m): 12:04pm On Oct 01, 2019
Whatever decision you're making, just make sure you don't quit your job.

Be on that job and achieve all you want to achieve. There's no one path to success; just principles.

You can do pt and while at it write professional exams.
You can even do ft, yes you can... This is Nigeria, if you know you know.

In the end, God will help you.

And to all struggling graduates out there, don't give up, keep pushing, keep fighting and all will be stories one day.

2 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Sirwallace(m): 12:05pm On Oct 01, 2019
Dude, you have the best of response you can get from some of the guys here.
Speaking as a graduate, a degree in computer science will expose you to different area of ICT but trust me wont be easy in a nigeria school if you do it fulltime unless you can afford private school.

Since you need your job for upkeep and family support, enroll in distance learning, part time or NOUN and continue with your job.

Then go for professional online course and thank me later.

4 Likes

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 01, 2019
PlzAdvice:
Career Crossroad: Please I Need Professional Advice

I'm making this thread in hope that it will filter through to persons who would be in good position to offer advice.... Not necessarily on "WHAT I SHOULD DO" - but advice that can help me better understand the pros and cons of the 2 choices before me. Thank you.
Here it is.

I am a 25yr old Nigerian male, I completed my secondary school education (SSCE) in 2010 (I had an issue with maths - I had to resit for another exam 2yrs later due to financial limitations).

After my SSCE same year, i had to go for computer training as a "handwork" - Mum was the only one taking care of us, so the prospects of tertiary education wasn't very bright. Along the line during my training, i developed real passion for ICT...and though my training was just on basic computer appreciation and desktop publishing... I gave it my best.... And was really good.

Not to bore us with many lines, time and seasons came, highs and lows.. But I survived through it all... And I shunned all forms of illegality even when it wasn't easy, seeing the ill-gains others were getting from it.

Currently I work in a place, where God, humility, my skills and proficiency got me to and not even my qualifications (I work as (and more than) Secretary - let's say I am the fix-it guy). I've been getting advice from some of the people around that i should try and upgrade myself (qualifications) - atleast to get better shots - but we all know how the job market is today.

Thing is, irrespective of my age, I really desire to get an "education" to better myself than i currently am - not limited to school (the educational system of our dear country is a sorry state, and the leaders of the institutions are more concern about fees than actually making anything out of the graduates other than offering a certificate backed with signatures and transcript on request) - �

I can't quit my job to go full time after 9yrs of my SSCE, plus i need the job to support myself, siblings and Mum too....and should i consider schooling, I need the job to finance myself - seeing that there's no sponsor in sight.

In the light of the above, I can only go for a part time programme, but when the advert for the school i intend getting the form from, I saw that it would be a 6-year long programme...Good Lord! I had been told it was 5years (Which was still a bit considerable) before now!

Now this is where I'm at cross roads:

Should I really give in another 6 years to acquire this degree (Computer Science)?

At the end of it, would I have really gotten anything marketable from the programme (Unless what I learn out on my own) apart from getting the certificate?

It's no news how even some graduates remain unemployed or under employed even after school....Is the value of a B.Sc any more important to getting success?

What I really want is an to learn professional skills in ICT that can make me really marketable and not just going to school for 6years to get the degree. Are there less lengthy professional courses or career paths that I can follow to master certain fields in ICT that can make me employable for my skills? Certification courses et al?

I'm really confused.
My dear friend, there's nothing confusing in your matter. The problem of unemployment faced by millions of our youths in Nigeria today was caused by our government by placing so much emphasis on university degrees. Please pursue a professional course in computing. I can link you with a friend who had HND in computer science but refused to go further for his PGD and MSc. He embraced computer professional courses immediately after we graduated in year 2000. Now, he has reached the top of his career by bagging the lab-based CCIE, which is the IT Peack in networking globally. He's the 3rd Nigerian to have achieved this globally. He achieved this feat 3 years ago. Now, he's hired by a leading logistics company in the world wells..fgo, raking thousands of USD in his pocket monthly. He's also a consiltant to several IT companies, including new horizons and a telecoms giants , Verizon. Don't bother wasting your time on one degree course which would end up tying you down. 6 years is enough to make it in life bro. It's not worth spending on a degree.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6-Year Degree Program Or Professional Courses, Which Should I Go For? by urose93(f): 12:07pm On Oct 01, 2019
Honestly, If this write-up comes from an SSCE holder, then there is still hope in Nigeria.
Your good command of English language got me. You are a very studious n intelligent individual. Whatever you decide and put your mind to do will be successful.
Don't be confused by the many ideas on here.
Some of the forum members here are not half as intelligent as you.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Some Moment You Can Relate To In Arms Force Training / Help! I Need To Meet N500m Deposit Target Before June 30 2015 / How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.